As a relative late-comer to the Evil Dead fandom, I had a short but very intense period of excitement prior to the release of Saber Interactives asymmetrical action-horror: Evil Dead The Game. Its a game I have been keen to try for a little while, after falling in love with Sam Raimis direction of the movie trilogy and the development of Ash Williams character from mild-mannered college kid to heroic demon-slaying badass, and I am pleased to share that this game does not disappoint.
Evil Dead The Game really is a treat for fans of the Evil Dead franchise as well as being a treat for general fans of the horror genre or asymmetrical multiplayer games. It ticks all the boxes youd expect from a game like this, and then ticks a few more that you didnt know existed. Its clear that this was a game made by fans, for fans, as much as it was made for a wider audience. Its one of the few asymmetrical multiplayer games that has full single-player support too, in the form of a short Evil Dead The Game Missions list and AI-controlled Survivors and Demons.
But, of course, having AI companions is only part and parcel of what makes this a fantastic offering from Saber Interactive. I had the chance to review Evil Dead The Game on PS5 and, although I do have some concerns about certain aspects of the game, I am finding this to be a wholly enjoyable experience that I can see being a firm favourite for some time.
When I first jumped into the game, the first thing that struck me was just how good everything looked. I know Im playing it on a next-gen console, so the graphics were never going to look that bad, but the game is a feast for the eyes beyond its detailed textures and smooth frame rates.
The in-game artwork is truly exceptional
The in-game artwork is truly exceptional. Whether youre trawling through the menus looking at the games impressive array of unlockable skills and upgrades, or deciding which Mission to tackle next, youll find Ash Williams and his buddies beautifully illustrated. The artwork showcases the Survivors using in-game items, battling Deadites, or facing off against a terrifying Kandarian Demon.
Then, when you come to actually playing Evil Dead The Game, youre met with an intensely atmospheric action-horror experience that evokes the emotions brought about by Sam Raimis movies with unexpected accuracy. Its overly graphic, in a campy way, with its intense blood-splattering finishing moves and shotgun blasts that quite-literally blow the face off of the Deadites youre up against. And, more importantly, its isolating, despite the fact that youre playing within a team of four, with its sparsely-lit open spaces and impressive weather effects.
This feeling of isolation is only intensified by the absence of enemies from the games minimap and the interesting Fear system.
When youre running around in the darkness as Ash or one of his buddies you need to keep an eye on your Fear level. This increases whenever youre alone, under attack, or in the darkness adding an important survival game-like aspect to this already action-packed experience. There are ways for you to reduce this level, mainly by standing in the light and taking a breather, but Evil Dead The Game doesnt make that easy.
So, it ultimately feels inevitable that youll max out your Fear level at some point during a game sometimes, you just cant find the Matchsticks you need to start a campfire.
When your Survivor is scared, its like having tunnel vision
If youre unlucky enough to have your Fear level climb above your characters threshold, then youre in for a bad time but also the most exciting time when it comes to playing as a Survivor. When your Survivor is scared, its like having tunnel vision. Your in-game sound and the edge of your screen are both distorted, making it even harder to avoid attacks from the Deadites and Demons around you, and you quickly find yourself frantically running for your life. Like with all horror games, the thrill of the chase is the best part.
Without this mechanic, which might seem like a superficial addition to the game at first, I fear Evil Dead The Game would be more hack-and-slash than horror. It helps to keep you on your toes and forces you to think much more strategically about how you use the limited loot items you have. Healing items and Matchsticks used for lighting fires are few and far between in this game; you dont want to waste what little you have when youre fighting against a Kandarian Demon.
I have spent most of my time playing Evil Dead The Game, so far, as a Survivor. However, I did dip my toes into the horrors of the Necronomicon to play as a Demon a few times and thats a wholly different experience.
You really do feel like youre in a Sam Raimi movie in the best possible way
When youre playing as a Demon, youre primarily orchestrating the Army of Darkness in Spirit Form. The erratic movement controls do take a bit of getting used to compared to controlling a Survivor, but when youre playing in this mode you really do feel like youre in a Sam Raimi movie in the best possible way.
I will say that the lack of sensitivity options, and accessibility options as a whole, are troubling if youre struggling to play, there arent any concessions available. I hope these are features that will be available in the future, but it doesnt quite make sense why theyre not available now.
That being said, once you get your head around the controls, playing as a Demon is a fantastic and much more rewarding experience than other asymmetrical multiplayer games, like Dead By Daylight and Predator Hunting Grounds. Why? Because youre not just playing as one Kandarian Demon, really; youre playing as the whole Army of Darkness.
Boss units are by-far the most exciting way to play as a Demon
Using Infernal Energy, you can possess roaming Deadites and attack the Survivors yourself, summon powerful elite enemies to further disrupt their attempts at banishing you, and even set traps in supply boxes and evil trees (something which always takes you by surprise as a Survivor.)
With enough of this energy, you can even summon a boss unit, which takes the form of whichever Kandarian Demon youre playing as be that Evil Ash, Henrietta, or Eligos. These boss units are by-far the most exciting way to play as a Demon and, in the right hands, make short work of Ash Williams and his friends. With Evil Dead The Game, you get all the fun of playing as a killer in Dead By Daylight and the enjoyment of strategically dismantling your opponents plan of attack with well-placed traps and proximity-based portals (that, of course, spawn more enemies).
Whether youre playing with your friends against the forces of evil, or taking control of those forces of evil yourself, youre in for a fun time with Evil Dead The Game. I havent played enough of it yet to talk about the depth of its upgrade system and the decent variety of weaponry on offer, but my first impressions are that this game could, with the right post-launch support, be around for a long time. Its action-packed, frightening when it needs to be, and full of charm. Of course, the gameplay loop could get repetitive as with any asymmetrical multiplayer game but I dont see that happening for quite some time.
Here is the original post:
- Travis Etiennes recovery and progress is encouraging - Big Cat Country - June 11th, 2022
- Motocross accelerates through 50 years of progress - The Columbian - June 11th, 2022
- Sweden seeks constructive progress with Turkey over NATO bid - Reuters - June 11th, 2022
- What progress has New Mexico made on education reform? - KOB 4 - June 11th, 2022
- Andy Reid gives progress report on Chiefs second-year WR Josh Gordon - Chiefs Wire - June 11th, 2022
- McKee administration says there has been progress in Tidewater Landing talks - The Boston Globe - June 11th, 2022
- Ministers from around the world agree to speed up energy efficiency progress to help tackle global energy crisis - News - IEA - June 11th, 2022
- Revamped Falcons' offense is a work in progress - The Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 11th, 2022
- Statement - Government of Canada and airport and airline partners making progress on reducing traveller wait times at Canada's major airports - Yahoo... - June 11th, 2022
- From the ruins, festive progress - The Suffolk News-Herald - Suffolk News-Herald - June 11th, 2022
- Entain Encouraged By Progress With A.I. Platform On Responsible Gaming As CEO Celebrates 500th Day At Helm - Forbes - June 11th, 2022
- Forward progress reportedly stopped on vegetation fire near Hopland - Ukiah Daily Journal - June 11th, 2022
- Gauging the Progress in Building New Bears Offense - Yardbarker - June 11th, 2022
- 'On the cusp of greatness': Rowan EDC recaps progress, looks toward future at annual meeting - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - June 11th, 2022
- Mondaire Jones says LGBTQ progress at risk of being rolled back - The Hill - June 11th, 2022
- COMEA making progress on low barrier shelter | Local News | wyomingnews.com - Wyoming Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- Will Warzone Progress Carry Over To Warzone 2? - Looper - June 11th, 2022
- Significant Progress Being Made in Evidence Collection of ISIL/Da'esh's Crimes in Iraq, Investigating Team Head Tells Security Council | Meetings... - June 11th, 2022
- Pandemic Learning: Less Academic Progress Overall, Student and Teacher Strain, and Implications for the Future - Government Accountability Office - June 9th, 2022
- Minneapolis violence interrupters report on 1st year of progress - KSTP - June 9th, 2022
- Nestl driving progress on dairy emissions: 'We believe in the goodness of milk' - FoodNavigator-USA.com - June 9th, 2022
- ASCO 2022: Gilead's tough weekend, bispecific progress and 'gamma delta' cell therapy - BioPharma Dive - June 9th, 2022
- For the first time in the city's history, Green Bay raises the Progress flag for Pride Month - Green Bay Press Gazette - June 9th, 2022
- Bill Belichick pleased with progress of 2021 draft class with Tre Nixon shining at minicamp - Patriots Wire - June 9th, 2022
- Meeting of Ministers from around the world can turbocharge energy efficiency progress to combat energy crisis and meet climate goals - News - IEA - June 9th, 2022
- 'Mixed' progress on food safety in Australia in past year - Food Safety News - June 9th, 2022
- Progress Through Partnerships: The Bumble Bee Seafood Company Releases its 2022 Seafood Future Report - Business Wire - June 9th, 2022
- Zoetis Releases 2021 Sustainability Update to Share Progress in Championing Healthier Communities, Animals and the Planet - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2022
- Quinton Byfields progress, and the L.A. Kings 2022-23 defense: Mailbag, part 2 - The Athletic - June 9th, 2022
- Legacy Drive traffic switches, Panther Creek Parkway progress and more Frisco transportation updates - Community Impact Newspaper - June 9th, 2022
- Yamaha Rightwaters Reports Annual Initiative Progress - Business Wire - June 9th, 2022
- What Sheryl Sandbergs Exit Reveals About Womens Progress in Tech - The New York Times - June 9th, 2022
- Peacock's Queer As Folk Reboot Isn't For Everyone, and That's Progress - PRIMETIMER - June 9th, 2022
- Management of troubled Serenity Towers returns to court with progress report - FOX13 Memphis - June 9th, 2022
- HP Inc. Reports Progress Toward Its 2030 Sustainable Impact Goals, Including Achieving a Significant Reduction in Single-Use Plastic Packaging - Yahoo... - June 9th, 2022
- Severe Asthma Market to Progress Upto USD 7 Billion by 2032 | DelveInsight - PR Newswire - June 9th, 2022
- CANADA CONFIRMS DAVIE'S PROGRESS TO BECOME THE THIRD NATIONAL SHIPBUILDING STRATEGY PARTNER - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 9th, 2022
- Secretary Raimondo Raises Progress Pride Flag and Reaffirms Commerce's Commitment to Building a More Inclusive Society for All Americans - US... - June 9th, 2022
- Wife says Fettermans doctors really impressed with his progress - The Hill - June 9th, 2022
- Harvard police chief recalls his first year of pandemic, progress - Harvard Gazette - May 20th, 2022
- Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Managers Report Progress, Brace for Return of Winds - Santa Fe Reporter - May 20th, 2022
- Community progress in Maryvale based on coming together, hearing people, says former ASU program head - ASU News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Opinion | American Progress Is No Longer a Sure Thing - The New York Times - May 20th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - Greeley Tribune - May 20th, 2022
- Apple shows AR/VR headset to its board in sign of progress on project - AdAge.com - May 20th, 2022
- MoDOT gives behind the scenes of progress on Rocheport bridge - ABC17News.com - May 20th, 2022
- Firefighters make progress on control lines ahead of the Bear Trap Fire - nmfireinfo.com - May 20th, 2022
- Community development plan: Fort Hood Family Housing building a bridge to progress - United States Army - May 20th, 2022
- Hard Work and Progress Pave Hawks' Road to State - KCII Radio - May 20th, 2022
- Bernd Rodler: Real Innovation And Progress Happen Beyond Big Tech (Part II) Interview - Eurasia Review - May 20th, 2022
- Bristol Myers Squibb Data at ASCO and EHA 2022 Highlight Progress in Transforming Treatment for Patients with Cancer and Blood Disorders - Business... - May 20th, 2022
- Work in Progress: May 19, 2022 The Sopris Sun - soprissun.com - May 20th, 2022
- Viola Davis Reveals a Director Called Her by His Maids Name, Speaks Out on Hollywoods Slow Race Progress (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - May 20th, 2022
- USDOT: Nation seeing signs of progress in supply chain as historic level of goods flow in - TheTrucker.com - The Trucker - May 20th, 2022
- Top CTV Buyers 'frustrated' By Slow Progress Of Ad Measurement Projects - The Drum - May 20th, 2022
- Fire crews stop forward progress of Evita Fire, evacuation warning downgraded - Action News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Third Round Bound Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk: Twitter deal cannot progress without proof on bot numbers - The Guardian - May 17th, 2022
- Accelerate sustainability progress and business growth with Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability starting June 1 - The Official Microsoft Blog -... - May 17th, 2022
- Report finds little progress reducing violence against Native American women - MPR News - May 17th, 2022
- During Infrastructure Week, Mayor Bowser Highlights Progress in Expanding Access to Solar Projects Through DC Green Bank | mayormb - Executive Office... - May 17th, 2022
- Review highlights progress of the Greenfield school year - The Highland County Press - May 17th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - BuffZone - May 17th, 2022
- How Should Cybersecurity Leaders Report on Their Progress? - BizTech Magazine - May 17th, 2022
- With Inflation, California Worries About Progress On Poverty - LAist - May 17th, 2022
- Palmhurst to hold special mayoral election Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 17th, 2022
- As It Were: Mounds didn't stand in way of Columbus' progress - The Columbus Dispatch - May 17th, 2022
- Major progress made, alternatives offered to help ease baby formula shortage - KITV Honolulu - May 17th, 2022
- Progress Releases MOVEit 2022 with Advanced Capabilities to Secure and Simplify File Transfer Across Systems | Progress Software Corporation -... - May 17th, 2022
- Calling for rapid progress on the formation of a stable government in Iraq: UK Statement at the UN Security Council - GOV.UK - May 17th, 2022
- Mayor declares it Affordable Housing Week to celebrate progress made and stress need for additional investment - LouisvilleKy.gov - May 17th, 2022
- Employee trust4 ways to maintain progress made during the pandemic - AdAge.com - May 17th, 2022
- UN advisor on Libya pleased with encouraging progress in talks between HoR and HSC - Egypt Today - May 17th, 2022
- The lunar eclipse in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- Assault victim taken to the hospital with CPR in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- More progress in fight to contain northern Michigan wildfire - Detroit News - May 17th, 2022
- UPDATE: Crews make progress on High Park Fire over the weekend - FOX21News.com - May 17th, 2022
- Firefighters stop forward progress of wind-driven fire near Porter Ranch - KTLA Los Angeles - May 15th, 2022
- The Messy Progress on Data Privacy - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Work in Progress: Alma baseball off to 8-8 start - The Morning Sun - May 15th, 2022