While it was nowhere near a perfect performance on Saturday in the Carrier Dome, Rutgers defeated Syracuse 17-7 to start the season with a 2-0 record for the first time since 2014. Since last season when head coach Greg Schiano returned to lead the program once again, the Scarlet Knights are 4-1 on the road. Both of those facts are head turning with the perspective of how far this program had fallen. Just two games into Schianos second season of his second tenure and RU is in a far different situation as a program.
Dont confuse major progress with being good. Rutgers is making significant improvement, but because the state of things was so poor, they arent a good team..yet.
Saturdays victory was a perfect example of why Rutgers is 5-6 in FBS games since last season after going just 10-47 the previous five years.
The Scarlet Knights have learned how to overcome shortcomings with talent and depth by playing a tough brand of football and sticking together as a team. They make plenty of mistakes, as they did against Syracuse, but against opponents who are about equal or slightly better, Rutgers has come out on top more times than not since Schianos return.
We knew this was going to be a grimy, tough, gritty game. Thats what it was going to be, said Schiano.
At least in recent memory, when Rutgers had an opportunity to make an opponent pay for a mistake and failed to do so, it almost always resulted in a loss. Not anymore. Despite not capitalizing on a blocked punt, botching a field goal attempt, failing to convert several short yardage situations or even missing a 29 yard attempt, the Scarlet Knights never wilted.
I thought we handled it well. We hit adversity several times, said Schiano. There are two kinds of adversity. Everything is rolling downhill on you or you do something well and dont capitalize on it. We had some field position today that you should capitalize on and we didnt. Rather than sit there and lament we didnt do that, we blocked a punt and didnt score, we just came out and played. Thats what chopping is. A sixty minute chop.
Rutgers never stopped playing hard on Saturday and responded well when Syracuse tied the score at 7-7 midway through the third quarter. Instead of falling under the weight of the moment late in that game, RU finished the game strong and closed out the game on the road against a former Big East rival.
The Scarlet Knights averaged 1.2 yards rushing in this game and only amassed 195 total yards of offense. However, the defense played really well and gave the offense the chance to win the game by executing a few key moments in the second half, which they were able to do.
Kyle Monangai had an 11 yard touchdown run and Noah Vedral found Jovani Haskins for a 30 yard touchdown. Mayan Ahanatou had a sack and caused a forced fumble in the fourth quarter that set up the game clinching field goal by Valentino Ambrosio.
They have really talented front people. They are big, strong, long, Schiano said. They have a scheme that is very hard to prepare for unless you are an elite group. We arent there yet offensively. I thought defensively we played really well. Those guys kept answering the bell. I did not think our special teams was particularly good. We can play much better than that on special teams. We made mistakes. We did not capitalize on some of the things that I felt we could on special teams. Obviously on offense we have work to do. Defense played well but you are only good as your last performance. We need to get better as a team but as I said last week, its nice to do it from the W column.
A key to this teams success and improvement so far this season has been their ability to protect the football while forcing opponents into making mistakes. .
We take care of the football, said Schiano. When you dont turn it over, it gives you a chance to win. We didnt turn it over, we took it away three times and we blocked a punt. Thats the game.
Through two games, Rutgers has a +8 turnover margin with zero turnovers and have committed just five penalties overall. Mistake free football can give below average or average teams a chance at winning games they shouldnt be able to. Or in Saturdays case, making sure they win games they should.
Of course, it all comes down to coaching. One team had their head coach flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct that resulted in the opponent scoring on the next play while the other team had their head coach getting the most out of his players. The progress made so far in Schianos return has been impressive. Aside from the wins, this program has a clear identity now. That being said, staying the course is vital to finishing the season having made significant improvement. If Rutgers can get by Delaware next Saturday, theyll finish non-conference play at 3-0 and a chance to fight for a bowl. For fans that have watched this program closely over the last few years, getting to October with postseason aspirations still intact would be progress in its own right.
See original here:
- Former U.S. President Clinton making progress but will remain in hospital - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- China's Xi calls for progress on property tax in drive for prosperity - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- 'Progress does not happen overnight': Sanofi on evolution of medicine - OutSourcing-Pharma.com - October 17th, 2021
- Zion Williamson progress from foot injury to be evaluated in 2-2.5 weeks - Pelicans.com - October 17th, 2021
- People's Organization for Progress Stops in Rahway on its Way to Trenton - TAPinto.net - October 17th, 2021
- Despite progress, Indiana's still one of the nation's top CO2-emitting states - The Herald Bulletin - October 17th, 2021
- Lakers encouraged by preseason progress, despite not winning a game - Silver Screen and Roll - October 17th, 2021
- Global progress in tackling tuberculosis has been reversed by the COVID-19 pandemic - News-Medical.Net - October 17th, 2021
- Duffy: Mum's positive influence on me and PROGRESS PORTSMOUTH - Seacoastonline.com - October 17th, 2021
- "Mick confirms those qualities" Ferrari is delighted with Mick Schumacher's progress in his first season in... - The Sportsrush - October 17th, 2021
- Trump-backed candidate would turn back the clock on progress in Virginia | TheHill - The Hill - October 17th, 2021
- Editorial: Kids aren't making progress on national tests and that's from before the pandemic - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- First Anniversary for Nonprofit Media Platform The Progress Network - PRNewswire - October 17th, 2021
- Ethereum's Latest Progress Toward Proof-of-Stake - CoinDesk - October 17th, 2021
- Bloomfield sees progress on its water utilities - pennlive.com - October 17th, 2021
- Mayor Guscioras Fourth State of the City Highlights Progress; Calls for Unity - TrentonDaily News - October 17th, 2021
- Work in Progress - iRunFar - October 17th, 2021
- Anthony McFarland 'Very Excited' By O-Line's Progress As He Nears Return - Steelers Depot - October 17th, 2021
- The evolution of racism in Farmville: the progress made since the end of segregation - The Rotunda - October 17th, 2021
- Building nation's awareness, one of most important factors for its stability, progress: Al-Sisi - Daily News Egypt - October 17th, 2021
- Including Immigration Parole in Reconciliation Will Help Millions - Center For American Progress - October 17th, 2021
- TMD, DPS Provide Update on Progress of OLS at Weekly Briefing | Department of Public Safety - the Texas Department of Public Safety - October 17th, 2021
- Braden Smith's injury progress 'not going as fast as we want' - Colts Wire - October 17th, 2021
- Biden to cite progress unsnarling supply chain in meeting with labor, industry - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2021
- The September jobs number was a big miss, but Biden sees 'great progress' in rising wages, lower unemployment rate - CNBC - October 9th, 2021
- LeBron James and Russell Westbrook admit chemistry is a work in progress after preseason debut - Sporting News - October 9th, 2021
- North Korea's Progress on Poultry Farms - 38 North - October 9th, 2021
- Slow progress on budget package with deadline weeks away - Roll Call - October 9th, 2021
- Could the Pandemic Ruin Progress Toward Equality in Law? - Legal Examiner - October 9th, 2021
- Queer Progress Fueled by the Best Ads Ever - Georgia Voice - October 9th, 2021
- Digging in on the China trade situation - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Salem makes progress on homeless issues, but more to be done - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Strive for progress, not perfection | Opinion | hpj.com - High Plains Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Progress is being made, supervisors say at State of the County | Regional Business Summit - Fontana Herald-News - October 9th, 2021
- Far Cry 6 review-in-progress: A silly game trying to be smart - VentureBeat - October 9th, 2021
- Alton Food Truck Park Construction Makes Great Progress - RiverBender.com - October 9th, 2021
- GUEST COLUMN: Progress and setbacks in Latinx education - Red and Black - October 9th, 2021
- New World review in progress: a fresh, swashbuckling MMO that's still very grindy early on - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 9th, 2021
- Breast Cancer: Updates & Progress in A Pandemic - WABC-TV - October 9th, 2021
- Diplomacy is sometimes a barrier to progress in universities - Times Higher Education (THE) - October 9th, 2021
- Vilsack working with FDA on animal biotechnology - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Affirmative Action Is About Spectacle, Not Progress - City Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Virtual Conference Highlights Real, Exciting Progress Pancreatic Cancer Action Network - Pancreatic Cancer News & Stories - October 7th, 2021
- European stocks gain on U.S. debt limit progress and Asian tech recovery - MarketWatch - October 7th, 2021
- The Lakers know theyre a work in progress - Silver Screen and Roll - October 7th, 2021
- Editorial: Making progress on vacation rentals - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - October 7th, 2021
- Giants' Joe Judge 'encouraged' with progress of injured players - Giants Wire - October 7th, 2021
- Embark Releases Webcast From Embark Day Showcasing Business and Technology Progress to Accelerate Rollout of Autonomous Trucking - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- TEPA directors updated on Covid-19, broadband progress | News | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Boys soccer: Lourdes picked up the pace in its progress by slowing down - Poughkeepsie Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Orlando Brown says hes unaware of any contract extension progress with Chiefs - Arrowhead Addict - October 7th, 2021
- Construction Round-Up: Projects around the region make progress - WTMJ - October 7th, 2021
- Oakland As may have some progress on Howard Terminal front - White Cleat Beat - October 7th, 2021
- Work In Progress Is Living Up to Its Title - Vulture - October 7th, 2021
- Immunicom Hires Former FDA Clinician and Medical Device Reviewer to Rapidly Progress Launch of Novel Cancer Immunotherapy - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- AbbVie Higher on Rinvoq Trial Progress to Treat Spinal Arthritis - TheStreet - October 7th, 2021
- Nevada Copper Provides Update on Accelerating Stope Production and Ramp-Up Progress and Announces Appointment of Chief Executive Officer - Yahoo... - October 7th, 2021
- Mac Jones Sees Progress With Patriots Offense, But Says There Are No Moral Victories - CBS Boston - October 7th, 2021
- Tomlin Calls Bush-Schobert Combo 'A Work In Progress That I Think Is Going Rather Well' - Steelers Depot - October 7th, 2021
- Breast Cancer 2021: Much Progress, But Work Remains - WebMD - October 3rd, 2021
- USU rescues orphaned bear cub, watch her progress via live streaming - ABC 4 - October 3rd, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Offensive Line is a Work in Progress - Sports Illustrated - October 3rd, 2021
- Department of Homeland Security: Progress Made Strengthening Management Functions, but Work Remains - Government Accountability Office - October 3rd, 2021
- Egypt signals progress in normalization of ties with Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - October 3rd, 2021
- It's hard to find love when you're a work in progress - The Boston Globe - October 3rd, 2021
- Trending Hornets: Cody Martin was good enough but he didnt progress in Year 2 - At The Hive - October 3rd, 2021
- Mid-semester progress report window to open in Starfish on Oct. 4 | Penn State University - Penn State News - October 3rd, 2021
- In Rationality, Steven Pinker Sticks Up (Again) for Reasons Role in Human Progress - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2021
- Take a look at the Gene Leahy Mall and progress on the Riverfront Revitalization project - KETV Omaha - October 3rd, 2021
- NC Progress launches new website to find the truth about underfunded schools | The Pulse - The Progressive Pulse - October 3rd, 2021
- Oregons Black leaders are unsatisfied with incremental progress the state has seen a year after calling for monumental change - OPB News - October 3rd, 2021
- New World review in progress a flawed, but promising MMO - PCGamesN - October 3rd, 2021
- Connor Colby A Work in Progress - CalBearsMaven - October 3rd, 2021
- Ron Rivera says struggling Washington Football Team is a 'work in progress' - NBC Sports - October 3rd, 2021
- Addressing Fragmentation, Overlap, and Duplication: Progress in Enhancing Government Effectiveness and Achieving Hundreds of Billions of Dollars in... - October 3rd, 2021
- Title IX and women's sports at K-State: 50 years of progress - Manhattan Mercury - October 3rd, 2021
- Sign of progress, Biden digs in to strike deal on $3.5T plan - WGN TV Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Progress Made in Clearing Backlogs in FOID Card Applications, Renewals, ISP Says - NBC Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Arsenal progress halted after goalless draw at Brighton; pressure builds on Steve Bruce - The National - October 3rd, 2021
- Preventing falls is important for all ages | Pontotoc Progress | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 3rd, 2021