The government will proceed with its roundly criticised model for a federal anti-corruption commission but has signalled the bill will only come to parliament if Labor backs it.
With Australias parliament entering what could be the last sitting week before the election, the government is under pressure to deliver the federal integrity commission it has telegraphed, but not delivered, for three years.
One of its backbenchers crossed the floor last week to bring on parliamentary debate on a stronger proposal, advanced by the independent Helen Haines. Bridget Archer was the only government MP to back the Haines proposal but a number of other Liberals want the government to toughen up its proposal.
Metropolitan Liberals are facing electoral pressure because independents are targeting incumbent moderates in the governments blue-ribbon heartland. Independents backed by the activist Climate 200 organisation, which has raised $4m in less than four months, are campaigning locally for climate action and a strong national integrity commission.
But efforts by the attorney general, Michaelia Cash, to secure internal agreement to beef up the governments proposal have met fierce resistance in cabinet. Scott Morrison told reporters on Sunday the government would stick with its original model because it was well-designed and well-considered.
Cash was more equivocal when asked if the proposal might be overhauled to include public hearings during political investigations, which would be a significant strengthening of the model. At this point in time, the bill is as it stands, she said.
Haines is unlikely to move again this week to try to suspend the standing orders to bring on her own proposal for an integrity commission but she is critical of the Coalition blaming Labor for any delay. She said on Sunday if Morrison truly believed in his suboptimal integrity commission he should bring it forward and give parliament an opportunity to amend it.
After she crossed the floor last week, Archer was hauled into a meeting with Morrison, the treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, and the minister for women, Marise Payne. The Tasmanian Liberal backbencher expressed her displeasure at that treatment. I would have preferred not to have the meeting at that time while I was feeling emotional, she said last week.
But the minister for families and social services, and for womens safety, Anne Ruston, defended the prime minister on Sunday. I think its an entirely reasonable proposition when somebody expresses an opinion different to government policy and then acts on it, that the prime minister would seek to find out what their concerns were in an effort to try to resolve them, Ruston told the ABC.
The minister said Morrison had met last week with the two Liberal senators refusing to pass government legislation until the prime minister moved against vaccination mandates as he would have met, Im sure, with every other Liberal party senator who crossed the floor in the time he has been prime minister.
Morrison last week sought to buffer the government against its obvious lack of action on an integrity commission by criticising the New South Wales anti-corruption commission.
After he faced the internal revolt on his own model, the prime minister accused critics of him and the governments integrity commission of wanting a kangaroo court to oversee the federal parliament. Morrison attacked the NSW Icacs inquiry into the former premier Gladys Berejiklian.
Liberals want Berejiklian to run in the seat of Warringah against the incumbent independent, Zali Steggall. Morrison declared anti-corruption commissions should be looking at criminal conduct, not who your boyfriend is.
On Sunday Morrison tried to shift blame to Labor for the lack of progress. He said the government would like to proceed with its proposal but theres no support for our proposal from Labor, or others.
Our proposal has been consulted on, weve had it out there for a long time, we are interested in a fair dinkum commission that looks at criminal conduct, not at who peoples boyfriends are, the prime minister said.
Sign up to receive an email with the top stories from Guardian Australia every morning
Labor and others want to have a system, frankly, that is open to all sorts of abuse and game playing and politicking and weve seen that from Labor over the course of this term time and time matters referred off to the Australian federal police, wasting their time.
Cash told reporters the Coalitions proposed integrity commission was a fair and balanced model: It will deal with instances of the most serious criminal corruption at a federal level.
That is what this bill is all about. Its not, as the prime minister said, a political witch-hunt, which the Labor party seem to want it to be.
We have a bill, if Labor indicated they would support the bill, our situation would be very very different, but at this point in time, we have a bill, they dont, all they have is a statement of opposition. Thats their situation.
It is routine for the government to bring forward legislation to the House of Representatives, whether it is likely to pass or not. But Ruston told the ABC: The last thing we want to do is bring a bill into this place and then find out it wont get through.
- Marking 5 decades of progress in cancer care - Urology Times - January 5th, 2022
- Ranch group recognizes progress but skeptical of White House action plan - The Fence Post - January 5th, 2022
- Some signs of progress on Hogarth Ave. in Flint - ABC 12 News - January 5th, 2022
- Better Country Beyond: Progress ... and then the big freeze - The West Volusia Beacon - January 5th, 2022
- Bicycle Therapeutics Announces Continued Clinical Progress and Updates to Management Team - Business Wire - January 5th, 2022
- Legislative topic today is education. Bottom line: progress slight over last two decades. - Arkansas Times - January 5th, 2022
- 'PAUL' IT ALL TOGETHER: Resolutions And Empty Spaces - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- By the numbers: Biden reviews supply chain progress with task force - Supply Chain Dive - January 5th, 2022
- Resilient Kingston making progress while facing COVID, other challenges, mayor says in State of the City address - The Daily Freeman - January 5th, 2022
- Cowboy Ingenuity And A Steam Engine - The Progress - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- NC Coastal Federation recaps its progress, looks forward to 2022 - WNCT - January 5th, 2022
- Tolton girls basketball shows signs of progress in first win of the season - Columbia Daily Tribune - January 5th, 2022
- NYC wiped out five years of policing progress in 2021 - New York Post - January 5th, 2022
- City: Daylite Inn making progress on code violations - The Elkhart Truth - January 5th, 2022
- Women Directors Are Actually Losing Ground in Hollywood. Progress In Other Roles Is Glacial - LAist - January 5th, 2022
- The very slow progress on Hazard Center Road - San Diego Reader - January 5th, 2022
- SH Lions Hang On To Beat Bobcats - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Top stories of 2021 in the Jackson Progress-Argus, Part 1 - jacksonprogress-argus - January 5th, 2022
- Big Red Tigers Take Win Over Bulldogs - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- First Snow of 2022 Preceded by Storms and Power Outages - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Battle of Parkers Crossroads Holds 159th Anniversary Event - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Tech trend review offers insight into the future - Farm Progress - January 5th, 2022
- Five Areas of Energy and Climate Progress to Watch for in 2022 - Energy Institute at Haas - January 5th, 2022
- Forward Progress And Texans Stopped - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Don't Let Excellence Get in the Way of Progress - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress Report: Thai Airways Slow But Steady Rehabilitation - Simple Flying - January 3rd, 2022
- Man City Youngster Keen On January Move Abroad to Progress Development - Club's Stance on Potential Sale Revealed - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Brazil Mayor, Brian Wyndham, reflects on progress made in 2021 - WTHITV.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Will the Democratization of Technology Accelerate Progress in AI? - InformationWeek - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress made in Alzheimer's fight this year - Mount Airy News - January 3rd, 2022
- FROM THE HART: OSU's 'biggest win' shows progress and potential - Stillwater News Press - January 3rd, 2022
- The Seahawks offense is still a work-in-progress - Field Gulls - January 3rd, 2022
- Iran says nuclear talks in Vienna are seeing satisfactory progress - The Times of Israel - January 3rd, 2022
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp checks in on the progress of Hub Development - WJBF-TV - January 3rd, 2022
- A Dozen Things That Helped and Hurt Climate Progress in 2021 - State of the Planet - January 3rd, 2022
- Lithium: A year of progress and protests | Mining | elkodaily.com - Elko Daily Free Press - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress edition: Startups not deterred by the pandemic - Post Register - January 3rd, 2022
- Native American tribes have made progress against COVID. Omicron has them 'back in crisis mode.' - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2022
- Dan Campbell is a throwback who is making progress as Lions head coach - SideLion Report - January 3rd, 2022
- Bill Belichick Sheds Light on Mac Jones Progress and Development as a Rookie QB - EssentiallySports - January 3rd, 2022
- Mayor Lightfoot reflects on City of Chicago's progress in 2021 - The - The Chicago Cusader - January 3rd, 2022
- Good News on the Progress of Alex Caruso - bleachernation.com - January 3rd, 2022
- 2021 Year-In-Review: Progress on Education, Health Care, Good Jobs & More - pa.gov - December 29th, 2021
- Where is NASA's James Webb Space Telescope? Here's how to follow its progress. - Space.com - December 29th, 2021
- US sees possible modest progress in Iran nuclear talks - The Times of Israel - December 29th, 2021
- Poland hopes for progress in talks with Czechs over Turow mine - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Department of Family & Preventive Medicine's Colorectal Screening Project Sees Progress in First Year - UAMS News - December 29th, 2021
- Montenegro: New Government, But No Progress on War Crime Probes - Balkan Insight - December 29th, 2021
- No One Asked Me But... (December 29, 2021) - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Malkin and Rust Progress to Full Contact; Six Players Enter Protocol - NHL.com - December 29th, 2021
- Letter: Resolving pandemic is a work in progress - La Grande Observer - December 29th, 2021
- Progress' most-read stories of 2021: New businesses, construction are some of the most read stories - Claremore Daily Progress - December 29th, 2021
- Davis Mills' progress will allow Texans to focus on other needs in draft - Chron - December 29th, 2021
- Oneida County asks for patience amid slow progress with vaccine incentives - WKTV - December 29th, 2021
- IDOT pleased with 2021 progress - Alton Telegraph - December 29th, 2021
- The progress of third-year corner Amani Oruwariye shows just how close the Detroit Lions are to turning things around | NFL News, Rankings and... - December 29th, 2021
- Palmhurst hosts second annual Toy Giveaway Drive-Thru - Progresstimes - December 29th, 2021
- DOT Secretary touts progress and predicts more to come - West Virginia MetroNews - December 29th, 2021
- A LOOK BACK AT 2021: The News In Review - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- New Smart Bins Show Citys Slow Progress On Composting Goals - Gothamist - December 29th, 2021
- Salon Expands Both Space And Staff - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Delivering Christmas Cheer To Hospital Patients - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- U.S. aviation, telecom industries report progress over 5G safety talks - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Bidens Child-Poverty Progress Isnt Real - The Wall Street Journal - December 29th, 2021
- Spurs making progress but Conte still has a 'big job' on his hands - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- 2021 Saw Progress on Mars, Rise in Space Tourists - VOA Learning English - December 29th, 2021
- Winning recipes in The Progress' 2021 Holiday Cookie Contest - Clearfield Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- UN envoy outlines 'possibilities for progress' in Syria next year - UN News - December 22nd, 2021
- Teven Jenkins is a Work in Progress, But You Gotta Love the Physicality - bleachernation.com - December 22nd, 2021
- The Vaccine Rollout Was a Success. But Events Within and Beyond Bidens Control Stymied Progress. - Kaiser Health News - December 22nd, 2021
- Where Rangers' top prospects stand and how much progress they're making - New York Post - December 22nd, 2021
- White House: People won't have to 'wear a mask all the time' if 'we make progress' fighting COVID - Fox News - December 22nd, 2021
- Carbon colonialism must be challenged if we want to make climate progress - The Conversation UK - December 22nd, 2021
- DA's Office Issues Progress Report for '21 | News | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - December 22nd, 2021
- The lockout slogs on with very little progress so far - Camden Chat - December 22nd, 2021
- Oakland Police Making Progress' in Investigation Into Shooting Death of Kevin Nishita - NBC Bay Area - December 22nd, 2021
- Australia wrote to Naval Group noting progress on submarines a week before contract was cancelled - The Guardian Australia - December 22nd, 2021
- Leaving The McDuffie Progress after a very enjoyable 10 years - McDuffie Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- 25 Years of YES!: Hope, Progress, and Setbacks - YES! Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- NY Jets: 3 ways they can show progress against the Dolphins in Week 15 - NorthJersey.com - December 22nd, 2021