This article originally appeared on Noisey Germany.
I used to play in a metal band as a tender, bright-eyed teen. Back in the day, my bandmates stopped me from buying a yellow hat at the last minute because it wasn't metal. The question has never left me: What is metal and what isn't? I recently went to the Swedish Gefle Metal Festival to finally get some answers to this question. During interviews with roughly 50 participants, I discoveredamong other thingsthat the majority of them agreed with my former bandmates: The color yellow is not metal.
By contrast, these festival goers had metal all over their faces: Roughly 66.6 percent of them sported a thick beard. I quickly realized how important and metal it is to know about, first and foremost, metal. But to also have a working understanding of metal-affiliated topics like religion, history, swords, death, dragons, and meat. If you can effectively trump another person's knowledge of these topics, you get metal cred. While this may sound reminiscent of the hipster mentality, don't be fooledmetal culture is stable, and doesn't blow like a flag in the wind and reinvent itself every Wednesday.
The occasional pissing contest of expert knowledge is also pretty metal. But generally, these festival goers are endearing nerds with a slightly daunting faade who can survive with minimal intellectual and emotional stimulation. The music almost entirely satisfies those needs, but community is just as important in metal culture.
So, I stepped into this mysterious world of smoke, beer, blood, and guttural screams. Here's what I found:
Satanism (34%) Nobody is as metal as Satan. He's so often described as the driving force in so many different contexts throughout the genre that we can confidently deem him the greatest muse of all. The devil even has his own musical interval, the tritone.
Asatru/Neopaganism (30%) For those who aren't as down with Satanism, Asatrualso known as Heathenry or Germanic Neopaganismprovides a nice alternative that perfectly aligns with conventional metal themes. After all, the Vikings were pagans, and their flowing hair, thick beards, and battle axes are unequivocally metal. Even the TV show, Vikings, was mentioned on several occasions. Amon Amarth, arguably the most well known Viking Metalers, were among the headliners at Gefle, so it's safe to say there were some modern Vikings who participated in my study.
Atheism/Non-religious (17%) A decent percentage of participants don't want metal to be defined by ideologies that just aren't metal. After all, metal is metal and nothing else.
The Goat (30%) Goats have beards and hornsand, as it turns outare totally awesome metal singers. Eliphas Levis illustrated Baphomet as a sabbatic goat, and Aleister Crowley's Baphomet of Levi became a central figure within the cosmology of Thelema. The Church of Satan later adopted the Sigil of Baphomet as its official symbol. Based on that objective criteria, that's when the goat officially became metal. This also means that the Swedish city of Gvle, where the festival took place, is the most metal location in the countrymaybe even in the entire world, too. Gvle has constructed a giant straw goat every Christmas since 1966 and arsonists usually let the whole thing go up in flames every year. Giant, flaming goats are almost too metal, Sweden.
The Wolf (22%)The wolf came in second place, taking lead over the cat, the dachshund, and the sloth, who were all tied for third. The dog's wild ancestor isn't just popular in Viking metal and black metalhe also flees whenever he hears Creed's music, which is a pretty damn metal move.
Any back-breaking trade, but especially forging/welding/construction work/etc. (39%) What's more metal than heavy machinery, fire, and grime? Some people insisted it was more metal to play metal, but everyone knows that music, much like playing golf, is a paid hobby and not a real job.
Playing and/or listening to metal (37%) See? Like I said, a hobby.
Boozing (24%)Because every subculture enjoys getting plastered while listening to their favorite music. In this case, even metal is exceptionally unexceptional.
Classical music (30%)When Beethoven composed Symphony No. 5, he birthed the oldest and most traditional metal-riff. Edvard Grieg was also pretty metal, considering he set Ibsen's play Peer Gynt to musicand that was about trolls. Additionally, classical musicians always seem to dress up like vampires from horror movies, drink red wine, and drain the life out of you by being simultaneously condescending and uninteresting. They subjugate themselves to a severe-looking ruler with an awe-inspiring stick and obsessively shred every day. Overall, high-grade metal. Strings and wind instruments like to be inserted in certain metal sub-genres and, once in a while, larger bands make the mistake of performing with an entire orchestra.
Alcohol (100%), specifically beer (88%) Do you see someone drinking beer? Is that person wearing camo shorts or a kilt with a black band t-shirt? Don't hesitate: Salute them with your miniature pitchfork made of French fries to identify yourself as a fellow metalhead, and then headbang away. Maybe they'll even invite you to drink with them.
Meat (63%)Blood, death, burning. Meat is nature's metal. Even the simple act of eating is metal. As this Tumblr user explains, "Eating is so badass. I mean, you put something in a cavity where you smash it and destroy it with 32 protruding bones and then a meat tentacle pushes it into a pool of acid and after a few hours you absorb its essence and transform it into energy just wow."
No fruit at all (41%) "Even the thought of describing fruit as being metal is wrong," one pollster curtly replied when I asked which fruit was the most metal. Another one said, "Fruit has to do with God, and God is bad." Someone else retorted, "I haven't eaten any fruit since I was five years old." Maybe this staunch rejection of fruit is somehow related to the aforementioned ideological freedom? Case in point: There's such a thing as Fruitarianism.
Bananas (14%) This year, former bandmates of the Swedish band Ghost brought forth a lawsuit against the current frontman, Papa Emeritus. The court documents reveal that these sinister-looking masked performers are actually humans like the rest of us: The defamatory points of contention range from inadequate laundry facilities to rogue bananas (one member of the crew is allergic). If bananas have the power to destroy a band's image, perhaps they also qualify as being metal.
Blood oranges (11%)Blood is obviously metal and, as fans and musicians alike know, the "orange grip" is one of the distinguishing features of the genre.
Black (77%) Yeah, we all saw it coming. Even people who consider Creed heavy metal think black is the most metal color. I really only wanted to see if other colors stood a chance. Yellow, for example. Red (12%) Red is metal because blood is metal. Further evidence of this: The red blood pigment hemoglobin is a metalloprotein.
Yellow (<2%) I ended up buying a black hat with red designs, back then. Per the results of my study, this was an acceptable choice. A yellow hat in and of itself wouldn't have been metal, but maybe Bathory's satanic goat could have saved it.
None (68%) Political parties aren't metal. Leif Pagrotsky (9%) When the Swedish social democrat and Minister of Culture, Leif Pagrotsky, went to see Dissection live in 2005, he became "Leffe" to his metal-loving compatriots. Since he's only about 5'3", a helpful circus artist put him on her shoulders so he could have a better view. To this day, he is an honorary member of a death metal study group in Linkping, and Leffe's legend continues to live on in Gvle.
Follow Noisey on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
See the rest here:
We Asked Diehard Swedish Metalheads What They Consider to be 'Metal' - Noisey
- Yule - Wikipedia - December 16th, 2022
- The Satanic Bible - Wikipedia - November 27th, 2022
- Pentagram - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Wicca - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Early Norwegian black metal scene - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Satanic panic - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2022
- Black Sun (symbol) - Wikipedia - October 23rd, 2022
- The Occult and Satanism in America - The American TFP - October 23rd, 2022
- Satan - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Witch trials in the early modern period - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Left-hand path and right-hand path - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Putin Accuses West of Satanism and Announces Annexations in ... - October 6th, 2022
- Putin Annexation Speech: The Russian Leader's Denunciations of Western Imperialism Are Hypocritical - Foreign Policy - October 6th, 2022
- Earth religion - Wikipedia - August 15th, 2022
- F.A.Q. Fundamental Beliefs - Church of Satan - August 15th, 2022
- Lucis (Lucifer) Trust Exposing Satanism and Witchcraft - June 3rd, 2022
- Modern Witchcraft: It May Not Be What You Think - June 3rd, 2022
- Celebrities involved in Satanism, who are they? - Legit.ng - June 3rd, 2022
- Satanism | occult practice | Britannica - December 19th, 2021
- Albert Pike Exposing Satanism and Witchcraft - December 5th, 2021
- Demon Names and how to Identify them Exposing Satanism ... - December 5th, 2021
- The Anatomy of Satanism in Hollywood - James True - October 7th, 2021
- The All Seeing Eye and the Occult Meaning - Exposing Satanism - October 7th, 2021
- 10 Forms Of Satanism That Exist Around The World - Listverse - October 7th, 2021
- Frank Zappas favourite books about the occult - Far Out Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- Is False Positive a True Story? Is the Hulu Movie Based on Real Life? - The Cinemaholic - June 28th, 2021
- Satanism - Founders, Philosophies & Branches - HISTORY - June 15th, 2021
- Music Styles Live and Die, But Rock is Forever Heres Why - Music Mayhem Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- The Deification of Donald J. Trump: The Prince of Pieces - The Good Men Project - March 31st, 2021
- Church of Satan and Satanism in Australia explained: from rituals to religion with the controversial group - 7NEWS.com.au - March 3rd, 2021
- Every Johnny Depp Movie Ranked From Worst to Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Far-right conspiracy QAnon surging in Europe as fanatics plot return of Nazi Reich and link Satanists to - The Sun - February 2nd, 2021
- Satanic Temple Abortion Ritual Advertised on Miami Billboard - Miami New Times - January 1st, 2021
- The Boomer Rock Renaissance 2020 Never Saw Coming - Vulture - December 26th, 2020
- Modern Satanism | Spiral Nature Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- The Evolution of Modern Satanism in the United States - December 6th, 2020
- The Story Of Black Metal In 14 Songs Kerrang! - Kerrang! - December 6th, 2020
- Fact check: There is no evidence to support claims that Lady Gaga is a witch - USA TODAY - November 7th, 2020
- BERNSTEIN: We live in two different Americas - RU Daily Targum - November 7th, 2020
- The History Behind the Ouija Board is Both Pure and Evil - Nerdist - October 27th, 2020
- What It Really Means To Be A Satanist - Kerrang! - March 5th, 2020
- Pittchcraft: The true history of Wicca and Witchcraft - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 5th, 2020
- 10 Bands Who Have Been Banned By The Church - Kerrang! - March 5th, 2020
- CHLOE WYMA ON THE ART OF AGNES PELTON - Artforum - March 5th, 2020
- A Modern Witch's Guide to Paris: Where to Find the Occult and Esoteric - Frenchly - February 4th, 2020
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Conjures Up a Strong Season 3 - The Spool - January 27th, 2020
- Best Documentaries of '19 - Fort Worth Weekly - January 17th, 2020
- Sam Dunn: The Journey of the World's Most Famous Headbanger - Daily Hawker - January 17th, 2020
- Fears Hampshire Horse Ripper has returned after 26 years and psycho culprit could be next Ian Brady - The Sun - January 14th, 2020
- Occult symbols found on New Forest animals killed, and in church vandalism - The Wild Hunt - December 6th, 2019
- Concert Review: Spinal Taps Derek Smalls Revives Mock-Rock at the Wiltern - Variety - November 11th, 2019
- Curro pupil speaks: 'Stop the satanic panic, art is meant to provoke thought' - News24 - October 27th, 2019
- Creepy countdown the 20 scariest horror movies of all time - NNY360 - October 27th, 2019
- What does it mean to be a modern witch? 3 real-life witches share their experiences - Vogue India - October 23rd, 2019
- Judas Priests Rob Halford: The metal community has always been inclusive, yet weve been kicked around like a football over the years - NME.com - October 23rd, 2019
- The 20 scariest horror movies of all time - The Columbus Dispatch - October 20th, 2019
- What are the 20 scariest horror movies of all time? - Peoria Journal Star - October 20th, 2019
- I'm a founder of the Satanic Temple. Don't blame Satan for white supremacy. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Wash Post column cheers Satan, jeers Christians - WND.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Devil's Cradle: The Story of Finnish Black Metal - The Gauntlet - August 25th, 2017
- Court orders new trial in satanic sacrificial murder case - RT - August 25th, 2017
- A Brief But Very Informative History of How Fascists Infiltrated Punk and Metal - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- Why Some Christians Are Calling White Supremacy 'Satanic' - HuffPost - August 20th, 2017
- Satanic Leader Calls Upon Christian America to Face Their Contribution to Racist Right - Patheos (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- The Wild Hunt | Tag Archive | paranormal investigation - The Wild Hunt - August 16th, 2017
- Nottinghamshire sees increase in Witchcraft complaints - The Wild Hunt - August 11th, 2017
- Secular doctors are realizing that demonic possession is real, and needs special attention - Catholic Online - August 8th, 2017
- Nocturnes Mist announce Sept 15th release of "Diabolical Baptism" - The Gauntlet - August 6th, 2017
- 'Embrace ICT with caution' - The Herald - August 4th, 2017
- Kangaroo Court: Of Chief Lundu orders to ban ECG church - Nyasa Times - August 3rd, 2017
- How the Satanic Temple Became a Queer Haven - VICE - July 24th, 2017
- Coltrain: Satanism and paganism are not the same thing - The Daily Iowan - July 20th, 2017
- theartsdesk on Vinyl 30: Moby, The Beach Boys, Napalm Death, John Coltrane and more - The Arts Desk - July 13th, 2017
- Satanism Making Comeback Through Witchcraft and Atheism: Rabbi - Breaking Israel News - June 27th, 2017
- Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2017
- Outlast 2 Garishly Exploits Your Sexual Hangups For Horror - Paste Magazine - June 24th, 2017
- Ritual Skulls and Other Magical Objects, in Photos - Atlas Obscura - June 24th, 2017
- Christians and Jews Combat Witches' Summer Solstice Satanic Spells on Trump - CBN News - June 22nd, 2017
- Paganism Is Back! Now What Are We Christians Going to Do? - Patheos (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- The Occult Roots of Modernism - The New Yorker - June 19th, 2017