Firefighters from the Cosumnes Fire Department carry water hoses last week while holding a fire line to keep the Caldor Fire from spreading in South Lake Tahoe, Calif. Jae C. Hong/AP hide caption
Firefighters from the Cosumnes Fire Department carry water hoses last week while holding a fire line to keep the Caldor Fire from spreading in South Lake Tahoe, Calif.
As California battles wildfires throughout the state, a new crop of suspicious fires that erupted over Labor Day weekend added to an already busy wildfire season.
Officials warned residents in Sonoma County to remain vigilant after more than a dozen fires erupted late Monday.
State Sen. Mike McGuire tweeted at around 10 p.m. local time that several "suspicious" fires started over the course of the evening. Fire engines and emergency personnel gathered in the Healdsburg area and responded quickly to as many as 15 new blazes, McGuire told the San Francisco Chronicle.
Firefighters were able to stop most of the forward progress on multiple fires in the area overnight, he said. Images and videos shared on Twitter show firefighters battling smoke and flames on glowing hillsides along the side of the road.
Over the weekend, at least three other fires started.
In Amador County, near where the long-burning Caldor Fire is, the Lawrence Fire, that started Sunday, engulfed 46 acres by Monday, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire, reported. Roads were briefly closed, and fire officials carried out some evacuations before the blaze was nearly 90% contained by 6:30 p.m. local time Monday.
Farther north, the Bridge Fire was reported Sunday afternoon. By the next day, the fire had burned more than 400 acres but was 15% contained, allowing evacuation orders and warnings to be lifted. Officials kept the Auburn State Recreation Area closed, however.
In San Diego County, the Aruba Fire also started Sunday afternoon. Firefighters made quick work of it, however, and by Monday, it was 60% contained.
On Monday, officials announced significant progress in battling the Caldor Fire. Some evacuation warnings were lifted around Lake Tahoe as it reached 44% containment. Evacuation orders for South Lake Tahoe were downgraded to evacuation warnings, allowing some residents to return home after a week away.
A sign outside a South Lake Tahoe fire station welcomes residents back after the lifting of evacuation orders Monday. The resort town was cleared last week due to the Caldor Fire. Samuel Metz/AP hide caption
A sign outside a South Lake Tahoe fire station welcomes residents back after the lifting of evacuation orders Monday. The resort town was cleared last week due to the Caldor Fire.
The blaze, active for 22 days, has burned 216,358 acres (338 square miles). Cal Fire reported that at least 965 buildings were destroyed in the blaze and another 76 damaged.
About a dozen fires are ongoing in California. So far this year, 7,139 fires burned across the state scorching more than 2 million acres (more than 3,100 square miles). The Dixie Fire can be blamed for much of that damage. It has burned more than 900,000 acres since erupting more than 50 days ago.
At least one firefighter died while battling the blaze, according to officials. Marcus Pacheco, an assistant fire engine operator for Lassen National Forest with 30 years' experience, died on Thursday from an illness.
No other details on Pacheco's death were provided.
Nationwide, as of Monday, there were 81 large fires or complexes that have burned more than 2.8 million acres in 11 states. Incidents in California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington reported active fire behavior, with several large fires making significant runs, according to the National Interagency Fire Center.
The National Weather Service issued heat advisories for several parts of California through the rest of the week. Fire risks are expected through Friday due to this stretch of hot, dry weather.
Temperatures throughout the rest of the West Coast will reach 10 to 20 degrees above normal. According to the National Weather Service, some parts of California could reach 110 degrees.
Smoke shrouds parts of Lake Tahoe visible from the Ski Run Marina in downtown South Lake Tahoe on Monday. Samuel Metz/AP hide caption
Smoke shrouds parts of Lake Tahoe visible from the Ski Run Marina in downtown South Lake Tahoe on Monday.
The heat, compounded by smoke from the wildfires, is also creating serious air quality issues.
In Lake Tahoe, officials warned communities in the areas affected by the wildfires that they should expect to see and smell heavy smoke if they return home.
Air quality officials extended a Spare the Air alert, which is raised when the air is forecast to be unhealthy, through Tuesday for the Bay Area.
"Wildfire smoke combined with high inland temperatures and vehicle exhaust are expected to cause unhealthy smog, or ozone, accumulation in the Bay Area," according to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District. "Smoke from Northern California wildfires is expected to continue to impact the region creating hazy and smoky skies."
"Climate change is impacting our region with more frequent wildfires and heat waves leading to poor air quality," said Veronica Eady, senior deputy executive officer of the air district. "We can all help by driving less to reduce smog and improve air quality when respiratory health is top of mind for us all."
Read more here:
- Former U.S. President Clinton making progress but will remain in hospital - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- China's Xi calls for progress on property tax in drive for prosperity - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- 'Progress does not happen overnight': Sanofi on evolution of medicine - OutSourcing-Pharma.com - October 17th, 2021
- Zion Williamson progress from foot injury to be evaluated in 2-2.5 weeks - Pelicans.com - October 17th, 2021
- People's Organization for Progress Stops in Rahway on its Way to Trenton - TAPinto.net - October 17th, 2021
- Despite progress, Indiana's still one of the nation's top CO2-emitting states - The Herald Bulletin - October 17th, 2021
- Lakers encouraged by preseason progress, despite not winning a game - Silver Screen and Roll - October 17th, 2021
- Global progress in tackling tuberculosis has been reversed by the COVID-19 pandemic - News-Medical.Net - October 17th, 2021
- Duffy: Mum's positive influence on me and PROGRESS PORTSMOUTH - Seacoastonline.com - October 17th, 2021
- "Mick confirms those qualities" Ferrari is delighted with Mick Schumacher's progress in his first season in... - The Sportsrush - October 17th, 2021
- Trump-backed candidate would turn back the clock on progress in Virginia | TheHill - The Hill - October 17th, 2021
- Editorial: Kids aren't making progress on national tests and that's from before the pandemic - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- First Anniversary for Nonprofit Media Platform The Progress Network - PRNewswire - October 17th, 2021
- Ethereum's Latest Progress Toward Proof-of-Stake - CoinDesk - October 17th, 2021
- Bloomfield sees progress on its water utilities - pennlive.com - October 17th, 2021
- Mayor Guscioras Fourth State of the City Highlights Progress; Calls for Unity - TrentonDaily News - October 17th, 2021
- Work in Progress - iRunFar - October 17th, 2021
- Anthony McFarland 'Very Excited' By O-Line's Progress As He Nears Return - Steelers Depot - October 17th, 2021
- The evolution of racism in Farmville: the progress made since the end of segregation - The Rotunda - October 17th, 2021
- Building nation's awareness, one of most important factors for its stability, progress: Al-Sisi - Daily News Egypt - October 17th, 2021
- Including Immigration Parole in Reconciliation Will Help Millions - Center For American Progress - October 17th, 2021
- TMD, DPS Provide Update on Progress of OLS at Weekly Briefing | Department of Public Safety - the Texas Department of Public Safety - October 17th, 2021
- Braden Smith's injury progress 'not going as fast as we want' - Colts Wire - October 17th, 2021
- Biden to cite progress unsnarling supply chain in meeting with labor, industry - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2021
- The September jobs number was a big miss, but Biden sees 'great progress' in rising wages, lower unemployment rate - CNBC - October 9th, 2021
- LeBron James and Russell Westbrook admit chemistry is a work in progress after preseason debut - Sporting News - October 9th, 2021
- North Korea's Progress on Poultry Farms - 38 North - October 9th, 2021
- Slow progress on budget package with deadline weeks away - Roll Call - October 9th, 2021
- Could the Pandemic Ruin Progress Toward Equality in Law? - Legal Examiner - October 9th, 2021
- Queer Progress Fueled by the Best Ads Ever - Georgia Voice - October 9th, 2021
- Digging in on the China trade situation - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Salem makes progress on homeless issues, but more to be done - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Strive for progress, not perfection | Opinion | hpj.com - High Plains Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Progress is being made, supervisors say at State of the County | Regional Business Summit - Fontana Herald-News - October 9th, 2021
- Far Cry 6 review-in-progress: A silly game trying to be smart - VentureBeat - October 9th, 2021
- Alton Food Truck Park Construction Makes Great Progress - RiverBender.com - October 9th, 2021
- GUEST COLUMN: Progress and setbacks in Latinx education - Red and Black - October 9th, 2021
- New World review in progress: a fresh, swashbuckling MMO that's still very grindy early on - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 9th, 2021
- Breast Cancer: Updates & Progress in A Pandemic - WABC-TV - October 9th, 2021
- Diplomacy is sometimes a barrier to progress in universities - Times Higher Education (THE) - October 9th, 2021
- Vilsack working with FDA on animal biotechnology - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Affirmative Action Is About Spectacle, Not Progress - City Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Virtual Conference Highlights Real, Exciting Progress Pancreatic Cancer Action Network - Pancreatic Cancer News & Stories - October 7th, 2021
- European stocks gain on U.S. debt limit progress and Asian tech recovery - MarketWatch - October 7th, 2021
- The Lakers know theyre a work in progress - Silver Screen and Roll - October 7th, 2021
- Editorial: Making progress on vacation rentals - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - October 7th, 2021
- Giants' Joe Judge 'encouraged' with progress of injured players - Giants Wire - October 7th, 2021
- Embark Releases Webcast From Embark Day Showcasing Business and Technology Progress to Accelerate Rollout of Autonomous Trucking - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- TEPA directors updated on Covid-19, broadband progress | News | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Boys soccer: Lourdes picked up the pace in its progress by slowing down - Poughkeepsie Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Orlando Brown says hes unaware of any contract extension progress with Chiefs - Arrowhead Addict - October 7th, 2021
- Construction Round-Up: Projects around the region make progress - WTMJ - October 7th, 2021
- Oakland As may have some progress on Howard Terminal front - White Cleat Beat - October 7th, 2021
- Work In Progress Is Living Up to Its Title - Vulture - October 7th, 2021
- Immunicom Hires Former FDA Clinician and Medical Device Reviewer to Rapidly Progress Launch of Novel Cancer Immunotherapy - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- AbbVie Higher on Rinvoq Trial Progress to Treat Spinal Arthritis - TheStreet - October 7th, 2021
- Nevada Copper Provides Update on Accelerating Stope Production and Ramp-Up Progress and Announces Appointment of Chief Executive Officer - Yahoo... - October 7th, 2021
- Mac Jones Sees Progress With Patriots Offense, But Says There Are No Moral Victories - CBS Boston - October 7th, 2021
- Tomlin Calls Bush-Schobert Combo 'A Work In Progress That I Think Is Going Rather Well' - Steelers Depot - October 7th, 2021
- Breast Cancer 2021: Much Progress, But Work Remains - WebMD - October 3rd, 2021
- USU rescues orphaned bear cub, watch her progress via live streaming - ABC 4 - October 3rd, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Offensive Line is a Work in Progress - Sports Illustrated - October 3rd, 2021
- Department of Homeland Security: Progress Made Strengthening Management Functions, but Work Remains - Government Accountability Office - October 3rd, 2021
- Egypt signals progress in normalization of ties with Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - October 3rd, 2021
- It's hard to find love when you're a work in progress - The Boston Globe - October 3rd, 2021
- Trending Hornets: Cody Martin was good enough but he didnt progress in Year 2 - At The Hive - October 3rd, 2021
- Mid-semester progress report window to open in Starfish on Oct. 4 | Penn State University - Penn State News - October 3rd, 2021
- In Rationality, Steven Pinker Sticks Up (Again) for Reasons Role in Human Progress - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2021
- Take a look at the Gene Leahy Mall and progress on the Riverfront Revitalization project - KETV Omaha - October 3rd, 2021
- NC Progress launches new website to find the truth about underfunded schools | The Pulse - The Progressive Pulse - October 3rd, 2021
- Oregons Black leaders are unsatisfied with incremental progress the state has seen a year after calling for monumental change - OPB News - October 3rd, 2021
- New World review in progress a flawed, but promising MMO - PCGamesN - October 3rd, 2021
- Connor Colby A Work in Progress - CalBearsMaven - October 3rd, 2021
- Ron Rivera says struggling Washington Football Team is a 'work in progress' - NBC Sports - October 3rd, 2021
- Addressing Fragmentation, Overlap, and Duplication: Progress in Enhancing Government Effectiveness and Achieving Hundreds of Billions of Dollars in... - October 3rd, 2021
- Title IX and women's sports at K-State: 50 years of progress - Manhattan Mercury - October 3rd, 2021
- Sign of progress, Biden digs in to strike deal on $3.5T plan - WGN TV Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Progress Made in Clearing Backlogs in FOID Card Applications, Renewals, ISP Says - NBC Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Arsenal progress halted after goalless draw at Brighton; pressure builds on Steve Bruce - The National - October 3rd, 2021
- Preventing falls is important for all ages | Pontotoc Progress | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 3rd, 2021