Australias defence department wrote to Frances Naval Group a week before the submarine contract was sensationally cancelled, acknowledging the successful completion of one requirement for moving to the next stage of the project.
The three-page letter, obtained by Guardian Australia under freedom of information laws, shows the Australian government set out six conditions on which Canberra would agree to pass a key milestone in the $90bn project.
The letter acknowledged that at least one of those conditions was successfully completed as of 8 September, and said the Australian government has, to date, demonstrated its commitment to working collaboratively with Naval Group.
But the document also included a cautionary line that the next stage of the project which aimed to deliver 12 conventionally powered submarines remained subject to Government approval.
The letter was sent eight days before the prime minister, Scott Morrison, dumped the French deal in favour of the new Aukus partnership with the US and the UK for nuclear-powered submarines.
The move, which followed a year and a half of private deliberations, sparked a diplomatic rift with Paris, which complained of being blindsided and stabbed in the back.
The tensions culminated in French president Emmanuel Macrons direct accusation that Morrison had lied. Morrison labelled that accusation as sledging and a private text message from Macron was released, further angering French officials.
The French foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, told a parliamentary hearing in late September that someone lied, because he could not reconcile positive correspondence from Australias defence department with the Aukus decision communicated by Morrison.
The correspondence with Naval Group in the lead-up to the decision is a key piece of the Aukus puzzle, although to date the documents released do not show Australia giving a concrete assurance that the project would proceed.
Instead they paint a picture of progress steadily being made towards highly technical requirements.
Guardian Australia has previously reported on the contents of a letter sent on 15 September hours before the Aukus announcement which was at the heart of French claims of Australian double-dealing.
In that letter, the director general of the Future Submarine Program, Royal Australian Navy Commodore Craig Bourke, confirmed the exit of the Functional Ship System Functional Review (SFR) has been achieved as required.
Sign up to receive the top stories from Guardian Australia every morning
But Bourke added a caveat about the government not yet granting authorisation to proceed. He said the Australian government reminds Naval Group that this exit does not remove the obligations outlined in a different letter sent a week earlier.
The defence department has now released the earlier letter, dated 8 September, with some portions redacted.
Bourke told Guillaume Jampy of Naval Group in Paris that the purpose of this letter is to set out the path forward to ensure the formal completion of the functional review and a subsequent milestone can be achieved.
Bourke wrote that the next milestone was necessary for Naval Group to verify and validate, and for the Commonwealth to have assurance of, the system performance of the Whole Warship to demonstrate the achievement of the functional characteristics of the Commonwealths requirements for the design.
Some parts of the document were blacked-out, on the basis that it contained information of a commercial value to the French contractor, which had been consulted as part of the FOI process.
After one such redacted passage, Bourke wrote: However, the Commonwealth has, to date, demonstrated its commitment to working collaboratively with Naval Group throughout this process.
In order to minimise disruption to the program, subject to Government approval and to enable the continuation of work under the [Submarine Design Contract], the Commonwealth advises it will agree that Naval Group will exit the functional review subject to the following conditions.
The letter outlined six criteria, including that certain technical requirements were demonstrated to the Commonwealths satisfaction by 30 Aug 2021 this has been successfully completed.
The second condition was that three action plans were consolidated into one plan approved by the commonwealth but Bourke said that at the time of writing this letter, this action remains open.
The other four criteria were blacked out. The FOI decision maker found that disclosing certain commercial arrangements could reasonably be expected to benefit Naval Groups competitors in winning future work for which Naval Group is competing by revealing the terms that Naval Group is prepared to accept.
Bourke advised Naval Group on 8 September: Upon Naval Group completing the actions, and agreeing to the conditions the Commonwealth will send a subsequent letter formally advising Naval Group it has exited [the functional review].
That follow-up letter was then sent on 15 September, hours before Morrison announced the project was being abandoned altogether in favour of a forever partnership with the UK and the US.
Morrison, Boris Johnson and Joe Biden launched an 18-month study, to help Australia find a way to build at least eight nuclear-powered submarines.
Australian officials say the plan is driven by increasing concerns about Chinas assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific, and by Australias desire to project power farther north and for its submarines to be less easily detectible.
The secretary of the defence department, Greg Moriarty, told a recent Australian Senate estimates hearing the contract with Naval Group had been terminated for convenience because our requirements have changed not because of poor performance.
Moriarty said he spoke with Naval Group representatives on 15 September the night before the 7am announcement to advise them of the decision to cancel the program. They were surprised and disappointed, understandably, Moriarty said.
The Australian government has not revealed how much it expects to pay out to Naval Group in cancellation fees, nor the cost of scrapping the related deal with American contractor Lockheed Martin for the submarine combat system.
The governments budget update last week said the termination costs were subject to negotiations with the companies, which have commenced.
The Australian defence minister, Peter Dutton, has previously urged France to put aside any hurt feelings over the scrapping of the contract, arguing the decision was in Australias best interests and the French were going to be upset whenever they were told.
Read more from the original source:
- Harvard police chief recalls his first year of pandemic, progress - Harvard Gazette - May 20th, 2022
- Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Managers Report Progress, Brace for Return of Winds - Santa Fe Reporter - May 20th, 2022
- Community progress in Maryvale based on coming together, hearing people, says former ASU program head - ASU News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Opinion | American Progress Is No Longer a Sure Thing - The New York Times - May 20th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - Greeley Tribune - May 20th, 2022
- Apple shows AR/VR headset to its board in sign of progress on project - AdAge.com - May 20th, 2022
- MoDOT gives behind the scenes of progress on Rocheport bridge - ABC17News.com - May 20th, 2022
- Firefighters make progress on control lines ahead of the Bear Trap Fire - nmfireinfo.com - May 20th, 2022
- Community development plan: Fort Hood Family Housing building a bridge to progress - United States Army - May 20th, 2022
- Hard Work and Progress Pave Hawks' Road to State - KCII Radio - May 20th, 2022
- Bernd Rodler: Real Innovation And Progress Happen Beyond Big Tech (Part II) Interview - Eurasia Review - May 20th, 2022
- Bristol Myers Squibb Data at ASCO and EHA 2022 Highlight Progress in Transforming Treatment for Patients with Cancer and Blood Disorders - Business... - May 20th, 2022
- Work in Progress: May 19, 2022 The Sopris Sun - soprissun.com - May 20th, 2022
- Viola Davis Reveals a Director Called Her by His Maids Name, Speaks Out on Hollywoods Slow Race Progress (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - May 20th, 2022
- USDOT: Nation seeing signs of progress in supply chain as historic level of goods flow in - TheTrucker.com - The Trucker - May 20th, 2022
- Top CTV Buyers 'frustrated' By Slow Progress Of Ad Measurement Projects - The Drum - May 20th, 2022
- Fire crews stop forward progress of Evita Fire, evacuation warning downgraded - Action News Now - May 20th, 2022
- Third Round Bound Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk: Twitter deal cannot progress without proof on bot numbers - The Guardian - May 17th, 2022
- Accelerate sustainability progress and business growth with Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability starting June 1 - The Official Microsoft Blog -... - May 17th, 2022
- Report finds little progress reducing violence against Native American women - MPR News - May 17th, 2022
- During Infrastructure Week, Mayor Bowser Highlights Progress in Expanding Access to Solar Projects Through DC Green Bank | mayormb - Executive Office... - May 17th, 2022
- Review highlights progress of the Greenfield school year - The Highland County Press - May 17th, 2022
- Karl Dorrell pleased with CU Buffs offseason progress - BuffZone - May 17th, 2022
- How Should Cybersecurity Leaders Report on Their Progress? - BizTech Magazine - May 17th, 2022
- With Inflation, California Worries About Progress On Poverty - LAist - May 17th, 2022
- Palmhurst to hold special mayoral election Progress Times - Progresstimes - May 17th, 2022
- As It Were: Mounds didn't stand in way of Columbus' progress - The Columbus Dispatch - May 17th, 2022
- Major progress made, alternatives offered to help ease baby formula shortage - KITV Honolulu - May 17th, 2022
- Progress Releases MOVEit 2022 with Advanced Capabilities to Secure and Simplify File Transfer Across Systems | Progress Software Corporation -... - May 17th, 2022
- Calling for rapid progress on the formation of a stable government in Iraq: UK Statement at the UN Security Council - GOV.UK - May 17th, 2022
- Mayor declares it Affordable Housing Week to celebrate progress made and stress need for additional investment - LouisvilleKy.gov - May 17th, 2022
- Employee trust4 ways to maintain progress made during the pandemic - AdAge.com - May 17th, 2022
- UN advisor on Libya pleased with encouraging progress in talks between HoR and HSC - Egypt Today - May 17th, 2022
- The lunar eclipse in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- Assault victim taken to the hospital with CPR in progress - KETV Omaha - May 17th, 2022
- More progress in fight to contain northern Michigan wildfire - Detroit News - May 17th, 2022
- UPDATE: Crews make progress on High Park Fire over the weekend - FOX21News.com - May 17th, 2022
- Firefighters stop forward progress of wind-driven fire near Porter Ranch - KTLA Los Angeles - May 15th, 2022
- The Messy Progress on Data Privacy - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Work in Progress: Alma baseball off to 8-8 start - The Morning Sun - May 15th, 2022
- Storm chances remain high as we progress through the weekend - FOX 59 Indianapolis - May 15th, 2022
- Cash, coal, cars and trees: what progress has been made since Cop26? - The Guardian - May 15th, 2022
- Progress to Participate in the 17th Annual Needham Technology & Media Conference - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2022
- New report shows progress and missed opportunities in the control of NCDs at the national level - World Health Organization - May 15th, 2022
- Biden: Progress on baby formula supply coming very shortly - The Hill - May 15th, 2022
- Springbank homeowner comes across break-and-enter in progress: RCMP - Airdrie Today - May 15th, 2022
- Tompkins confident in progress of $50 million street program - Herald-Banner - May 15th, 2022
- 2022 Projects for Progress awardees continue working with community | Penn Today - Penn Today - May 15th, 2022
- Otter Tail Power Company Making Great Progress Many in Castlewood Will Have Power Soon - mykxlg.com - May 15th, 2022
- UAE saw surge in progress in these six areas during Sheikh Khalifa's years in office - The National - May 15th, 2022
- 3 Questions: Daniel Anderson on the progress of mRNA vaccines - MIT News - May 13th, 2022
- Construction Progress on the New Crystal Police Station - CCX Media - ccxmedia.org - May 13th, 2022
- Progress Releases MOVEit 2022 with Advanced Capabilities to Secure and Simplify File Transfer Across Systems - GlobeNewswire - May 13th, 2022
- MIT Climate Plug-In highlights first year of progress on MIT's climate plan - MIT News - May 13th, 2022
- Mayor Dyer discusses progress and upcoming projects at State of the City - YourCentralValley.com - May 13th, 2022
- Michigan Recycling Coalition EGLE celebrate progress state has made over 40 years - Michigan (.gov) - May 13th, 2022
- Intel 2021 diversity and inclusion report shows small progress amid pandemic - VentureBeat - May 13th, 2022
- Readout of Meeting with Partnership for Central America to Drive Progress on Vice President Harris's Call to Action - The White House - May 13th, 2022
- Surescripts webinar highlights: Interoperability progress depends on how you look at it - MedCity News - May 13th, 2022
- Caterpillar 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Report Highlights Progress with Growth in Diverse Populations - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2022
- Target's Progress on Investing $2 Billion in Black-owned Businesses - Target Corporate - May 13th, 2022
- Evil Dead The Game review in progress hail to the king, baby - The Loadout - May 13th, 2022
- PAYCORE MINERALS DRILLING PROGRESS AND COMPANY TO PARTICIPATE IN CANACCORD GLOBAL METALS & MINING CONFERENCE - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2022
- Pirates advance as seniors shine - The Progress - mvprogress - May 13th, 2022
- Riley Herbst showing progress with Stewart-Haas: Momentum is everything - NASCAR - May 13th, 2022
- New Images Reveal Construction Progress of ODA's POST Rotterdam - ArchDaily - May 13th, 2022
- Decades of progress and promises squandered as rights begin to disappear - Reno Gazette Journal - May 13th, 2022
- Nissan demonstrates strong progress with Nissan NEXT transformation plan - Automotive World - May 13th, 2022
- Wireless LAN Development Progress Analysis Report 2022: Analyze Recently Introduced or Still in Development Advanced Wi-Fi Technologies -... - May 13th, 2022
- Westfield Sees Progress on Several Fronts - Business West - May 13th, 2022
- LUNA, UST re-listed on Binance there is progress - CryptoSlate - May 13th, 2022
- A Great Sign of Progress - The Wave - The Wave, Rockaway's Newspaper Since 1893 - May 13th, 2022
- Russia's Progress in Donbas Means Ukraine Likely Won't Win the War - 19FortyFive - May 13th, 2022
- Swinney gives post-spring injury progress report - The Clemson Insider - May 13th, 2022
- Revenge Of The Mummy's Refurbishment Has Made Some Progress, But There's Still No Update On Brendan Fraser's Fate In The Attraction - CinemaBlend - May 3rd, 2022
- Corn and soybean planting progress still behind five-year averages - Successful Farming - May 3rd, 2022
- Want to Get Involved in Burbank's Decision Making Progress? - MyBurbank.com - May 3rd, 2022
- Wolves realize progress from 1st-round exit not a given - NBA.com - May 3rd, 2022
- Novak Djokovic Hopeful Of Further Progress In Madrid - ATP Tour - May 3rd, 2022