The town of Blue River and the Colorado Department of Transportation are working toward a resolution on a chain-up area in town that would serve the needs of semitrailer drivers making their way through town while mitigating concerns of local residents.
CDOT is hoping to create an area on Colorado Highway 9 near the intersection with Whispering Pines Circle (near Blue River Town Hall) for semitrailer drivers to chain up before heading south over Hoosier Pass in the winter. Emily Wilfong, a spokesperson for the project, said the move is necessary to improve safety for truckers and other drivers making their way through the corridor.
Hoosier Pass is just a really intense pass to travel during inclement weather, so this just really provides truckers a safe place to chain up, Wilfong said. I think sometimes when we see noncompliance, its because they dont have a safe place to put chains on, so I think, overall, were hoping this will increase usage of chains. We do know that if youre not chained up during a chain law, theres so much opportunity for a crash to occur that snarls up traffic and completely breaks down the roadway. So our hope is to have a safety benefit for all motorists.
Earlier this year, Blue River officials began pushing back against the proposal, listing a number of concerns surrounding negative impacts to wildlife and wetlands along with other nuisances that could come as a result of the project, such as lighting at the station.
But for the past few months, stakeholders with CDOT and the town have been holding group sessions to discuss the concerns and come to a workable solution for everyone. Blue River Town Manager Michelle Eddy said the meetings have borne fruit.
In July, they came back after many discussions with a proposal that takes away what we would call a traditional chain-up station, Eddy said. We feel its headed in a good direction. Its still a work in progress, but its a lot more positive than it was a year ago.
The original proposal called for a 50-foot expansion on the west side of the highway to create a pullout area for trucks to stop during chain-up law periods. The new proposal is considerably scaled back. It would widen the roadway pavement by about 21 feet in order to create a bypass lane on the west side of the highway, which would serve as a safe pullout area for truckers to chain up in winter. During the rest of the year, the extra lane would give motorists space to move around drivers waiting to turn left onto Whispering Pines.
Changeable signage would likely be installed to inform drivers when the bypass lane is being used for chain-up operations and to reduce the speed limit, but Wilfong said there are currently no plans to add additional lighting to the area.
Wilfong also said CDOT is planning on creating a landscaping buffer within the project area, and that the department would be conducting an environmental analysis to consider potential impacts to wildlife, wetlands and more.
Eddy said the town still has some worries about the project, including how the towns small police department will be able to handle enforcement on the roadway and the lack of a chain-down station headed in the other direction through Blue River. Wilfong said CDOT hasnt yet identified funding for a chain-down station in the area, but the department is looking into developing designs for such a project to keep on the shelf until funding becomes available.
It is a priority for CDOT, too, because its not really practical for trucks to drive from there all the way to I-70 or wherever is safe to chain down, Wilfong said. Its being thought about.
Wilfong said officials hope to have final designs in hand by the end of next year, and construction could take place as early as spring or summer 2023.
Its been a collaborative effort, understanding that in a collaboration everyone has to give a little bit, Eddy said. I will say that so far, over the last several months, I do feel CDOT has heard our concerns, and I attribute that to the community coming together. Obviously, theres still work to be done, but were at least working together on this.
See the rest here:
- Marking 5 decades of progress in cancer care - Urology Times - January 5th, 2022
- Ranch group recognizes progress but skeptical of White House action plan - The Fence Post - January 5th, 2022
- Some signs of progress on Hogarth Ave. in Flint - ABC 12 News - January 5th, 2022
- Better Country Beyond: Progress ... and then the big freeze - The West Volusia Beacon - January 5th, 2022
- Bicycle Therapeutics Announces Continued Clinical Progress and Updates to Management Team - Business Wire - January 5th, 2022
- Legislative topic today is education. Bottom line: progress slight over last two decades. - Arkansas Times - January 5th, 2022
- 'PAUL' IT ALL TOGETHER: Resolutions And Empty Spaces - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- By the numbers: Biden reviews supply chain progress with task force - Supply Chain Dive - January 5th, 2022
- Resilient Kingston making progress while facing COVID, other challenges, mayor says in State of the City address - The Daily Freeman - January 5th, 2022
- Cowboy Ingenuity And A Steam Engine - The Progress - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- NC Coastal Federation recaps its progress, looks forward to 2022 - WNCT - January 5th, 2022
- Tolton girls basketball shows signs of progress in first win of the season - Columbia Daily Tribune - January 5th, 2022
- NYC wiped out five years of policing progress in 2021 - New York Post - January 5th, 2022
- City: Daylite Inn making progress on code violations - The Elkhart Truth - January 5th, 2022
- Women Directors Are Actually Losing Ground in Hollywood. Progress In Other Roles Is Glacial - LAist - January 5th, 2022
- The very slow progress on Hazard Center Road - San Diego Reader - January 5th, 2022
- SH Lions Hang On To Beat Bobcats - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Top stories of 2021 in the Jackson Progress-Argus, Part 1 - jacksonprogress-argus - January 5th, 2022
- Big Red Tigers Take Win Over Bulldogs - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- First Snow of 2022 Preceded by Storms and Power Outages - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Battle of Parkers Crossroads Holds 159th Anniversary Event - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Tech trend review offers insight into the future - Farm Progress - January 5th, 2022
- Five Areas of Energy and Climate Progress to Watch for in 2022 - Energy Institute at Haas - January 5th, 2022
- Forward Progress And Texans Stopped - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Don't Let Excellence Get in the Way of Progress - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress Report: Thai Airways Slow But Steady Rehabilitation - Simple Flying - January 3rd, 2022
- Man City Youngster Keen On January Move Abroad to Progress Development - Club's Stance on Potential Sale Revealed - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Brazil Mayor, Brian Wyndham, reflects on progress made in 2021 - WTHITV.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Will the Democratization of Technology Accelerate Progress in AI? - InformationWeek - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress made in Alzheimer's fight this year - Mount Airy News - January 3rd, 2022
- FROM THE HART: OSU's 'biggest win' shows progress and potential - Stillwater News Press - January 3rd, 2022
- The Seahawks offense is still a work-in-progress - Field Gulls - January 3rd, 2022
- Iran says nuclear talks in Vienna are seeing satisfactory progress - The Times of Israel - January 3rd, 2022
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp checks in on the progress of Hub Development - WJBF-TV - January 3rd, 2022
- A Dozen Things That Helped and Hurt Climate Progress in 2021 - State of the Planet - January 3rd, 2022
- Lithium: A year of progress and protests | Mining | elkodaily.com - Elko Daily Free Press - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress edition: Startups not deterred by the pandemic - Post Register - January 3rd, 2022
- Native American tribes have made progress against COVID. Omicron has them 'back in crisis mode.' - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2022
- Dan Campbell is a throwback who is making progress as Lions head coach - SideLion Report - January 3rd, 2022
- Bill Belichick Sheds Light on Mac Jones Progress and Development as a Rookie QB - EssentiallySports - January 3rd, 2022
- Mayor Lightfoot reflects on City of Chicago's progress in 2021 - The - The Chicago Cusader - January 3rd, 2022
- Good News on the Progress of Alex Caruso - bleachernation.com - January 3rd, 2022
- 2021 Year-In-Review: Progress on Education, Health Care, Good Jobs & More - pa.gov - December 29th, 2021
- Where is NASA's James Webb Space Telescope? Here's how to follow its progress. - Space.com - December 29th, 2021
- US sees possible modest progress in Iran nuclear talks - The Times of Israel - December 29th, 2021
- Poland hopes for progress in talks with Czechs over Turow mine - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Department of Family & Preventive Medicine's Colorectal Screening Project Sees Progress in First Year - UAMS News - December 29th, 2021
- Montenegro: New Government, But No Progress on War Crime Probes - Balkan Insight - December 29th, 2021
- No One Asked Me But... (December 29, 2021) - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Malkin and Rust Progress to Full Contact; Six Players Enter Protocol - NHL.com - December 29th, 2021
- Letter: Resolving pandemic is a work in progress - La Grande Observer - December 29th, 2021
- Progress' most-read stories of 2021: New businesses, construction are some of the most read stories - Claremore Daily Progress - December 29th, 2021
- Davis Mills' progress will allow Texans to focus on other needs in draft - Chron - December 29th, 2021
- Oneida County asks for patience amid slow progress with vaccine incentives - WKTV - December 29th, 2021
- IDOT pleased with 2021 progress - Alton Telegraph - December 29th, 2021
- The progress of third-year corner Amani Oruwariye shows just how close the Detroit Lions are to turning things around | NFL News, Rankings and... - December 29th, 2021
- Palmhurst hosts second annual Toy Giveaway Drive-Thru - Progresstimes - December 29th, 2021
- DOT Secretary touts progress and predicts more to come - West Virginia MetroNews - December 29th, 2021
- A LOOK BACK AT 2021: The News In Review - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- New Smart Bins Show Citys Slow Progress On Composting Goals - Gothamist - December 29th, 2021
- Salon Expands Both Space And Staff - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Delivering Christmas Cheer To Hospital Patients - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- U.S. aviation, telecom industries report progress over 5G safety talks - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Bidens Child-Poverty Progress Isnt Real - The Wall Street Journal - December 29th, 2021
- Spurs making progress but Conte still has a 'big job' on his hands - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- 2021 Saw Progress on Mars, Rise in Space Tourists - VOA Learning English - December 29th, 2021
- Winning recipes in The Progress' 2021 Holiday Cookie Contest - Clearfield Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- UN envoy outlines 'possibilities for progress' in Syria next year - UN News - December 22nd, 2021
- Teven Jenkins is a Work in Progress, But You Gotta Love the Physicality - bleachernation.com - December 22nd, 2021
- The Vaccine Rollout Was a Success. But Events Within and Beyond Bidens Control Stymied Progress. - Kaiser Health News - December 22nd, 2021
- Where Rangers' top prospects stand and how much progress they're making - New York Post - December 22nd, 2021
- White House: People won't have to 'wear a mask all the time' if 'we make progress' fighting COVID - Fox News - December 22nd, 2021
- Carbon colonialism must be challenged if we want to make climate progress - The Conversation UK - December 22nd, 2021
- DA's Office Issues Progress Report for '21 | News | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - December 22nd, 2021
- The lockout slogs on with very little progress so far - Camden Chat - December 22nd, 2021
- Oakland Police Making Progress' in Investigation Into Shooting Death of Kevin Nishita - NBC Bay Area - December 22nd, 2021
- Australia wrote to Naval Group noting progress on submarines a week before contract was cancelled - The Guardian Australia - December 22nd, 2021
- Leaving The McDuffie Progress after a very enjoyable 10 years - McDuffie Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- 25 Years of YES!: Hope, Progress, and Setbacks - YES! Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- NY Jets: 3 ways they can show progress against the Dolphins in Week 15 - NorthJersey.com - December 22nd, 2021