By Alex Enumah
A legal practitioner, Chidi Amamgbo has called on the National Assembly to take the advantage of the ongoing constitution review to make Nigeria a true federal system.
Speaking with journalists in Abuja at the weekend, Amamgbo said states must be empowered to be independent economically.
Amamgbo, who is also admitted to California State Bar, said that the way the country is being run presently negates all principles of federalism.
According to him, the idea of the centre taking resources from the states and sharing it out to states is antithetical to federalism.
He said: Why do we call it a federation when oil producing states cannot control their resources? The states should be allowed to control their resource level and then pay taxes to the federal government for defence and foreign affairs.
He warned that any amendment that did not address this fundamental issue is a mockery and will not bring about the change Nigerians are yawning for.
He said: Every state must be a mini nation able to thrive on its own without depending on the federal government. If this is done, there are states that have no business being a state.
If we are truly serious about changing the constitution then we should address that. Why will you go to Rivers State, collect their oil, bring it to the centre and distribute it to all the states and tell them that their derivation is 13 percent?
He also suggested that the review should also aim at strengthening the independence of the judiciary saying that the judiciary as presently constituted is not independent.
We must make the judiciary a co-equal arm of government to the executive and the executive. Until the judiciary can call the shots, impunity will remain pervasive, he added.
Amamgbo, who said he returned to Nigeria from the US to seek election into the National Assembly, called on well meaning Nigerians to participate in politics saying that politics should not be left for those who do not have the interest of the people at heart.
He stated that many of those in political offices today had no business being there because they had nothing to offer other than to go and steal public funds.
He also advised political parties to stop giving tickets to the highest bidder but should, in the interest of the country, ensure that only those who have something to offer are allowed to lead the people.
Go here to read the rest:
- UPSC Key- January 19, 2023: Learn about Annual Status of Education Report, Federalism and State Legislatures - The Indian Express - January 19th, 2023
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Federalism American Government - January 6th, 2023
- fiscal federalism | public finance | Britannica - December 26th, 2022
- About ALEC - American Legislative Exchange Council - December 12th, 2022
- Canadian federalism - Wikipedia - November 23rd, 2022
- U.P. bags top honours at PMAY-U Awards 2021 - The Hindu - November 23rd, 2022
- Political Line sc views on conversions rajiv convicts and federalism and more - The Hindu - November 21st, 2022
- Byron Williams: The court is poised to rewrite federalism - Winston-Salem Journal - October 17th, 2022
- Why Hindi may set the tone for 2024 - Deccan Herald - October 17th, 2022
- A Myanmar roadmap: Charting the path to federal democracy - International IDEA - October 17th, 2022
- Next generation of reforms should focus on reducing cost of doing business - Economic Times - October 17th, 2022
- Nigeria And The Intrigues Of Insecurity -By Kene Obiezu - Opinion Nigeria - October 17th, 2022
- Trudeau's aggressive federalism may leave Ottawa weaker than before - The Globe and Mail - October 15th, 2022
- What is Federalism? | CSF - October 15th, 2022
- Kerala Against Hindi Imposition; Terms Recommendations Attack on Federalism and Diversity of Nation - NewsClick - October 15th, 2022
- 2023: Well Vote for Candidate Committed to Federalism, Diversity, Says UPU - THISDAY Newspapers - October 15th, 2022
- Attorney General Knudsen fights Biden administration rule requiring states to reach net-zero highway emissions - Montana Department of Justice - October 15th, 2022
- How Scotland can learn from Quebec's third way on constitution - HeraldScotland - October 15th, 2022
- Federalism and Why Presidents Fail - THISDAY Newspapers - September 22nd, 2022
- Vedanta and the missing spirit of federalism - The New Indian Express - September 22nd, 2022
- Federalism Most Suited Idea For India In View Of Its Diversity, Centralising Whole Things Will Lead To... - Live Law - Indian Legal News - September 22nd, 2022
- Urging the Use of One Federal Decision Rule to Speed Up Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Projects - Kevin Cramer - September 22nd, 2022
- Constitution Day 2022: Celebrating the right to govern ourselves - Yellowhammer News - September 22nd, 2022
- From Augusta Constitution Day: What does it mean to you? - Press Herald - September 22nd, 2022
- Explained | The office of the Governor: its origins, powers, and controversies - The Hindu - September 22nd, 2022
- Geography Professional Speaker Series kicks off with alumnus from Ohio EPA on Sept. 23 - Ohio University - September 22nd, 2022
- Vector-borne diseases trouble Nepal every year as there is not a single entomologist - Online Khabar (English) - September 22nd, 2022
- The Gujarat factor in the development project - Hindustan Times - September 22nd, 2022
- The downslide in federal relations - The Indian Express - September 22nd, 2022
- Competition between states to attract investment will boost Indias economy - Moneycontrol - September 22nd, 2022
- For state of the nation, look at states of the nation: Niti Aayogs new chief says it will help states learn - Times of India - September 22nd, 2022
- Letters to the Editor: Queen injected vitality, vigour into lives of many - The Kingston Whig-Standard - September 22nd, 2022
- Climate action that runs on cooperative federalism - The Hindu - September 15th, 2022
- The spirit of federalism - The News International - September 15th, 2022
- Javier Perez Sandoval Receives the 2022 William Anderson Award - - Political Science Now - September 15th, 2022
- A new Constitutional Convention is a very bad idea | Opinion - Knoxville News Sentinel - September 15th, 2022
- Rodney Hero Receives the 2022 Barbara Sinclair Lecture Award - - Political Science Now - September 15th, 2022
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; 20222023 Seasons for Certain Migratory Game Birds - Government... - September 15th, 2022
- Increasing Threat To Federalism From Centrally Sponsored Schemes- Need To Form A Federal Front - Countercurrents.org - September 3rd, 2022
- Breakenridge: Supporting federalism is the only way Alberta can be a partner in LNG exports - Calgary Herald - September 3rd, 2022
- Two tools for tracking the American Rescue Plans local and national impacts - Brookings Institution - September 3rd, 2022
- Opinion | Will election candidates co-operate with CN over intermodal hub? - Toronto Star - September 3rd, 2022
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Final 202223 Frameworks for Migratory Bird Hunting Regulations -... - September 3rd, 2022
- Its time to reset Centre-state relations. Onus rests on the central government - ThePrint - August 29th, 2022
- 'Election Denier' Is The Dumbest Rhetorical Device In Modern Politics - The Federalist - August 29th, 2022
- Need and greed - Nepali times - August 29th, 2022
- Sen. Cramer, Larry Kudlow Compare and Contrast the Trump Economy and the Biden Economy - Kevin Cramer - August 29th, 2022
- Debate on revdi culture highlights bitterness between Centre and states - The Indian Express - August 29th, 2022
- The Conservative Case for Sanctuary Cities and States - Reason - August 4th, 2022
- Doling out freebies by states is competitive federalism of the worst kind: Mythili Bhusnurmath - Economic Times - July 31st, 2022
- Between Bread and War, the Lebanese Wait - Asharq Al-awsat - English - July 31st, 2022
- Recession Fears Are Top Of Mind, But We Should Be More Worried About America's Weak Economic Growth - Forbes - July 13th, 2022
- 'True federalism is the solution to our problem as a nation' - Guardian Nigeria - July 13th, 2022
- COLUMN: Separation of powers and the regulatory state - Tahlequah Daily Press - July 13th, 2022
- Five years of GST and the way forward - The New Indian Express - July 13th, 2022
- Deuba's one year in office marked by misrule and tactic from Oli's playbook - The Kathmandu Post - July 13th, 2022
- Restoring States' Rights & Adhering to Cooperative Federalism in Environmental Policy Essay in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy -... - June 30th, 2022
- How to boost the message of progressive federalism? - Morning Star Online - June 30th, 2022
- With Padilla's election to Senate, is it time to talk about federalism again? - Philstar.com - June 11th, 2022
- The Swiss constitution a mix of democracy and federalism - SWI swissinfo.ch in English - June 11th, 2022
- What's the matter with the IAA? Taking a Closer Look at the Alberta Court of Appeal's Constitutional Analysis - Lexology - June 11th, 2022
- Why Is Federalism Important? - The Freeman Online - June 7th, 2022
- God Save the Queen! The Special Relationship and US Federalism - AMAC - June 7th, 2022
- 'I want to be the premier of all Quebecers,' Dominique Anglade says - Montreal Gazette - June 7th, 2022
- Political Line | Technology and Hindutva; dog walkers and federalism; Nitish turns the tables on the BJP - The Hindu - June 5th, 2022
- 2023 Presidential election: Issues and concerns - Part 2 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian Nigeria - June 5th, 2022
- Could overturning Roe end the abortion wars? Yes, thanks to federalism - Washington Examiner - May 21st, 2022
- Federalism and the failed pandemic response | Columnists | hampshirereview.com - Hampshire Review - May 21st, 2022
- Op-Ed: Leave abortion law to the states? Just look at the Fugitive Slave Act to see how that will go - Los Angeles Times - May 21st, 2022
- Panic-Driven Crypto & Stablecoin Regulation Would Create Further Instability - Forbes - May 21st, 2022
- UPSC CSE Key May 20, 2022: What you need to read today - The Indian Express - May 21st, 2022
- The Concurrent List is a hindrance to good federalism - Business Standard - April 29th, 2022
- Federalism in India - Federal Features & Unitary Features ... - April 27th, 2022
- Understanding Federalism | National Archives - April 27th, 2022
- First Five Years of Federalism in Nepal - Myrepublica - April 27th, 2022
- Reinstated Trump Water Rule Could Help Economy Grow - Heritage.org - April 22nd, 2022
- Technical support to teachers: Mentoring as an intervention - The Himalayan Times - April 22nd, 2022
- Rafael Nuez, the man who has been president of Colombia the most times - AL DIA News - April 22nd, 2022
- Chapter 3: Federalism and the Separation of Powers ... - April 13th, 2022
- Global federalism is necessary to solve world problems - The Cougar - The Daily Cougar - April 13th, 2022