Sheila Leslie| Reno Gazette Journal
This opinion column was submitted byRGJ columnist Sheila Leslie, who served in the Nevada Legislature from 1998 to 2012.
In 1973, I graduated from high school in California and the world seemed full of promise and opportunity. The Vietnam War was winding down and the compulsory draft had just ended. Title IX was being implemented and our girls basketball team would no longer be forced to practice outside in the fog on rough pitted asphalt while the boys used the cozy warm gym. And the Roe v. Wade decision meant women finally had autonomy over their own bodies. After graduation, most of us who grew up together in our one high school town would scatter across the state, choosing between free community colleges and an array of heavily subsidized, high-quality state colleges and universities.
Fast-forward 49 years to so many promises squandered. Our children cant afford to buy a house in a good neighborhood and are drowning in college debt. Our grandchildren are living on a doomed planet thanks to our greed and hubris about climate change. The separation of church and state is quickly disintegrating as politicians and jurists of a primarily white Christian religion push their values and views into politics, deciding for the rest of us if transgender children should have medical care, immigrant children should have education, and women should have full access to contraceptives and abortion.
These days, Republican candidates rail about taking back our country by promising to do even more to force their version of morality onto the rest of us. Theyre celebrating their likely abortion victory by talking about making criminals out of women who cross a state border to seek abortion in a friendlier state or try to access abortion drugs via the mail. Politicians in Mississippi and Louisiana are considering statutes to give constitutional rights to a person from the moment of fertilization, effectively denying women access to emergency contraception or even an IUD.
Some constitutional scholars and activists are warning that marriage equality, LGBTQ+ rightsand interracial marriage will be on the chopping block next and are practically begging us to wake up and smell the coffee as if the repeal of Roe v. Wade were not enough to activate us.
As the country reeled from the leak of the draft opinion by conservative justices last week, it was hard not to yell back at the TV when Chief Justice John Roberts seemed more worried about who leaked the draft opinion than about taking away a fundamental health care right from every woman in the country. He called the leaking of the confidential draft opinion a betrayal, oblivious to the much larger betrayal of denying a woman the right to make a major medical decision with her doctor, in private. Even more outlandish was Justice Clarence Thomas whining about the declining respect for institutions and the rule of law given he and his wifes well-documented unethical behavior, most recently around trying to overturn a valid election and supporting the Jan.6insurrection. Do these justices think were stupid out here beyond the Beltway and cant see what is happening?
Meanwhile, pro-life groups rejoiced in their presumed victory while noting their work would actually be increasing as there will be many unprepared pregnant women who will need help to carry their unwanted babies to term. These groups may be able to provide prenatal vitamins and even medical care during pregnancy, but how likely is it theyll be able to help these women access basic needs after the baby is born, like affordable housing and quality child care or a job with a living wage? If only they were concerned about life after birth instead of being obsessed with the moment of conception.
Nevada owes a big debt of gratitude to the women and men who were behind the brilliant design of Ballot Question 7 in 1990, which confirmed an abortion rights statute with an almost two-thirdsvote. That law can be changed only by another vote of the people and is the primary reason abortion isnt relitigated constantly in our state Legislature.
But after nearly 50years of insisting reproductive rights should be left to the states, the hypocrisy of the Republican Party is now on full display with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnells announcement that a national ban on abortion may be coming if Republicans regain control of Congress. And the same people who protest lifesaving vaccine mandates as a body autonomy issue seem perfectly content to impose abortion bans on women with little or no regard to circumstances such as rape or incest or an individuals right to privacy when it comes to personal medical decisions. And a COVIDvaccine that protects the community at large as well as the individual is hardly the same as a nine-month pregnancy and potential lifetime commitment to a child.
As a young adult in the early '70s, I took so much of the post-'60s progress for granted. Now, 49 years later, I find it horrifying that my granddaughter will likely have fewer rights than women of my generation.
You can refuse to vote and choose to silently stand by while our democracy collapses and our basic rights evaporate. Thats going to happen unless we make sure people like Nevadas U.S. SenatorCatherine Cortez Mastoare elected. Its clear that both of the leading Republicans in the race to replace her will not support a womans right to choose.
Or we can register legions of young women and men who want their rights back and take away the Republicans political power, although even that might not be enough in the short term thanks to the Supreme Court justices theyve managed to seat.
Either way, the country should get ready for tempestuous times ahead.
RGJ columnist Sheila Leslieserved in the Nevada Legislature from 1998 to 2012.
Have your say: How to submit an opinion column or letter to the editor
Originally posted here:
- Travis Etiennes recovery and progress is encouraging - Big Cat Country - June 11th, 2022
- Motocross accelerates through 50 years of progress - The Columbian - June 11th, 2022
- Sweden seeks constructive progress with Turkey over NATO bid - Reuters - June 11th, 2022
- What progress has New Mexico made on education reform? - KOB 4 - June 11th, 2022
- Andy Reid gives progress report on Chiefs second-year WR Josh Gordon - Chiefs Wire - June 11th, 2022
- McKee administration says there has been progress in Tidewater Landing talks - The Boston Globe - June 11th, 2022
- Ministers from around the world agree to speed up energy efficiency progress to help tackle global energy crisis - News - IEA - June 11th, 2022
- Revamped Falcons' offense is a work in progress - The Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 11th, 2022
- Statement - Government of Canada and airport and airline partners making progress on reducing traveller wait times at Canada's major airports - Yahoo... - June 11th, 2022
- From the ruins, festive progress - The Suffolk News-Herald - Suffolk News-Herald - June 11th, 2022
- Entain Encouraged By Progress With A.I. Platform On Responsible Gaming As CEO Celebrates 500th Day At Helm - Forbes - June 11th, 2022
- Forward progress reportedly stopped on vegetation fire near Hopland - Ukiah Daily Journal - June 11th, 2022
- Gauging the Progress in Building New Bears Offense - Yardbarker - June 11th, 2022
- 'On the cusp of greatness': Rowan EDC recaps progress, looks toward future at annual meeting - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - June 11th, 2022
- Mondaire Jones says LGBTQ progress at risk of being rolled back - The Hill - June 11th, 2022
- COMEA making progress on low barrier shelter | Local News | wyomingnews.com - Wyoming Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- Will Warzone Progress Carry Over To Warzone 2? - Looper - June 11th, 2022
- Significant Progress Being Made in Evidence Collection of ISIL/Da'esh's Crimes in Iraq, Investigating Team Head Tells Security Council | Meetings... - June 11th, 2022
- Pandemic Learning: Less Academic Progress Overall, Student and Teacher Strain, and Implications for the Future - Government Accountability Office - June 9th, 2022
- Minneapolis violence interrupters report on 1st year of progress - KSTP - June 9th, 2022
- Nestl driving progress on dairy emissions: 'We believe in the goodness of milk' - FoodNavigator-USA.com - June 9th, 2022
- ASCO 2022: Gilead's tough weekend, bispecific progress and 'gamma delta' cell therapy - BioPharma Dive - June 9th, 2022
- For the first time in the city's history, Green Bay raises the Progress flag for Pride Month - Green Bay Press Gazette - June 9th, 2022
- Bill Belichick pleased with progress of 2021 draft class with Tre Nixon shining at minicamp - Patriots Wire - June 9th, 2022
- Meeting of Ministers from around the world can turbocharge energy efficiency progress to combat energy crisis and meet climate goals - News - IEA - June 9th, 2022
- 'Mixed' progress on food safety in Australia in past year - Food Safety News - June 9th, 2022
- Progress Through Partnerships: The Bumble Bee Seafood Company Releases its 2022 Seafood Future Report - Business Wire - June 9th, 2022
- Zoetis Releases 2021 Sustainability Update to Share Progress in Championing Healthier Communities, Animals and the Planet - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2022
- Quinton Byfields progress, and the L.A. Kings 2022-23 defense: Mailbag, part 2 - The Athletic - June 9th, 2022
- Legacy Drive traffic switches, Panther Creek Parkway progress and more Frisco transportation updates - Community Impact Newspaper - June 9th, 2022
- Yamaha Rightwaters Reports Annual Initiative Progress - Business Wire - June 9th, 2022
- What Sheryl Sandbergs Exit Reveals About Womens Progress in Tech - The New York Times - June 9th, 2022
- Peacock's Queer As Folk Reboot Isn't For Everyone, and That's Progress - PRIMETIMER - June 9th, 2022
- Management of troubled Serenity Towers returns to court with progress report - FOX13 Memphis - June 9th, 2022
- HP Inc. Reports Progress Toward Its 2030 Sustainable Impact Goals, Including Achieving a Significant Reduction in Single-Use Plastic Packaging - Yahoo... - June 9th, 2022
- Severe Asthma Market to Progress Upto USD 7 Billion by 2032 | DelveInsight - PR Newswire - June 9th, 2022
- CANADA CONFIRMS DAVIE'S PROGRESS TO BECOME THE THIRD NATIONAL SHIPBUILDING STRATEGY PARTNER - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 9th, 2022
- Secretary Raimondo Raises Progress Pride Flag and Reaffirms Commerce's Commitment to Building a More Inclusive Society for All Americans - US... - June 9th, 2022
- Wife says Fettermans doctors really impressed with his progress - The Hill - June 9th, 2022
- Harvard police chief recalls his first year of pandemic, progress - Harvard Gazette - May 20th, 2022
- Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Managers Report Progress, Brace for Return of Winds - Santa Fe Reporter - May 20th, 2022
- Community progress in Maryvale based on coming together, hearing people, says former ASU program head - ASU News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Opinion | American Progress Is No Longer a Sure Thing - The New York Times - May 20th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - Greeley Tribune - May 20th, 2022
- Apple shows AR/VR headset to its board in sign of progress on project - AdAge.com - May 20th, 2022
- MoDOT gives behind the scenes of progress on Rocheport bridge - ABC17News.com - May 20th, 2022
- Firefighters make progress on control lines ahead of the Bear Trap Fire - nmfireinfo.com - May 20th, 2022
- Community development plan: Fort Hood Family Housing building a bridge to progress - United States Army - May 20th, 2022
- Hard Work and Progress Pave Hawks' Road to State - KCII Radio - May 20th, 2022
- Bernd Rodler: Real Innovation And Progress Happen Beyond Big Tech (Part II) Interview - Eurasia Review - May 20th, 2022
- Bristol Myers Squibb Data at ASCO and EHA 2022 Highlight Progress in Transforming Treatment for Patients with Cancer and Blood Disorders - Business... - May 20th, 2022
- Work in Progress: May 19, 2022 The Sopris Sun - soprissun.com - May 20th, 2022
- Viola Davis Reveals a Director Called Her by His Maids Name, Speaks Out on Hollywoods Slow Race Progress (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - May 20th, 2022
- USDOT: Nation seeing signs of progress in supply chain as historic level of goods flow in - TheTrucker.com - The Trucker - May 20th, 2022
- Top CTV Buyers 'frustrated' By Slow Progress Of Ad Measurement Projects - The Drum - May 20th, 2022
- Fire crews stop forward progress of Evita Fire, evacuation warning downgraded - Action News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Third Round Bound Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk: Twitter deal cannot progress without proof on bot numbers - The Guardian - May 17th, 2022
- Accelerate sustainability progress and business growth with Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability starting June 1 - The Official Microsoft Blog -... - May 17th, 2022
- Report finds little progress reducing violence against Native American women - MPR News - May 17th, 2022
- During Infrastructure Week, Mayor Bowser Highlights Progress in Expanding Access to Solar Projects Through DC Green Bank | mayormb - Executive Office... - May 17th, 2022
- Review highlights progress of the Greenfield school year - The Highland County Press - May 17th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - BuffZone - May 17th, 2022
- How Should Cybersecurity Leaders Report on Their Progress? - BizTech Magazine - May 17th, 2022
- With Inflation, California Worries About Progress On Poverty - LAist - May 17th, 2022
- Palmhurst to hold special mayoral election Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 17th, 2022
- As It Were: Mounds didn't stand in way of Columbus' progress - The Columbus Dispatch - May 17th, 2022
- Major progress made, alternatives offered to help ease baby formula shortage - KITV Honolulu - May 17th, 2022
- Progress Releases MOVEit 2022 with Advanced Capabilities to Secure and Simplify File Transfer Across Systems | Progress Software Corporation -... - May 17th, 2022
- Calling for rapid progress on the formation of a stable government in Iraq: UK Statement at the UN Security Council - GOV.UK - May 17th, 2022
- Mayor declares it Affordable Housing Week to celebrate progress made and stress need for additional investment - LouisvilleKy.gov - May 17th, 2022
- Employee trust4 ways to maintain progress made during the pandemic - AdAge.com - May 17th, 2022
- UN advisor on Libya pleased with encouraging progress in talks between HoR and HSC - Egypt Today - May 17th, 2022
- The lunar eclipse in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- Assault victim taken to the hospital with CPR in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- More progress in fight to contain northern Michigan wildfire - Detroit News - May 17th, 2022
- UPDATE: Crews make progress on High Park Fire over the weekend - FOX21News.com - May 17th, 2022
- Firefighters stop forward progress of wind-driven fire near Porter Ranch - KTLA Los Angeles - May 15th, 2022
- The Messy Progress on Data Privacy - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Work in Progress: Alma baseball off to 8-8 start - The Morning Sun - May 15th, 2022