Last season, all eyes were on Riley Herbst as he replaced Chase Briscoe in Stewart-Haas Racings No. 98 Xfinity Series car. The year before, Briscoe won a series-high nine races in that ride.
Out of necessity, Herbsts expectations skyrocketed, despite entering just his second year at the Xfinity level. And theres no sugarcoating it, 2021 was a struggle.
[Everyone] had a bar set for me, obviously, and I knew I wasnt going to hit that bar because Im not Chase Briscoe, Herbst recently told NASCAR.com. Hes in the Cup Series right now and Im in the Xfinity Series.
RELATED: Xfinity Series standings | 2022 schedule
Throughout Herbsts tenure at Stewart-Haas, he hasnt gotten caught up in the comparisons to previous Xfinity drivers in the teams young history. But it took the No. 98 team until the fifth race of 2021 to get its first top-10 finish of the season, with three of the first four races being results of 26th or worse with three DNFs.
The silver lining for the duration of the 2021 season was that Herbst showed flashes of speed. It was something to build on for 2022, his third full-time season in the Xfinity Series.
Sometimes, it beats you down, Herbst said of not getting consistent finishes. But then, you have to step back and think we were at X track and had good speed, we just didnt finish. I either made a mistake or wrecked. Its hard to go off the finishing order because that doesnt show the whole story most of the time.
Momentum is everything. It was tough last year, and we knew that if we did what we were supposed to do, we would finish OK.
Consistency is key, and something Herbst honed in on over the offseason. He entered the 2022 season with a new mentality of solidifying the No. 98 Ford as a weekly top-10 competitor. From there, its slowly been about getting into the top five. It also marked the first time in his racing career that hed have the same crew chief, full time, for the duration of a season in Richard Boswell II.
That familiarity and chemistry with Boswell is an understated part of Herbsts turnaround through the opening 11 races of the 2022 season.
The biggest thing is weve taken the day for what the car is going to give us and what the team is going to give us, Boswell said. If thats a solid seventh place, then its a solid seventh place and weve got a race car thats in one piece and something to work on.
Finishing races was a point of emphasis that Kevin Harvick and his Kevin Harvick Inc. management company helped instill in Herbst, who joined KHI as a client ahead of the 2022 season.
So far, so good.
The main thing with him is just making sure that we finish the races and get the things out of the day that theyre given you, Harvick added. Hes done a good job and [the team has] done exactly that. You have to finish ninth to finish fifth, you have to finish fifth to finish fourth and so on and so forth.
How good has it been? Through 11 races, Herbst already has four top-five finishes, one shy of his 2021 total. With eight top-10 finishes, hes tied with Noah Gragson for the second-most top-10 finishes thus far, only behind AJ Allmendinger who has yet to finish outside the top 10.
Not bad for Herbst, whos in his first Xfinity season with practice and qualifying for each race.
I dont really know what that is, maybe experience, Herbst said. Were way more consistent and being able to finish has been huge for us as a team and allows us to keep moving forward and progressing and ultimately move towards those goals of winning races.
Boswell, a perfectionist, knows the No. 98 team is much improved from 2021. But with just 34 stage points on the season, he says the team can still boost its performance.
Still a ways to go, he said. All of our goals are the same in wanting to win races; we want that for Riley and the guys on our team. But by all means, a big improvement thats attributed to finishing races.
MORE: NASCAR on TV this week
Boswell credits Herbsts improvement to having matured a significant amount over the past year and a half. In communicating with his team, Herbst understands what he needs out of his car more and understands when the No. 98 team is discussing different setups to run.
But dont think Herbst didnt try hard even when the success wasnt on paper.
Hes always worked hard and put his heart and soul into it, Boswell said. I think a lot of times he catches a bad rap because, quite frankly, his family has been successful. It drives me nuts because if people understood how hard he works and how badly he wants to run well then maybe theyd lay off him a little bit.
After a season-best third-place finish at Darlington last weekend, Herbst sits eighth in the championship standings (ninth in the playoff standings), 54 points above the cutline.
While 54 points is a solid margin in a stacked Xfinity field this season, Herbst plans to keep a steady approach as the year progresses, despite having two Kaulig Racing cars, including reigning series champ Daniel Hemric, and a Richard Childress Racing entry behind him in points. Should he get a win before Bristol Motor Speedway in September, hell be all but locked into the postseason.
Were worried about ourselves and progressing as a team, getting closer to our goals of winning races, he said. I think each week were taking a step forward.
It doesnt surprise me. I knew I could have done this last year if we could have achieved what we were supposed to achieve and do the things we were supposed to achieve. But we havent won, so Im not near satisfied. Its cool to finish well each week, and I think we need to keep doing that and not lose sight of the goal and have to keep laying the foundation. But I really want to win a race, and I have to win a race. This is my third full-time year and youve got to start winning some time.
- Travis Etiennes recovery and progress is encouraging - Big Cat Country - June 11th, 2022
- Motocross accelerates through 50 years of progress - The Columbian - June 11th, 2022
- Sweden seeks constructive progress with Turkey over NATO bid - Reuters - June 11th, 2022
- What progress has New Mexico made on education reform? - KOB 4 - June 11th, 2022
- Andy Reid gives progress report on Chiefs second-year WR Josh Gordon - Chiefs Wire - June 11th, 2022
- McKee administration says there has been progress in Tidewater Landing talks - The Boston Globe - June 11th, 2022
- Ministers from around the world agree to speed up energy efficiency progress to help tackle global energy crisis - News - IEA - June 11th, 2022
- Revamped Falcons' offense is a work in progress - The Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 11th, 2022
- Statement - Government of Canada and airport and airline partners making progress on reducing traveller wait times at Canada's major airports - Yahoo... - June 11th, 2022
- From the ruins, festive progress - The Suffolk News-Herald - Suffolk News-Herald - June 11th, 2022
- Entain Encouraged By Progress With A.I. Platform On Responsible Gaming As CEO Celebrates 500th Day At Helm - Forbes - June 11th, 2022
- Forward progress reportedly stopped on vegetation fire near Hopland - Ukiah Daily Journal - June 11th, 2022
- Gauging the Progress in Building New Bears Offense - Yardbarker - June 11th, 2022
- 'On the cusp of greatness': Rowan EDC recaps progress, looks toward future at annual meeting - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - June 11th, 2022
- Mondaire Jones says LGBTQ progress at risk of being rolled back - The Hill - June 11th, 2022
- COMEA making progress on low barrier shelter | Local News | wyomingnews.com - Wyoming Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- Will Warzone Progress Carry Over To Warzone 2? - Looper - June 11th, 2022
- Significant Progress Being Made in Evidence Collection of ISIL/Da'esh's Crimes in Iraq, Investigating Team Head Tells Security Council | Meetings... - June 11th, 2022
- Pandemic Learning: Less Academic Progress Overall, Student and Teacher Strain, and Implications for the Future - Government Accountability Office - June 9th, 2022
- Minneapolis violence interrupters report on 1st year of progress - KSTP - June 9th, 2022
- Nestl driving progress on dairy emissions: 'We believe in the goodness of milk' - FoodNavigator-USA.com - June 9th, 2022
- ASCO 2022: Gilead's tough weekend, bispecific progress and 'gamma delta' cell therapy - BioPharma Dive - June 9th, 2022
- For the first time in the city's history, Green Bay raises the Progress flag for Pride Month - Green Bay Press Gazette - June 9th, 2022
- Bill Belichick pleased with progress of 2021 draft class with Tre Nixon shining at minicamp - Patriots Wire - June 9th, 2022
- Meeting of Ministers from around the world can turbocharge energy efficiency progress to combat energy crisis and meet climate goals - News - IEA - June 9th, 2022
- 'Mixed' progress on food safety in Australia in past year - Food Safety News - June 9th, 2022
- Progress Through Partnerships: The Bumble Bee Seafood Company Releases its 2022 Seafood Future Report - Business Wire - June 9th, 2022
- Zoetis Releases 2021 Sustainability Update to Share Progress in Championing Healthier Communities, Animals and the Planet - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2022
- Quinton Byfields progress, and the L.A. Kings 2022-23 defense: Mailbag, part 2 - The Athletic - June 9th, 2022
- Legacy Drive traffic switches, Panther Creek Parkway progress and more Frisco transportation updates - Community Impact Newspaper - June 9th, 2022
- Yamaha Rightwaters Reports Annual Initiative Progress - Business Wire - June 9th, 2022
- What Sheryl Sandbergs Exit Reveals About Womens Progress in Tech - The New York Times - June 9th, 2022
- Peacock's Queer As Folk Reboot Isn't For Everyone, and That's Progress - PRIMETIMER - June 9th, 2022
- Management of troubled Serenity Towers returns to court with progress report - FOX13 Memphis - June 9th, 2022
- HP Inc. Reports Progress Toward Its 2030 Sustainable Impact Goals, Including Achieving a Significant Reduction in Single-Use Plastic Packaging - Yahoo... - June 9th, 2022
- Severe Asthma Market to Progress Upto USD 7 Billion by 2032 | DelveInsight - PR Newswire - June 9th, 2022
- CANADA CONFIRMS DAVIE'S PROGRESS TO BECOME THE THIRD NATIONAL SHIPBUILDING STRATEGY PARTNER - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 9th, 2022
- Secretary Raimondo Raises Progress Pride Flag and Reaffirms Commerce's Commitment to Building a More Inclusive Society for All Americans - US... - June 9th, 2022
- Wife says Fettermans doctors really impressed with his progress - The Hill - June 9th, 2022
- Harvard police chief recalls his first year of pandemic, progress - Harvard Gazette - May 20th, 2022
- Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Managers Report Progress, Brace for Return of Winds - Santa Fe Reporter - May 20th, 2022
- Community progress in Maryvale based on coming together, hearing people, says former ASU program head - ASU News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Opinion | American Progress Is No Longer a Sure Thing - The New York Times - May 20th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - Greeley Tribune - May 20th, 2022
- Apple shows AR/VR headset to its board in sign of progress on project - AdAge.com - May 20th, 2022
- MoDOT gives behind the scenes of progress on Rocheport bridge - ABC17News.com - May 20th, 2022
- Firefighters make progress on control lines ahead of the Bear Trap Fire - nmfireinfo.com - May 20th, 2022
- Community development plan: Fort Hood Family Housing building a bridge to progress - United States Army - May 20th, 2022
- Hard Work and Progress Pave Hawks' Road to State - KCII Radio - May 20th, 2022
- Bernd Rodler: Real Innovation And Progress Happen Beyond Big Tech (Part II) Interview - Eurasia Review - May 20th, 2022
- Bristol Myers Squibb Data at ASCO and EHA 2022 Highlight Progress in Transforming Treatment for Patients with Cancer and Blood Disorders - Business... - May 20th, 2022
- Work in Progress: May 19, 2022 The Sopris Sun - soprissun.com - May 20th, 2022
- Viola Davis Reveals a Director Called Her by His Maids Name, Speaks Out on Hollywoods Slow Race Progress (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - May 20th, 2022
- USDOT: Nation seeing signs of progress in supply chain as historic level of goods flow in - TheTrucker.com - The Trucker - May 20th, 2022
- Top CTV Buyers 'frustrated' By Slow Progress Of Ad Measurement Projects - The Drum - May 20th, 2022
- Fire crews stop forward progress of Evita Fire, evacuation warning downgraded - Action News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Third Round Bound Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk: Twitter deal cannot progress without proof on bot numbers - The Guardian - May 17th, 2022
- Accelerate sustainability progress and business growth with Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability starting June 1 - The Official Microsoft Blog -... - May 17th, 2022
- Report finds little progress reducing violence against Native American women - MPR News - May 17th, 2022
- During Infrastructure Week, Mayor Bowser Highlights Progress in Expanding Access to Solar Projects Through DC Green Bank | mayormb - Executive Office... - May 17th, 2022
- Review highlights progress of the Greenfield school year - The Highland County Press - May 17th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - BuffZone - May 17th, 2022
- How Should Cybersecurity Leaders Report on Their Progress? - BizTech Magazine - May 17th, 2022
- With Inflation, California Worries About Progress On Poverty - LAist - May 17th, 2022
- Palmhurst to hold special mayoral election Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 17th, 2022
- As It Were: Mounds didn't stand in way of Columbus' progress - The Columbus Dispatch - May 17th, 2022
- Major progress made, alternatives offered to help ease baby formula shortage - KITV Honolulu - May 17th, 2022
- Progress Releases MOVEit 2022 with Advanced Capabilities to Secure and Simplify File Transfer Across Systems | Progress Software Corporation -... - May 17th, 2022
- Calling for rapid progress on the formation of a stable government in Iraq: UK Statement at the UN Security Council - GOV.UK - May 17th, 2022
- Mayor declares it Affordable Housing Week to celebrate progress made and stress need for additional investment - LouisvilleKy.gov - May 17th, 2022
- Employee trust4 ways to maintain progress made during the pandemic - AdAge.com - May 17th, 2022
- UN advisor on Libya pleased with encouraging progress in talks between HoR and HSC - Egypt Today - May 17th, 2022
- The lunar eclipse in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- Assault victim taken to the hospital with CPR in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- More progress in fight to contain northern Michigan wildfire - Detroit News - May 17th, 2022
- UPDATE: Crews make progress on High Park Fire over the weekend - FOX21News.com - May 17th, 2022
- Firefighters stop forward progress of wind-driven fire near Porter Ranch - KTLA Los Angeles - May 15th, 2022
- The Messy Progress on Data Privacy - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Work in Progress: Alma baseball off to 8-8 start - The Morning Sun - May 15th, 2022