I have a lot to offer someone. Im smart, educated, have a good job, have hobbies and friends and a good sense of humor. But I cant attract anyones attention on a dating site, and never seem to attract anyone romantically in real life either. I dont have any family thats still alive, and friends and hobbies only go so far in filling the gaping hole in my heart. I have tried for years to get myself to lose weight as a starting point, but my overeating is tied directly in with my self-esteem issues and nighttime emptiness and I just dont have the motivation to do it with things as they are.
Please dont tell me to get therapy. Ive been trying for over a year and am on a million wait lists but no one is taking new patients. I just keep thinking that I cant be the only sad-with-potential middle-aged work in progress but where can I meet other people like me? I know theyre not on the dating sites because they arent attracting attention either.
A. Im sorry about the shortage of opportunities for therapy. I am finishing a story about this very issue how empty it can be to recommend therapy when I know most therapists have waitlists miles long because of COVID-19, the state of the world, etc. I will say that there are group therapy options. Ive interviewed a ton of therapists for the story (publishing soon, I swear), and some say that support group work should not be overlooked. Also, your doctor might be able to help find you some specialists to deal with other issues.
But aside from that, lets think about where and how works-in-progress make progress. They switch up their hobbies. They take classes. They play pickle ball. (I dont really understand what pickle ball is, but its been recommended to me by many people over the last six weeks, and all of those people were 50s and older.) You have a very full life right now, but I dont know how much it exposes you to new things and people. Scenery changes are good.
Also, have a friend help with your app profile. Maybe you need to switch up your pics. Sometimes the app experience is better with a support system.
I do wish you werent feeling a gaping hole in your heart because of your singleness. The right romantic relationship could be lovely, but its not everything. Maybe theres a long-term project that can hold your attention and give you real accomplishments to look forward to. That would certainly give you plenty to talk about if you wound up on a date.
You do have to summon the motivation to lose weight and get healthy but not as a means to attract a partner. You need to do these things for you so you feel better. Once you feel better you will have an easier time attracting the kind of person you want.
I know way too much myself about nighttime emptiness. So, dont sit around feeling empty at night. Go to bed early! Then get up in the morning early and go out for a walk before work.
Adopt a dog. Then take it for walks and to dog parks. Youll be exercising and filling that gaping hole in your heart. And you can start talking to people at the dog parks. There are a lot of small things you can do to improve your self-image. And all those little things will start to add up.
^This is a great idea! Id lived in my neighborhood for several years without knowing most of the other people who live in it but then I got a dog and, as a result of walking him, I now know almost everyone.
Work on what you can. Fill that gaping hole with education, volunteering, activity, creativity. Therapy isnt the only way to improve a work in progress.
Hi! I also have a friend with hair issues, a woman. I believe she got a partial wig to help her out it looks natural and really good. That is something you can do which doesnt require a diet, etc., and might make you feel better. I think if you have good self-esteem or at least better self-esteem the rest will follow. Perhaps this motivates you to do other things? I also saw someone say to take a walk not to lose weight but even just to feel better this works. Just go for a 30-minute walk, or longer if you are up to it, look at your surroundings it can take your mind off things for a bit. Good luck!
Go see a doctor, not a therapist. You may need to be tested for a hormonal imbalance. Check your thyroid, too.
No dating tips, except meeting someone will be through activities, not dating services. Have meeting new people as a goal apart from meeting a partner. Not so easy in these pandemic times. You have no control over being a partner, but you do have control over *how you live your life*. It is crucial to step back from the crisis aspect of this. [Deep feelings of hopelessness/anxiety will only chase potential partners away.]
We are all works in progress, maam. OK, to be fair, some of us have made more progress than others. But I can assure you, at least half of us confident, self-assured people that you see around you are bluffing, putting on our brave faces, and trying to get through another day.
Send your own relationship and dating questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Catch new episodes of Meredith Goldsteins Love Letters podcast at loveletters.show or wherever you listen to podcasts. Column and comments are edited and reprinted from boston.com/loveletters.
Follow this link:
- Ripple seeing 'good progress' in SEC case over XRP, outcome expected next year - CNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Rams and Odell Beckham Jr. remain 'a work in progress' - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Could Covid Lead to Progress? - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Hoping for shorter response times, city making progress on new North Tampa fire station - ABC Action News - November 23rd, 2021
- Breaking down the Celtics offensive progress - CelticsBlog - November 23rd, 2021
- England FA chief Mark Bullingham: Qatar making 'strong progress' on human rights issues ahead of World Cup - ESPN - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID and kids: Vaccine progress update - NEWS10 ABC - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite progress, McCarthy argues we were better off 10 months ago - MSNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Where Will Patrick Gaspard Take the Center for American Progress? - The New Republic - November 23rd, 2021
- Halo Infinite Multiplayer Review In Progress - I Need A Weapon - GameSpot - November 23rd, 2021
- Breonna Taylor protesters reflect on a year of progress and pain in Louisville - 89.3 WFPL News Louisville - November 23rd, 2021
- EU's Sefcovic sees progress, hope in Northern Ireland Brexit talks - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Cornfield achieves respectable yield in challenging year - Farm Progress - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite the Sabres' progress, the lack of reliable goaltending stands out again - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- CJ Abrams' progress, free-agent starting pitching options and more: Padres mailbag - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- Firefighters stop forward progress on 16-acre fire in Riverside - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 21st, 2021
- Here's a look at Riot's in-progress fighting game, Project L - PC Gamer - November 21st, 2021
- Evan Mobley making progress in recovery from sprained elbow, but Cleveland Cavaliers wont rush return - cleveland.com - November 21st, 2021
- West Side Rag 20th Precinct's Chief Explains Mixed Progress on Thefts, and Concerns About $2 Bail - westsiderag.com - November 21st, 2021
- Ted Nordhaus on how green activists mislead and hold back progress - The Economist - November 21st, 2021
- After years of rebuilding, the Rangers are finally showing progress - Forever Blueshirts - November 21st, 2021
- Following Through on Metas Civil Rights Audit Progress - Investor Relations - November 21st, 2021
- Guardiola delighted by progress of City youngsters after Everton win - Manchester City FC - November 21st, 2021
- Where Denver's progress stands on lead pipe removal - Axios - November 21st, 2021
- Market predictions, harvest progress, and China-Iowa relations topic of 'Trade Talk' webinar - Successful Farming - November 21st, 2021
- Checking in on Fabian Lysells WHL progress - Stanley Cup of Chowder - November 21st, 2021
- The COVID Pandemic Worsens Food Security Progress in MENA - Al-Bawaba - November 21st, 2021
- Houstons backcourt tandem is still a work in progress - The Dream Shake - November 21st, 2021
- Driving home a point: After a set-up correction Cameron Smith is seeing progress off the tee - usatoday.com - November 21st, 2021
- Noah Syndergaard Reportedly "Making Progress" on a Deal with the Angels (UPDATE: It's Happening) - bleachernation.com - November 21st, 2021
- The Road to 2023: Assessing progress and accelerating delivery on the UN Common Pledges in advance of the next Global Refugee Forum - November 2021 -... - November 21st, 2021
- CSPD says progress being made in construction site theft investigations - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - November 21st, 2021
- New reduced costs of dual HIV/syphilis rapid tests to accelerate progress toward elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis -... - November 21st, 2021
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl Review-In-Progress - GameSpot - November 17th, 2021
- Port of L.A. making 'great progress' in clearing cargo backlog, director says - The Week Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- The U.S. Is Still Blocking Climate Progress - The New Republic - November 17th, 2021
- Paradox says it's "happy" with progress of Bloodlines 2 under new developer - Eurogamer.net - November 17th, 2021
- Transit Making Progress On New Park and Ride - ButlerRadio.com - Butler, PA - butlerradio.com - November 17th, 2021
- The progress (and failures) of COP26, in 3 charts - Grist - November 17th, 2021
- Waters 2021 Sustainability Report Highlights Progress on ESG Initiatives and Response to COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- Column: Progress, Columbia State and my grandfather go hand in hand - Columbia Daily Herald - November 17th, 2021
- ACELYRIN Scores $250 Million to Progress Innovative Antibody Mimetic - BioSpace - November 17th, 2021
- Timberwolves see progress, but can't keep Suns from their ninth win in a row - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 17th, 2021
- Roc the Future highlights progress at 10-year mark - Rochester Beacon - November 17th, 2021
- These researchers are trying to stop misinformation from derailing climate progress - NPR - November 17th, 2021
- Worlds fastest street circuit - What is the current progress of the Jeddah Street Circuit, set to... - The Sportsrush - November 17th, 2021
- Blue River, CDOT make progress on proposed chain-up area in town - Summit Daily News - November 17th, 2021
- Kentucky football: Spoiled football fans? Thats the surest sign yet of progress - Saturday Down South - November 17th, 2021
- Sage Therapeutics Alzheimer's drug likely to progress: regulatory roundup - Clinical Trials Arena - November 17th, 2021
- Don't reverse progress in teaching history honestly - Smithfield Times - Smithfield Times - November 17th, 2021
- Heres the irony of racial progress in Britain its now harder to call out racism - The Guardian - November 17th, 2021
- Kyler Murray is making good progress, has a chance to start next week at Seahawks - NBC Sports - November 17th, 2021
- Bears 1st-and-10: What is George McCaskeys definition of progress? - Chicago Sun-Times - November 17th, 2021
- Can Progress on Diversity Be Union-Made? - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021
- Cattle Rally In Progress, Calf Markets Uneven - Drovers Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Development Of Magnetic Locking Idea Shows Great Progress - Hackaday - November 9th, 2021
- Todays Hot Topic: Wendy Williams Says Shes Making Progress Toward Returning to Her Show - Black Enterprise - November 9th, 2021
- College Football Playoff Rankings: How Much Progress Will San Diego State Make in the Top 25? - MWWire - November 9th, 2021
- Russia not expecting progress at talks with U.S. on visas, diplomats -agencies - Reuters - November 9th, 2021
- Herd men a "work in progress" on offense - Huntington Herald Dispatch - November 9th, 2021
- FDA Clears Pharmaxis Cancer Drug to Progress to Phase 2 Study in Liver Cancer - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2021
- Progress report: What we know about the Penguins through 10 games - PensBurgh - November 9th, 2021
- Cs Showing Progress Adjusting to New Defensive System - Celtics.com - November 9th, 2021
- DOE Scientists Will Give Presentation on Fusion Energy Progress - New Energy Times - November 9th, 2021
- Arcturus Therapeutics Announces Third Quarter 2021 Financial Update and Pipeline Progress - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- NBA pleased with progress in officiating non-basketball moves, sees no evidence of increased physicality - ESPN - November 9th, 2021
- McKinley Bradshaw continues to progress for Cowgirls | University of Wyoming | wyomingnews.com - Wyoming Tribune - November 9th, 2021
- Editorial: An attempt to reverse progress on the Madison River - Bozeman Daily Chronicle - November 9th, 2021
- Scholar Rock Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Business Progress - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- Rail News - Rail supplier news from Wabtec, Sumitomo, Progress Rail, PSI and Alstom (Nov. 9). For Railroad Career Professionals - Progressive Rail... - November 9th, 2021
- United Way making progress toward $500000 goal, but more donations needed - Herald and News - November 9th, 2021
- Wendy Williams Gives Health Update: Im Making Progress - Extra - November 9th, 2021
- New poll shows Texans aren't happy with power grid progress. What has the PUC done so far? - CBS19.tv KYTX - November 9th, 2021
- How (and why) the Jan. 6 committee is making 'real progress' - MSNBC - November 9th, 2021
- UNHCR urges governments to accelerate progress and resolve plight of world's stateless - UNHCR - November 9th, 2021
- Space stock Maxar jumps after Q3 results, as Wall Street welcomes progress on key satellites - CNBC - November 9th, 2021
- A progress report on Walmart and Best Buy's ambitions in health care - STAT - November 9th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccinations: Visualizing a Year of Global Progress and Inequity - Council on Foreign Relations - November 9th, 2021
- Hansen: Irish look to carry defensive strides beyond their taming of Navy's triple option - Notre Dame Insider - November 9th, 2021
- Pentagon warns of China's progress toward nuclear triad - Military Times - November 9th, 2021