Donald Trump was considering pulling out of Nato and cutting the USs alliance with South Korea if he won the 2020 election, according to an account of his private meetings with top aides.
I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J Trumps Catastrophic Final Year is a behind-the-scenes account of Mr Trumps last year in the White House, authored by Pulitzer Prize-winning reporters Phil Rucker and Carol Leonnig.
In an excerpt published in the Washington Post, Mr Trump is said to have lost the confidence of Defense Secretary Mark Esper. According to the book, Mr Esper confided in colleagues that he was rooting for Joe Biden to win the election because he believed he cared about national security.
Esper couldnt say the same about Trump. In fact, Trump had privately indicated that he would seek to withdraw from Nato and to blow up the US alliance with South Korea, should he win reelection. When those alliances had come up in meetings with Esper and other top aides, some advisers warned Trump that shredding them before the election would be politically dangerous.
Yeah, the second term, Trump had said. Well do it in the second term.
According to the excerpt, episodes recounted in the book are based on interviews with senior Trump administration officials, friends and advisers to the president.
White House scenes from election night are described in detail, including Mr Trumps reaction to seeing Arizona called for Mr Biden on Fox News.
Trump, who had been watching Fox, was livid. He could not fathom that the conservative news network he had long considered an extension of his campaign was the first news organization to call Arizona for Biden. This was a betrayal. His top advisers, who had been in the Map Room at the time, rushed upstairs to see the president.
What the f--- is Fox doing? Trump screamed. Then he barked orders to Kushner: Call Rupert! Call James and Lachlan! And to Jason Miller: Get Sammon. Get Hemmer. Theyve got to reverse this. The president was referring to Fox owner Rupert Murdoch and his sons, James and Lachlan, as well as Bill Sammon, a top news executive at Fox.
Trumps tirade continued. What the f---? he bellowed.
I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J Trumps Catastrophic Final Year is published on 20 July by Penguin Press.
- Joint NATO-EU visit highlights solidarity and cooperation through visit to Baltic region - NATO HQ - November 28th, 2021
- Blinken to visit Latvia and Sweden next week for NATO, OSCE talks - Reuters - November 28th, 2021
- Energize NATO's Response to Russia's Threats Against Ukraine - Defense One - November 28th, 2021
- PAT BUCHANAN: NATO playing with fire on Russia's borders - Sioux City Journal - November 28th, 2021
- EU, NATO pledge to step up co-operation on 'hybrid threats' - 9.84 - November 28th, 2021
- Russias Ground-Breaking MiG-31 Fighter Interceptor Aircraft To Be Heavily Modified Amid Tensions With NATO - EurAsian Times - November 28th, 2021
- NATO will still seek channels with Russia despite spy ... - November 25th, 2021
- Poland asks NATO for more support in the face of Belarus's hybrid attacks - The Times Hub - November 25th, 2021
- NATO to discuss ways to deter Russia: Lithuanian official | TheHill - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- NATO Expansion Is a Bugbear for Both Russia and the West - The Moscow Times - November 25th, 2021
- Russia to Boost Military in Face of 'Increased NATO Activity' - The Moscow Times - November 25th, 2021
- More Afghans who worked with NATO are settling in Allied countries - NATO HQ - November 23rd, 2021
- Podcast series launched on NATO's role in the fight against terrorism - NATO HQ - November 23rd, 2021
- How to Energize NATO's Response to Russia's Threats Against Ukraine - Council on Foreign Relations - November 23rd, 2021
- NATO Sets the Strategy on AI - Lexology - November 23rd, 2021
- Kievs behavior, NATOs activities creating belt of unfriendly countries around Belarus - TASS - November 23rd, 2021
- NATO ignores Russias warnings and continues to fan tension at its borders diplomat - TASS - November 23rd, 2021
- UK, US and Nato vow to find missing F-35 jet before Russia - The National - November 23rd, 2021
- The NATO International Military Staff hosts the EU Military Staff for second edition of joint meeting - NATO HQ - November 17th, 2021
- Russias military movements: What they could mean for Ukraine, Europe, and NATO - European Council on Foreign Relations - November 17th, 2021
- The West faces a test of unity over Russia as tensions intensify between Moscow and NATO - Sky News - November 17th, 2021
- William Hague: The Situation in BiH is serious, NATO Troops should be sent to Brcko and the Airport in Tuzla Sarajevo Times - Sarajevo Times - November 17th, 2021
- Baltic Conference on Defense to focus on future of NATO, threats on northeastern flank - Baltic Times - November 9th, 2021
- The Chinese threat to NATO spheres of influence - Modern Diplomacy - November 9th, 2021
- AUKUS and the US planning to annex of Australia and Japan to the NATOs alliance - Modern Diplomacy - November 9th, 2021
- Reznikov sure Ukraine will join NATO sooner or later - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - November 9th, 2021
- We are strengthening the partnership with NATO, Montenegro to join the Innovation Fund - Marketscreener.com - November 9th, 2021
- Are NATO Attacks In Libya All About The Oil? - Worldcrunch - November 9th, 2021
- Ex-Nato head says Putin wanted to join alliance early on in his rule - The Guardian - November 5th, 2021
- NATO ups the ante on disruptive tech, artificial intelligence - DefenseNews.com - November 5th, 2021
- Nato calls on Belarus to observe international law - The First News - November 5th, 2021
- Today's D Brief: USN needs more $, says SecNav; US, NATO in the Black Sea; $650m in missile sales to the Saudis; And a bit more. - Defense One - November 5th, 2021
- NATO's dictating of its security architecture to APR destructive Foreign Ministry - TASS - November 5th, 2021
- Afghans who worked with NATO start new life in Canada - NATO HQ - November 5th, 2021
- Kuleba thinks Hungary will return to 'loud' support for Ukraine's membership in NATO - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - November 5th, 2021
- www.thehindu.com - November 1st, 2021
- New NATO Secretary General's Special Representative for the Caucasus and Central Asia pays his first visit to the South Caucasus - NATO HQ - November 1st, 2021
- Secretary General stresses strength of NATO's partnership with Sweden - NATO HQ - November 1st, 2021
- Closer to NATO: Benefits of Ukraines participation in NACs Armaments Committee - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - November 1st, 2021
- The Russia-NATO Split, Explained The Organization for World Peace - The Organization for World Peace - November 1st, 2021
- Poland moots plans to make its army one of Nato's largest - bne IntelliNews - November 1st, 2021
- US Navy deploys hospital to caves in Norway amid tension with Russia - Business Insider - November 1st, 2021
- NATO decision on Russian diplomats was seen in Moscow as the last straw to break the camels back - Modern Diplomacy - November 1st, 2021
- NATO releases new Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security - NATO HQ - October 26th, 2021
- NATO Building Integrity team conducts train-the-trainers programme in Iraq - NATO HQ - October 26th, 2021
- Ukraine can go to NATO not only for protection, but also to offer help - expert - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - October 26th, 2021
- Billions of euros to "innovate" the nuclear NATO, by Manlio Dinucci - Voltaire Network - October 26th, 2021
- Allies sign letter of intent on NATO Innovation Fund - Jane's - October 26th, 2021
- Afghanistan: Defence committee chair says NATO 'gave up' on country and did not have 'resolve and commitment' to see mission through - Sky News - October 26th, 2021
- RUSSIA's THREAT to NATO's BALTIC republics - VisualPolitik EN - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - October 26th, 2021
- Visit to Finland and Sweden by the North Atlantic Council - NATO HQ - October 26th, 2021
- NATO's Annual Nuclear Strike Exercise Underway In Southern Europe - The Aviationist - October 26th, 2021
- Russia suspends its mission at NATO, shuts alliance's office ... - October 19th, 2021
- Russia Breaks Diplomatic Ties With NATO - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021
- Pentagon chief: No third country eligible to veto Ukraine's accession to NATO - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - October 19th, 2021
- NATO Deputy Secretary General meets with Hungary's Minister for Innovation and Technology - NATO HQ - October 19th, 2021
- MHP leader warns of alliances within NATO against Turkey - Hurriyet Daily News - October 19th, 2021
- The Chair of the NATO Military Committee visits Iceland - NATO HQ - October 17th, 2021
- More Afghans who worked with NATO being resettled in Allied countries - NATO HQ - October 17th, 2021
- NATO Partners invited to discuss the upcoming Strategic Concept - NATO HQ - October 17th, 2021
- Dodik: if NATO intervenes on the Territory of RS, we will call Friends to protect us - Sarajevo Times - October 17th, 2021
- Israels new ambassador to the EU and NATO will seek to improve and strengthen Israels multilateral and bilateral ties in the Middle East with the EUs... - October 17th, 2021
- KKE: Aggressive agreement, Greece involved in US and NATO war plans | ATHENS 9,84 - 9.84 - October 17th, 2021
- Azerbaijan, NATO discuss issues of partnership - Trend News Agency - October 17th, 2021
- Allies continue their joint efforts to resettle Afghans who worked with NATO - NATO HQ - October 11th, 2021
- Russia open to cooperation with EU, US and NATO on Afghan issue top diplomat - TASS - October 11th, 2021
- Afghanistan: US and Taliban meet for their first talks since NATO withdrawal - iNews - October 11th, 2021
- MoD urged to review concerns over Scots fishing boat safety posed by major NATO exercise - HeraldScotland - October 1st, 2021
- US, NATO, Ukraine hold Rapid Trident exercise to practice offensive operations - TASS - October 1st, 2021
- Why 7.62 NATO Is This Navy SEAL Sniper's Favorite Round and Should Be Yours Too - SOFREP - October 1st, 2021
- Should Russia Be Worried by the New AUKUS Alliance? - The Moscow Times - October 1st, 2021
- China tells NATO chief that allies should stay out of the Indo-Pacific - Yahoo News - September 29th, 2021
- NATO Secretary General welcomes cooperation with the International Energy Agency - NATO HQ - September 29th, 2021
- Kremlin says NATO expansion in Ukraine is a 'red line' for Putin - Reuters - September 29th, 2021
- France and Greece take first step towards EU force in NATO - EURACTIV - September 29th, 2021
- AUKUS, a Reshuffle for International Security and the End of NATO? - Modern Diplomacy - September 29th, 2021
- War crimes prosecutor will not focus on US and Nato forces in Afghan investigation - The National - September 29th, 2021
- Adriatic Charter Conference Promotes Further Expansion of NATO - US European Command - UrduPoint News - September 29th, 2021
- NATO leader: Allies need to stand together amid sub flap - Associated Press - September 27th, 2021
- 'NATO wants China to have more transparency on nuclear program' | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - September 27th, 2021