Puntland turns 23 as it demonstrates a shining example of Somalia's federalism
GAROWE, Puntland -Puntland, the oldest Federal-State in Somalia is celebrating its 23rd-anniversary of establishment, which comes at the time the Horn of Africa is in the electioneering period.
In 1998, the Puntland State of Somalia was born, paving way for federalism, after years of turmoil which was triggered by the ouster of a military regime in 1991 by clan warlords. Successive governments failed to cure Somalia's problems, paving way for federalism.
Puntland has notable founding fathers - Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, who served as the fledgling state's founding president between 1998-2004, and Abdirahman Farole praised for leading by example from 2009 to 2014.
The Federal State had undergone major changes coupled with development progress and strong federalism under Farole's leadership, including getting a constitution, a flag, and establishing functioning security agencies just like PMPF.
In addition, the Farole administration had played a role in the preparation of the current provisional constitution of Somalia by hosting in Garowe two Constitutional Consultative Conferences in 2012 that led to the ending of the transition.
For all these years, Puntland has been pushing for strong federalism in Somalia, often triggering tough differences between Mogadishu and Garowe. Federalism was picked as the only model that could end cut-throat competition for state power in Somalia.
With six regional presidents so far, Puntland has showcased high-profile self-reliance in terms of resource mobilization and distribution, thus setting a strong foundation that can be used as a typical model.
For 23 years, Puntland has recorded major achievements including but not limited to completing key development projects, announcing new ones, and the efforts it made for Somalia's rebuilding. It had a role in Somalia's current constitution draft.
The state has strong institutions which are key in the democratization process. This October, the state is set to hold universal suffrage elections, the first of its kind in Somalia. Already, several areas have registered voters, who are set to contest in this process.
Across Somalia, key political leadership positions have always been defined through the clan-based model, which is a source of conflict. Besides Somaliland, it's only Puntland that has kickstarted this important exercise of voter registration.
In April, Puntland came out in full force opposing outgoing President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmaajo's term. The outgoing president had mobilized parliament for unconstitutional term extension, leading to crisis talks that paved way for a clear election calendar.
Deni and his Jubaland counterpart Ahmed Islam Mohamed Madobe were on record for opposing term extension, arguing that it would create a recipe for chaos and anarchy in the country. They called for international partners' intervention.
Further, Puntland has minimized the infiltration of Al-Shabaab and IS-Somalia militants, through the use of Puntland Security Forces [PSF]. The regional government does not rely on the national army and AMISOM for crushing the militants.
Follow this link:
- The Meaning Of The Constitution | The Heritage Foundation - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | CONSTITUTION USA with Peter Sagal | PBS - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | tutor2u - November 28th, 2021
- How Modis lack of federalism led to failure of farm laws and three other weekend reads - Scroll.in - November 28th, 2021
- Success of NEP 2020 Hinges on Cooperative Federalism, States Taking Ownership of Reforms - News18 - November 28th, 2021
- What does the federal government do? | ShareAmerica - November 25th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 57 | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and... - November 25th, 2021
- Formation of New Regional States Debunks Myth that the Current Gov't is anti-federalism - Mustafa Mohammed - - Walta Information Center - November 25th, 2021
- Nigeria is a federation in name only, and Buhari is unable to change this - The Africa Report - November 25th, 2021
- SZC: Better ties mooted in spirit of federalism - Devdiscourse - November 15th, 2021
- Punjab Assembly passes resolution against Centres BSF order, calls it insult, violation of the spirit of fe - The Statesman - November 15th, 2021
- Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai to other states: Give us our share of water - The New Indian Express - November 15th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 54 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian Nigeria - November 9th, 2021
- SCOTUS Skepticism and the Texas Abortion Law - JURIST - Commentary - Legal News & Commentary - JURIST - November 9th, 2021
- National interest demands a strong, impartial CBI. The loss of trust in the agency among opposition ruled stat - The Times of India Blog - November 9th, 2021
- Leave advocates of true federalism, self-determination alone; face banditry, terrorism, Afenifere tells Buhari - Vanguard - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - part 49 - Guardian - October 3rd, 2021
- The Smart Cities Mission is an assault on cooperative federalism - The News Minute - October 3rd, 2021
- I dont believe in 2023 elections -Afenifere leader Adebanjo - Punch Newspapers - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 48 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- States rights and the Constitution: What rights do states have? | Opinion - Deseret News - September 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 and Federalism in India: Capturing the Effects of State and Central Responses on Mobility - DocWire News - September 24th, 2021
- Opinion/Conley: RI's noble reasons for resisting the Constitution - The Providence Journal - September 24th, 2021
- Federalism and the Single National Curriculum - Geo News - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 46 - Guardian - September 10th, 2021
- Have SC's attempts to depoliticise police inadvertently led to a weakening of federalism? - Scroll.in - September 10th, 2021
- What is radical federalism, what would it look like and should Labour back it? - LabourList - September 10th, 2021
- Is the filibuster unconstitutional? | Opinion | murrayledger.com - Murray Ledger and Times - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 44 - Guardian - August 28th, 2021
- Some governors are mismanaging COVID and misunderstanding Federalism | TheHill - The Hill - August 28th, 2021
- Formulation of NEP live example of cooperative federalism: Pradhan - Business Standard - August 28th, 2021
- Modis authoritarianism has obliterated precept of federalism as envisaged by founding fathers of Constitution - National Herald - August 28th, 2021
- Just How Long Is the Long Arm of U.S. Jurisdiction? - Bloomberg Law - August 4th, 2021
- The Trump Administration Feuded With State and Local Leaders over Pandemic Response Now the Biden Administr - Governing - August 4th, 2021
- EPA, Army announce next steps for crafting definition of waters of the united states - Water Technology Online - August 4th, 2021
- EPA outlines plan to expand wetland protections - E&E News - August 4th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 40 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Lawyer Asks N'Assembly to Amend Constitution to Reflect True Federalism - THISDAY Newspapers - August 2nd, 2021
- Gyrgy Schpflin: 'EU Stumbled Up On Its Own Belief System, That More Europe Is The Answer To Everything' Interview - Eurasia Review - August 2nd, 2021
- Gov. Little signs on to pro-life, states' rights amicus brief seeking SCOTUS overrule of Roe v. Wade - Office of the Governor - Governor Brad Little - August 2nd, 2021
- Andrew RT Davies accuses media in Wales of having a 'nationalist agenda' - Nation.Cymru - August 2nd, 2021
- Home - Forum of Federations - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism upheld, and cooperation - Economic Times - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 39 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - July 23rd, 2021
- Spirit of cooperative federalism is essential for GST to succeed - The Hindu - July 23rd, 2021
- Opinion | Canada's troubles with federalism are hindering progress on vaccine passport - StCatharinesStandard.ca - July 23rd, 2021
- FPJ Edit: It's up to the Centre to live up to its slogan of cooperative federalism and make the new ministry of cooperation a successful agent of... - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism System - June 30th, 2021
- Federalism in Germany - Wikipedia - June 30th, 2021
- Democracy, Oppn and federalism - Daily Pioneer - June 30th, 2021
- Concepts of Federalism - CliffsNotes - June 30th, 2021
- NYC Ranked Choice Voting Reminds Us Why Federalism Is a Blessing - National Review - June 30th, 2021
- Time for Centre to embrace cooperative federalism for bullet train project? - Economic Times - June 30th, 2021
- Economist Richard Bird was a reservoir of knowledge on public finance - The Indian Express - June 30th, 2021
- Tamil Nadu Governor's speech stresses on state autonomy and federalism - Deccan Herald - June 27th, 2021
- What does the West Bengal chief secretary episode say about India federalism? - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2021
- For civil servants, Alapan Bandyopadhyay case highlights the perils of uncooperative federalism - Scroll.in - June 24th, 2021
- Breakdown of spirit of cooperative federalism at GST Council meetings: Bengal Minister - The Hindu - June 24th, 2021
- One nation, many governments: Why India must embrace federalism - The News Minute - June 24th, 2021
- Federalism is an issue for the whole of the UK - Morning Star Online - June 23rd, 2021
- Tamil Nadu governors address emphasises on state autonomy and federalism - THE WEEK - June 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19 Nepal: Federalism fared badly as politics and pandemic collided. What next? - Online Khabar (English) - June 23rd, 2021
- BJP cites PM Modis Punjab outreach to laud spirit of cooperative federalism - Hindustan Times - June 23rd, 2021
- 2023: True federalism needed to avoid post-election violence - The Nation Newspaper - June 23rd, 2021
- BBC defends failure to include pro-indy voice on EVEL discussion - The National - June 23rd, 2021
- The ABC of 1963 Constitution - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE - June 23rd, 2021
- With BJP in Delhi, states must find ways to regain autonomy - The Indian Express - June 18th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 34 | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Opinion - Guardian - June 18th, 2021
- Only NAssembly can Deal with Issues of Restructuring, Federalism, Says Buhari - THISDAY Newspapers - June 18th, 2021
- An authoritarian regime is assaulting federal principle of Constitution and trampling rights of states - National Herald - June 18th, 2021
- UPU harps on restructuring, true federalism as solution to insecurity - The Nation Newspaper - June 18th, 2021
- Lloyd Omdahl: The United States has outgrown federalism - Grand Forks Herald - June 9th, 2021
- By Upsetting Balance of Federalism, the Centre Is Playing a Dangerous Game - The Wire - June 9th, 2021
- United States has outgrown federalism | Columnists | willistonherald.com - Williston Daily Herald - June 9th, 2021
- Farmers Observe Unity in Federalism - The Citizen - June 9th, 2021
- Authoritarianism and its fragile blend with federalism in the Horn of Africa - Capital FM Kenya - June 9th, 2021
- Has the CPI(M) Forgotten its Strong Federal Roots? - The Wire - June 9th, 2021
- Centre's Tussle With Bengal Over Chief Secretary Reeks of Uncooperative Federalism - The Wire - June 6th, 2021
- How West Bengal CM and chief secretary have undermined federalism - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2021
- A problem called fiery federalism - The Times of India Blog - June 6th, 2021