Thousands marched across Portland and gathered at the fenced off Justice Center for a sixth night of protests over the killing of George Floyd, a Black man from Minneapolis who was killed after an officer pushed his knee into his neck for nearly nine minutes on June 3, 2020. The night came to an undramatic end with a much smaller group of protesters staying past midnight chanting outside the Justice Center.
Jonathan Levinson / OPB
A coalition of Black community leaders known as Reimagine Oregon say theyre unsatisfied with the incremental progress elected officials have made in responding to a list of demands the group issued a year ago.
The group held a press conference Tuesday to update Oregon media as well as several lawmakers who joined the virtual meeting on where things stand since they challenged Oregon leaders to do better by the states Black community in a series of requests.
Those requests include major changes to policies on a number of topics including housing reform, policing and community safety, education, public health, transportation, economic development and the states legislative process.
In total, the group listed more than 40 specific actions they hoped to see taken by the Oregon Legislature, Metro regional government, the three metro-area counties and the city of Portland.
Reimagine Oregon was established last summer in response to mounting social discourse on equity and racial justice following the murder of George Floyd and the disparities in opportunity and services in America further exposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The group is comprised of community organizers and leaders such as Nkenge Harmon Johnson, president and CEO of the Urban League of Portland; Katrina Holland, executive director of housing advocacy group JOIN PDX; Lamar Wise, political coordinator of public employees union AFSCME Local 75 and ACLU of Oregon board member; Kali Thorne Ladd, executive director of KairosPDX; Marcus Mundy; executive director of Portland-based Coalition of Communities of Color; Elona J. Wilson, executive director of Next Up, a nonprofit incubator of leaders of color; and Justice Rajee, executive director of Reimagine Oregon.
Thats just to name a few who spoke at Tuesdays press conference and provided grades on how Oregons elected officials have responded to the key issues over the last year.
And those grades werent particularly favorable.
Holland kicked things off, giving the state an incomplete, grade forthcoming for what she described as incremental progress and promises for the future on key housing requests. Those include things such as rent cancelation for people affected by the pandemic, removing barriers to housing assistance and more stringent tests to assure fair housing standards are met.
In our second year of this project we got a lot of work to do to get to that hopeful A, Holland said. Its time for catalytic change.
Holland did acknowledge that theres been some good progress in terms of helping Oregonians who have struggled through the pandemic to pay their rent with the passage of House Bill 2100.
But according to Holland, theres still room for vast improvement in the process with which the state uses to push out rent assistance dollars.
Wise took a moment to provide grades for local jurisdictions on their response to policy demands in the realm of police accountability, which were somewhat more flattering.
According to Wise, Reimagine Oregon has been working with Metro, the Portland areas regionally elected government, and the Washington, Multnomah and Clackamas county governments to look at ways to reform how the region approaches public safety.
Both Washington and Multnomah County received a B grade for work theyve engaged in and investments made in that area.
Clackamas County on the other hand was given an F following what the group characterizes as a complete drop-off in communication between Reimagine leaders and the county following County Chair Tootie Smith taking office.
We would love to continue some type of partnership (with Clackamas County), but there hasnt been much communication, Wise said.
The city of Portland was given a C grade as Reimagine awaits results of the citys fall budget monitoring process. Wise said that despite a high turnover rate within the city government that hasnt allowed much progress, there are some staff within city hall who remain committed to working with the organization on pushing for further accountability within the Portland Police Bureau and an overhaul of policies and practices.
The state of Oregon also received a C grade, a mark that had some lawmakers on the virtual call a bit taken aback considering the states major push in this years legislative session to pass a flurry of police reform bills aimed at many of the specific values shared by Reimagine.
Wise pointed to the bodys failure to pass House Bill 2002 in its entirety as the reason for the C grade. Some provisions of the bill were carved out into other proposals, but the bulk of that bill which wasnt acted upon this year wouldve reformed the states mandatory sentencing laws something lawmakers have had their eye on for years.
Rep. Janelle Bynum, D-Happy Valley, who was on Tuesdays call, and Sen. Floyd Prozanski, D-Eugene, committed to leading that charge in the 2022 short session with support from the legislatures Black, Indigenous and People of Color caucus.
A few other notable grades included Mundy doling out a D to efforts within the legislature to require all bills to include racial impact statements, as well as requiring the same for state agencies during rulemaking processes. Mundy commended lawmakers for bringing those bills forth this legislative session, but noted that they remained stuck in committee when the legislature adjourned in June.
Wilson graded efforts by both Metro and Multnomah County to implement a requirement that community advisory boards be consulted in rulemaking processes as tentative A dependent on how those requirements are or arent centered around voices of their respective Black communities.
Rajee said that Reimagine Oregon remains focused on holding the state and local governments accountable to the voices of Black Oregonians who have called for widespread reform and more opportunity in the state.
According to Rajee, the group will continue to work with its partners in organizations throughout the state to put pressure on elected leaders to take action in responding to their requests for change.
We have seen movement, but we have yet to see movement from our elected leaders, Rajee said. The movement is in the streets. Its in our lives. But in the halls of power, were still largely resisted, and were here to make sure the spotlight doesnt fade on that fact.
- Ripple seeing 'good progress' in SEC case over XRP, outcome expected next year - CNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Rams and Odell Beckham Jr. remain 'a work in progress' - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Could Covid Lead to Progress? - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Hoping for shorter response times, city making progress on new North Tampa fire station - ABC Action News - November 23rd, 2021
- Breaking down the Celtics offensive progress - CelticsBlog - November 23rd, 2021
- England FA chief Mark Bullingham: Qatar making 'strong progress' on human rights issues ahead of World Cup - ESPN - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID and kids: Vaccine progress update - NEWS10 ABC - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite progress, McCarthy argues we were better off 10 months ago - MSNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Where Will Patrick Gaspard Take the Center for American Progress? - The New Republic - November 23rd, 2021
- Halo Infinite Multiplayer Review In Progress - I Need A Weapon - GameSpot - November 23rd, 2021
- Breonna Taylor protesters reflect on a year of progress and pain in Louisville - 89.3 WFPL News Louisville - November 23rd, 2021
- EU's Sefcovic sees progress, hope in Northern Ireland Brexit talks - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Cornfield achieves respectable yield in challenging year - Farm Progress - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite the Sabres' progress, the lack of reliable goaltending stands out again - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- CJ Abrams' progress, free-agent starting pitching options and more: Padres mailbag - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- Firefighters stop forward progress on 16-acre fire in Riverside - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 21st, 2021
- Here's a look at Riot's in-progress fighting game, Project L - PC Gamer - November 21st, 2021
- Evan Mobley making progress in recovery from sprained elbow, but Cleveland Cavaliers wont rush return - cleveland.com - November 21st, 2021
- West Side Rag 20th Precinct's Chief Explains Mixed Progress on Thefts, and Concerns About $2 Bail - westsiderag.com - November 21st, 2021
- Ted Nordhaus on how green activists mislead and hold back progress - The Economist - November 21st, 2021
- After years of rebuilding, the Rangers are finally showing progress - Forever Blueshirts - November 21st, 2021
- Following Through on Metas Civil Rights Audit Progress - Investor Relations - November 21st, 2021
- Guardiola delighted by progress of City youngsters after Everton win - Manchester City FC - November 21st, 2021
- Where Denver's progress stands on lead pipe removal - Axios - November 21st, 2021
- Market predictions, harvest progress, and China-Iowa relations topic of 'Trade Talk' webinar - Successful Farming - November 21st, 2021
- Checking in on Fabian Lysells WHL progress - Stanley Cup of Chowder - November 21st, 2021
- The COVID Pandemic Worsens Food Security Progress in MENA - Al-Bawaba - November 21st, 2021
- Houstons backcourt tandem is still a work in progress - The Dream Shake - November 21st, 2021
- Driving home a point: After a set-up correction Cameron Smith is seeing progress off the tee - usatoday.com - November 21st, 2021
- Noah Syndergaard Reportedly "Making Progress" on a Deal with the Angels (UPDATE: It's Happening) - bleachernation.com - November 21st, 2021
- The Road to 2023: Assessing progress and accelerating delivery on the UN Common Pledges in advance of the next Global Refugee Forum - November 2021 -... - November 21st, 2021
- CSPD says progress being made in construction site theft investigations - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - November 21st, 2021
- New reduced costs of dual HIV/syphilis rapid tests to accelerate progress toward elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis -... - November 21st, 2021
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl Review-In-Progress - GameSpot - November 17th, 2021
- Port of L.A. making 'great progress' in clearing cargo backlog, director says - The Week Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- The U.S. Is Still Blocking Climate Progress - The New Republic - November 17th, 2021
- Paradox says it's "happy" with progress of Bloodlines 2 under new developer - Eurogamer.net - November 17th, 2021
- Transit Making Progress On New Park and Ride - ButlerRadio.com - Butler, PA - butlerradio.com - November 17th, 2021
- The progress (and failures) of COP26, in 3 charts - Grist - November 17th, 2021
- Waters 2021 Sustainability Report Highlights Progress on ESG Initiatives and Response to COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- Column: Progress, Columbia State and my grandfather go hand in hand - Columbia Daily Herald - November 17th, 2021
- ACELYRIN Scores $250 Million to Progress Innovative Antibody Mimetic - BioSpace - November 17th, 2021
- Timberwolves see progress, but can't keep Suns from their ninth win in a row - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 17th, 2021
- Roc the Future highlights progress at 10-year mark - Rochester Beacon - November 17th, 2021
- These researchers are trying to stop misinformation from derailing climate progress - NPR - November 17th, 2021
- Worlds fastest street circuit - What is the current progress of the Jeddah Street Circuit, set to... - The Sportsrush - November 17th, 2021
- Blue River, CDOT make progress on proposed chain-up area in town - Summit Daily News - November 17th, 2021
- Kentucky football: Spoiled football fans? Thats the surest sign yet of progress - Saturday Down South - November 17th, 2021
- Sage Therapeutics Alzheimer's drug likely to progress: regulatory roundup - Clinical Trials Arena - November 17th, 2021
- Don't reverse progress in teaching history honestly - Smithfield Times - Smithfield Times - November 17th, 2021
- Heres the irony of racial progress in Britain its now harder to call out racism - The Guardian - November 17th, 2021
- Kyler Murray is making good progress, has a chance to start next week at Seahawks - NBC Sports - November 17th, 2021
- Bears 1st-and-10: What is George McCaskeys definition of progress? - Chicago Sun-Times - November 17th, 2021
- Can Progress on Diversity Be Union-Made? - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021
- Cattle Rally In Progress, Calf Markets Uneven - Drovers Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Development Of Magnetic Locking Idea Shows Great Progress - Hackaday - November 9th, 2021
- Todays Hot Topic: Wendy Williams Says Shes Making Progress Toward Returning to Her Show - Black Enterprise - November 9th, 2021
- College Football Playoff Rankings: How Much Progress Will San Diego State Make in the Top 25? - MWWire - November 9th, 2021
- Russia not expecting progress at talks with U.S. on visas, diplomats -agencies - Reuters - November 9th, 2021
- Herd men a "work in progress" on offense - Huntington Herald Dispatch - November 9th, 2021
- FDA Clears Pharmaxis Cancer Drug to Progress to Phase 2 Study in Liver Cancer - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2021
- Progress report: What we know about the Penguins through 10 games - PensBurgh - November 9th, 2021
- Cs Showing Progress Adjusting to New Defensive System - Celtics.com - November 9th, 2021
- DOE Scientists Will Give Presentation on Fusion Energy Progress - New Energy Times - November 9th, 2021
- Arcturus Therapeutics Announces Third Quarter 2021 Financial Update and Pipeline Progress - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- NBA pleased with progress in officiating non-basketball moves, sees no evidence of increased physicality - ESPN - November 9th, 2021
- McKinley Bradshaw continues to progress for Cowgirls | University of Wyoming | wyomingnews.com - Wyoming Tribune - November 9th, 2021
- Editorial: An attempt to reverse progress on the Madison River - Bozeman Daily Chronicle - November 9th, 2021
- Scholar Rock Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Business Progress - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- Rail News - Rail supplier news from Wabtec, Sumitomo, Progress Rail, PSI and Alstom (Nov. 9). For Railroad Career Professionals - Progressive Rail... - November 9th, 2021
- United Way making progress toward $500000 goal, but more donations needed - Herald and News - November 9th, 2021
- Wendy Williams Gives Health Update: Im Making Progress - Extra - November 9th, 2021
- New poll shows Texans aren't happy with power grid progress. What has the PUC done so far? - CBS19.tv KYTX - November 9th, 2021
- How (and why) the Jan. 6 committee is making 'real progress' - MSNBC - November 9th, 2021
- UNHCR urges governments to accelerate progress and resolve plight of world's stateless - UNHCR - November 9th, 2021
- Space stock Maxar jumps after Q3 results, as Wall Street welcomes progress on key satellites - CNBC - November 9th, 2021
- A progress report on Walmart and Best Buy's ambitions in health care - STAT - November 9th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccinations: Visualizing a Year of Global Progress and Inequity - Council on Foreign Relations - November 9th, 2021
- Hansen: Irish look to carry defensive strides beyond their taming of Navy's triple option - Notre Dame Insider - November 9th, 2021
- Pentagon warns of China's progress toward nuclear triad - Military Times - November 9th, 2021