Stewart-Haas Racing isnt having a very good NASCAR Cup Series season, but Kevin Harvick and Aric Almirola made the playoffs. Despite those two plus Chase Briscoe and Cole Custer likely earning another season of job security, team co-owner Tony Stewart still faces his second straight year of starting from scratch.
Thats because SHR, like all the Cup Series teams, must retire the current fleets and introduce the Next Gen cars, hopefully in time for the Daytona 500. The car offers enhanced safety and likely reduces the gap between the top and bottom performers. Multiple drivers performed a shakeout on the setups in testing this week.
Drivers will do more testing between now and Daytona. Stewart and Gene Haas will have to optimize the new cars once NASCAR sets the final standards shortly before the 2022 season.
A year ago, though, Stewart turned his attention to another major initiative that introduced a not-so-new racing idea to fans. Stewart and Ray Evernham, who made his reputation as Jeff Gordons crew chief in the 1990s, founded Superstar Racing Experience (SRX).
SRX launched with a six-race season and the general premise of the old IROC series: Put drivers from various backgrounds into identically prepared cars and let em go at it. But SRX added some changeups, including relying on dirt tracks, randomly assigning crew chiefs to new cars each week, and enlisting local drivers as one-off entries.
Stewart and Evernham didnt score a monstrous success right out of the box, but CBS liked what it saw on Saturday nights. SRX delivered an obvious NASCAR flavor, but with shorter races and smaller fields. TV viewers bought into the idea enough to earn Stewart and Evernham a second season of mixing the likes of Helio Castroneves and Paul Tracy with NASCAR and IMSA veterans.
Speaking to CBS Sports leading up to the start of the NASCAR Cup Series playoffs, Stewart said he is lining up money for the new seasons traveling show. Hes also been kicking around innovations, including literally taking SRX down a different road.
Obviously after the first season youre gonna make tweaks and changes, but (were) extremely happy with the product, obviously. Happy with the fact that after Week 1 we took the fans feedback and were able to implement that for the next five weeks. I personally would like to add a road course race to the schedule next year, definitely looking at driver lineups and potential changes in the driver lineup for next year.
Tacking on a road course is a departure from version 1.0 of SRX, but it makes sense. It serves as an equalizer for drivers, who come from a variety of backgrounds, and adds a challenge for crew chiefs, who really only needed to set up cars in one fashion a year ago. But NASCAR went heavy on road courses this season, and all but the most hardcore Cup Series fans seemed to embrace the idea.
But what can Stewart do beyond adding a road course? Here are some possibilities:
These guys arent gimmicks, and SRX can use more of them.
Chase Elliott pulled double duty by racing against his father in Nashville on Saturday night and then returning to his NASCAR gig the following day. If Stewart, who drove in the SRX series this summer, can use his connections to add active Cup Series drivers and colleagues like Gordon or Dale Earnhardt Jr., now that they know SRX isnt some fly-by-night outfit, he could probably goose TV ratings by another 20%.
Again, theres an expense involved in adding cars. But aiming big requires an investment. Besides, the cost of two or four more cars will pale in comparison to buying the fleet of Next Gen cars that Stewart-Haas will need for the 2022 season.
Like Sportscasting on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter @sportscasting19.
RELATED: Tony Stewart Won a Race and Celebrated by Posing on a Bull
Continue reading here:
- Former U.S. President Clinton making progress but will remain in hospital - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- China's Xi calls for progress on property tax in drive for prosperity - Reuters - October 17th, 2021
- 'Progress does not happen overnight': Sanofi on evolution of medicine - OutSourcing-Pharma.com - October 17th, 2021
- Zion Williamson progress from foot injury to be evaluated in 2-2.5 weeks - Pelicans.com - October 17th, 2021
- Despite progress, Indiana's still one of the nation's top CO2-emitting states - The Herald Bulletin - October 17th, 2021
- Lakers encouraged by preseason progress, despite not winning a game - Silver Screen and Roll - October 17th, 2021
- Duffy: Mum's positive influence on me and PROGRESS PORTSMOUTH - Seacoastonline.com - October 17th, 2021
- "Mick confirms those qualities" Ferrari is delighted with Mick Schumacher's progress in his first season in... - The Sportsrush - October 17th, 2021
- Trump-backed candidate would turn back the clock on progress in Virginia | TheHill - The Hill - October 17th, 2021
- Editorial: Kids aren't making progress on national tests and that's from before the pandemic - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- First Anniversary for Nonprofit Media Platform The Progress Network - PRNewswire - October 17th, 2021
- Bloomfield sees progress on its water utilities - pennlive.com - October 17th, 2021
- Mayor Guscioras Fourth State of the City Highlights Progress; Calls for Unity - TrentonDaily News - October 17th, 2021
- Work in Progress - iRunFar - October 17th, 2021
- Anthony McFarland 'Very Excited' By O-Line's Progress As He Nears Return - Steelers Depot - October 17th, 2021
- The evolution of racism in Farmville: the progress made since the end of segregation - The Rotunda - October 17th, 2021
- Building nation's awareness, one of most important factors for its stability, progress: Al-Sisi - Daily News Egypt - October 17th, 2021
- Including Immigration Parole in Reconciliation Will Help Millions - Center For American Progress - October 17th, 2021
- TMD, DPS Provide Update on Progress of OLS at Weekly Briefing | Department of Public Safety - the Texas Department of Public Safety - October 17th, 2021
- Braden Smith's injury progress 'not going as fast as we want' - Colts Wire - October 17th, 2021
- Biden to cite progress unsnarling supply chain in meeting with labor, industry - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2021
- The September jobs number was a big miss, but Biden sees 'great progress' in rising wages, lower unemployment rate - CNBC - October 9th, 2021
- LeBron James and Russell Westbrook admit chemistry is a work in progress after preseason debut - Sporting News - October 9th, 2021
- North Korea's Progress on Poultry Farms - 38 North - October 9th, 2021
- Slow progress on budget package with deadline weeks away - Roll Call - October 9th, 2021
- Could the Pandemic Ruin Progress Toward Equality in Law? - Legal Examiner - October 9th, 2021
- Queer Progress Fueled by the Best Ads Ever - Georgia Voice - October 9th, 2021
- Digging in on the China trade situation - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Salem makes progress on homeless issues, but more to be done - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Strive for progress, not perfection | Opinion | hpj.com - High Plains Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Progress is being made, supervisors say at State of the County | Regional Business Summit - Fontana Herald-News - October 9th, 2021
- Far Cry 6 review-in-progress: A silly game trying to be smart - VentureBeat - October 9th, 2021
- Alton Food Truck Park Construction Makes Great Progress - RiverBender.com - October 9th, 2021
- GUEST COLUMN: Progress and setbacks in Latinx education - Red and Black - October 9th, 2021
- New World review in progress: a fresh, swashbuckling MMO that's still very grindy early on - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 9th, 2021
- Breast Cancer: Updates & Progress in A Pandemic - WABC-TV - October 9th, 2021
- Diplomacy is sometimes a barrier to progress in universities - Times Higher Education (THE) - October 9th, 2021
- Vilsack working with FDA on animal biotechnology - Farm Progress - October 9th, 2021
- Affirmative Action Is About Spectacle, Not Progress - City Journal - October 9th, 2021
- Virtual Conference Highlights Real, Exciting Progress Pancreatic Cancer Action Network - Pancreatic Cancer News & Stories - October 7th, 2021
- European stocks gain on U.S. debt limit progress and Asian tech recovery - MarketWatch - October 7th, 2021
- The Lakers know theyre a work in progress - Silver Screen and Roll - October 7th, 2021
- Editorial: Making progress on vacation rentals - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - October 7th, 2021
- Giants' Joe Judge 'encouraged' with progress of injured players - Giants Wire - October 7th, 2021
- Embark Releases Webcast From Embark Day Showcasing Business and Technology Progress to Accelerate Rollout of Autonomous Trucking - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- TEPA directors updated on Covid-19, broadband progress | News | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Boys soccer: Lourdes picked up the pace in its progress by slowing down - Poughkeepsie Journal - October 7th, 2021
- Orlando Brown says hes unaware of any contract extension progress with Chiefs - Arrowhead Addict - October 7th, 2021
- Construction Round-Up: Projects around the region make progress - WTMJ - October 7th, 2021
- Oakland As may have some progress on Howard Terminal front - White Cleat Beat - October 7th, 2021
- Work In Progress Is Living Up to Its Title - Vulture - October 7th, 2021
- Immunicom Hires Former FDA Clinician and Medical Device Reviewer to Rapidly Progress Launch of Novel Cancer Immunotherapy - Business Wire - October 7th, 2021
- AbbVie Higher on Rinvoq Trial Progress to Treat Spinal Arthritis - TheStreet - October 7th, 2021
- Nevada Copper Provides Update on Accelerating Stope Production and Ramp-Up Progress and Announces Appointment of Chief Executive Officer - Yahoo... - October 7th, 2021
- Mac Jones Sees Progress With Patriots Offense, But Says There Are No Moral Victories - CBS Boston - October 7th, 2021
- Tomlin Calls Bush-Schobert Combo 'A Work In Progress That I Think Is Going Rather Well' - Steelers Depot - October 7th, 2021
- Breast Cancer 2021: Much Progress, But Work Remains - WebMD - October 3rd, 2021
- USU rescues orphaned bear cub, watch her progress via live streaming - ABC 4 - October 3rd, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Offensive Line is a Work in Progress - Sports Illustrated - October 3rd, 2021
- Department of Homeland Security: Progress Made Strengthening Management Functions, but Work Remains - Government Accountability Office - October 3rd, 2021
- Egypt signals progress in normalization of ties with Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - October 3rd, 2021
- It's hard to find love when you're a work in progress - The Boston Globe - October 3rd, 2021
- Trending Hornets: Cody Martin was good enough but he didnt progress in Year 2 - At The Hive - October 3rd, 2021
- Mid-semester progress report window to open in Starfish on Oct. 4 | Penn State University - Penn State News - October 3rd, 2021
- In Rationality, Steven Pinker Sticks Up (Again) for Reasons Role in Human Progress - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2021
- Take a look at the Gene Leahy Mall and progress on the Riverfront Revitalization project - KETV Omaha - October 3rd, 2021
- NC Progress launches new website to find the truth about underfunded schools | The Pulse - The Progressive Pulse - October 3rd, 2021
- Oregons Black leaders are unsatisfied with incremental progress the state has seen a year after calling for monumental change - OPB News - October 3rd, 2021
- New World review in progress a flawed, but promising MMO - PCGamesN - October 3rd, 2021
- Connor Colby A Work in Progress - CalBearsMaven - October 3rd, 2021
- Ron Rivera says struggling Washington Football Team is a 'work in progress' - NBC Sports - October 3rd, 2021
- Addressing Fragmentation, Overlap, and Duplication: Progress in Enhancing Government Effectiveness and Achieving Hundreds of Billions of Dollars in... - October 3rd, 2021
- Title IX and women's sports at K-State: 50 years of progress - Manhattan Mercury - October 3rd, 2021
- Sign of progress, Biden digs in to strike deal on $3.5T plan - WGN TV Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Progress Made in Clearing Backlogs in FOID Card Applications, Renewals, ISP Says - NBC Chicago - October 3rd, 2021
- Arsenal progress halted after goalless draw at Brighton; pressure builds on Steve Bruce - The National - October 3rd, 2021
- Preventing falls is important for all ages | Pontotoc Progress | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - October 3rd, 2021
- The occupied Palestinian territory reforms its hospital sector to make progress towards universal health coverage - World Health Organization - October 3rd, 2021
- The Orioles are showing progress in the seasons final month - Camden Chat - September 27th, 2021
- Dallas schools were on the rise, praised for progress and reform. And then the pandemic hit - The Dallas Morning News - September 27th, 2021