The 29th meeting of the Southern Zonal Council held here on Sunday exhorted the need for strong Centre-State and inter-state relations in true spirit of federalism for propelling the countrys growth.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah, who chaired the four-hour-long meeting, said Prime Minister Narendra Modis vision too was co-operative and competitive federalism to achieve all-round growth in the country.
He said the Zonal Councils were able to successfully resolve many contentious issues among states despite being only advisory in nature.
''In the context of today's meeting, 40 out of 51 pending issues were resolved,'' Shah said in a tweet late in the night.
The ancient culture, traditions and languages of southern states enrich Indias culture and ancient legacy. Indias development cannot be imagined without the very important contribution of these states, the Home Minister remarked.
He said the Zonal Councils provided an opportunity for interaction at the highest level among members for resolution of contentious issues.
Chief Ministers of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Puducherry, Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy, Basavaraj Bommai and N Rangasamy respectively, attended the meeting while those of Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Kerala skipped.
Telangana Governor and Puducherry Lieutenant Governor Tamilisai Soundararajan, Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Admiral D K Joshi, Administrator of Lakshadweep Islands Praful Khoda Patel attended.
Telangana Home Minister Mahmood Ali, Kerala Finance Minister K N Balagopal and Tamil Nadu Higher Education Minister K Ponmudi represented their states.
They raised issues concerning their respective states, with the AP CM making a strong pitch for granting special category status to the state.
Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Sunday stressed on strong Centre-State relations and good inter-state ties for the development of federal democracy.
At the same time, he asserted his state's rights on inter-state rivers like Cauvery, inter-linking of rivers and said Karnataka should get its rightful share in Cauvery, Krishna and Pennar river basins.
Puducherry Chief Minister N Rangasamy wanted the Centre to earmark at least Rs 1,500 crore as additional central assistance to the territorial government in next year's budget to compensate the loss in revenue over GST.
The Telangana government, represented by its Home Minister Mahmood Ali, said it was ready to sort out some pending issues with the AP government in an amicable manner through discussions.
Tamil Nadu government raised the issue of size and capacity of fishing boats to be used in the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone and the transfer of railway lands for Metro Rail projects while Kerala presented its case for prevention of antimicrobial resistance by regulating their use and prevention and control of non-communicable diseases.
SZC vice-chairman and host Jagan Mohan Reddy took up various pending issues related to the AP Reorganisation Act, 2014 and sought speedy resolution of issues with Telangana, with the intervention of the Centre.
Shah responded positively to this and directed the Central ministries concerned to prepare an action plan within a month for division of assets between AP and Telangana in accordance with the Act.
Summing up, the Home Minister asked the states to give top priority and address the menace of drugs and check their spread.
Chief Ministers should give priority to addressing the menace and spread of narcotics, as drug usage destroys the lives and potential of our youth, Shah said and also asked them to have zero tolerance to child sexual abuse cases as crimes against children were unacceptable.
The event ended with a dinner hosted by the AP Chief Minister to the visiting dignitaries.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Read more here:
- The Republic Day is a reminder of the spirit of federalism and why it is under strain - The Indian Express - January 21st, 2022
- Should Democrats look to the states? - The Week Magazine - January 21st, 2022
- Peace talks will be held if the NCA and the constitution do not affect the building of a union based on democracy and federalism: SAC's Chair - Eleven... - January 21st, 2022
- PDP ready to shove APC out of power at the centre Agbaje - New Telegraph Newspaper - January 21st, 2022
- The Constitution's Basic Principles: Federalism ... - January 19th, 2022
- Proposed amendment to IAS cadre rule 1954 'against spirit of cooperative federalism': Mamata Banerjee writ - Economic Times - January 19th, 2022
- Nepal`s ruling coalition parties agree to hold local elections in April - WION - January 19th, 2022
- Beyond the Accord and beyond India's reach - NewsIn.Asia - January 19th, 2022
- What US Gets Wrong About Vaccines That Other Countries Get Right - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - January 19th, 2022
- Letters: Let's lance the Indy boil with a fully informed vote - HeraldScotland - January 19th, 2022
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls | Mamatas campaign for SP will help BJP: Adhikari - The Hindu - January 19th, 2022
- More could be done to restore peace as invitation already extended for peace talks resumption: Snr Gen Min Aung Hlaing - Eleven Myanmar - January 19th, 2022
- Biden's Higher Education Agenda, One Year In - The Dispatch - January 19th, 2022
- Federal control of elections, and getting the filibuster out of the way - Bluefield Daily Telegraph - January 19th, 2022
- How Ghana lost its federalism -- and lessons for others - The Conversation CA - January 11th, 2022
- Opinion | Why the politics of blame avoidance shouldn't be working in Canadian federalism - NiagaraFallsReview.ca - January 11th, 2022
- Extending GST compensation as a reform catalyst - The Hindu - January 11th, 2022
- Administrative federalism - The News International - January 9th, 2022
- Federalism and the Value of Institutional Experience During a National Disaster: Identifying Determinants of Rapid Emergency Medicaid Waiver Adoption... - January 9th, 2022
- 'Local control' of government is a hallowed idea in Wisconsin. Here's what we can do to give it real meaning again. - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - January 9th, 2022
- Lowry: The left supports the Constitution until it doesnt - Boston Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Governors are the last adults standing in American politics | TheHill - The Hill - January 9th, 2022
- Time to remove insincerity from resource control Opinion - Guardian - January 9th, 2022
- Sorry, Democrats: Civil War isn't likely even if you're trying to provoke one - New York Post - January 9th, 2022
- Opinion: It will be a dreary Christmas in Ethiopia this year, and here's why Americans should care - Iowa City Press-Citizen - January 9th, 2022
- Indian Origin Tamils and Muslims refused to ink Tamils' joint letter to Indian PM - NewsIn.Asia - January 9th, 2022
- What is Federalism? - Definition & Factors of U.S ... - December 29th, 2021
- Masari: Power rotation will strengthen our federalism - TheCable - December 29th, 2021
- Nagaland To Lakhimpur Kheri: Rights, Regimes And Restitutions in Times Of Turbulence - Outlook India - December 29th, 2021
- Poland accuses Germany of trying to form 'Fourth Reich' - DW (English) - December 29th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 61 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian Nigeria - December 23rd, 2021
- PREP Act Preemption: There is no COVID-19 Exception to Federalism - JD Supra - December 23rd, 2021
- What the Pandemic Has Taught Us About American Democracy - The Nation - December 23rd, 2021
- Combatting air pollution in Northern India: Cooperative federalism is the way forward - Observer Research Foundation - December 23rd, 2021
- Ethiopia: A regressive vision spells the end of the republic - The Africa Report - December 23rd, 2021
- New Federalism - Wikipedia - December 7th, 2021
- Federalism: Basic Structure of Government | United States ... - December 7th, 2021
- The country is moving towards a union based on democracy and federalism and it will not deviate at all: SAC's Chair - Eleven Myanmar - December 7th, 2021
- New law will be "end of Russian federalism," says North Russian MP - The Independent Barents Observer - December 7th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 58 - Guardian Nigeria - December 7th, 2021
- After Roe, The Coming Fight to End All Abortions Everywhere - Justia Verdict - December 7th, 2021
- Irreconcilable aspirations: A regressive Ethiopian vision spells the end of the republic - Ethiopia Insight - December 7th, 2021
- Tourism minister says theres no advantage in politicising border closures - Australian Aviation - December 7th, 2021
- The Meaning Of The Constitution | The Heritage Foundation - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | CONSTITUTION USA with Peter Sagal | PBS - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | tutor2u - November 28th, 2021
- How Modis lack of federalism led to failure of farm laws and three other weekend reads - Scroll.in - November 28th, 2021
- Success of NEP 2020 Hinges on Cooperative Federalism, States Taking Ownership of Reforms - News18 - November 28th, 2021
- What does the federal government do? | ShareAmerica - November 25th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 57 | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and... - November 25th, 2021
- Formation of New Regional States Debunks Myth that the Current Gov't is anti-federalism - Mustafa Mohammed - - Walta Information Center - November 25th, 2021
- Nigeria is a federation in name only, and Buhari is unable to change this - The Africa Report - November 25th, 2021
- Punjab Assembly passes resolution against Centres BSF order, calls it insult, violation of the spirit of fe - The Statesman - November 15th, 2021
- Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai to other states: Give us our share of water - The New Indian Express - November 15th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 54 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian Nigeria - November 9th, 2021
- SCOTUS Skepticism and the Texas Abortion Law - JURIST - Commentary - Legal News & Commentary - JURIST - November 9th, 2021
- National interest demands a strong, impartial CBI. The loss of trust in the agency among opposition ruled stat - The Times of India Blog - November 9th, 2021
- Leave advocates of true federalism, self-determination alone; face banditry, terrorism, Afenifere tells Buhari - Vanguard - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - part 49 - Guardian - October 3rd, 2021
- The Smart Cities Mission is an assault on cooperative federalism - The News Minute - October 3rd, 2021
- I dont believe in 2023 elections -Afenifere leader Adebanjo - Punch Newspapers - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 48 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- States rights and the Constitution: What rights do states have? | Opinion - Deseret News - September 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 and Federalism in India: Capturing the Effects of State and Central Responses on Mobility - DocWire News - September 24th, 2021
- Opinion/Conley: RI's noble reasons for resisting the Constitution - The Providence Journal - September 24th, 2021
- Federalism and the Single National Curriculum - Geo News - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 46 - Guardian - September 10th, 2021
- Have SC's attempts to depoliticise police inadvertently led to a weakening of federalism? - Scroll.in - September 10th, 2021
- What is radical federalism, what would it look like and should Labour back it? - LabourList - September 10th, 2021
- Is the filibuster unconstitutional? | Opinion | murrayledger.com - Murray Ledger and Times - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 44 - Guardian - August 28th, 2021
- Some governors are mismanaging COVID and misunderstanding Federalism | TheHill - The Hill - August 28th, 2021
- Formulation of NEP live example of cooperative federalism: Pradhan - Business Standard - August 28th, 2021
- Modis authoritarianism has obliterated precept of federalism as envisaged by founding fathers of Constitution - National Herald - August 28th, 2021
- Just How Long Is the Long Arm of U.S. Jurisdiction? - Bloomberg Law - August 4th, 2021
- The Trump Administration Feuded With State and Local Leaders over Pandemic Response Now the Biden Administr - Governing - August 4th, 2021
- EPA, Army announce next steps for crafting definition of waters of the united states - Water Technology Online - August 4th, 2021
- EPA outlines plan to expand wetland protections - E&E News - August 4th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 40 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Lawyer Asks N'Assembly to Amend Constitution to Reflect True Federalism - THISDAY Newspapers - August 2nd, 2021