If it isn't broken, don't fix it. We say this about how we're currently doing things and the roles other people have in our firms. For example, if you've been preparing a certain client's tax return for eight years, you're excellent at it. You know just what adjustments you need to make and how to handle that tricky transaction. So why let it go to someone else who doesn't know the client's situation as well as you?
Because it's necessary if you want drive growth for yourself, your team and ultimately your firm.
If you've mastered all the components of your role, your workday runs like a tight ship, with every piece moving in clockwork fashion. If that feels like a win, you're measuring excellence on a distorted scale.
When you know how to do something perfectly, there's no challenge left. And when there's no challenge, there's no sense of reward. You're settling for being good at your job instead of stretching yourself to achieve the next level.
Any partners reading this might think it doesn't apply to them. After all, they're a partner in the firm they've achieved the highest level! But time and again, we see partners still preparing certain tax returns, handling particular clients, or writing detailed review notes for staff members. Partners doing that type of work don't contribute their highest value to the firm.
Instead of preparing returns and writing review notes, what if you spent that time training and mentoring your team? Or developing new business for the firm?
If you're thinking to yourself that training, mentoring and business development aren't really part of your skillset, they should be. Excellence is getting in the way of your growth as a leader.
Change is difficult. If you're doing something well, it can be hard to turn it over to someone else that might take longer and make mistakes. But it's important for you and the other person to make that change.
I challenge you to think about what you're excellent at that's getting in the way of growth. This can be hard for people to think about, so consider keeping a notebook nearby or a document on your desktop and for one week, take note of how you spend your time.
Undoubtedly, many of the tasks you handle align with your goals and the firm's goals. But seek out the areas you need to let go of. What can be delegated, outsourced, automated, or perhaps even scrapped altogether in order for you to grow?
Identifying those areas and making the change will be difficult, but the benefits will pay off in ways you never imagined possible, both personally and professionally.
Arianna Campbell is a shareholder and consultant with Boomer Consulting, Inc.
Continue reading here:
- Harvard police chief recalls his first year of pandemic, progress - Harvard Gazette - May 20th, 2022
- Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Managers Report Progress, Brace for Return of Winds - Santa Fe Reporter - May 20th, 2022
- Community progress in Maryvale based on coming together, hearing people, says former ASU program head - ASU News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Opinion | American Progress Is No Longer a Sure Thing - The New York Times - May 20th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - Greeley Tribune - May 20th, 2022
- Apple shows AR/VR headset to its board in sign of progress on project - AdAge.com - May 20th, 2022
- MoDOT gives behind the scenes of progress on Rocheport bridge - ABC17News.com - May 20th, 2022
- Firefighters make progress on control lines ahead of the Bear Trap Fire - nmfireinfo.com - May 20th, 2022
- Community development plan: Fort Hood Family Housing building a bridge to progress - United States Army - May 20th, 2022
- Hard Work and Progress Pave Hawks' Road to State - KCII Radio - May 20th, 2022
- Bernd Rodler: Real Innovation And Progress Happen Beyond Big Tech (Part II) Interview - Eurasia Review - May 20th, 2022
- Bristol Myers Squibb Data at ASCO and EHA 2022 Highlight Progress in Transforming Treatment for Patients with Cancer and Blood Disorders - Business... - May 20th, 2022
- Work in Progress: May 19, 2022 The Sopris Sun - soprissun.com - May 20th, 2022
- Viola Davis Reveals a Director Called Her by His Maids Name, Speaks Out on Hollywoods Slow Race Progress (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - May 20th, 2022
- USDOT: Nation seeing signs of progress in supply chain as historic level of goods flow in - TheTrucker.com - The Trucker - May 20th, 2022
- Top CTV Buyers 'frustrated' By Slow Progress Of Ad Measurement Projects - The Drum - May 20th, 2022
- Fire crews stop forward progress of Evita Fire, evacuation warning downgraded - Action News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Third Round Bound Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk: Twitter deal cannot progress without proof on bot numbers - The Guardian - May 17th, 2022
- Accelerate sustainability progress and business growth with Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability starting June 1 - The Official Microsoft Blog -... - May 17th, 2022
- Report finds little progress reducing violence against Native American women - MPR News - May 17th, 2022
- During Infrastructure Week, Mayor Bowser Highlights Progress in Expanding Access to Solar Projects Through DC Green Bank | mayormb - Executive Office... - May 17th, 2022
- Review highlights progress of the Greenfield school year - The Highland County Press - May 17th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - BuffZone - May 17th, 2022
- How Should Cybersecurity Leaders Report on Their Progress? - BizTech Magazine - May 17th, 2022
- With Inflation, California Worries About Progress On Poverty - LAist - May 17th, 2022
- Palmhurst to hold special mayoral election Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 17th, 2022
- As It Were: Mounds didn't stand in way of Columbus' progress - The Columbus Dispatch - May 17th, 2022
- Major progress made, alternatives offered to help ease baby formula shortage - KITV Honolulu - May 17th, 2022
- Progress Releases MOVEit 2022 with Advanced Capabilities to Secure and Simplify File Transfer Across Systems | Progress Software Corporation -... - May 17th, 2022
- Calling for rapid progress on the formation of a stable government in Iraq: UK Statement at the UN Security Council - GOV.UK - May 17th, 2022
- Mayor declares it Affordable Housing Week to celebrate progress made and stress need for additional investment - LouisvilleKy.gov - May 17th, 2022
- Employee trust4 ways to maintain progress made during the pandemic - AdAge.com - May 17th, 2022
- UN advisor on Libya pleased with encouraging progress in talks between HoR and HSC - Egypt Today - May 17th, 2022
- The lunar eclipse in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- Assault victim taken to the hospital with CPR in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- More progress in fight to contain northern Michigan wildfire - Detroit News - May 17th, 2022
- UPDATE: Crews make progress on High Park Fire over the weekend - FOX21News.com - May 17th, 2022
- Firefighters stop forward progress of wind-driven fire near Porter Ranch - KTLA Los Angeles - May 15th, 2022
- The Messy Progress on Data Privacy - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Work in Progress: Alma baseball off to 8-8 start - The Morning Sun - May 15th, 2022
- Storm chances remain high as we progress through the weekend - FOX 59 Indianapolis - May 15th, 2022
- Cash, coal, cars and trees: what progress has been made since Cop26? - The Guardian - May 15th, 2022
- Progress to Participate in the 17th Annual Needham Technology & Media Conference - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2022
- New report shows progress and missed opportunities in the control of NCDs at the national level - World Health Organization - May 15th, 2022
- Biden: Progress on baby formula supply coming very shortly - The Hill - May 15th, 2022
- Springbank homeowner comes across break-and-enter in progress: RCMP - Airdrie Today - May 15th, 2022
- Tompkins confident in progress of $50 million street program - Herald-Banner - May 15th, 2022
- 2022 Projects for Progress awardees continue working with community | Penn Today - Penn Today - May 15th, 2022
- Otter Tail Power Company Making Great Progress Many in Castlewood Will Have Power Soon - mykxlg.com - May 15th, 2022
- UAE saw surge in progress in these six areas during Sheikh Khalifa's years in office - The National - May 15th, 2022
- 3 Questions: Daniel Anderson on the progress of mRNA vaccines - MIT News - May 13th, 2022
- Construction Progress on the New Crystal Police Station - CCX Media - ccxmedia.org - May 13th, 2022
- Progress Releases MOVEit 2022 with Advanced Capabilities to Secure and Simplify File Transfer Across Systems - GlobeNewswire - May 13th, 2022
- MIT Climate Plug-In highlights first year of progress on MIT's climate plan - MIT News - May 13th, 2022
- Mayor Dyer discusses progress and upcoming projects at State of the City - YourCentralValley.com - May 13th, 2022
- Michigan Recycling Coalition EGLE celebrate progress state has made over 40 years - Michigan (.gov) - May 13th, 2022
- Intel 2021 diversity and inclusion report shows small progress amid pandemic - VentureBeat - May 13th, 2022
- Readout of Meeting with Partnership for Central America to Drive Progress on Vice President Harris's Call to Action - The White House - May 13th, 2022
- Surescripts webinar highlights: Interoperability progress depends on how you look at it - MedCity News - May 13th, 2022
- Caterpillar 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Report Highlights Progress with Growth in Diverse Populations - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2022
- Target's Progress on Investing $2 Billion in Black-owned Businesses - Target Corporate - May 13th, 2022
- Evil Dead The Game review in progress hail to the king, baby - The Loadout - May 13th, 2022
- PAYCORE MINERALS DRILLING PROGRESS AND COMPANY TO PARTICIPATE IN CANACCORD GLOBAL METALS & MINING CONFERENCE - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2022
- Pirates advance as seniors shine - The Progress - mvprogress - May 13th, 2022
- Riley Herbst showing progress with Stewart-Haas: Momentum is everything - NASCAR - May 13th, 2022
- New Images Reveal Construction Progress of ODA's POST Rotterdam - ArchDaily - May 13th, 2022
- Decades of progress and promises squandered as rights begin to disappear - Reno Gazette Journal - May 13th, 2022
- Nissan demonstrates strong progress with Nissan NEXT transformation plan - Automotive World - May 13th, 2022
- Wireless LAN Development Progress Analysis Report 2022: Analyze Recently Introduced or Still in Development Advanced Wi-Fi Technologies -... - May 13th, 2022
- Westfield Sees Progress on Several Fronts - Business West - May 13th, 2022
- LUNA, UST re-listed on Binance there is progress - CryptoSlate - May 13th, 2022
- A Great Sign of Progress - The Wave - The Wave, Rockaway's Newspaper Since 1893 - May 13th, 2022
- Russia's Progress in Donbas Means Ukraine Likely Won't Win the War - 19FortyFive - May 13th, 2022
- Swinney gives post-spring injury progress report - The Clemson Insider - May 13th, 2022
- Revenge Of The Mummy's Refurbishment Has Made Some Progress, But There's Still No Update On Brendan Fraser's Fate In The Attraction - CinemaBlend - May 3rd, 2022
- Corn and soybean planting progress still behind five-year averages - Successful Farming - May 3rd, 2022
- Want to Get Involved in Burbank's Decision Making Progress? - MyBurbank.com - May 3rd, 2022
- Wolves realize progress from 1st-round exit not a given - NBA.com - May 3rd, 2022
- Novak Djokovic Hopeful Of Further Progress In Madrid - ATP Tour - May 3rd, 2022