Leader of Pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, Pa Ayo Adebanjo, says he does not believe in the forthcoming 2023 general elections because of the worsening security situations in the country.
He stated this on Friday while featuring on PUNCH Online Interview Programme on the occasion of Nigerias 61st Independence Anniversary.
When asked what kind of characteristics the next Nigerian President should possess, Adebanjo said, I dont believe in 2023, so dont waste your time. I dont believe under the present insecurity situation in the country, killings here, kidnappings there, raping there, we can have an election.
Scores of police stations and offices of the Independent National Electoral Commission have been burnt in the last couple of months by rampaging hoodlums who attack government structures, especially in Southern Nigeria, where the agitation for secession has been the loudest of recent.
The Afenifere leader also lamented that some All Progressives Congress leaders including Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; Bola Tinubu, Bisi Akande, Olusegun Osoba, amongst others, promised restructuring during the 2015 electioneering but reneged on their promises after the election of Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd) as President.
He said, Even those who came into office advocating federalism like Osinbajo, Tinubu, Osoba, Akande. You remember how they came into office under restructuring, they now say restructuring is not their priority.
Osinbajo is now telling us that there are many things to restructuring, which one are they talking of. The restructuring they put in the manifesto of APC, which one is that? The restructuring el-Rufai recommended in 2018, which one is that?
The restructuring Buhari agreed with (Tunde) Bakare and he contested election with him in 2011, which one is that? Bakare still says it loud and clear that it is restructuring I agreed with you before I contested election with you.
Adebanjo said at 93, he is a very unhappy man because Nigerias original Independence constitution, which outlined true federalism and agreed upon by the founding fathers of the country was suspended by the military after the 1966 coup.
The Afenifere leader said that the 1960 Constitution embrace fiscal federalism and encouraged regional autonomy, noting that restructuring is the way forward.
He insisted that the 1999 Constitution foisted on the country by the military is a fraud and there is the need to revisit the law guiding how Nigerians agree to live together.
The nonagenarian said, How can you say a product of the fraud would amend the fraud?
They cannot rule us under the rule of the thumb and those of us who fought for democracy will keep quiet? No, it cant work.
In 2021, Buhari telling me Nigerias constitution is not negotiable? What a balderdash! What an insult! That is not the agreement we made with the founding fathers.
Who made this constitution? Is it ours? Let him (Buhari) dispute that.
Buhari, in his address on Friday, had said, Nigeria is for all of us. Its unity is not negotiable. And its ultimate success can only be achieved if we all come together with a common goal of having peace and prosperity for our nation.
- The Meaning Of The Constitution | The Heritage Foundation - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | CONSTITUTION USA with Peter Sagal | PBS - November 28th, 2021
- Federalism | tutor2u - November 28th, 2021
- How Modis lack of federalism led to failure of farm laws and three other weekend reads - Scroll.in - November 28th, 2021
- Success of NEP 2020 Hinges on Cooperative Federalism, States Taking Ownership of Reforms - News18 - November 28th, 2021
- What does the federal government do? | ShareAmerica - November 25th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 57 | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and... - November 25th, 2021
- Formation of New Regional States Debunks Myth that the Current Gov't is anti-federalism - Mustafa Mohammed - - Walta Information Center - November 25th, 2021
- Nigeria is a federation in name only, and Buhari is unable to change this - The Africa Report - November 25th, 2021
- SZC: Better ties mooted in spirit of federalism - Devdiscourse - November 15th, 2021
- Punjab Assembly passes resolution against Centres BSF order, calls it insult, violation of the spirit of fe - The Statesman - November 15th, 2021
- Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai to other states: Give us our share of water - The New Indian Express - November 15th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 54 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian Nigeria - November 9th, 2021
- SCOTUS Skepticism and the Texas Abortion Law - JURIST - Commentary - Legal News & Commentary - JURIST - November 9th, 2021
- National interest demands a strong, impartial CBI. The loss of trust in the agency among opposition ruled stat - The Times of India Blog - November 9th, 2021
- Leave advocates of true federalism, self-determination alone; face banditry, terrorism, Afenifere tells Buhari - Vanguard - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - part 49 - Guardian - October 3rd, 2021
- The Smart Cities Mission is an assault on cooperative federalism - The News Minute - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 48 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- States rights and the Constitution: What rights do states have? | Opinion - Deseret News - September 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 and Federalism in India: Capturing the Effects of State and Central Responses on Mobility - DocWire News - September 24th, 2021
- Opinion/Conley: RI's noble reasons for resisting the Constitution - The Providence Journal - September 24th, 2021
- Federalism and the Single National Curriculum - Geo News - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 46 - Guardian - September 10th, 2021
- Have SC's attempts to depoliticise police inadvertently led to a weakening of federalism? - Scroll.in - September 10th, 2021
- What is radical federalism, what would it look like and should Labour back it? - LabourList - September 10th, 2021
- Is the filibuster unconstitutional? | Opinion | murrayledger.com - Murray Ledger and Times - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 44 - Guardian - August 28th, 2021
- Some governors are mismanaging COVID and misunderstanding Federalism | TheHill - The Hill - August 28th, 2021
- Formulation of NEP live example of cooperative federalism: Pradhan - Business Standard - August 28th, 2021
- Modis authoritarianism has obliterated precept of federalism as envisaged by founding fathers of Constitution - National Herald - August 28th, 2021
- Just How Long Is the Long Arm of U.S. Jurisdiction? - Bloomberg Law - August 4th, 2021
- The Trump Administration Feuded With State and Local Leaders over Pandemic Response Now the Biden Administr - Governing - August 4th, 2021
- EPA, Army announce next steps for crafting definition of waters of the united states - Water Technology Online - August 4th, 2021
- EPA outlines plan to expand wetland protections - E&E News - August 4th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 40 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Lawyer Asks N'Assembly to Amend Constitution to Reflect True Federalism - THISDAY Newspapers - August 2nd, 2021
- Puntland turns 23 as it demonstrates a shining example of Somalia's federalism - Garowe Online - August 2nd, 2021
- Gyrgy Schpflin: 'EU Stumbled Up On Its Own Belief System, That More Europe Is The Answer To Everything' Interview - Eurasia Review - August 2nd, 2021
- Gov. Little signs on to pro-life, states' rights amicus brief seeking SCOTUS overrule of Roe v. Wade - Office of the Governor - Governor Brad Little - August 2nd, 2021
- Andrew RT Davies accuses media in Wales of having a 'nationalist agenda' - Nation.Cymru - August 2nd, 2021
- Home - Forum of Federations - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism upheld, and cooperation - Economic Times - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 39 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - July 23rd, 2021
- Spirit of cooperative federalism is essential for GST to succeed - The Hindu - July 23rd, 2021
- Opinion | Canada's troubles with federalism are hindering progress on vaccine passport - StCatharinesStandard.ca - July 23rd, 2021
- FPJ Edit: It's up to the Centre to live up to its slogan of cooperative federalism and make the new ministry of cooperation a successful agent of... - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism System - June 30th, 2021
- Federalism in Germany - Wikipedia - June 30th, 2021
- Democracy, Oppn and federalism - Daily Pioneer - June 30th, 2021
- Concepts of Federalism - CliffsNotes - June 30th, 2021
- NYC Ranked Choice Voting Reminds Us Why Federalism Is a Blessing - National Review - June 30th, 2021
- Time for Centre to embrace cooperative federalism for bullet train project? - Economic Times - June 30th, 2021
- Economist Richard Bird was a reservoir of knowledge on public finance - The Indian Express - June 30th, 2021
- Tamil Nadu Governor's speech stresses on state autonomy and federalism - Deccan Herald - June 27th, 2021
- What does the West Bengal chief secretary episode say about India federalism? - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2021
- For civil servants, Alapan Bandyopadhyay case highlights the perils of uncooperative federalism - Scroll.in - June 24th, 2021
- Breakdown of spirit of cooperative federalism at GST Council meetings: Bengal Minister - The Hindu - June 24th, 2021
- One nation, many governments: Why India must embrace federalism - The News Minute - June 24th, 2021
- Federalism is an issue for the whole of the UK - Morning Star Online - June 23rd, 2021
- Tamil Nadu governors address emphasises on state autonomy and federalism - THE WEEK - June 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19 Nepal: Federalism fared badly as politics and pandemic collided. What next? - Online Khabar (English) - June 23rd, 2021
- BJP cites PM Modis Punjab outreach to laud spirit of cooperative federalism - Hindustan Times - June 23rd, 2021
- 2023: True federalism needed to avoid post-election violence - The Nation Newspaper - June 23rd, 2021
- BBC defends failure to include pro-indy voice on EVEL discussion - The National - June 23rd, 2021
- The ABC of 1963 Constitution - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE - June 23rd, 2021
- With BJP in Delhi, states must find ways to regain autonomy - The Indian Express - June 18th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 34 | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Opinion - Guardian - June 18th, 2021
- Only NAssembly can Deal with Issues of Restructuring, Federalism, Says Buhari - THISDAY Newspapers - June 18th, 2021
- An authoritarian regime is assaulting federal principle of Constitution and trampling rights of states - National Herald - June 18th, 2021
- UPU harps on restructuring, true federalism as solution to insecurity - The Nation Newspaper - June 18th, 2021
- Lloyd Omdahl: The United States has outgrown federalism - Grand Forks Herald - June 9th, 2021
- By Upsetting Balance of Federalism, the Centre Is Playing a Dangerous Game - The Wire - June 9th, 2021
- United States has outgrown federalism | Columnists | willistonherald.com - Williston Daily Herald - June 9th, 2021
- Farmers Observe Unity in Federalism - The Citizen - June 9th, 2021
- Authoritarianism and its fragile blend with federalism in the Horn of Africa - Capital FM Kenya - June 9th, 2021
- Has the CPI(M) Forgotten its Strong Federal Roots? - The Wire - June 9th, 2021
- Centre's Tussle With Bengal Over Chief Secretary Reeks of Uncooperative Federalism - The Wire - June 6th, 2021
- How West Bengal CM and chief secretary have undermined federalism - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2021
- A problem called fiery federalism - The Times of India Blog - June 6th, 2021