The UKRINFORM website on Saturday featured a brief article on German ambassador to Ukraine, Anka Feldhusen, discussing the prospects of her host country becoming a NATO member.
Feldhusen has an extensive tenure in the country, having been attached to the German embassy there in various capacities from 1994-1997, 2009-2015 (during the U.S.-engineered coup in 2014) and in her current role from 2019 to the present.
She is cited asserting that one of the main benefits of NATO membership is being able to request Article 5 mutual military assistance. If approved, all other NATO members are obligated to enter the lists on behalf of the country asking for that intervention.
She offered this assessment:
There are 30 countries cooperating in NATO, and this is a consensus organization.I think that Ukraine has very influential partners who support Ukraines ambitions to become a NATO member. But this will not happen tomorrow, because, as I said, it will be a political decision. NATO has always had problems with countries at war. Of course. Because one of the advantages of NATO is the fifth article of the Washington Treaty. And everyone is afraid to be in a direct war with Russia.
Not everyone evidently, as her own comments substantiate. As Ukraine has for the past seven years attempted to depict itself as already being at war with Russia in the Donetsk and Lugansk regions of the Donbass and has accused Russia of occupying Ukrainian territories in those locales and in Crimea, the moment Ukraine joins NATO the latter would ipso facto be at war with Russia. That appears to be what the German envoy was alluding to.
Nevertheless, she added, the military bloc will continue to cooperate with Ukraine on a daily basis and will closely monitor events in and near what it claims to be its borders.
As with Georgia in 2008, NATO would prefer candidate states first resolve the issues of territorial disputes (or as Ukraine refers to Crimea, temporarily occupied territory) and foreign (meaning non-NATO) military personnel on its soil before becoming full members of the global military bloc. Otherwise, as seen above, NATO enter a war the moment the new member enters the alliance.
Whatever one thinks of Russias reabsorption of Crimea in 2014, for the U.S., NATO and the European Union to support Kievs contention that it is temporarily-occupied territory and demand its return to Ukraine is fraught with the highest degree of danger.
The moment Russia would vacate Crimea not only would the Russian Federation suffer the most humiliating, the most crushing defeat in its 30-year history, but its Black Sea Fleet would be evicted from Sevastopol and Russia be denied ready access to the Mediterranean Sea. Critics of Russias Crimean policy since 2014 dont acknowledge that simple and indisputable fact.
In that scenario its not hard to visualize the naval base at Sevastopol being turned over to the U.S. Sixth Fleet and the Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO. Indeed, that seems the inescapable correlate of Russia being compelled to vacate Crimea.
The spokesperson for the Russian Foreign Ministry, Maria Zakharova, responded to the comments of the German ambassador to Ukraine with these comments of her own:
According to the German ambassador, everyone is afraid of a direct war with Russia. So, this is about fear. However, Russias national policy, both domestic and external, is based not on the fear of a war with anyone but on a principal choice in favor of peace and maintaining it. Feel the difference, as the saying goes.
Her interpretation of the Germans comments appear to indicate that even in evoking the danger of a direct war with Russia she was casting the onus of responsibility for such a catastrophe on Russia.
In an all-too-rare display of political backbone, Zakharova added this indictment against the real malefactor in the tragedy:
NATO is unscrupulous. By its own hands, using ambassadors and foreign ministers, they encouraged Maidans [deadly color revolution uprisings] in Ukraine and led the country to the full loss of its sovereignty and the condition of half-disintegration, and rendered the state administration lifeless, set Ukrainians against each other and their own history, and now they recall that they have some legal restrictions. They should have remembered about rights and ethics when they deployed their special services in Ukraines ministries and agencies, designed and sponsored Maidans and trained militants.
Would that the Russian Foreign Ministry had spoken in candid language like that seven years ago.
The spokeswoman also addressed the 32-nation Sea Breeze wars games to be co-hosted by the U.S. and Ukraine in the Black Sea starting tomorrow with these no less uncompromising words:
We understand very well that these drills have two global goals. The first one is endless destabilization along the Russian border. This is a provocation for the sake of a provocation, they are trying to get a response. And there needs to be a response, because this is a sovereign state, a sovereign border. To constantly make this response come off as aggressive actions is provocative activity.
The second [goal] is to transport various types of equipment and arms to Ukrainian territory and leave them there.
The German ambassador to Ukraine was being less than forthcoming when she spoke of NATO being in direct war with Russia only if Ukraine joined the bloc; NATO is daily inching closer to such a war even preceding that eventuality.
Rick Rozoff is a contributing editor at Antiwar.com. He has been involved in anti-war and anti-interventionist work in various capacities for forty years. He lives in Chicago, Illinois. He is the manager of Stop NATO. This originally appeared at Anti-Bellum.View all posts by Rick Rozoff
Read the original:
German Envoy on Ukraine Joining NATO: Everyone Afraid of ...
- Russia suspends its mission at NATO, shuts alliance's office ... - October 19th, 2021
- Russia Breaks Diplomatic Ties With NATO - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021
- Pentagon chief: No third country eligible to veto Ukraine's accession to NATO - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - October 19th, 2021
- NATO Deputy Secretary General meets with Hungary's Minister for Innovation and Technology - NATO HQ - October 19th, 2021
- MHP leader warns of alliances within NATO against Turkey - Hurriyet Daily News - October 19th, 2021
- The Chair of the NATO Military Committee visits Iceland - NATO HQ - October 17th, 2021
- More Afghans who worked with NATO being resettled in Allied countries - NATO HQ - October 17th, 2021
- NATO Partners invited to discuss the upcoming Strategic Concept - NATO HQ - October 17th, 2021
- Dodik: if NATO intervenes on the Territory of RS, we will call Friends to protect us - Sarajevo Times - October 17th, 2021
- Israels new ambassador to the EU and NATO will seek to improve and strengthen Israels multilateral and bilateral ties in the Middle East with the EUs... - October 17th, 2021
- KKE: Aggressive agreement, Greece involved in US and NATO war plans | ATHENS 9,84 - 9.84 - October 17th, 2021
- Azerbaijan, NATO discuss issues of partnership - Trend News Agency - October 17th, 2021
- Allies continue their joint efforts to resettle Afghans who worked with NATO - NATO HQ - October 11th, 2021
- Russia open to cooperation with EU, US and NATO on Afghan issue top diplomat - TASS - October 11th, 2021
- Afghanistan: US and Taliban meet for their first talks since NATO withdrawal - iNews - October 11th, 2021
- MoD urged to review concerns over Scots fishing boat safety posed by major NATO exercise - HeraldScotland - October 1st, 2021
- US, NATO, Ukraine hold Rapid Trident exercise to practice offensive operations - TASS - October 1st, 2021
- Why 7.62 NATO Is This Navy SEAL Sniper's Favorite Round and Should Be Yours Too - SOFREP - October 1st, 2021
- Should Russia Be Worried by the New AUKUS Alliance? - The Moscow Times - October 1st, 2021
- China tells NATO chief that allies should stay out of the Indo-Pacific - Yahoo News - September 29th, 2021
- NATO Secretary General welcomes cooperation with the International Energy Agency - NATO HQ - September 29th, 2021
- Kremlin says NATO expansion in Ukraine is a 'red line' for Putin - Reuters - September 29th, 2021
- France and Greece take first step towards EU force in NATO - EURACTIV - September 29th, 2021
- AUKUS, a Reshuffle for International Security and the End of NATO? - Modern Diplomacy - September 29th, 2021
- War crimes prosecutor will not focus on US and Nato forces in Afghan investigation - The National - September 29th, 2021
- Adriatic Charter Conference Promotes Further Expansion of NATO - US European Command - UrduPoint News - September 29th, 2021
- NATO leader: Allies need to stand together amid sub flap - Associated Press - September 27th, 2021
- 'NATO wants China to have more transparency on nuclear program' | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - September 27th, 2021
- NATO still living with consequences Article 5 invocation after 9/11 - Business Insider - September 27th, 2021
- Thirty Allied Chiefs of Defence discuss the changing character of warfare - NATO HQ - September 27th, 2021
- With the Taliban in control of NATO bases, arm smugglers in Pakistans borderlands hope business is back - The Independent - September 27th, 2021
- What Does NATO Do? > U.S. Department of Defense > Story - September 16th, 2021
- Did The West Promise Moscow That NATO Would Not Expand? Well ... - September 16th, 2021
- Misaligned in Mesopotamia: Conflicting Ambitions in NATO Mission Iraq - War on the Rocks - September 16th, 2021
- Military expert tells how NATO helping Ukraine strengthen its defense capabilities - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - September 16th, 2021
- NATO head says alliance signed off on US withdrawal from Afghanistan | TheHill - The Hill - September 16th, 2021
- NATO Turkey and proxies bomb and cleanse Christians and other minorities in Syria - Modern Tokyo Times - September 16th, 2021
- Two NATO Fighters Accidentally Flew Behind The Iron Curtain 60 Years Ago Today - The Drive - September 16th, 2021
- Meet the crew of the USS New York, a ship that commemorates 9/11 - NATO HQ - September 16th, 2021
- Europe Still Doesn't Have a Realistic Alternative to NATO - World Politics Review - September 16th, 2021
- NATO advances next-generation helicopter project as NGRC team grows to seven nations - Flightglobal - September 16th, 2021
- The U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan has harsh lessons for Turkey and NATO - Ahval - September 2nd, 2021
- NATO has a responsibility to save Afghans - The Japan Times - September 2nd, 2021
- We'll not forget them: Nato chief on Afghans left behind after US troops left - Hindustan Times - September 2nd, 2021
- Former NATO Envoy Says Islamic State Is Afghanistans Biggest Threat - Gandhara - September 2nd, 2021
- Denmark and Portugal take over NATO's Baltic Air Policing Mission from Spain - Baltic Times - September 2nd, 2021
- Former NATO chief writes letter to Lithuania backing ties with Taiwan - Taiwan News - September 2nd, 2021
- Taliban Mocks NATO Allies By Parading Around Mock Coffins - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - September 2nd, 2021
- NATO chief gives medal to alliance's representative in Afghanistan for work on evacuations - United News of India - September 2nd, 2021
- I served with the Nato mission in Afghanistan it was a bloated mess - The Guardian - August 30th, 2021
- This Conglomerate of Countries Could Change the Face of NATO - The National Interest - August 30th, 2021
- After the Afghanistan Disaster, NATO Is Already Planning the Next War - Jacobin magazine - August 30th, 2021
- Ukraine Marches With NATO Allies on 30th Independence Anniversary - The Moscow Times - August 30th, 2021
- NATO blames the 'failure of Afghan leadership' for Taliban's swift takeover - CNBC - August 18th, 2021
- In 2007, NATO Needed A Warlord To Beat the Taliban. Signs Of Eventual Collapse Were Everywhere. - Forbes - August 18th, 2021
- Observers from four NATO countries to take part in International Army Games Shoigu - TASS - August 18th, 2021
- Gorbachev says US, NATO had no chance of success in Afghanistan | TheHill - The Hill - August 18th, 2021
- After US and NATO Withdrawal, Afghanistan's Future Is Unclear - IDN InDepthNews | Analysis That Matters - August 18th, 2021
- 'Greatest Defeat For NATO In History': Here's How US Allies, Enemies Reacted To The Collapse Of Afghanistan - The Free Press - August 18th, 2021
- Nato now more involved in the militarisation of Ukraine than ever before - The Citizen - August 18th, 2021
- Finland to Grant Residence Permits to 220 Afghans Working for Finnish Authorities, NATO & EU Due to Situation in Afghanistan -... - August 18th, 2021
- Ukraine's application to join NATOs CCDCOE to be considered this fall - Ukrinform. Ukraine and world news - August 18th, 2021
- Taking security for granted? NATO and the Baltic states - ERR News - August 18th, 2021
- NATO says it is helping keep Kabul airport open for evacuations - Reuters - August 16th, 2021
- Norman Nato: To execute the perfect race is a very special feeling - The Checkered Flag - August 16th, 2021
- Afghanistan crisis: Defence Secretary Ben Wallace insists Nato forces not going back to Kabul as Taliban take control - The Scotsman - August 16th, 2021
- News: NATO Allies stand together against wildfires, 12-Aug.-2021 - NATO HQ - August 16th, 2021
- The Swedish are coming! | The American Legion - The American Legion - August 16th, 2021
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) - Member States ... - July 25th, 2021
- Statement by the North Atlantic Council in solidarity with those affected by recent malicious cyber activities including the Microsoft Exchange Server... - July 25th, 2021
- 18 Biggest Pros and Cons of NATO ConnectUS - July 25th, 2021
- L3Harris Technologies Developing Future NATO Surveillance Concepts with International Team - Business Wire - July 25th, 2021
- NATO welcomes stronger cooperation with the Republic of Korea - NATO HQ - July 25th, 2021
- Russian actions in Black Sea show 'increasing aggression,' says top US admiral in the region - Stars and Stripes - July 25th, 2021
- BNN summary of the week: Disciplinary action at Ministry of the Interior. In search of NATO secretary general. Teachers at risk - bnn-news.com - July 25th, 2021
- Statement of Senate Intel Chair Mark R. Warner on U.S., NATO, and EU allies and partners publicly attributing Microsoft hack to Chinese... - July 25th, 2021
- Associated Trio to ramp up cooperation on Black Sea security - EURACTIV - July 25th, 2021
- NATO Partners are invaluable assets to our security and our Alliance, underscores director of the NATO International Military Staff - NATO HQ - July 14th, 2021
- NATO Secretary General discusses cooperation with Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina - NATO HQ - July 14th, 2021
- Charles Djou and Adam Kinzinger on the need to expand NATO to Asia - The Economist - July 14th, 2021