Click here to watch the episode.
When I found out I was meeting a Satanist, the first words that came to mind were devil worshipper and evil.
I had no idea what to expect.
Will he cast a spell on me? Will he try to summon the devil in front of me? What is going to happen?
I grew up in a Catholic household and went to a Catholic school. So, I refrained from telling my parents beforehand, for obvious reasons.
My grandparents are also super religious. If they found out I was meeting a Satanist, theyd have a heart attack.
I met a Satanist from Wollongong, David, while we were filming the new LIFE: Done Differently series.
At first, you wouldnt think David is a Satanist. He seemed like a normal, nice man.
David works in corporate finance by day and is very open about the fact he is a member of the Church of Satan.
Everyone in his workplace knows hes a Satanist.
I bet his employers would be afraid of firing him.
I was surprised by how wrong my perceptions of Satanism were.
I thought Satanists pray and worship the devil, the same way Catholics, pray and worship God.
I was wrong.
Satanism is a religion, a philosophy, a way of life.
As David describes Satanism is, in a nutshell, a modern, rational philosophy of self-interest.
Its based on the Satanic Bible written by American Anton LaVey published in 1969.
Anton LaVey founded the church of Satan in 1966, formulated on his own philosophy.
The Devil or Satan is not so much seen as a God to Satanists, more so, a symbol.
David also tells me that satan, is just an ancient word that means in opposition to. So back in the day, if you werent a Christian, you were satan. The opponent.
So the character of the Devil with the red horns as we know it, just evolved over time.
And as a philosophy, it seems like, you are either born with the Satanic view of life, or not.
As David says, he was already living the satanic life before reading the book. He just became aware that he was a Satanist, after reading the book.
Satanism is a very self-focused, selfish way of life.
Its always looking out for yourself first and acting in your best interests. Its a very egotistical way of living.
Treat everyone with respect, but if someone does wrong by you, destroy them.
When I asked David about Satanims magic and spells, he said he indeed cast some destructive spells.
He once threw a curse on a neighbour, because that particular neighbour was making loud noises at night, while David swas studying at university.
A month later, he committed suicide.
David didnt feel guilty. Most people would think, what a horrible person!
But did David do anything wrong?
As David says, he didnt go up there and murder his neighbour. He didnt even inflict any violence. He got his anger out on his own, through a satanic ritual, and let nature take care of the rest.
David just wanted the noise to stop. He got what he wanted.
After hearing that, I was quite anxious when I found out David was taking me into the forest to guide me through a satanic ritual.
David says satanic rituals are basically a cathartic release.
Theyre melodrama, theyre a performance.
The fire, the costume, the tools are all there to set a mood, a scene, an energy.
But, as much as it is a performance, David believes rituals have real-world consequences. Like in the case of his old neighbour!
Its like a version of The Secret - you put a wish or want out into the universe, and let nature take its course.
David prefers to keep the location of where he performs his satanic rituals, a secret.
I had to walk approximately 40 minutes through a forest to get to the location.
I was feeling on edge, I knew how serious David takes his satanic rituals.
When I finally got to the location, David wasnt impressed with me, as I was wearing a salmon pink shirt. I get where he was coming from, a man in a salmon pink shirt yelling HAIL SATAN, cant be taken seriously.
Luckily, he brought along a spare black cape that I was able to wear for the ritual.
There was a lot of set up and preparation involved in the ritual.
Getting the fire started, setting up the altar with the flags, the chaliceI was not expecting this much effort to go into the preparation.
Before I knew it, bells were ringing, and the ritual had started!
There was fire. There was drinking out of a chalice. There was David yelling HAIL SATAN. So much was going on. I could feel the energy around us.
The satanic ritual was a huge adrenaline buzz for me.
I even got to point a sword at the altar and ask for something I want in life, which youll have to watch the episode, to find out what that was.
I was so worried about my Grandma though, as I was yelling HAIL SATAN during the ritual.
I can see how a Satanist might benefit from a satanic ritual. They can release their anger; they get an adrenaline rush, express themselves and forget about all their problems for that short period.
We can all learn from Satanists. Instead of fuelling that anger on the person we are annoyed with, we can look at other ways to release our anger.
For Satanists, thats a satanic ritual.
For me, that might be simply, going for a run, or going to the gym.
We can also learn to put ourselves first, more often.
Next time youre exhausted and really dont want to go to that dinner party, but feel guilty not showing up, just ask yourself, what would a Satanist do?
They definitely wouldnt go to that dinner party.
See the original post here:
- Yule - Wikipedia - December 16th, 2022
- The Satanic Bible - Wikipedia - November 27th, 2022
- Pentagram - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Wicca - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Early Norwegian black metal scene - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Satanic panic - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Black Sun (symbol) - Wikipedia - October 23rd, 2022
- The Occult and Satanism in America - The American TFP - October 23rd, 2022
- Satan - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Witch trials in the early modern period - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Left-hand path and right-hand path - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Putin Accuses West of Satanism and Announces Annexations in ... - October 6th, 2022
- Putin Annexation Speech: The Russian Leader's Denunciations of Western Imperialism Are Hypocritical - Foreign Policy - October 6th, 2022
- Earth religion - Wikipedia - August 15th, 2022
- F.A.Q. Fundamental Beliefs - Church of Satan - August 15th, 2022
- Lucis (Lucifer) Trust Exposing Satanism and Witchcraft - June 3rd, 2022
- Modern Witchcraft: It May Not Be What You Think - June 3rd, 2022
- Celebrities involved in Satanism, who are they? - Legit.ng - June 3rd, 2022
- Satanism | occult practice | Britannica - December 19th, 2021
- Albert Pike Exposing Satanism and Witchcraft - December 5th, 2021
- Demon Names and how to Identify them Exposing Satanism ... - December 5th, 2021
- The Anatomy of Satanism in Hollywood - James True - October 7th, 2021
- The All Seeing Eye and the Occult Meaning - Exposing Satanism - October 7th, 2021
- 10 Forms Of Satanism That Exist Around The World - Listverse - October 7th, 2021
- Frank Zappas favourite books about the occult - Far Out Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- Is False Positive a True Story? Is the Hulu Movie Based on Real Life? - The Cinemaholic - June 28th, 2021
- Satanism - Founders, Philosophies & Branches - HISTORY - June 15th, 2021
- Music Styles Live and Die, But Rock is Forever Heres Why - Music Mayhem Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- The Deification of Donald J. Trump: The Prince of Pieces - The Good Men Project - March 31st, 2021
- Every Johnny Depp Movie Ranked From Worst to Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Far-right conspiracy QAnon surging in Europe as fanatics plot return of Nazi Reich and link Satanists to - The Sun - February 2nd, 2021
- Satanic Temple Abortion Ritual Advertised on Miami Billboard - Miami New Times - January 1st, 2021
- The Boomer Rock Renaissance 2020 Never Saw Coming - Vulture - December 26th, 2020
- Modern Satanism | Spiral Nature Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- The Evolution of Modern Satanism in the United States - December 6th, 2020
- The Story Of Black Metal In 14 Songs Kerrang! - Kerrang! - December 6th, 2020
- Fact check: There is no evidence to support claims that Lady Gaga is a witch - USA TODAY - November 7th, 2020
- BERNSTEIN: We live in two different Americas - RU Daily Targum - November 7th, 2020
- The History Behind the Ouija Board is Both Pure and Evil - Nerdist - October 27th, 2020
- What It Really Means To Be A Satanist - Kerrang! - March 5th, 2020
- Pittchcraft: The true history of Wicca and Witchcraft - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 5th, 2020
- 10 Bands Who Have Been Banned By The Church - Kerrang! - March 5th, 2020
- CHLOE WYMA ON THE ART OF AGNES PELTON - Artforum - March 5th, 2020
- A Modern Witch's Guide to Paris: Where to Find the Occult and Esoteric - Frenchly - February 4th, 2020
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Conjures Up a Strong Season 3 - The Spool - January 27th, 2020
- Best Documentaries of '19 - Fort Worth Weekly - January 17th, 2020
- Sam Dunn: The Journey of the World's Most Famous Headbanger - Daily Hawker - January 17th, 2020
- Fears Hampshire Horse Ripper has returned after 26 years and psycho culprit could be next Ian Brady - The Sun - January 14th, 2020
- Occult symbols found on New Forest animals killed, and in church vandalism - The Wild Hunt - December 6th, 2019
- Concert Review: Spinal Taps Derek Smalls Revives Mock-Rock at the Wiltern - Variety - November 11th, 2019
- Curro pupil speaks: 'Stop the satanic panic, art is meant to provoke thought' - News24 - October 27th, 2019
- Creepy countdown the 20 scariest horror movies of all time - NNY360 - October 27th, 2019
- What does it mean to be a modern witch? 3 real-life witches share their experiences - Vogue India - October 23rd, 2019
- Judas Priests Rob Halford: The metal community has always been inclusive, yet weve been kicked around like a football over the years - NME.com - October 23rd, 2019
- The 20 scariest horror movies of all time - The Columbus Dispatch - October 20th, 2019
- What are the 20 scariest horror movies of all time? - Peoria Journal Star - October 20th, 2019
- I'm a founder of the Satanic Temple. Don't blame Satan for white supremacy. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Wash Post column cheers Satan, jeers Christians - WND.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Devil's Cradle: The Story of Finnish Black Metal - The Gauntlet - August 25th, 2017
- Court orders new trial in satanic sacrificial murder case - RT - August 25th, 2017
- We Asked Diehard Swedish Metalheads What They Consider to be 'Metal' - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- A Brief But Very Informative History of How Fascists Infiltrated Punk and Metal - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- Why Some Christians Are Calling White Supremacy 'Satanic' - HuffPost - August 20th, 2017
- Satanic Leader Calls Upon Christian America to Face Their Contribution to Racist Right - Patheos (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- The Wild Hunt | Tag Archive | paranormal investigation - The Wild Hunt - August 16th, 2017
- Nottinghamshire sees increase in Witchcraft complaints - The Wild Hunt - August 11th, 2017
- Secular doctors are realizing that demonic possession is real, and needs special attention - Catholic Online - August 8th, 2017
- Nocturnes Mist announce Sept 15th release of "Diabolical Baptism" - The Gauntlet - August 6th, 2017
- 'Embrace ICT with caution' - The Herald - August 4th, 2017
- Kangaroo Court: Of Chief Lundu orders to ban ECG church - Nyasa Times - August 3rd, 2017
- How the Satanic Temple Became a Queer Haven - VICE - July 24th, 2017
- Coltrain: Satanism and paganism are not the same thing - The Daily Iowan - July 20th, 2017
- theartsdesk on Vinyl 30: Moby, The Beach Boys, Napalm Death, John Coltrane and more - The Arts Desk - July 13th, 2017
- Satanism Making Comeback Through Witchcraft and Atheism: Rabbi - Breaking Israel News - June 27th, 2017
- Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2017
- Outlast 2 Garishly Exploits Your Sexual Hangups For Horror - Paste Magazine - June 24th, 2017
- Ritual Skulls and Other Magical Objects, in Photos - Atlas Obscura - June 24th, 2017
- Christians and Jews Combat Witches' Summer Solstice Satanic Spells on Trump - CBN News - June 22nd, 2017
- Paganism Is Back! Now What Are We Christians Going to Do? - Patheos (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- The Occult Roots of Modernism - The New Yorker - June 19th, 2017