Notre Dame played its best game of the season against Purdue and rolled to a 27-13 victory for the teams 26thconsecutive win inside Notre Dame Stadium. With the win, Irish head coach Brian Kelly is now tied with legendary Notre Dame coach Knute Rockne for the program record of 105 wins.
It was a strong performance for the Irish on both sides of the ball, with the offense making big-time plays and the defense playing its best game of the season.
Though Irish quarterback Jack Coan completed just 15 of his 31 pass attempts, he still threw for 223 yards and two touchdowns and led what was a much-improved Notre Dame rushing attack.
Coan believes the Irish offense started to find its groove against the Boilermakers.
I definitely think we took a step forward today, Coan said. We played a more complete game, but at the end of the day we just have to focus on getting more consistent, whether its in the pass game and my part or the run game as well. I think if were consistent throughout a whole game were going to be a pretty difficult offense to stop.
Fifth-year wide receiver Avery Davis and sophomore running back Kyren Williams were two of the biggest starts offensively for Notre Dame against Purdue. Davis set career highs in receptions with five and receiving yards with 120, and broke the game open with a 62-yard touchdown catch in the third quarter. Meanwhile, Williams was effective in both the pass and run games, catching a quick in cut and taking it 39 yards to the house to put Notre Dame on the board in the second quarter and then making defenders look silly on a 51-yard touchdown run to close out the game in the fourth quarter.
Davis spoke highly of the offense after the game.
Its a great feeling. I think we all knew coming out of camp that we have a really talented offense so I think the biggest thing that we preach is be ready when your opportunities come, that was a thing going forward, Davis said. It was kind of my day today I guess, my opportunity, my number was called so just wanted to capitalize on that.
Davis has been a part of the past four double-digit win teams for Notre Dame and both trips to the College Football Playoff, and knew the team wasnt performing up to standard the previous two weeks.
I just know how those successful teams in the past have been because theres not too many guys in the locker room that have been a part of those undefeated teams, those teams that went to the Playoffs, so I know how hard we worked in practice and I just wanted to translate that over and whenever it might be a little low I wanted to bring energy and just say what I needed to say to get the guys going, Davis said.
Coan was effusive in his praise of Davis after the game.
AD definitely had a huge game, especially on that post play," Coan said of his slot receiver. "Hes a big-time player and he stepped up in a big moment and hes a guy I always trust to be in the right spot and doing the right thing. Im definitely thankful to have him on the team.
AD is an amazing person and an amazing leader of the team," continued Coan."Theres a reason hes a captain and one of the vocal leaders of the offense, when hes in that huddle with you, you trust him that hes going to do his job and make sure everyone is on the right page as well.
Games like Saturday are why Davis returned for another year.
I come back for moments like these and moments moving forward so right now Im going to take advantage of it. Its been a long time coming but I just keep my head on right, keep working and when the opportunity comes I just try to make the most of it.
For Williams, Saturday was all about bouncing back from last weeks struggles.
Last week we got a win, but it was a win that I could have taken away from the team, taken away from the program by fumbling the ball so I was mad at myself, Williams said.
I was upset at myself but I had to flip that switch immediately if I didnt want that to repeat again this week," continued Williams."Coach [Lance] Taylor told me, a lot of people told me, last week are the games that you come back from and really prove who you are as a player, as a leader, as a person. For me to be able to bounce back like I did this week after last week is big for me, it gives myself a lot of confidence.
Davis didnt hold back in his appreciation for Williams talent.
Hes insane. His ability to just maneuver through tight spaces to make people miss, his strength to stay up like when you saw #6 get on his back, I was right there running next to him so I got probably the best view of it and it was just incredible, Davis remembered. It kind of was, just watching him for a second, I forgot I had to block for him at the same time because hes just so entertaining man. Hes a really good football player.
After two games where the Irish rushing attacked appeared out of sorts, against Purdue the team moved the ball more effectively on the ground. Williams is confident with where the offensive line is headed.
If it wasnt obvious today, they responded well," Williams said of the line. "I feel like we came out as an offense, and the o-line specifically, they dominated. They went out there and proved themselves each and every down to dominate the person in front of them.
Thats all we were talking about, were keeping it simple in the run game, just go out there and play football and just do what you do best and thats what they did. They drove people back and gave me and Chris opportunities to make runs happen.
Defensively, Notre Dame played its best game of the season, giving up its fewest point and total yardage totals for the season.
Fifth-year defensive end Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa also thinks the Irish made major strides on Saturday.
I think the biggest thing coming from the first two weeks our defense lacked a lot of attention to detail, we talked about that a lot," Tagovailoa-Amosa explained. "Coming into this week, our focus as a defense was making sure we close out in the third and fourth quarter.
We also had a meeting last night with Coach [Marcus] Freeman, the entire defense, and he just told us, Hey our key to victory is making sure we finish, and so that was what the guys did today and so Im proud of them.
After surrendering double-digit points in the fourth quarter against Florida State and Toledo, Notre Dame held the Boilermakers scoreless in the fourth quarter on Saturday.
As a defense, we understood that the first two weeks we struggled with closing out games, so having this behind our back it definitely means a lot. It just goes to show that we can do a lot with this defense, Tagovailoa-Amosa said.
The Irish looked like a complete football team on both sides of the ball against Purdue and have shown much improvement across the board in the two weeks since the season began. If the team can continue to improve at such a high rate, the ceiling for what the Irish can accomplish this season is very high.
The win streak inside Notre Dame Stadium remains intact, and as Tagovailoa-Amosa made clear after the game, the team doesnt take any of it for granted.
All the guys know to wear that gold helmet on Saturdays, to run out that tunnel, its tradition. Its just truly a blessing to be out there.
Be sure to check out the Irish Breakdown message board, the Champions Lounge
Irish Breakdown Content
Notre Dame 2021 RosterNotre Dame 2021 Schedule
Notre Dame 2022 Commits Big Board: OffenseNotre Dame 2022 Commits Big Board: Defense
Notre Dame 2022 Scholarship Offers
Notre Dame 2022 Class Big BoardNotre Dame 2023 Class Big Board
Become a premium Irish Breakdown member, which grants you access to all of our premium content, our premium message board and gets you a FREE subscription to Sports Illustrated! Click on the link below for more
BECOME A MEMBER
Be sure to stay locked into Irish Breakdown all the time!
Join the Irish Breakdown community!Subscribe to the Irish Breakdown YouTube channelSubscribe to the Irish Breakdown podcast on iTunesFollow Grant on Twitter: GrantDelVecsNDLike and follow Irish Breakdown on Facebook
Sign up for the FREE Irish Breakdown daily newsletter
- Former U.S. President Clinton making progress but will remain in hospital - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- China's Xi calls for progress on property tax in drive for prosperity - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- 'Progress does not happen overnight': Sanofi on evolution of medicine - OutSourcing-Pharma.com - October 17th, 2021
- Zion Williamson progress from foot injury to be evaluated in 2-2.5 weeks - Pelicans.com - October 17th, 2021
- Despite progress, Indiana's still one of the nation's top CO2-emitting states - The Herald Bulletin - October 17th, 2021
- Lakers encouraged by preseason progress, despite not winning a game - Silver Screen and Roll - October 17th, 2021
- Duffy: Mum's positive influence on me and PROGRESS PORTSMOUTH - Seacoastonline.com - October 17th, 2021
- "Mick confirms those qualities" Ferrari is delighted with Mick Schumacher's progress in his first season in... - The Sportsrush - October 17th, 2021
- Trump-backed candidate would turn back the clock on progress in Virginia | TheHill - The Hill - October 17th, 2021
- Editorial: Kids aren't making progress on national tests and that's from before the pandemic - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- First Anniversary for Nonprofit Media Platform The Progress Network - PRNewswire - October 17th, 2021
- Bloomfield sees progress on its water utilities - pennlive.com - October 17th, 2021
- Mayor Guscioras Fourth State of the City Highlights Progress; Calls for Unity - TrentonDaily News - October 17th, 2021
- Work in Progress - iRunFar - October 17th, 2021
- Anthony McFarland 'Very Excited' By O-Line's Progress As He Nears Return - Steelers Depot - October 17th, 2021
- The evolution of racism in Farmville: the progress made since the end of segregation - The Rotunda - October 17th, 2021
- Building nation's awareness, one of most important factors for its stability, progress: Al-Sisi - Daily News Egypt - October 17th, 2021
- Including Immigration Parole in Reconciliation Will Help Millions - Center For American Progress - October 17th, 2021
- TMD, DPS Provide Update on Progress of OLS at Weekly Briefing | Department of Public Safety - the Texas Department of Public Safety - October 17th, 2021
- Braden Smith's injury progress 'not going as fast as we want' - Colts Wire - October 17th, 2021
- Biden to cite progress unsnarling supply chain in meeting with labor, industry - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2021
- The September jobs number was a big miss, but Biden sees 'great progress' in rising wages, lower unemployment rate - CNBC - October 9th, 2021
- LeBron James and Russell Westbrook admit chemistry is a work in progress after preseason debut - Sporting News - October 9th, 2021
- North Korea's Progress on Poultry Farms - 38 North - October 9th, 2021
- Slow progress on budget package with deadline weeks away - Roll Call - October 9th, 2021
- Could the Pandemic Ruin Progress Toward Equality in Law? - Legal Examiner - October 9th, 2021
- Queer Progress Fueled by the Best Ads Ever - Georgia Voice - October 9th, 2021
- Digging in on the China trade situation - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Salem makes progress on homeless issues, but more to be done - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Strive for progress, not perfection | Opinion | hpj.com - High Plains Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Progress is being made, supervisors say at State of the County | Regional Business Summit - Fontana Herald-News - October 9th, 2021
- Far Cry 6 review-in-progress: A silly game trying to be smart - VentureBeat - October 9th, 2021
- Alton Food Truck Park Construction Makes Great Progress - RiverBender.com - October 9th, 2021
- GUEST COLUMN: Progress and setbacks in Latinx education - Red and Black - October 9th, 2021
- New World review in progress: a fresh, swashbuckling MMO that's still very grindy early on - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 9th, 2021
- Breast Cancer: Updates & Progress in A Pandemic - WABC-TV - October 9th, 2021
- Diplomacy is sometimes a barrier to progress in universities - Times Higher Education (THE) - October 9th, 2021
- Vilsack working with FDA on animal biotechnology - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Affirmative Action Is About Spectacle, Not Progress - City Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Virtual Conference Highlights Real, Exciting Progress Pancreatic Cancer Action Network - Pancreatic Cancer News & Stories - October 7th, 2021
- European stocks gain on U.S. debt limit progress and Asian tech recovery - MarketWatch - October 7th, 2021
- The Lakers know theyre a work in progress - Silver Screen and Roll - October 7th, 2021
- Editorial: Making progress on vacation rentals - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - October 7th, 2021
- Giants' Joe Judge 'encouraged' with progress of injured players - Giants Wire - October 7th, 2021
- Embark Releases Webcast From Embark Day Showcasing Business and Technology Progress to Accelerate Rollout of Autonomous Trucking - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- TEPA directors updated on Covid-19, broadband progress | News | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Boys soccer: Lourdes picked up the pace in its progress by slowing down - Poughkeepsie Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Orlando Brown says hes unaware of any contract extension progress with Chiefs - Arrowhead Addict - October 7th, 2021
- Construction Round-Up: Projects around the region make progress - WTMJ - October 7th, 2021
- Oakland As may have some progress on Howard Terminal front - White Cleat Beat - October 7th, 2021
- Work In Progress Is Living Up to Its Title - Vulture - October 7th, 2021
- Immunicom Hires Former FDA Clinician and Medical Device Reviewer to Rapidly Progress Launch of Novel Cancer Immunotherapy - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- AbbVie Higher on Rinvoq Trial Progress to Treat Spinal Arthritis - TheStreet - October 7th, 2021
- Nevada Copper Provides Update on Accelerating Stope Production and Ramp-Up Progress and Announces Appointment of Chief Executive Officer - Yahoo... - October 7th, 2021
- Mac Jones Sees Progress With Patriots Offense, But Says There Are No Moral Victories - CBS Boston - October 7th, 2021
- Tomlin Calls Bush-Schobert Combo 'A Work In Progress That I Think Is Going Rather Well' - Steelers Depot - October 7th, 2021
- Breast Cancer 2021: Much Progress, But Work Remains - WebMD - October 3rd, 2021
- USU rescues orphaned bear cub, watch her progress via live streaming - ABC 4 - October 3rd, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Offensive Line is a Work in Progress - Sports Illustrated - October 3rd, 2021
- Department of Homeland Security: Progress Made Strengthening Management Functions, but Work Remains - Government Accountability Office - October 3rd, 2021
- Egypt signals progress in normalization of ties with Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - October 3rd, 2021
- It's hard to find love when you're a work in progress - The Boston Globe - October 3rd, 2021
- Trending Hornets: Cody Martin was good enough but he didnt progress in Year 2 - At The Hive - October 3rd, 2021
- Mid-semester progress report window to open in Starfish on Oct. 4 | Penn State University - Penn State News - October 3rd, 2021
- In Rationality, Steven Pinker Sticks Up (Again) for Reasons Role in Human Progress - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2021
- Take a look at the Gene Leahy Mall and progress on the Riverfront Revitalization project - KETV Omaha - October 3rd, 2021
- NC Progress launches new website to find the truth about underfunded schools | The Pulse - The Progressive Pulse - October 3rd, 2021
- Oregons Black leaders are unsatisfied with incremental progress the state has seen a year after calling for monumental change - OPB News - October 3rd, 2021
- New World review in progress a flawed, but promising MMO - PCGamesN - October 3rd, 2021
- Connor Colby A Work in Progress - CalBearsMaven - October 3rd, 2021
- Ron Rivera says struggling Washington Football Team is a 'work in progress' - NBC Sports - October 3rd, 2021
- Addressing Fragmentation, Overlap, and Duplication: Progress in Enhancing Government Effectiveness and Achieving Hundreds of Billions of Dollars in... - October 3rd, 2021
- Title IX and women's sports at K-State: 50 years of progress - Manhattan Mercury - October 3rd, 2021
- Sign of progress, Biden digs in to strike deal on $3.5T plan - WGN TV Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Progress Made in Clearing Backlogs in FOID Card Applications, Renewals, ISP Says - NBC Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Arsenal progress halted after goalless draw at Brighton; pressure builds on Steve Bruce - The National - October 3rd, 2021
- Preventing falls is important for all ages | Pontotoc Progress | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 3rd, 2021
- The occupied Palestinian territory reforms its hospital sector to make progress towards universal health coverage - World Health Organization - October 3rd, 2021
- The Orioles are showing progress in the seasons final month - Camden Chat - September 27th, 2021
- Dallas schools were on the rise, praised for progress and reform. And then the pandemic hit - The Dallas Morning News - September 27th, 2021