ORLANDO Two of the Orlando Magics foundational pieces continue to make strides as they hit milestones in their rehab.
Fans eager for updates to the conditions of Markelle Fultz and Jonathan Isaac were provided additional insight on Friday morning as both Fultz and Magic President of Basketball Operations Jeff Weltman spoke to the media after shootaround.
As they have their occasional checkups with doctors, and they have imaging, I can just tell you theyre both moving forward and theyre doing great, Weltman explained. I can tell you that Markelle, we just sent him down this week to start practicing with Lakeland because theyll have more live-action situations than well have in the middle of an NBA season. So, hes starting to ramp up to that phase where hes actually starting to get involved in some live action. Jonathan isnt at that point yet, but he continues to make great, steady progress and theyre both doing really well.
As the Magics President of Basketball Operations indicated, in addition to going through on-court work in Orlando, Fultz has also been practicing in Lakeland with the teams G League squad when the Magic are on the road. Prior to stepping over to speak with the media, the physical point guard engaged in two-on-two drills that also included teammates Moe Wagner and Ignas Brazdeikis, who spent time after shootaround working with Orlandos floor general.
Im very excited with where I am at and where I am going, Fultz explained. Its the next step in the process. When I first got injured, it was all about steps. Knowing its going to be a long journey but taking it one step at a time. Right now, Im in the process of getting back into things, bumping, and getting up and down. Getting my conditioning right. Like I said, I feel really good.
Fultzs injury on Jan. 6, 2021 disrupted a breakout season for the 6-foot-4 guard. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft was averaging career bests in points (14.3) and assists (6.1) in the seven games prior to suffering a devastating ACL injury in his left knee in the eighth contest of Orlandos 2020-21 campaign.
The Magic jumped out to a 6-2 start to that season, but then lost six straight games after Fultz suffered his knee injury.
I felt like I was just getting started into a real good groove with a full summer under my belt after coming back for a full season, Fultz said. Just building mentally. Where I took the big step in the summer was watching a lot of film and understanding the game and slowing it down even more.
Isaac, meanwhile, continues to look to build strength in his knee after an ACL injury disrupted an amazing comeback story.
After suffering a knee injury on New Years Day of 2020, it appeared that Isaacs season was over. However, with the season being interrupted due to COVID-19 and not resuming until late in the summer, the 6-foot-10 forward was able to make a stunning return in the NBA bubble at Walt Disney World.
Isaac scored 13 points and grabbed seven rebounds in just seven minutes of playing time during his first game back in a scrimmage against the Denver Nuggets. He tallied 16 points in 16 minutes during Orlandos win over the Brooklyn Nets in the Magics first seeding game, and then had four points, three rebounds, four assists and two steals against the Kings on Aug. 2, 2020 before the injury.
Now, despite his eagerness to get back on the court, the sixth overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft remains focused on strengthening his knee and staying patient as he relentlessly continues to ramp up his rehab and prepare for in-game action.
Its everything. Theres a right way to do this and the most important thing for Jonathan is not just that we address the injury, but his whole body, Weltman said. Hes missed essentially two years of action and theres a lot that comes with that. So, making sure that his body is balanced, that its strengthened everywhere, that his core is tight. In the meantime, hes using the time very productively. His body is filling out, his shot looks way improved from the last time he was on the court, and hes in a really good place.
While some fans may desire exact timelines for the Magics two young standouts, the team remained steadfast in its policy of instead focusing on conducting the rehab process the right way rather than stamping unnecessary deadlines on returns.
I know our fans can get frustrated with some of this, but we always want to put our fans first and be as transparent as possible, Weltman said. That said, the way that we manage our injuries has to be done with the benefit of our players which is theyre showing up every day, theyre doing their work, and they have to know that the timetables are going to be in accordance with the results of their work. So, no injuries are the same, no two bodies are the same.
Its a process thats appreciated by Fultz, who came to the team in a trade deadline deal in Feb. 2019 in the midst of rehabbing his shoulder. Its something he noticed and valued from day one of his arrival.
Its amazing, ever since I first came over here, dealing with the shoulder injury, Fultz said. Thats the one thing, I always felt like they had open arms, there was no rush (and) I didnt feel any pressure. But at the same time, were all about getting work done. Theyve done a great job of just comforting me and making sure that Im okay, but also doing the things I need to do to make sure Im ready. I love the game, so I dont want to be out any longer than I have to be. Its all about being smart. They do a great job of making sure that we understand that theyre not putting any (unnecessary) pressure on us.
- Marking 5 decades of progress in cancer care - Urology Times - January 5th, 2022
- Ranch group recognizes progress but skeptical of White House action plan - The Fence Post - January 5th, 2022
- Some signs of progress on Hogarth Ave. in Flint - ABC 12 News - January 5th, 2022
- Better Country Beyond: Progress ... and then the big freeze - The West Volusia Beacon - January 5th, 2022
- Bicycle Therapeutics Announces Continued Clinical Progress and Updates to Management Team - Business Wire - January 5th, 2022
- Legislative topic today is education. Bottom line: progress slight over last two decades. - Arkansas Times - January 5th, 2022
- 'PAUL' IT ALL TOGETHER: Resolutions And Empty Spaces - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- By the numbers: Biden reviews supply chain progress with task force - Supply Chain Dive - January 5th, 2022
- Resilient Kingston making progress while facing COVID, other challenges, mayor says in State of the City address - The Daily Freeman - January 5th, 2022
- Cowboy Ingenuity And A Steam Engine - The Progress - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- NC Coastal Federation recaps its progress, looks forward to 2022 - WNCT - January 5th, 2022
- Tolton girls basketball shows signs of progress in first win of the season - Columbia Daily Tribune - January 5th, 2022
- NYC wiped out five years of policing progress in 2021 - New York Post - January 5th, 2022
- City: Daylite Inn making progress on code violations - The Elkhart Truth - January 5th, 2022
- Women Directors Are Actually Losing Ground in Hollywood. Progress In Other Roles Is Glacial - LAist - January 5th, 2022
- The very slow progress on Hazard Center Road - San Diego Reader - January 5th, 2022
- SH Lions Hang On To Beat Bobcats - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Top stories of 2021 in the Jackson Progress-Argus, Part 1 - jacksonprogress-argus - January 5th, 2022
- Big Red Tigers Take Win Over Bulldogs - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- First Snow of 2022 Preceded by Storms and Power Outages - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Battle of Parkers Crossroads Holds 159th Anniversary Event - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Tech trend review offers insight into the future - Farm Progress - January 5th, 2022
- Five Areas of Energy and Climate Progress to Watch for in 2022 - Energy Institute at Haas - January 5th, 2022
- Forward Progress And Texans Stopped - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Don't Let Excellence Get in the Way of Progress - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress Report: Thai Airways Slow But Steady Rehabilitation - Simple Flying - January 3rd, 2022
- Man City Youngster Keen On January Move Abroad to Progress Development - Club's Stance on Potential Sale Revealed - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Brazil Mayor, Brian Wyndham, reflects on progress made in 2021 - WTHITV.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Will the Democratization of Technology Accelerate Progress in AI? - InformationWeek - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress made in Alzheimer's fight this year - Mount Airy News - January 3rd, 2022
- FROM THE HART: OSU's 'biggest win' shows progress and potential - Stillwater News Press - January 3rd, 2022
- The Seahawks offense is still a work-in-progress - Field Gulls - January 3rd, 2022
- Iran says nuclear talks in Vienna are seeing satisfactory progress - The Times of Israel - January 3rd, 2022
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp checks in on the progress of Hub Development - WJBF-TV - January 3rd, 2022
- A Dozen Things That Helped and Hurt Climate Progress in 2021 - State of the Planet - January 3rd, 2022
- Lithium: A year of progress and protests | Mining | elkodaily.com - Elko Daily Free Press - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress edition: Startups not deterred by the pandemic - Post Register - January 3rd, 2022
- Native American tribes have made progress against COVID. Omicron has them 'back in crisis mode.' - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2022
- Dan Campbell is a throwback who is making progress as Lions head coach - SideLion Report - January 3rd, 2022
- Bill Belichick Sheds Light on Mac Jones Progress and Development as a Rookie QB - EssentiallySports - January 3rd, 2022
- Mayor Lightfoot reflects on City of Chicago's progress in 2021 - The - The Chicago Cusader - January 3rd, 2022
- Good News on the Progress of Alex Caruso - bleachernation.com - January 3rd, 2022
- 2021 Year-In-Review: Progress on Education, Health Care, Good Jobs & More - pa.gov - December 29th, 2021
- Where is NASA's James Webb Space Telescope? Here's how to follow its progress. - Space.com - December 29th, 2021
- US sees possible modest progress in Iran nuclear talks - The Times of Israel - December 29th, 2021
- Poland hopes for progress in talks with Czechs over Turow mine - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Department of Family & Preventive Medicine's Colorectal Screening Project Sees Progress in First Year - UAMS News - December 29th, 2021
- Montenegro: New Government, But No Progress on War Crime Probes - Balkan Insight - December 29th, 2021
- No One Asked Me But... (December 29, 2021) - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Malkin and Rust Progress to Full Contact; Six Players Enter Protocol - NHL.com - December 29th, 2021
- Letter: Resolving pandemic is a work in progress - La Grande Observer - December 29th, 2021
- Progress' most-read stories of 2021: New businesses, construction are some of the most read stories - Claremore Daily Progress - December 29th, 2021
- Davis Mills' progress will allow Texans to focus on other needs in draft - Chron - December 29th, 2021
- Oneida County asks for patience amid slow progress with vaccine incentives - WKTV - December 29th, 2021
- IDOT pleased with 2021 progress - Alton Telegraph - December 29th, 2021
- The progress of third-year corner Amani Oruwariye shows just how close the Detroit Lions are to turning things around | NFL News, Rankings and... - December 29th, 2021
- Palmhurst hosts second annual Toy Giveaway Drive-Thru - Progresstimes - December 29th, 2021
- DOT Secretary touts progress and predicts more to come - West Virginia MetroNews - December 29th, 2021
- A LOOK BACK AT 2021: The News In Review - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- New Smart Bins Show Citys Slow Progress On Composting Goals - Gothamist - December 29th, 2021
- Salon Expands Both Space And Staff - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Delivering Christmas Cheer To Hospital Patients - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- U.S. aviation, telecom industries report progress over 5G safety talks - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Bidens Child-Poverty Progress Isnt Real - The Wall Street Journal - December 29th, 2021
- Spurs making progress but Conte still has a 'big job' on his hands - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- 2021 Saw Progress on Mars, Rise in Space Tourists - VOA Learning English - December 29th, 2021
- Winning recipes in The Progress' 2021 Holiday Cookie Contest - Clearfield Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- UN envoy outlines 'possibilities for progress' in Syria next year - UN News - December 22nd, 2021
- Teven Jenkins is a Work in Progress, But You Gotta Love the Physicality - bleachernation.com - December 22nd, 2021
- The Vaccine Rollout Was a Success. But Events Within and Beyond Bidens Control Stymied Progress. - Kaiser Health News - December 22nd, 2021
- Where Rangers' top prospects stand and how much progress they're making - New York Post - December 22nd, 2021
- White House: People won't have to 'wear a mask all the time' if 'we make progress' fighting COVID - Fox News - December 22nd, 2021
- Carbon colonialism must be challenged if we want to make climate progress - The Conversation UK - December 22nd, 2021
- DA's Office Issues Progress Report for '21 | News | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - December 22nd, 2021
- The lockout slogs on with very little progress so far - Camden Chat - December 22nd, 2021
- Oakland Police Making Progress' in Investigation Into Shooting Death of Kevin Nishita - NBC Bay Area - December 22nd, 2021
- Australia wrote to Naval Group noting progress on submarines a week before contract was cancelled - The Guardian Australia - December 22nd, 2021
- Leaving The McDuffie Progress after a very enjoyable 10 years - McDuffie Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- 25 Years of YES!: Hope, Progress, and Setbacks - YES! Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- NY Jets: 3 ways they can show progress against the Dolphins in Week 15 - NorthJersey.com - December 22nd, 2021