Patience is a requirement.
As the boys soccer team struggled to make significant progress in recent years, the frustration was unavoidable among those involved. Worse so, Jason Adams said, when the group believed itself to have enough talent to produce.
My time here started with three years of us being mediocre, the Our Lady of Lourdes High School senior said. We had a couple years we thought we could be good, but fell short, and that was the hardest part to deal with.
It took a level of fortitude to continue believing a turnaround was possible, and that it could happen with this core still in place.
Patience, coincidentally, also has been a key factor in their production this season as Lourdes turned heads by winning its first seven games.
With a system predicated on ball control and meticulous passing, the Warriors have developed an efficient offense and that, in turn, has quickly transformed the team. With this breakthrough, Lourdes quietly has nudged itself into discussions of the best local teams.
Let's play two: Why some athletes are playing two sports in the same season
Stunning: John Jaysoccer shocks itself with dominance of undefeated Mamaroneck
Fast rising: How did Roosevelt boys soccer quickly ascendinto title contention?
Its something weve tried to do for a few years, but its clicking for them now, coach Roy Kievit said of the slowed pace and perimeter play. They were receptive to it and theyre seeing results.
Kievit is in his first season as varsity head coach, but he led the junior varsity squad for years before succeeding longtime coach Matt Schlottmann, who retired. The two had sought to implement that offensive philosophy throughout the program, but it had little impact on the results.
Lourdes had losing records in most years, hovering below the .500 mark. When they did make the Section 1 playoffs, it usually would be as a low-seeded team competing in an out-bracket game. They made small strides last season, going 5-5 and reaching the Dutchess County semifinals in the COVID-shortened fall season. That win total, of course, already has been surpassed.
Whats different now, Kievit said, is an influx of talent younger players whose skills were developed in this system at the lower levels and whose talents fit the scheme.
That group includes sophomore midfielder AJ Geis, whoAdams described as a whiz with precision passes and excellent through balls. Sophomore Alex Crysler, a center midfielder, already has emerged as a vocal leader and a physical presence.
This group, were skilled and knowledgeable about soccer," Adams said. "It was a great idea to change up our form. We can work the ball around and be patient because were confident in ourselves. Its working pretty well.
Adams is an attacking midfielder who is their leading scorer. He earned Journal All-Star honors last year and has excelled even more this season, maneuvering through the defense to find openings in the box or get himself in advantageous positions to receive passes inside.
Good footwork and dribbling skills are necessary in maintaining control of the ball on those prolonged possessions, and several of the players have those abilities.
Were not just kicking the ball up field and chasing after it, Kievit said. We work it around and, if its not there, we reset. We look to find lanes, then attack. If were able to force teams to start running around on defense, thats when the opportunities come.
Lourdes has averaged four goals per game and, in controlling time of possession, the team can limit its opponents opportunities. Most notably, the Warriors upset Peekskill and Walter Panas, announcing themselves as a team to be taken seriously. Their most memorable game, Adams said, was a 4-3 overtime win over Hendrick Hudson in which Lourdes rallied from a three-goal deficit.
Theyre extremely happy and I couldnt be prouder of them, Kievit said of his players. Having that early success is huge because its a motivator. The more wins, the more of a belief there is in what were doing and what were capable of.
Robert Ranieri, Liam Claire and Josh Guerriero have anchored a stout defense, and goalkeeper Ned Van Loan, thrust unexpectedly into a starting role, has held his own.
That was supposed to be one of our questionable areas this year, but we've only let up a few goals, Adams said of the defense. Having Josh and Liam, two 6-footers on defense, definitely helps. We also defend as a team and bring a lot of intensity and physicality.
Noah Balicki and freshmen Jack Yough and Evan Cancro have adapted seamlessly and provided the team such balance and depth, Kievit said, there is an almost constant rotation of players. With a roster of 24, many of whom have comparable talent, even the standouts share minutes.
Thats why theres such intensity every game, knowing theres a guy behind you who can be just as good, said Adams, a four-year varsity player. It can be a gift and a curse, having great depth, but also needing to get playing time for everyone. But were unselfish and it pushes all of us to bring it every time.
Lourdes lost its first game on Tuesday to begin a difficult stretch in which the team has matches on four consecutive days. Still, the Warriors' seven-game win streak to start provides a buffer, and the team rebound with a 3-0 win over Hen Hud on Wednesday.
There isnt a set benchmark for achievement this season, such as reaching a particular round of the playoffs. The goal, they said, is simply to win as many games as possible.
Im jumping up and down on the sidelines after games, Adams said. Im ecstatic. All these years, not having a great season and being disappointed, having the success were having now is a dream come true.
Stephen Haynes: email@example.com, 845-437-4826, Twitter: @StephenHaynes4
Go here to read the rest:
- Georgia Offensive Progress Report Week 12 - CalBearsMaven - November 28th, 2021
- Secessionism Threatens to Upend Bosnia and Herzegovina's Democratic Progress - The National Interest Online - November 28th, 2021
- Cuban happy with progress from Kidd, Harrison - The Official Home of the Dallas Mavericks - Mavs.com - November 28th, 2021
- Markelle Fultz and Jonathan Isaac Continue to Make Progress in Their Rehab - OrlandoMagic.com - November 28th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Anger is a cancer on democracy, progress - Bluffton Today - November 28th, 2021
- Europe is Tested by Waves of Cases that Threaten its Progress Against Pandemic - The New York Times - November 28th, 2021
- NY Jets Robert Saleh has complete faith in the team's plan, but must show progress - NorthJersey.com - November 28th, 2021
- This Thanksgiving, let's be grateful for human progress | TheHill - The Hill - November 28th, 2021
- RFID: Progress, Trends and Prospect - IDTechEx.com - November 28th, 2021
- Bidens confirmations progress at the 300-day mark - Brookings Institution - November 28th, 2021
- Pandemic progress: How far have we come and where are we going? - KXAN.com - November 28th, 2021
- As Focus Intensifies On Rising U.S, Cricket In China Remains A Work In Progress - Forbes - November 28th, 2021
- MEPC 77: For climate progress, shipping needs action from IMO member states on concrete initiatives - Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide - November 28th, 2021
- Shooting victim continues to make progress in recovery - The Salem News - November 28th, 2021
- Austin continues to make progress on bold 2016 sidewalk initiative - Austin Monitor - November 28th, 2021
- UN chief sees firsthand the progress and challenges five years after Colombia's historic peace deal - UN News - November 28th, 2021
- Native Americans See Progress, Work Ahead to Protect Cultural Lands - Voice of America - November 28th, 2021
- Preview of a farm show and a utility vehicle update - Farm Progress - November 28th, 2021
- 'No progress' ahead of Iran nuclear talks, says United Nations agency - FRANCE 24 - November 28th, 2021
- No Progress On John Wall Buyout Return To Rockets Incoming? - NBA Analysis Network - November 28th, 2021
- Scott Morrison digs in over federal Icac and tries to shift blame to Labor for slow progress - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- 9 charts to be thankful for this Thanksgiving: Progress on poverty, cancer, vaccines, and more - Vox - November 28th, 2021
- Ripple seeing 'good progress' in SEC case over XRP, outcome expected next year - CNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Rams and Odell Beckham Jr. remain 'a work in progress' - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Could Covid Lead to Progress? - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Hoping for shorter response times, city making progress on new North Tampa fire station - ABC Action News - November 23rd, 2021
- Breaking down the Celtics offensive progress - CelticsBlog - November 23rd, 2021
- England FA chief Mark Bullingham: Qatar making 'strong progress' on human rights issues ahead of World Cup - ESPN - November 23rd, 2021
- COVID and kids: Vaccine progress update - NEWS10 ABC - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite progress, McCarthy argues we were better off 10 months ago - MSNBC - November 23rd, 2021
- Where Will Patrick Gaspard Take the Center for American Progress? - The New Republic - November 23rd, 2021
- Halo Infinite Multiplayer Review In Progress - I Need A Weapon - GameSpot - November 23rd, 2021
- Breonna Taylor protesters reflect on a year of progress and pain in Louisville - 89.3 WFPL News Louisville - November 23rd, 2021
- EU's Sefcovic sees progress, hope in Northern Ireland Brexit talks - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Cornfield achieves respectable yield in challenging year - Farm Progress - November 23rd, 2021
- Despite the Sabres' progress, the lack of reliable goaltending stands out again - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- CJ Abrams' progress, free-agent starting pitching options and more: Padres mailbag - The Athletic - November 23rd, 2021
- Firefighters stop forward progress on 16-acre fire in Riverside - FOX 11 Los Angeles - November 21st, 2021
- Here's a look at Riot's in-progress fighting game, Project L - PC Gamer - November 21st, 2021
- Evan Mobley making progress in recovery from sprained elbow, but Cleveland Cavaliers wont rush return - cleveland.com - November 21st, 2021
- West Side Rag 20th Precinct's Chief Explains Mixed Progress on Thefts, and Concerns About $2 Bail - westsiderag.com - November 21st, 2021
- Ted Nordhaus on how green activists mislead and hold back progress - The Economist - November 21st, 2021
- After years of rebuilding, the Rangers are finally showing progress - Forever Blueshirts - November 21st, 2021
- Following Through on Metas Civil Rights Audit Progress - Investor Relations - November 21st, 2021
- Guardiola delighted by progress of City youngsters after Everton win - Manchester City FC - November 21st, 2021
- Where Denver's progress stands on lead pipe removal - Axios - November 21st, 2021
- Market predictions, harvest progress, and China-Iowa relations topic of 'Trade Talk' webinar - Successful Farming - November 21st, 2021
- Checking in on Fabian Lysells WHL progress - Stanley Cup of Chowder - November 21st, 2021
- The COVID Pandemic Worsens Food Security Progress in MENA - Al-Bawaba - November 21st, 2021
- Houstons backcourt tandem is still a work in progress - The Dream Shake - November 21st, 2021
- Driving home a point: After a set-up correction Cameron Smith is seeing progress off the tee - usatoday.com - November 21st, 2021
- Noah Syndergaard Reportedly "Making Progress" on a Deal with the Angels (UPDATE: It's Happening) - bleachernation.com - November 21st, 2021
- The Road to 2023: Assessing progress and accelerating delivery on the UN Common Pledges in advance of the next Global Refugee Forum - November 2021 -... - November 21st, 2021
- CSPD says progress being made in construction site theft investigations - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - November 21st, 2021
- New reduced costs of dual HIV/syphilis rapid tests to accelerate progress toward elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis -... - November 21st, 2021
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl Review-In-Progress - GameSpot - November 17th, 2021
- Port of L.A. making 'great progress' in clearing cargo backlog, director says - The Week Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- The U.S. Is Still Blocking Climate Progress - The New Republic - November 17th, 2021
- Paradox says it's "happy" with progress of Bloodlines 2 under new developer - Eurogamer.net - November 17th, 2021
- Transit Making Progress On New Park and Ride - ButlerRadio.com - Butler, PA - butlerradio.com - November 17th, 2021
- The progress (and failures) of COP26, in 3 charts - Grist - November 17th, 2021
- Waters 2021 Sustainability Report Highlights Progress on ESG Initiatives and Response to COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- Column: Progress, Columbia State and my grandfather go hand in hand - Columbia Daily Herald - November 17th, 2021
- ACELYRIN Scores $250 Million to Progress Innovative Antibody Mimetic - BioSpace - November 17th, 2021
- Timberwolves see progress, but can't keep Suns from their ninth win in a row - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 17th, 2021
- Roc the Future highlights progress at 10-year mark - Rochester Beacon - November 17th, 2021
- These researchers are trying to stop misinformation from derailing climate progress - NPR - November 17th, 2021
- Worlds fastest street circuit - What is the current progress of the Jeddah Street Circuit, set to... - The Sportsrush - November 17th, 2021
- Blue River, CDOT make progress on proposed chain-up area in town - Summit Daily News - November 17th, 2021
- Kentucky football: Spoiled football fans? Thats the surest sign yet of progress - Saturday Down South - November 17th, 2021
- Sage Therapeutics Alzheimer's drug likely to progress: regulatory roundup - Clinical Trials Arena - November 17th, 2021
- Don't reverse progress in teaching history honestly - Smithfield Times - Smithfield Times - November 17th, 2021
- Heres the irony of racial progress in Britain its now harder to call out racism - The Guardian - November 17th, 2021
- Kyler Murray is making good progress, has a chance to start next week at Seahawks - NBC Sports - November 17th, 2021
- Bears 1st-and-10: What is George McCaskeys definition of progress? - Chicago Sun-Times - November 17th, 2021
- Can Progress on Diversity Be Union-Made? - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021
- Cattle Rally In Progress, Calf Markets Uneven - Drovers Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Development Of Magnetic Locking Idea Shows Great Progress - Hackaday - November 9th, 2021
- Todays Hot Topic: Wendy Williams Says Shes Making Progress Toward Returning to Her Show - Black Enterprise - November 9th, 2021
- College Football Playoff Rankings: How Much Progress Will San Diego State Make in the Top 25? - MWWire - November 9th, 2021