What is Satanism? Is it full of Devil-worshiping maniacs who sacrifice children? Not exactly. True, there have been several Satanic cults that have performed terrible deeds, but like any other religion, Satanism can be divided into several different branches and sects. The most famous form of Satanism is Anton LaVeys Church of Satan in San Francisco. They are not literal believers, and Satan simply represents the adversary to traditional Christian values, e.g. indulgence vs. abstinence or revenge vs. turning the other cheek.
However, there are many other forms of Satanism that havent quite achieved the same fame as the Church of Satan. Some of them are atheistic like LaVeys version, while others do see the Devil as a literal being. Some of them have received some mainstream attention, but others have remained extremely obscure. Regardless, followers of the Left-Hand Path have devised many ways to express their own version of Satanism. Here are just a few.
The Satanic Temple is an organization that probably wouldnt fit most peoples idea of what a Satanist is. After all, their goals are to encourage benevolence and empathy and embrace practical common sense and justice. Much like Anton LaVeys version of Satanism, the Satanic Temple doesnt actually believe in or worship Satan. They see him as a symbola rebellious figure against tyranny and authority.
Regardless of their lack of belief, the Satanic Temple considers itself to be a religion and believes that religion should be based on science and critical thinking rather than supernatural or superstitious claims. To them, Satanism provides them with everything that a religion should providea sense of identity, symbolic practices, and a community of those with similar beliefs.
The Satanic Temple has gained notoriety by pushing the boundaries of free speech and having a go at fundamentalist Christians. The group is most famous for trying to erect a statue of Baphomet in Detroit because the city had approved a statue of the Ten Commandments. The logic was that if Christians were allowed to publicly profess their religion, then they should, as well.
After the Hobby Lobby decision, which allows religious organizations to opt out of providing birth control, the Satanic Temple decided to use their own status as a religion to challenge US laws. They claimed that informed consent laws, which require doctors to share state-approved information to a woman before she has an abortion, violate their religious beliefs because some of the shared information has been deemed unscientific by the members.
The Satanic Temple also held a Pink Mass in 2013 at the grave site of Fred Phelpss mother. Phelps is the head of the Westboro Baptist Church, an extremist Christian group that is notorious for their opposition to homosexuality. The Pink Mass involved gay couples kissing in order to make Phelpss mother gay in the afterlife.
Luciferians are rather similar to LaVeyan Satanists. Most of them are nonreligious and simply treat Lucifer as a symbol. The 11 Luciferian Points of Power, provided by the Greater Church of Lucifer, illustrate how Lucifer represents values like self-determination and liberation from slave mentality. In this regard, Luciferianism falls closer to a philosophy rather than an actual religion. The Neo-Luciferian Church states that Luciferianisms core goal is to help people take responsibility for [their] own life and act as an individual moral agent, using the full potential of [their] own genius and thereby optimizing [their] own possibilities.
Luciferians also see Lucifer as being a completely different entity than Satan. The Greater Church of Lucifer states that the word Lucifer (meaning Light Bearer or Morning Star) existed far before Christianity and that translations and interpretations have changed over time to equate Lucifer and Satan as one being.
Perhaps the greatest difference between Luciferians and LaVeyan Satanists is that Lucifer (the Light Bearer) is a symbol of knowledge, while Satan (the Adversary) represents carnality and opposition. The Greater Church of Lucifer compares the story of Adam and Eve to the Hellenistic story of Prometheus. In this story, Prometheus brings forbidden fire to humanity and teaches them how to harness it for their own good. For this, Prometheus is punished by Zeus. This is not unlike the Biblical story of how the snake tempts Adam and Eve into eating from the forbidden Tree of Life.
The ultimate goal of Luciferianism is to help each individual ignite their inner Black Flame and become self-aware. Luciferianists are called to question everything, overcome their own ignorance, and balance their carnal desires with their intellect.
Christian-based Duotheism is a very small fragment of theistic Satanism, according to polytheistic Satanist Diane Vera. This form of Satanism accepts that Christian theology is true and that there is an ongoing war between God and Satan. The main difference is that these Satanists are cheering on the Devil rather than God. They believe that God and Satan are the two most powerful beings in the universe and that Satan has enough power to eventually overpower God and win the war.
Vera claims that the idea of duotheism and warring gods comes from ancient Zoroastrian beliefs about the eternal war between Ahura Mazda, the God of Light, and Ahriman, the God of Darkness. Some of these Satanists see the Devil as being the good guy rather than the bad guy, as he is the one who has given humans knowledge and freedom while God wants to keep humans as slaves. In this sense, Christian-based Duotheism is an inverted form of Christianity. Satan is the hero, liberating humanity from an evil and tyrannical God.
Anti-Cosmic Satanism, also called Chaos-Gnosticism, believes that the cosmic order created by God is nothing more than a grand fabrication, and behind that illusion is an endless and formless chaos. One practitioner of this form of Satanism is an occultist author who goes by the name of Vexior 218. In an interview, Vexior explained that he did believe in an all-powerful god called the Demiurge, who has been interpreted as Odin in Norse religion and God in Christianity. He created restrictionstime, space, and fleshto bound our otherwise free spirits. This is where figures like Loki and Satan come in. They are rebels against the Demiurges tyrannical rule and aim to destroy his control. Other anti-cosmic gods might include Tiamat, Baal, Asmodeus, Lilith, and more.
This form of Satanism, much like its other non-LaVeyan variants, is very obscure and unfortunately hard to find much information on. Its most well-known member was Jon Nodtveidt of the black metal band Dissection which weve mentioned before. He was a member of the Temple of Black Light, once called the Misanthropic Luciferian Order, an organization with the goal of destroying the order of the Demiurge and bringing the universe back to the chaos that was originally there. The Temple used many invocations to various deities and beings, especially Lilith.
Transcendental Satanism is a very unique form of Satanism created by a man named Matt The Lord Zane. As he documented in the first few pages of his book Transcendental Satanism, he took LSD and had a vision of Satan being cast from Heaven, followed by another vision of a man making a pact with Satan before the man was even born. The man would avoid Hell by doing Satans bidding but would have no knowledge of making such a deal throughout his lifetime. Instead, he would help lead others to Hell while being under the delusion that he was actually doing Gods work. Zane said:
Satan wanted him to experience everything the world had to offer and to create his own beliefs rather than accepting the beliefs of God. The mans journeys would lead to a plethora of experience, which would inspire others to act in a way that would be in opposition to the will of God and cause them to create a separation. I see this separation as the Hell that people were being led to. The story wasnt a warning about eternal damnation but one of spiritual evolution.
Transcendental Satanism is exactly thata form of spiritual evolution with the end goal of the individual reuniting with what is called a Satanic Aspect. The Satanic Aspect is a hidden part of the self separated from consciousness. It influences us by helping to cultivate our consciousness. The paths to each individuals Satanic Aspect are many, and nobody is required to go down the path that is laid out to them.
Demonolatry quite literally means the worship of demons, though modern demonolators do not actually worship demons. Instead, they work with demons, as each demon is seen as a force or energy that can be called upon to aid in rituals or magic. Traditional demonolators actually do worship demons that personify their own attributes.
Its important to note that not all demonolators are necessarily Satanists, though they certainly can be. Each demonolator chooses their own patron deity, and they are certainly free to choose Satan, who represents the element of fire. However, there are many demons of different religions to choose from.
Demonolators have three different possible interpretations of demons. The first is that they are like the ones in Christianityevil sinners and tempters. The second is what traditional demonolators believethat demons are personified forces of energy. The third interpretation is that demons are gods in their own right as Demon means divine power. Regardless, demonolators believe that their practice will not result in any sort of perdition or divine punishment, as these are merely perpetuated myths handed down from a religion long past its prime.
The Temple of Set was founded by LaVeys former right-hand man Michael Aquino, who left the Church of Satan after LaVey had started to sell priesthood offices. The idea that LaVey would profit from the Church of Satan caused many members, including high priestess Lilith Sinclair, who eventually became Aquinos wife, to resign from the church. Aquino and other defectors helped form the Temple of Set, which developed very different philosophies from the Church of Satan.
While LaVeyan Satanists dont believe in any sort of god or deity, Setians believe in a suprapersonal entity known as Set. Set is the Egyptian god of violence and disorder, who eventually became known as the god of darkness and the enemy of all other Egyptian gods. In other words, Set is the original Satanist: the god against all false, man-imagined gods.
LaVeyan Satanists believe that each member is their own personal god, and they seek to ascend to godhood. The goal of Setians is to achieve xeper, an Egyptian word that roughly means I have come into being. Setians believe that each person goes through a divine experience at some point or another and that it is possible to create more divine experiences through self-development, magic, and other means until the Setian finally achieves a level of godhood. This is the ultimate purpose of man.
The Satanic Reds dont believe in Satan in the traditional sense but rather view him as a dark force that has existed since the beginning of time. Tani Jantsang, one of Satanic Reds most prominent figures, believes that the origin of the word Satan comes from two pre-Sanskrit words: sat, the word for the boundless darkness, and tan, which describes how this force stretches out and permeates into all things. In other words, sat means being, and tan means becoming. Whether or not this is the true root of the word Satan is unknown.
The Law of the Tan describes how sat is infused into every being. Each creature is connected to its own parents, and these connections form an intricate web that goes back to the beginning of life. They all follow their nature and are naturally at peace with their own chakra flow. The Nine Satanic Postulates expand on these beliefs, saying that each being is motivated by an inner force to constantly change and evolve according to its environment.
Those who go against their own nature are called Kipploths. According to the Satanic Reds, someone disrespecting what another person or creature is or turning against themselves is an act of evil:
The disrespect for what another creature IS, is a violation of ALL principles of life. [...] Disrespect means to NOT HONOR what another creature is. Or a human not respecting WHAT another human of another type IS. This disrespect is EVIL, it is like a war against the Great Darkness and it is thus, a war against the Self. The Dark Breath in that other person is the SAME Dark Breath that is in the offender. And, the Dark Breath CAN withdraw leaving a shell.
Polytheistic Satanism is exactly what it sounds likethe belief in many gods as opposed to just one god. The most famous polytheistic Satanist organization is the Church of Azazel, which is a New York Citybased group open to all Satanists, occultists, and followers of the Left-Hand Path. They revere several distinct deities.
The Church of Azazel focuses on what they call the rising gods of the modern WestSatan/Azazel, Lilith, Prometheus, Ishtar, Pan, and Lucifer-of-Sophia. (Sophia was a Gnostic goddess who had many parallels with the story of Lucifer, along with the story of Adam and Eve.) All of these gods have been demonized by Abrahamic religions, yet they represent values and principles that the Church of Azazel strongly identifies with and social trends that are disliked by the religious right. For example, Prometheus represents knowledge and understanding, and Ishtar represents nature and sexuality. Most importantly, Satan is the one who encourages free thinking by challenging and questioning dogma.
The Church of Azazel doesnt worship any gods in the traditional sense. Rather, they pay reverence and respect toward their gods and often feel drawn to one or more of them. They are also rather agnostic, knowing that the realm of the gods will never be completely knowable to mankind, and therefore follow what is called a here-and-now philosophy. The Church of Azazel does believe that the gods might manifest themselves within human affairs, particularly in social, economic, and religious trends.
There is, surprisingly, a small religion that mixes the writings of H.P. Lovecraft with Satanism, black magic, and the Left-Hand Path. This is known as the Cult of Cthulu. Venger Satanis, the cults founder, acknowledges that many people dont accept Lovecrafts writings as reality, to which he responds: There is no reality. What the human mind calls reality does not exist. Satanis claims that everyone is locked inside a paradigm called Generally Accepted Reality, and he has the power to shape his own reality according to his own will.
Long ago, I chose to believe in Cthulhu, Satan, Nyarlathotep, Yog Sothoth, and the Tsalal, he writes. My belief gives these gelatinous, winged, blasphemous, and sickeningly undulant fiends power.
The Cult of Cthulu claims that the Old Ones resided over the Earth countless ages ago and that they spread their dark, forbidden, and arcane knowledge to humans. The Lesser Gods were chained and whipped, and their spilled blood created the universe. Some of the surviving Lesser Gods managed to break free and banish the Old Ones.
The Cult of Cthulu sees the Old Ones in the same way that many other Satanists see Lucifer, as beings that wished to bring knowledge and free humanity from enslavement. The Cult of Cthulu believes that the vast majority of human beings will live their lives trapped in the Generally Accepted Reality, and their suffering gives energy to the Lesser Gods. The only way to break free is to awaken and achieve True Consciousness. The Greater Reality that lies within each Cthulu Cultist goes by many namesthe black flame, the mark of Satan, the gift of Set, or the call of Cthulu.
All evil godsCthulu, Satan, Loki, etc.are thought to be merely extensions of the formless black essence that is underneath Generally Accepted Reality. These gods can be thought of as real or symbolic; it doesnt matter how one chooses to interpret them. They all represent the concept of self-empowerment, the cults highest law.
Patrick W. Dunne studied Business and Psychology at Chaminade University of Honolulu. He currently works as a full-time marketer and part-time freelance writer. You can follow him on LinkedIn or Twitter.
Go here to read the rest:
- Satanism | occult practice | Britannica - December 19th, 2021
- Albert Pike Exposing Satanism and Witchcraft - December 5th, 2021
- Demon Names and how to Identify them Exposing Satanism ... - December 5th, 2021
- The Anatomy of Satanism in Hollywood - James True - October 7th, 2021
- The All Seeing Eye and the Occult Meaning - Exposing Satanism - October 7th, 2021
- Frank Zappas favourite books about the occult - Far Out Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- Is False Positive a True Story? Is the Hulu Movie Based on Real Life? - The Cinemaholic - June 28th, 2021
- Satanism - Founders, Philosophies & Branches - HISTORY - June 15th, 2021
- Music Styles Live and Die, But Rock is Forever Heres Why - Music Mayhem Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- The Deification of Donald J. Trump: The Prince of Pieces - The Good Men Project - March 31st, 2021
- Church of Satan and Satanism in Australia explained: from rituals to religion with the controversial group - 7NEWS.com.au - March 3rd, 2021
- Every Johnny Depp Movie Ranked From Worst to Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Far-right conspiracy QAnon surging in Europe as fanatics plot return of Nazi Reich and link Satanists to - The Sun - February 2nd, 2021
- Satanic Temple Abortion Ritual Advertised on Miami Billboard - Miami New Times - January 1st, 2021
- The Boomer Rock Renaissance 2020 Never Saw Coming - Vulture - December 26th, 2020
- Modern Satanism | Spiral Nature Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- The Evolution of Modern Satanism in the United States - December 6th, 2020
- The Story Of Black Metal In 14 Songs Kerrang! - Kerrang! - December 6th, 2020
- Fact check: There is no evidence to support claims that Lady Gaga is a witch - USA TODAY - November 7th, 2020
- BERNSTEIN: We live in two different Americas - RU Daily Targum - November 7th, 2020
- The History Behind the Ouija Board is Both Pure and Evil - Nerdist - October 27th, 2020
- What It Really Means To Be A Satanist - Kerrang! - March 5th, 2020
- Pittchcraft: The true history of Wicca and Witchcraft - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 5th, 2020
- 10 Bands Who Have Been Banned By The Church - Kerrang! - March 5th, 2020
- CHLOE WYMA ON THE ART OF AGNES PELTON - Artforum - March 5th, 2020
- A Modern Witch's Guide to Paris: Where to Find the Occult and Esoteric - Frenchly - February 4th, 2020
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Conjures Up a Strong Season 3 - The Spool - January 27th, 2020
- Best Documentaries of '19 - Fort Worth Weekly - January 17th, 2020
- Sam Dunn: The Journey of the World's Most Famous Headbanger - Daily Hawker - January 17th, 2020
- Fears Hampshire Horse Ripper has returned after 26 years and psycho culprit could be next Ian Brady - The Sun - January 14th, 2020
- Occult symbols found on New Forest animals killed, and in church vandalism - The Wild Hunt - December 6th, 2019
- Concert Review: Spinal Taps Derek Smalls Revives Mock-Rock at the Wiltern - Variety - November 11th, 2019
- Curro pupil speaks: 'Stop the satanic panic, art is meant to provoke thought' - News24 - October 27th, 2019
- Creepy countdown the 20 scariest horror movies of all time - NNY360 - October 27th, 2019
- What does it mean to be a modern witch? 3 real-life witches share their experiences - Vogue India - October 23rd, 2019
- Judas Priests Rob Halford: The metal community has always been inclusive, yet weve been kicked around like a football over the years - NME.com - October 23rd, 2019
- The 20 scariest horror movies of all time - The Columbus Dispatch - October 20th, 2019
- What are the 20 scariest horror movies of all time? - Peoria Journal Star - October 20th, 2019
- I'm a founder of the Satanic Temple. Don't blame Satan for white supremacy. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Wash Post column cheers Satan, jeers Christians - WND.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Devil's Cradle: The Story of Finnish Black Metal - The Gauntlet - August 25th, 2017
- Court orders new trial in satanic sacrificial murder case - RT - August 25th, 2017
- We Asked Diehard Swedish Metalheads What They Consider to be 'Metal' - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- A Brief But Very Informative History of How Fascists Infiltrated Punk and Metal - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- Why Some Christians Are Calling White Supremacy 'Satanic' - HuffPost - August 20th, 2017
- Satanic Leader Calls Upon Christian America to Face Their Contribution to Racist Right - Patheos (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- The Wild Hunt | Tag Archive | paranormal investigation - The Wild Hunt - August 16th, 2017
- Nottinghamshire sees increase in Witchcraft complaints - The Wild Hunt - August 11th, 2017
- Secular doctors are realizing that demonic possession is real, and needs special attention - Catholic Online - August 8th, 2017
- Nocturnes Mist announce Sept 15th release of "Diabolical Baptism" - The Gauntlet - August 6th, 2017
- 'Embrace ICT with caution' - The Herald - August 4th, 2017
- Kangaroo Court: Of Chief Lundu orders to ban ECG church - Nyasa Times - August 3rd, 2017
- How the Satanic Temple Became a Queer Haven - VICE - July 24th, 2017
- Coltrain: Satanism and paganism are not the same thing - The Daily Iowan - July 20th, 2017
- theartsdesk on Vinyl 30: Moby, The Beach Boys, Napalm Death, John Coltrane and more - The Arts Desk - July 13th, 2017
- Satanism Making Comeback Through Witchcraft and Atheism: Rabbi - Breaking Israel News - June 27th, 2017
- Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia - June 24th, 2017
- Outlast 2 Garishly Exploits Your Sexual Hangups For Horror - Paste Magazine - June 24th, 2017
- Ritual Skulls and Other Magical Objects, in Photos - Atlas Obscura - June 24th, 2017
- Christians and Jews Combat Witches' Summer Solstice Satanic Spells on Trump - CBN News - June 22nd, 2017
- Paganism Is Back! Now What Are We Christians Going to Do? - Patheos (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- The Occult Roots of Modernism - The New Yorker - June 19th, 2017
- Modern Satanism: Anatomy of a Radical Subculture - Chris ... - June 17th, 2017
- Witch Hunts, Resurgence and Defiance: Heavy Metal In The Middle East - The Quietus - June 12th, 2017
- The Alt-Right Is the Modern, Hideous Face of White Supremacy - AlterNet - June 12th, 2017
- Understanding contemporary white supremacy: Is the alt-right really something new? - Salon - June 11th, 2017
- Catholic Priest: MN Park's New Monument Will Attract Satanists Who Want to Molest Kids - Patheos (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- The Gallows Pole By Benjamin Myers: A Playlist - The Quietus - June 6th, 2017
- Exclusive: Bloody Hammers Use Old School Horror For Blood Video ... - Dread Central - June 3rd, 2017
- We are using witchcraft, Satanism and magic confesses ... - June 3rd, 2017
- Pagan Community Notes: Memorial Day, Manchester, Pagan Dawn, and more! - The Wild Hunt - May 30th, 2017
- What witch-hunters can teach us - The Daily News of Newburyport - May 26th, 2017
- Column: What witch-hunters can teach us about today's world ... - Gloucester Daily Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Duterte to Trump: What witch-finders can teach us about today's popular leaders - Philippine Star - May 18th, 2017
- Alison Sampson & Steve Niles Stir Up Satanic Panic in Winnebago Graveyard - Paste Magazine - May 17th, 2017
- Exposing Satanism and Witchcraft - May 11th, 2017
- Ghost Rider De-Mystified Part 1 - Movie TV Tech Geeks News - May 9th, 2017
- Meet the modern-day Pagans who celebrate the ancient gods - Salon - May 7th, 2017
- Satanism is Becoming More Saintlike Than Catholicism - ComicsVerse - May 6th, 2017
- Neo-Pagan Witchcraft vs Satanism - May 4th, 2017