ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10)- Its been a full two weeks since the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Pfizers COVID-19 vaccine for use in kids ages 5-11. Since the state started reporting the number of kids who have received their first dose last week, there hasnt been a significant change in the number of kids vaccinated.
On November 17, 9% of the 1.6 million kids in New York between ages 5-11 had the first shot in their COVID vaccination series. On November 22, 13% (205,464) were reportedly vaccinated, according to the New York State Department of Health (DOH).
Locally, Saratoga (23.3%) and Albany (20.2%) Counties are still at the top for most kids vaccinated. Warren County had been in third place last week but Columbia County moved into third place doubling the percentage of kids vaccinated from 8.5% on November 17 to 17.2% on November 22.
We are proud of our parents in Saratoga County who have taken the first step in getting their children vaccinated, as vaccination remains a safe and effective tool in the fight against COVID-19. We will continue to provide pediatric vaccines at county-run clinics and continue our partnerships with schools, pediatricians, and other vaccination providers across the county so that any parent who wants their child vaccinated has an opportunity to do so, a Saratoga County spokesperson said Monday.
Albany County has been working hard with our partners to make the vaccine easily accessible so we can get shots into arms as quickly as possible, said Albany County Director of Communications, Mary Rozak. Our County Health Department has been available to answer questions and been educating the community about the importance of vaccination.
Check out the difference in percentage and number of kids vaccinated on November 17 compared to November 22 by county below:
Getting vaccinated for COVID can prevent kids and adults from getting seriously ill from the virus but it doesnt prevent them from having to quarantine. Vaccinated or not, if someone gets sick from or tests positive for COVID they are supposed to quarantine, according to the DOH.
It means although vaccinations are good for public health, they wont keep COVID from impacting education. After communicating with the Washington County Department of Health, the Fort Ann School District decided to move its students to remote learning from Friday, November 19 to Tuesday, November 23 because of rising cases and because 25% of its population was absent.
While we do wish we could control the number of students who need to quarantine per exposure, we have to follow state guidelines to keep our schools open and to keep our building safe from COVID-19 exposure, said Fort Ann Superintendent, Kevin Froats on the district website. Quarantining a student is something that is out of the control of the district, and is a mandated procedure that we must follow.
Froats said the COVID cases and quarantines among its population leave the district without enough staff and without bus drivers. He said the district is hoping to prevent the spread of the virus in advance of the Thanksgiving holiday. School buildings will be deep cleaned in advance of a return to in-person learning on Monday, November 29.
As its rate of cases has increased, Washington County has been encouraging its residents to get vaccinated and to get tested for COVID ahead of the holidays. The county said its seven-day positive test average was 13.3% as of Sunday, November 21. Its the highest seven-day average of any county in the state, according to the DOH COVID dashboard on Monday.
OurWashingtonCounty, NY Public Health Department continues to coordinate with local healthcare providers (Pediatricians) for the administration of the Pfizer vaccine for youth ages 5-11. At this time, our Public Health team is encouraging parents to check with pediatricians when seeking the COVID-19 vaccine for youth in these age groups initially, the county said Monday.
South Glens Falls School District also moved to remote learning Monday and Tuesday this week because of staff shortages caused by quarantines and a lack of substitute teachers in its middle and high schools, the district said. Elementary school students in the district remain in-person. The district said they held a vaccination clinic for over 280 students ages 5-11 on November 12 and are working with pharmacies to schedule another.
Until we can get another setup, we have asked our families via our weekly message to check with the Saratoga County Health Department because they are hosting several clinics for 5- to 11-year-olds, the district said. On November 15, Superintendent Kristine Orr told district families, Getting our students vaccinated is one of the best mitigating strategies we can do to get our students and schools back to normal routines.
- Marking 5 decades of progress in cancer care - Urology Times - January 5th, 2022
- Ranch group recognizes progress but skeptical of White House action plan - The Fence Post - January 5th, 2022
- Some signs of progress on Hogarth Ave. in Flint - ABC 12 News - January 5th, 2022
- Better Country Beyond: Progress ... and then the big freeze - The West Volusia Beacon - January 5th, 2022
- Bicycle Therapeutics Announces Continued Clinical Progress and Updates to Management Team - Business Wire - January 5th, 2022
- Legislative topic today is education. Bottom line: progress slight over last two decades. - Arkansas Times - January 5th, 2022
- 'PAUL' IT ALL TOGETHER: Resolutions And Empty Spaces - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- By the numbers: Biden reviews supply chain progress with task force - Supply Chain Dive - January 5th, 2022
- Resilient Kingston making progress while facing COVID, other challenges, mayor says in State of the City address - The Daily Freeman - January 5th, 2022
- Cowboy Ingenuity And A Steam Engine - The Progress - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- NC Coastal Federation recaps its progress, looks forward to 2022 - WNCT - January 5th, 2022
- Tolton girls basketball shows signs of progress in first win of the season - Columbia Daily Tribune - January 5th, 2022
- NYC wiped out five years of policing progress in 2021 - New York Post - January 5th, 2022
- City: Daylite Inn making progress on code violations - The Elkhart Truth - January 5th, 2022
- Women Directors Are Actually Losing Ground in Hollywood. Progress In Other Roles Is Glacial - LAist - January 5th, 2022
- The very slow progress on Hazard Center Road - San Diego Reader - January 5th, 2022
- SH Lions Hang On To Beat Bobcats - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Top stories of 2021 in the Jackson Progress-Argus, Part 1 - jacksonprogress-argus - January 5th, 2022
- Big Red Tigers Take Win Over Bulldogs - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- First Snow of 2022 Preceded by Storms and Power Outages - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Battle of Parkers Crossroads Holds 159th Anniversary Event - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Tech trend review offers insight into the future - Farm Progress - January 5th, 2022
- Five Areas of Energy and Climate Progress to Watch for in 2022 - Energy Institute at Haas - January 5th, 2022
- Forward Progress And Texans Stopped - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Don't Let Excellence Get in the Way of Progress - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress Report: Thai Airways Slow But Steady Rehabilitation - Simple Flying - January 3rd, 2022
- Man City Youngster Keen On January Move Abroad to Progress Development - Club's Stance on Potential Sale Revealed - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Brazil Mayor, Brian Wyndham, reflects on progress made in 2021 - WTHITV.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Will the Democratization of Technology Accelerate Progress in AI? - InformationWeek - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress made in Alzheimer's fight this year - Mount Airy News - January 3rd, 2022
- FROM THE HART: OSU's 'biggest win' shows progress and potential - Stillwater News Press - January 3rd, 2022
- The Seahawks offense is still a work-in-progress - Field Gulls - January 3rd, 2022
- Iran says nuclear talks in Vienna are seeing satisfactory progress - The Times of Israel - January 3rd, 2022
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp checks in on the progress of Hub Development - WJBF-TV - January 3rd, 2022
- A Dozen Things That Helped and Hurt Climate Progress in 2021 - State of the Planet - January 3rd, 2022
- Lithium: A year of progress and protests | Mining | elkodaily.com - Elko Daily Free Press - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress edition: Startups not deterred by the pandemic - Post Register - January 3rd, 2022
- Native American tribes have made progress against COVID. Omicron has them 'back in crisis mode.' - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2022
- Dan Campbell is a throwback who is making progress as Lions head coach - SideLion Report - January 3rd, 2022
- Bill Belichick Sheds Light on Mac Jones Progress and Development as a Rookie QB - EssentiallySports - January 3rd, 2022
- Mayor Lightfoot reflects on City of Chicago's progress in 2021 - The - The Chicago Cusader - January 3rd, 2022
- Good News on the Progress of Alex Caruso - bleachernation.com - January 3rd, 2022
- 2021 Year-In-Review: Progress on Education, Health Care, Good Jobs & More - pa.gov - December 29th, 2021
- Where is NASA's James Webb Space Telescope? Here's how to follow its progress. - Space.com - December 29th, 2021
- US sees possible modest progress in Iran nuclear talks - The Times of Israel - December 29th, 2021
- Poland hopes for progress in talks with Czechs over Turow mine - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Department of Family & Preventive Medicine's Colorectal Screening Project Sees Progress in First Year - UAMS News - December 29th, 2021
- Montenegro: New Government, But No Progress on War Crime Probes - Balkan Insight - December 29th, 2021
- No One Asked Me But... (December 29, 2021) - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Malkin and Rust Progress to Full Contact; Six Players Enter Protocol - NHL.com - December 29th, 2021
- Letter: Resolving pandemic is a work in progress - La Grande Observer - December 29th, 2021
- Progress' most-read stories of 2021: New businesses, construction are some of the most read stories - Claremore Daily Progress - December 29th, 2021
- Davis Mills' progress will allow Texans to focus on other needs in draft - Chron - December 29th, 2021
- Oneida County asks for patience amid slow progress with vaccine incentives - WKTV - December 29th, 2021
- IDOT pleased with 2021 progress - Alton Telegraph - December 29th, 2021
- The progress of third-year corner Amani Oruwariye shows just how close the Detroit Lions are to turning things around | NFL News, Rankings and... - December 29th, 2021
- Palmhurst hosts second annual Toy Giveaway Drive-Thru - Progresstimes - December 29th, 2021
- DOT Secretary touts progress and predicts more to come - West Virginia MetroNews - December 29th, 2021
- A LOOK BACK AT 2021: The News In Review - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- New Smart Bins Show Citys Slow Progress On Composting Goals - Gothamist - December 29th, 2021
- Salon Expands Both Space And Staff - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Delivering Christmas Cheer To Hospital Patients - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- U.S. aviation, telecom industries report progress over 5G safety talks - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Bidens Child-Poverty Progress Isnt Real - The Wall Street Journal - December 29th, 2021
- Spurs making progress but Conte still has a 'big job' on his hands - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- 2021 Saw Progress on Mars, Rise in Space Tourists - VOA Learning English - December 29th, 2021
- Winning recipes in The Progress' 2021 Holiday Cookie Contest - Clearfield Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- UN envoy outlines 'possibilities for progress' in Syria next year - UN News - December 22nd, 2021
- Teven Jenkins is a Work in Progress, But You Gotta Love the Physicality - bleachernation.com - December 22nd, 2021
- The Vaccine Rollout Was a Success. But Events Within and Beyond Bidens Control Stymied Progress. - Kaiser Health News - December 22nd, 2021
- Where Rangers' top prospects stand and how much progress they're making - New York Post - December 22nd, 2021
- White House: People won't have to 'wear a mask all the time' if 'we make progress' fighting COVID - Fox News - December 22nd, 2021
- Carbon colonialism must be challenged if we want to make climate progress - The Conversation UK - December 22nd, 2021
- DA's Office Issues Progress Report for '21 | News | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - December 22nd, 2021
- The lockout slogs on with very little progress so far - Camden Chat - December 22nd, 2021
- Oakland Police Making Progress' in Investigation Into Shooting Death of Kevin Nishita - NBC Bay Area - December 22nd, 2021
- Australia wrote to Naval Group noting progress on submarines a week before contract was cancelled - The Guardian Australia - December 22nd, 2021
- Leaving The McDuffie Progress after a very enjoyable 10 years - McDuffie Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- 25 Years of YES!: Hope, Progress, and Setbacks - YES! Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- NY Jets: 3 ways they can show progress against the Dolphins in Week 15 - NorthJersey.com - December 22nd, 2021