This article is part of a three-part series on how federalism works in America. Other installments focus on local and state governments.
Federal laws in America apply across the country in every state and city. Congress and the president have important roles to play in making and enforcing those laws, but they are not alone.
We do need a State Department. We do need a Department of Defense, says Karla Jones, director of international relations and federalism at the American Legislative Exchange Council, referring to the federal entities responsible for implementing the countrys foreign and defense policies.
The U.S. relies on a system called federalism: Powers not granted to the federal government are reserved for the states and the people. Its an important concept to understand because citizens encounter different levels of government daily, but in several ways.
Only the federal government can regulate interstate and foreign commerce, declare war and set taxing, spending and other national policies.
These actions often start with legislation from Congress, made up of the 435-member House of Representatives and the 100-member U.S. Senate. Each of the 50 states receives two senators regardless of its population size. The number of representatives each state receives depends on the states population. Bills that Congress approves then go to the president to signinto lawor reject with a veto.
The executive branch is responsible for enforcing the laws Congress makes. It is made up of the president and his or her advisers, as well as multiple departments and agencies. The departments are each headed by a secretary, whom the president appoints with the advice and consent of the Senate. The U.S. hasmore than a dozen departments, and they each take on a specific set of duties. The Treasury Departments duties, for example, include printing and regulating money.
The president also serves as commander-in-chief of the United States Armed Forces. That means the president directs how military weapons will be used, where to deploy troops and where ships are sent. The militarys generals and admirals take their direction from the president.
This graphic summarizes the kinds of entities in each branch of government.
The Supreme Court is the highest federal court in the U.S. and assures the American people of equal justice under law. The courts nine justices one chief judge and eight associate judges interpret the law, in a fair and impartial manner, when disagreements arise on the legality of a law that Congress approves, a regulation that a federal agency implements or other matters.
The Constitution empowers the president, who is elected by the entire nation, to nominate justices. These justices require Senate confirmation to uphold the checks and balancesamong the branches of government.
The Founders separated power because they knew it was the best way to protect our citizens and keep our Constitution secure, President Trump said at the 2017 swearing-in of Justice Neil Gorsuch, whom thepresident nominatedto the Supreme Court.
Landmark decisions from the Supreme Court shape American life, and their ramifications are still felt today. They include the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case, which outlawed racial segregation in public schools.
The three branches of the federal government get together at the U.S. Capitol when the president delivers the State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress. That speech represents an opportunity for the president to lay out an agenda for the coming year. These addresses are traditionally held in January or February after the new session of Congress convenes. President Trumps third State of the Union address took place on February 4.
A version of this story was previously published on December 26, 2017.
- The Republic Day is a reminder of the spirit of federalism and why it is under strain - The Indian Express - January 21st, 2022
- Should Democrats look to the states? - The Week Magazine - January 21st, 2022
- Peace talks will be held if the NCA and the constitution do not affect the building of a union based on democracy and federalism: SAC's Chair - Eleven... - January 21st, 2022
- PDP ready to shove APC out of power at the centre Agbaje - New Telegraph Newspaper - January 21st, 2022
- The Constitution's Basic Principles: Federalism ... - January 19th, 2022
- Proposed amendment to IAS cadre rule 1954 'against spirit of cooperative federalism': Mamata Banerjee writ - Economic Times - January 19th, 2022
- Nepal`s ruling coalition parties agree to hold local elections in April - WION - January 19th, 2022
- Beyond the Accord and beyond India's reach - NewsIn.Asia - January 19th, 2022
- What US Gets Wrong About Vaccines That Other Countries Get Right - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - January 19th, 2022
- Letters: Let's lance the Indy boil with a fully informed vote - HeraldScotland - January 19th, 2022
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls | Mamatas campaign for SP will help BJP: Adhikari - The Hindu - January 19th, 2022
- More could be done to restore peace as invitation already extended for peace talks resumption: Snr Gen Min Aung Hlaing - Eleven Myanmar - January 19th, 2022
- Biden's Higher Education Agenda, One Year In - The Dispatch - January 19th, 2022
- Federal control of elections, and getting the filibuster out of the way - Bluefield Daily Telegraph - January 19th, 2022
- How Ghana lost its federalism -- and lessons for others - The Conversation CA - January 11th, 2022
- Opinion | Why the politics of blame avoidance shouldn't be working in Canadian federalism - NiagaraFallsReview.ca - January 11th, 2022
- Extending GST compensation as a reform catalyst - The Hindu - January 11th, 2022
- Administrative federalism - The News International - January 9th, 2022
- Federalism and the Value of Institutional Experience During a National Disaster: Identifying Determinants of Rapid Emergency Medicaid Waiver Adoption... - January 9th, 2022
- 'Local control' of government is a hallowed idea in Wisconsin. Here's what we can do to give it real meaning again. - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - January 9th, 2022
- Lowry: The left supports the Constitution until it doesnt - Boston Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Governors are the last adults standing in American politics | TheHill - The Hill - January 9th, 2022
- Time to remove insincerity from resource control Opinion - Guardian - January 9th, 2022
- Sorry, Democrats: Civil War isn't likely even if you're trying to provoke one - New York Post - January 9th, 2022
- Opinion: It will be a dreary Christmas in Ethiopia this year, and here's why Americans should care - Iowa City Press-Citizen - January 9th, 2022
- Indian Origin Tamils and Muslims refused to ink Tamils' joint letter to Indian PM - NewsIn.Asia - January 9th, 2022
- What is Federalism? - Definition & Factors of U.S ... - December 29th, 2021
- Masari: Power rotation will strengthen our federalism - TheCable - December 29th, 2021
- Nagaland To Lakhimpur Kheri: Rights, Regimes And Restitutions in Times Of Turbulence - Outlook India - December 29th, 2021
- Poland accuses Germany of trying to form 'Fourth Reich' - DW (English) - December 29th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 61 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian Nigeria - December 23rd, 2021
- PREP Act Preemption: There is no COVID-19 Exception to Federalism - JD Supra - December 23rd, 2021
- What the Pandemic Has Taught Us About American Democracy - The Nation - December 23rd, 2021
- Combatting air pollution in Northern India: Cooperative federalism is the way forward - Observer Research Foundation - December 23rd, 2021
- Ethiopia: A regressive vision spells the end of the republic - The Africa Report - December 23rd, 2021
- New Federalism - Wikipedia - December 7th, 2021
- Federalism: Basic Structure of Government | United States ... - December 7th, 2021
- The country is moving towards a union based on democracy and federalism and it will not deviate at all: SAC's Chair - Eleven Myanmar - December 7th, 2021
- New law will be "end of Russian federalism," says North Russian MP - The Independent Barents Observer - December 7th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 58 - Guardian Nigeria - December 7th, 2021
- After Roe, The Coming Fight to End All Abortions Everywhere - Justia Verdict - December 7th, 2021
- Irreconcilable aspirations: A regressive Ethiopian vision spells the end of the republic - Ethiopia Insight - December 7th, 2021
- Tourism minister says theres no advantage in politicising border closures - Australian Aviation - December 7th, 2021
- The Meaning Of The Constitution | The Heritage Foundation - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | CONSTITUTION USA with Peter Sagal | PBS - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | tutor2u - November 28th, 2021
- How Modis lack of federalism led to failure of farm laws and three other weekend reads - Scroll.in - November 28th, 2021
- Success of NEP 2020 Hinges on Cooperative Federalism, States Taking Ownership of Reforms - News18 - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 57 | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and... - November 25th, 2021
- Formation of New Regional States Debunks Myth that the Current Gov't is anti-federalism - Mustafa Mohammed - - Walta Information Center - November 25th, 2021
- Nigeria is a federation in name only, and Buhari is unable to change this - The Africa Report - November 25th, 2021
- SZC: Better ties mooted in spirit of federalism - Devdiscourse - November 15th, 2021
- Punjab Assembly passes resolution against Centres BSF order, calls it insult, violation of the spirit of fe - The Statesman - November 15th, 2021
- Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai to other states: Give us our share of water - The New Indian Express - November 15th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 54 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian Nigeria - November 9th, 2021
- SCOTUS Skepticism and the Texas Abortion Law - JURIST - Commentary - Legal News & Commentary - JURIST - November 9th, 2021
- National interest demands a strong, impartial CBI. The loss of trust in the agency among opposition ruled stat - The Times of India Blog - November 9th, 2021
- Leave advocates of true federalism, self-determination alone; face banditry, terrorism, Afenifere tells Buhari - Vanguard - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - part 49 - Guardian - October 3rd, 2021
- The Smart Cities Mission is an assault on cooperative federalism - The News Minute - October 3rd, 2021
- I dont believe in 2023 elections -Afenifere leader Adebanjo - Punch Newspapers - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 48 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- States rights and the Constitution: What rights do states have? | Opinion - Deseret News - September 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 and Federalism in India: Capturing the Effects of State and Central Responses on Mobility - DocWire News - September 24th, 2021
- Opinion/Conley: RI's noble reasons for resisting the Constitution - The Providence Journal - September 24th, 2021
- Federalism and the Single National Curriculum - Geo News - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 46 - Guardian - September 10th, 2021
- Have SC's attempts to depoliticise police inadvertently led to a weakening of federalism? - Scroll.in - September 10th, 2021
- What is radical federalism, what would it look like and should Labour back it? - LabourList - September 10th, 2021
- Is the filibuster unconstitutional? | Opinion | murrayledger.com - Murray Ledger and Times - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 44 - Guardian - August 28th, 2021
- Some governors are mismanaging COVID and misunderstanding Federalism | TheHill - The Hill - August 28th, 2021
- Formulation of NEP live example of cooperative federalism: Pradhan - Business Standard - August 28th, 2021
- Modis authoritarianism has obliterated precept of federalism as envisaged by founding fathers of Constitution - National Herald - August 28th, 2021
- Just How Long Is the Long Arm of U.S. Jurisdiction? - Bloomberg Law - August 4th, 2021
- The Trump Administration Feuded With State and Local Leaders over Pandemic Response Now the Biden Administr - Governing - August 4th, 2021
- EPA, Army announce next steps for crafting definition of waters of the united states - Water Technology Online - August 4th, 2021
- EPA outlines plan to expand wetland protections - E&E News - August 4th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 40 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Lawyer Asks N'Assembly to Amend Constitution to Reflect True Federalism - THISDAY Newspapers - August 2nd, 2021