The last time the Bears were 3-6 was in 2017, when the situation wasnt all that much different than it is today: A coaching staff on the hot seat and a rookie quarterback coming off a career-best game in another loss after Mitch Trubisky threw for 297 yards and a touchdown against the Packers at Soldier Field.
A promising quarterback wasnt able to save John Fox, in part because following a season in which Sean McVay worked wonders with Jared Goff Trubisky needed a quarterback whisperer as his head coach.
The situation is a little more complicated this time, with Matt Nagy coaching Justin Fields. At 3-6 with Fields taking his biggest steps yet in back-to-back games against the 49ers and Steelers, the Bears are accelerating into what Nagy would call the gray. Or as Bears fans would call it, The Twilight Zone: A non-playoff team with a quarterback ready for liftoff.
Unless Fields small steps turn into giant leaps that transform the Bears into NFC contenders stranger things have happened the focus will soon turn to Bears chairman George McCaskey and president Ted Phillips for an update on what they consider progress.
That was the bar McCaskey set for general manager Ryan Pace and Nagy in 2021 after both were retained following a second consecutive 8-8 season in 2020. McCaskey has not made himself available since that January press conference to define progress a silence that has become increasingly deafening as the Bears season has veered off course under Nagy.
It would seem likely that a non-playoff season would elicit a coaching change if not a house-cleaning that would include Pace as well. But they have a strange definition of progress at Halas Hall. This is the place where former GM Phil Emery once defined Jay Cutler as elite because he had a winning record, so please hold all tickets during the inquiry.
The Bears 29-27 loss to the Steelers showed just how tricky this could become. Fields game seemed like a breakthrough. He passed for a career-high 291 yards, with pass plays of 50, 39, 28 and 25 yards (Sunday to Aaron Rodgers, but a celebration in Chicago). And he was at his best when the Bears needed him most engineering a seven-play, 75-yard touchdown drive in 66 seconds to give the Bears a 27-26 lead with 1:46 to go. Yet, the Bears still lost again.
What if the rest of the season plays out like the Steelers game, with Fields showing actual progress, making big plays, looking like hes on the cusp of greatness but with the Bears still losing to the Ravens, Cardinals, Packers and Seahawks? That could be more impressive to George and Ted than beating the Texans, Vikings and Jaguars to pull out of a six-game losing streak. Then what?
That might be an easy call for you, but its a much tougher one for McCaskey and Phillips. Justin Fields looks like the real deal. At Halas Hall, thats progress.
2. Regardless of the NFL defending the bad call, the Bears got a raw deal when Cassius Marsh was called for taunting after a third-down sack in the fourth quarter. Is it really that difficult to call only the obvious taunting infractions? Its a fine line, but referees such as Tony Corrente have no idea where that line is.
That said, the Bears have themselves to at least partially blame for the crackdown that is leading to these bogus calls. The violent reactions by Javon Wims and Anthony Miller against Saints defensive back C.J. Gardner-Johnson last season heightened the NFLs sensitivity to taunting and on-field altercations and what they can lead to.
3. It was a close call, but Nagy probably should have tried a Hail Mary pass on the final play against the Steelers on Monday night instead of having Cairo Santos attempt a 65-yard field goal.
Both plays are long shots, but Nagy had none of the factors that usually come into play on kicks like that the wind at the kickers back, indoors, altitude or a kicker with a notably big leg.
Santos career-long field goal is 53 yards. His only other attempt longer than 55 yards was a 66-yard attempt against the Bears on the final play of the game in 2015. It never had a chance as the Bears won, 18-17 at Arrowhead Stadium.
Its worth noting that Nagy was on Andy Reids Chiefs staff at that time. Reid explained at the time that Santos had made kicks from that distance in practice 65 yards in training camp 65 and 67 yards at Arrowhead with the wind at his back. It was a long shot either way, Reid said.
4. For What Its Worth Dept.: The Bears have completed three Hail Mary passes in recent memory: Mitch Trubiskys 54-yard pass to Kevin White at the 1-yard line against the Patriots in 2018; Jay Cutlers 50-yard touchdown to Cam Meredith against the Buccaneers in 2015; and Shane Matthews 34-yard touchdown to running back James Allen against the Browns in 2001.
The Bears longest field goal in franchise history is Robbie Goulds 58-yarder against the Bengals in 2013. No kicker had made a field goal longer than 64 yards until the Ravens Justin Tucker kicked a 66-yarder at Ford Field (a big leg kicking indoors) in Week 3.
5. Signs of Progress: The Bears gained 414 yards against a Steelers defense that is allowing 345.7 yards per game this season. Its the only game in which the Bears offense has exceeded an opponents current average yards allowed.
The Bears 7.1 yards per play against the Steelers is the fourth-highest in Nagys four seasons. The top three all came in 2018, and against losing teams: the Buccaneers (8.3), Lions (7.6) and Dolphins (7.3).
6. Rookie offensive tackle Teven Jenkins was working out on the field prior to the Bears-Steelers game, an indication he likely will be able to return before the end of the season after having back surgery in August.
If Jenkins returns, the big question is where the Bears will play him. Jenkins is projected as the Bears starting left tackle for years to come. But veteran Jason Peters is starting there now, and arguably has been the Bears best offensive linemen this season. Would the Bears sit Peters so Jenkins could get a head start on next season?
Offensive line coach Juan Castillo didnt want to speculate.
I know this: When he comes back, hes going to be ready, Castillo said. I hope we have to make that decision.
7. Rookie Larry Borom has a long way to go, but the fifth-round draft pick hasnt looked out of place in two starts at left tackle against stiff competition.
In fact, fifth/sixth round draft picks by Ryan Pace combined for three touchdowns and a sack against the Steelers: Wide receiver Darnell Mooney (5-173 in 2020) scored on a 15-yard run and 16-yard reception; safety DeAndre Houston-Carson (6-185 in 2016) scored on a 25-yard fumble return; Bilal Nichols (5-145 in 2018) had a sack. And another Pace fifth-rounder, Jordan Howard (5-150. in 2016), gained 71 yards on 17 carries and scored his third touchdown in two weeks for the Eagles against the Chargers on Sunday.
8. Bits & Pieces: The Bears four pass plays of 25 or more yards (50, 39, 28 and 25) were as many as they had in their first eight games. Fields 291 yards was the sixth most in the NFL last week. Thats the first time a Bear quarterback has been higher than 21st this season. The Bears are 0-3 in the game after the bye in Nagys three seasons. the Bears final four 2021 opponents are currently 3-5 the Vikings, Seahawks, Giants and Vikings, so
9. Josh McCown Ex-Bears Player of the Week: Falcons running back/wide receiver/kick returner Cordarrelle Patterson had six receptions for 126 yards against the Saints including a clutch 64-yard catch in the final minute that led to the winning field goal in a 27-25 victory at the Superdome. Patterson is a three-time winner of this award already this season.
Patterson leads the Falcons in rushing (73-278, 3.8, two touchdowns) and receptions (38-459, 12.1, five touchdowns). He has more total yards in eight games with the Falcons (737 on 111 touches, seven touchdowns) than he did in 32 games with the Bears (550 yards on 113 touches, one touchdown).
10. Bear-ometer: 6-11 vs. Ravens (L); at Lions (W); vs. Cardinals (L); at Packers (L); vs. Vikings (W); at Seahawks (L); vs. Giants (W); at Vikings (L).
Expert analysis and reporting before and after every Bears game, from the journalists who cover the Monsters of the Midway best.
- Marking 5 decades of progress in cancer care - Urology Times - January 5th, 2022
- Ranch group recognizes progress but skeptical of White House action plan - The Fence Post - January 5th, 2022
- Some signs of progress on Hogarth Ave. in Flint - ABC 12 News - January 5th, 2022
- Better Country Beyond: Progress ... and then the big freeze - The West Volusia Beacon - January 5th, 2022
- Bicycle Therapeutics Announces Continued Clinical Progress and Updates to Management Team - Business Wire - January 5th, 2022
- Legislative topic today is education. Bottom line: progress slight over last two decades. - Arkansas Times - January 5th, 2022
- 'PAUL' IT ALL TOGETHER: Resolutions And Empty Spaces - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- By the numbers: Biden reviews supply chain progress with task force - Supply Chain Dive - January 5th, 2022
- Resilient Kingston making progress while facing COVID, other challenges, mayor says in State of the City address - The Daily Freeman - January 5th, 2022
- Cowboy Ingenuity And A Steam Engine - The Progress - mvprogress - January 5th, 2022
- NC Coastal Federation recaps its progress, looks forward to 2022 - WNCT - January 5th, 2022
- Tolton girls basketball shows signs of progress in first win of the season - Columbia Daily Tribune - January 5th, 2022
- NYC wiped out five years of policing progress in 2021 - New York Post - January 5th, 2022
- City: Daylite Inn making progress on code violations - The Elkhart Truth - January 5th, 2022
- Women Directors Are Actually Losing Ground in Hollywood. Progress In Other Roles Is Glacial - LAist - January 5th, 2022
- The very slow progress on Hazard Center Road - San Diego Reader - January 5th, 2022
- SH Lions Hang On To Beat Bobcats - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Top stories of 2021 in the Jackson Progress-Argus, Part 1 - jacksonprogress-argus - January 5th, 2022
- Big Red Tigers Take Win Over Bulldogs - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- First Snow of 2022 Preceded by Storms and Power Outages - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Battle of Parkers Crossroads Holds 159th Anniversary Event - lexingtonprogress.com - January 5th, 2022
- Tech trend review offers insight into the future - Farm Progress - January 5th, 2022
- Five Areas of Energy and Climate Progress to Watch for in 2022 - Energy Institute at Haas - January 5th, 2022
- Forward Progress And Texans Stopped - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Don't Let Excellence Get in the Way of Progress - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress Report: Thai Airways Slow But Steady Rehabilitation - Simple Flying - January 3rd, 2022
- Man City Youngster Keen On January Move Abroad to Progress Development - Club's Stance on Potential Sale Revealed - Sports Illustrated - January 3rd, 2022
- Brazil Mayor, Brian Wyndham, reflects on progress made in 2021 - WTHITV.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Will the Democratization of Technology Accelerate Progress in AI? - InformationWeek - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress made in Alzheimer's fight this year - Mount Airy News - January 3rd, 2022
- FROM THE HART: OSU's 'biggest win' shows progress and potential - Stillwater News Press - January 3rd, 2022
- The Seahawks offense is still a work-in-progress - Field Gulls - January 3rd, 2022
- Iran says nuclear talks in Vienna are seeing satisfactory progress - The Times of Israel - January 3rd, 2022
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp checks in on the progress of Hub Development - WJBF-TV - January 3rd, 2022
- A Dozen Things That Helped and Hurt Climate Progress in 2021 - State of the Planet - January 3rd, 2022
- Lithium: A year of progress and protests | Mining | elkodaily.com - Elko Daily Free Press - January 3rd, 2022
- Progress edition: Startups not deterred by the pandemic - Post Register - January 3rd, 2022
- Native American tribes have made progress against COVID. Omicron has them 'back in crisis mode.' - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2022
- Dan Campbell is a throwback who is making progress as Lions head coach - SideLion Report - January 3rd, 2022
- Bill Belichick Sheds Light on Mac Jones Progress and Development as a Rookie QB - EssentiallySports - January 3rd, 2022
- Mayor Lightfoot reflects on City of Chicago's progress in 2021 - The - The Chicago Cusader - January 3rd, 2022
- Good News on the Progress of Alex Caruso - bleachernation.com - January 3rd, 2022
- 2021 Year-In-Review: Progress on Education, Health Care, Good Jobs & More - pa.gov - December 29th, 2021
- Where is NASA's James Webb Space Telescope? Here's how to follow its progress. - Space.com - December 29th, 2021
- US sees possible modest progress in Iran nuclear talks - The Times of Israel - December 29th, 2021
- Poland hopes for progress in talks with Czechs over Turow mine - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Department of Family & Preventive Medicine's Colorectal Screening Project Sees Progress in First Year - UAMS News - December 29th, 2021
- Montenegro: New Government, But No Progress on War Crime Probes - Balkan Insight - December 29th, 2021
- No One Asked Me But... (December 29, 2021) - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Malkin and Rust Progress to Full Contact; Six Players Enter Protocol - NHL.com - December 29th, 2021
- Letter: Resolving pandemic is a work in progress - La Grande Observer - December 29th, 2021
- Progress' most-read stories of 2021: New businesses, construction are some of the most read stories - Claremore Daily Progress - December 29th, 2021
- Davis Mills' progress will allow Texans to focus on other needs in draft - Chron - December 29th, 2021
- Oneida County asks for patience amid slow progress with vaccine incentives - WKTV - December 29th, 2021
- IDOT pleased with 2021 progress - Alton Telegraph - December 29th, 2021
- The progress of third-year corner Amani Oruwariye shows just how close the Detroit Lions are to turning things around | NFL News, Rankings and... - December 29th, 2021
- Palmhurst hosts second annual Toy Giveaway Drive-Thru - Progresstimes - December 29th, 2021
- DOT Secretary touts progress and predicts more to come - West Virginia MetroNews - December 29th, 2021
- A LOOK BACK AT 2021: The News In Review - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- New Smart Bins Show Citys Slow Progress On Composting Goals - Gothamist - December 29th, 2021
- Salon Expands Both Space And Staff - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- Delivering Christmas Cheer To Hospital Patients - The Progress - mvprogress - December 29th, 2021
- U.S. aviation, telecom industries report progress over 5G safety talks - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- Bidens Child-Poverty Progress Isnt Real - The Wall Street Journal - December 29th, 2021
- Spurs making progress but Conte still has a 'big job' on his hands - Reuters - December 29th, 2021
- 2021 Saw Progress on Mars, Rise in Space Tourists - VOA Learning English - December 29th, 2021
- Winning recipes in The Progress' 2021 Holiday Cookie Contest - Clearfield Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- UN envoy outlines 'possibilities for progress' in Syria next year - UN News - December 22nd, 2021
- Teven Jenkins is a Work in Progress, But You Gotta Love the Physicality - bleachernation.com - December 22nd, 2021
- The Vaccine Rollout Was a Success. But Events Within and Beyond Bidens Control Stymied Progress. - Kaiser Health News - December 22nd, 2021
- Where Rangers' top prospects stand and how much progress they're making - New York Post - December 22nd, 2021
- White House: People won't have to 'wear a mask all the time' if 'we make progress' fighting COVID - Fox News - December 22nd, 2021
- Carbon colonialism must be challenged if we want to make climate progress - The Conversation UK - December 22nd, 2021
- DA's Office Issues Progress Report for '21 | News | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - December 22nd, 2021
- The lockout slogs on with very little progress so far - Camden Chat - December 22nd, 2021
- Oakland Police Making Progress' in Investigation Into Shooting Death of Kevin Nishita - NBC Bay Area - December 22nd, 2021
- Australia wrote to Naval Group noting progress on submarines a week before contract was cancelled - The Guardian Australia - December 22nd, 2021
- Leaving The McDuffie Progress after a very enjoyable 10 years - McDuffie Progress - December 22nd, 2021
- 25 Years of YES!: Hope, Progress, and Setbacks - YES! Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- NY Jets: 3 ways they can show progress against the Dolphins in Week 15 - NorthJersey.com - December 22nd, 2021