Original artwork courtesy of Heather Giza, University of Michigan.
The 2021 American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Pancreatic Cancer Special Conference took place virtually Sept. 29-30. The meeting, which began on an every-other-year basis in 2012, is now an annual event that brings together junior and senior pancreatic cancer scientists who conduct research in labs and clinics around the world. PanCAN proudly served as the major supporter for this years meeting, and our Scientific & Medical Affairs staff were in attendance.
PanCAN research grant recipients and Scientific & Medical Advisory Board members were featured prominently throughout the meeting as organizers, speakers and discussants. Additionally, the meeting provided an opportunity for graduate students and postdoctoral trainees many from our grantees labs to speak about their work and engage in discussion about their findings and next steps.
The opening rising star keynote was delivered by two-time PanCAN grantee Dr. Andrew Aguirre, who spoke about large-scale efforts to categorize pancreatic cancer tumors into different subtypes, like The Cancer Genome Atlas study that Aguirre co-led. While the broad subtypes can play an important part in determining treatment approaches for each patient, Aguirre and his team also undertook single-cell analyses to understand the diversity of cell types within each patients tumor.
Tailoring a patients treatment to their individual biology is known as precision medicine, and evidence from PanCAN Know Your Tumor service has shown that patients whose treatment aligns with their tumor biology live longer.
PanCAN grantee Dr. Bob Vonderheide (top) moderates pancreatic cancer immunotherapy discussion with speakers Drs. David DeNardo (left) and Reginald Hill.
Another session at the conference focused on immunotherapy for pancreatic cancer patients, and the major talk was given by PanCAN grantee Dr. David DeNardo. In a recent evaluation of our Research Grants Program, DeNardo told us his PanCAN funding came at a critical time in the development of his young career. I received an early-career investigator award at a time when I was debating doing research in breast or pancreatic cancer, he said. Since then my research team has committed to pancreatic cancer research.
Because of PanCAN donors, DeNardo has been able to make contributions to understanding the interactions between pancreatic cancer cells and the patients immune system. For example, his work has shown that certain cell types within the immune system, called dendritic cells, are impaired even at very early stages of pancreatic cancer disease progression. Overcoming this will take a combination immunotherapeutic treatment approach, he said.
The keynote address on the second morning of the meeting was given by Dr. Jennifer Permuth. She spoke about molecular epidemiology using genetic information in combination with data at the population level. This can be applied to monitoring pancreatic cysts, which occur frequently in adults but seldom progress to invasive cancer. Permuth suggested a strategy combining imaging with clues from an individuals cyst fluid and blood. She also spoke about a collaborative effort within Florida to identify and reduce health disparities based on patients race and ethnicity.
Another topic discussed at the special conference was the tumor microenvironment, a complex mixture of cells and tissue types that surround pancreatic tumors. The microenvironment is a defining feature of pancreatic tumors, more pronounced than in other solid tumor types. The roles of the microenvironment have been described as impeding drug delivery, providing a supply of nutrients and oxygen to the tumor and hiding the tumor from the patients immune system.
Dr. Charlene Ogier, one of PanCANs most recent grantees, was invited to speak about her work on cancer-associated fibroblasts, one of the key components of the tumor microenvironment. She shared about these cells involvement with the breakdown of cholesterol, with potential to block their activity as a therapeutic approach to starve the cancer cells.
The meeting also included poster sessions, which featured pre-recorded presentations. A poster highlighting PanCAN Precision PromiseSM adaptive clinical trial platform was presented by Dr. Vincent Picozzi, member of the Precision Promise Steering Committee and chair of its Clinical Trial Consortium. Picozzi described the unique features of Precision Promise, which is currently enrolling patients, including its adaptive nature and innovative statistical approach. These features allow the trial to learn over time and make the drug development process faster, less expensive and involve fewer patients. He also spoke about the Precision Promise teams focus on supportive care, making sure patients overall quality of life and management of symptoms and side effects are prioritized.
The final session of the conference was set up as a debate to discuss different strategies to model pancreatic cancer in a lab setting. Pre-clinical work is critical to determine which therapeutic targets and investigational drugs should be pursued in human clinical trials. However, there is not a single lab model that faithfully recapitulates all aspects of the disease.
Drs. Anirban Maitra (left) and Ken Olive engage in conversation about ways to model pancreatic cancer initiation, progression and treatment response in the lab.
PanCAN grantee Dr. Kenneth Olive took the side in favor of a genetic mouse model, developed by Drs. David Tuveson and Sunil Hingorani from funding from two of PanCANs earliest research grants. Olive provided information about the strengths and limitations of the mouse model, whereas the other speaker, Dr. Phoebe Phillips, joining the conversation all the way from Australia, focused on organoids, which are 3D recapitulations of the tumor and its microenvironment.
At the end of the day, Olive asserted, the only experiments that fail are the ones we dont learn from. The right lab model for each researcher and project depends on the questions theyre seeking to answer. And, as debate moderator and PanCAN grantee and adviser Dr. Anirban Maitra reminded the attendees, Pancreatic cancer researchers are lovers, not fighters. The only thing were fighting is pancreatic cancer.
Here is the original post:
- Georgia Offensive Progress Report Week 12 - CalBearsMaven - November 28th, 2021
- Secessionism Threatens to Upend Bosnia and Herzegovina's Democratic Progress - The National Interest Online - November 28th, 2021
- Cuban happy with progress from Kidd, Harrison - The Official Home of the Dallas Mavericks - Mavs.com - November 28th, 2021
- Markelle Fultz and Jonathan Isaac Continue to Make Progress in Their Rehab - OrlandoMagic.com - November 28th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Anger is a cancer on democracy, progress - Bluffton Today - November 28th, 2021
- Europe is Tested by Waves of Cases that Threaten its Progress Against Pandemic - The New York Times - November 28th, 2021
- NY Jets Robert Saleh has complete faith in the team's plan, but must show progress - NorthJersey.com - November 28th, 2021
- This Thanksgiving, let's be grateful for human progress | TheHill - The Hill - November 28th, 2021
- RFID: Progress, Trends and Prospect - IDTechEx.com - November 28th, 2021
- Bidens confirmations progress at the 300-day mark - Brookings Institution - November 28th, 2021
- Pandemic progress: How far have we come and where are we going? - KXAN.com - November 28th, 2021
- As Focus Intensifies On Rising U.S, Cricket In China Remains A Work In Progress - Forbes - November 28th, 2021
- MEPC 77: For climate progress, shipping needs action from IMO member states on concrete initiatives - Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide - November 28th, 2021
- Shooting victim continues to make progress in recovery - The Salem News - November 28th, 2021
- Austin continues to make progress on bold 2016 sidewalk initiative - Austin Monitor - November 28th, 2021
- UN chief sees firsthand the progress and challenges five years after Colombia's historic peace deal - UN News - November 28th, 2021
- Native Americans See Progress, Work Ahead to Protect Cultural Lands - Voice of America - November 28th, 2021
- Preview of a farm show and a utility vehicle update - Farm Progress - November 28th, 2021
- 'No progress' ahead of Iran nuclear talks, says United Nations agency - FRANCE 24 - November 28th, 2021
- No Progress On John Wall Buyout Return To Rockets Incoming? - NBA Analysis Network - November 28th, 2021
- Scott Morrison digs in over federal Icac and tries to shift blame to Labor for slow progress - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- 9 charts to be thankful for this Thanksgiving: Progress on poverty, cancer, vaccines, and more - Vox - November 28th, 2021
- Ripple seeing 'good progress' in SEC case over XRP, outcome expected next year - CNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Rams and Odell Beckham Jr. remain 'a work in progress' - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Could Covid Lead to Progress? - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Hoping for shorter response times, city making progress on new North Tampa fire station - ABC Action News - November 23rd, 2021
- Breaking down the Celtics offensive progress - CelticsBlog - November 23rd, 2021
- England FA chief Mark Bullingham: Qatar making 'strong progress' on human rights issues ahead of World Cup - ESPN - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID and kids: Vaccine progress update - NEWS10 ABC - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite progress, McCarthy argues we were better off 10 months ago - MSNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Where Will Patrick Gaspard Take the Center for American Progress? - The New Republic - November 23rd, 2021
- Halo Infinite Multiplayer Review In Progress - I Need A Weapon - GameSpot - November 23rd, 2021
- Breonna Taylor protesters reflect on a year of progress and pain in Louisville - 89.3 WFPL News Louisville - November 23rd, 2021
- EU's Sefcovic sees progress, hope in Northern Ireland Brexit talks - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Cornfield achieves respectable yield in challenging year - Farm Progress - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite the Sabres' progress, the lack of reliable goaltending stands out again - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- CJ Abrams' progress, free-agent starting pitching options and more: Padres mailbag - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- Firefighters stop forward progress on 16-acre fire in Riverside - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 21st, 2021
- Here's a look at Riot's in-progress fighting game, Project L - PC Gamer - November 21st, 2021
- Evan Mobley making progress in recovery from sprained elbow, but Cleveland Cavaliers wont rush return - cleveland.com - November 21st, 2021
- West Side Rag 20th Precinct's Chief Explains Mixed Progress on Thefts, and Concerns About $2 Bail - westsiderag.com - November 21st, 2021
- Ted Nordhaus on how green activists mislead and hold back progress - The Economist - November 21st, 2021
- After years of rebuilding, the Rangers are finally showing progress - Forever Blueshirts - November 21st, 2021
- Following Through on Metas Civil Rights Audit Progress - Investor Relations - November 21st, 2021
- Guardiola delighted by progress of City youngsters after Everton win - Manchester City FC - November 21st, 2021
- Where Denver's progress stands on lead pipe removal - Axios - November 21st, 2021
- Market predictions, harvest progress, and China-Iowa relations topic of 'Trade Talk' webinar - Successful Farming - November 21st, 2021
- Checking in on Fabian Lysells WHL progress - Stanley Cup of Chowder - November 21st, 2021
- The COVID Pandemic Worsens Food Security Progress in MENA - Al-Bawaba - November 21st, 2021
- Houstons backcourt tandem is still a work in progress - The Dream Shake - November 21st, 2021
- Driving home a point: After a set-up correction Cameron Smith is seeing progress off the tee - usatoday.com - November 21st, 2021
- Noah Syndergaard Reportedly "Making Progress" on a Deal with the Angels (UPDATE: It's Happening) - bleachernation.com - November 21st, 2021
- The Road to 2023: Assessing progress and accelerating delivery on the UN Common Pledges in advance of the next Global Refugee Forum - November 2021 -... - November 21st, 2021
- CSPD says progress being made in construction site theft investigations - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - November 21st, 2021
- New reduced costs of dual HIV/syphilis rapid tests to accelerate progress toward elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis -... - November 21st, 2021
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl Review-In-Progress - GameSpot - November 17th, 2021
- Port of L.A. making 'great progress' in clearing cargo backlog, director says - The Week Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- The U.S. Is Still Blocking Climate Progress - The New Republic - November 17th, 2021
- Paradox says it's "happy" with progress of Bloodlines 2 under new developer - Eurogamer.net - November 17th, 2021
- Transit Making Progress On New Park and Ride - ButlerRadio.com - Butler, PA - butlerradio.com - November 17th, 2021
- The progress (and failures) of COP26, in 3 charts - Grist - November 17th, 2021
- Waters 2021 Sustainability Report Highlights Progress on ESG Initiatives and Response to COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- Column: Progress, Columbia State and my grandfather go hand in hand - Columbia Daily Herald - November 17th, 2021
- ACELYRIN Scores $250 Million to Progress Innovative Antibody Mimetic - BioSpace - November 17th, 2021
- Timberwolves see progress, but can't keep Suns from their ninth win in a row - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 17th, 2021
- Roc the Future highlights progress at 10-year mark - Rochester Beacon - November 17th, 2021
- These researchers are trying to stop misinformation from derailing climate progress - NPR - November 17th, 2021
- Worlds fastest street circuit - What is the current progress of the Jeddah Street Circuit, set to... - The Sportsrush - November 17th, 2021
- Blue River, CDOT make progress on proposed chain-up area in town - Summit Daily News - November 17th, 2021
- Kentucky football: Spoiled football fans? Thats the surest sign yet of progress - Saturday Down South - November 17th, 2021
- Sage Therapeutics Alzheimer's drug likely to progress: regulatory roundup - Clinical Trials Arena - November 17th, 2021
- Don't reverse progress in teaching history honestly - Smithfield Times - Smithfield Times - November 17th, 2021
- Heres the irony of racial progress in Britain its now harder to call out racism - The Guardian - November 17th, 2021
- Kyler Murray is making good progress, has a chance to start next week at Seahawks - NBC Sports - November 17th, 2021
- Bears 1st-and-10: What is George McCaskeys definition of progress? - Chicago Sun-Times - November 17th, 2021
- Can Progress on Diversity Be Union-Made? - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021
- Cattle Rally In Progress, Calf Markets Uneven - Drovers Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Development Of Magnetic Locking Idea Shows Great Progress - Hackaday - November 9th, 2021
- Todays Hot Topic: Wendy Williams Says Shes Making Progress Toward Returning to Her Show - Black Enterprise - November 9th, 2021
- College Football Playoff Rankings: How Much Progress Will San Diego State Make in the Top 25? - MWWire - November 9th, 2021