Catch up on all our #forumfedcast episodes!
How do governments in federations coordinate responses to emergency situations like COVID-19?
We examine the intergovernmental coordination practices used in Germany and Australia - two countries that received international attention for their success in controlling the first wave of Coronavirus - and assess what lessons might be learned from these experiences.
Professor Nathalie Behnke, Professor of Public Administration and Policy at the Institute of Political Science of the Technical University Darmstadt, Germany.
Professor Alan Fenna, Professor of Politics at Curtin University, Western Australia
Listen here: forumfedcast.podbean.com/e/forumfedcast-episode-2-policy-coordination/ ... See MoreSee Less
Catch up on all our Forum of Federations podcast episodes!
We explore how the Coronavirus pandemic has impacted federal governance dynamics in Canada, the United States, and Mexico, and assess the implications of the crisis on the federations in North America.
The Honourable Bob Rae, Former Premier of Ontario.
Professor John Kincaid, Robert B. and Helen S. Meyner Professor of Government and Public Service, President of the Center for the Study of Federalism, Lafayette College, Pennsylvania.
Professor Laura Flamand, Research Professor at the Center for International Studies and Founding Director of the Network for the Study of Inequalities, El Colegio de Mexico, Ciudad de Mxico.
Listen here: forumfedcast.podbean.com/e/episode-1-federalism-and-coronavirus-in-north-america/ ... See MoreSee Less
Dr. Alan Fenna, Curtin University of Technology Dr. Marlene Kammerer, Universitt Bern Dr. Sean Mueller, Universit de Lausanne Dr. Peter Eckersley, Nottingham Trent University Prof. Araz Taeihagh University of Singapore Dr. Lili Li, National University of Singapore Mr. Charles Berthelet, Universit du Qubec Montral
The Forum of Federations hosted a panel at International Political Science Association 2021 discussing the opportunity for federal entities state, local and federal; to advance policy options addressing climate change.
Forum of Federations Senior Director, Phillip Gonzales, chaired the panel on climate change adaptation and mitigation efforts in federal and decentralized countries. The panel brought together experts and papers from across the globe presenting country case studies on approaches to address climate change and create and enforce environmental policies in the context of how federated units such as states and provinces are implementing policy to address climate change across jurisdictions.
It is increasingly evident that multilevel systems are able to address these challenges in a more nuanced and effective manner given the nature of policy implementation as noted by the Paris agreement, specifically by allowing for local and regional governments to better adapt their plans to their specific situations in order to meet the Paris Agreement targets for 2030 and 2050, as well as permitting policy experimentation in different jurisdictions, engaging in the creation of the classic federal idea of federal entities as laboratories for policy experimentation.
Case studies from Australia, China, Germany, Switzerland, and the United States, illustrated how provincial and local actors are taking massive strides to address climate change within the mechanism of federations.
Across all cases, the impacts of various political, geographic, economic, and industry factors were detailed as to their influence and impact on national efforts to address climate change and meet environmental emissions targets.
The conclusion of the panel was that all federal entities have a substantial role to play in efforts to mitigate climate change, furthermore, it was suggested provinces and local entities are, in many instances, well placed and vital actors in any national effort to implementing effective climate governance policy.
The presentation from each author was followed by an in-depth analysis and questions from the panel discussant, George Stairs, Project Officer at the Forum for Policy Research Programs. Healthy discussion among the panellists helped tease out different arguments and facets of their research, and will hopefully help to deepen the strength of the papers and the ultimate goal of influencing policymakers in federated units toward better climate mitigation practices.
The Forums ongoing research into Climate Change and Federative Governance is made possible through the support of the Gouvernement du Qubec
Upcoming Forum work in this area of federative governance is further research and support in efforts towards better climate governance at decentralized levels of government across Global South-South countries. Importantly there is the forthcoming comparative volume on this issue bringing together 14 different case studies anticipated to come in early 2022, Climate Governance and Federalism: A Forum of Federations Comparative Policy Analysis
Dibeen for Environmental Development ... See MoreSee Less
Originally posted here:
- Leave advocates of true federalism, self-determination alone; face banditry, terrorism, Afenifere tells Buhari - Vanguard - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - part 49 - Guardian - October 3rd, 2021
- The Smart Cities Mission is an assault on cooperative federalism - The News Minute - October 3rd, 2021
- I dont believe in 2023 elections -Afenifere leader Adebanjo - Punch Newspapers - October 3rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 48 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- States rights and the Constitution: What rights do states have? | Opinion - Deseret News - September 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 and Federalism in India: Capturing the Effects of State and Central Responses on Mobility - DocWire News - September 24th, 2021
- Opinion/Conley: RI's noble reasons for resisting the Constitution - The Providence Journal - September 24th, 2021
- Federalism and the Single National Curriculum - Geo News - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 46 - Guardian - September 10th, 2021
- Have SC's attempts to depoliticise police inadvertently led to a weakening of federalism? - Scroll.in - September 10th, 2021
- What is radical federalism, what would it look like and should Labour back it? - LabourList - September 10th, 2021
- Is the filibuster unconstitutional? | Opinion | murrayledger.com - Murray Ledger and Times - September 10th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 44 - Guardian - August 28th, 2021
- Some governors are mismanaging COVID and misunderstanding Federalism | TheHill - The Hill - August 28th, 2021
- Formulation of NEP live example of cooperative federalism: Pradhan - Business Standard - August 28th, 2021
- Modis authoritarianism has obliterated precept of federalism as envisaged by founding fathers of Constitution - National Herald - August 28th, 2021
- Just How Long Is the Long Arm of U.S. Jurisdiction? - Bloomberg Law - August 4th, 2021
- The Trump Administration Feuded With State and Local Leaders over Pandemic Response Now the Biden Administr - Governing - August 4th, 2021
- EPA, Army announce next steps for crafting definition of waters of the united states - Water Technology Online - August 4th, 2021
- EPA outlines plan to expand wetland protections - E&E News - August 4th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 40 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Lawyer Asks N'Assembly to Amend Constitution to Reflect True Federalism - THISDAY Newspapers - August 2nd, 2021
- Puntland turns 23 as it demonstrates a shining example of Somalia's federalism - Garowe Online - August 2nd, 2021
- Gyrgy Schpflin: 'EU Stumbled Up On Its Own Belief System, That More Europe Is The Answer To Everything' Interview - Eurasia Review - August 2nd, 2021
- Gov. Little signs on to pro-life, states' rights amicus brief seeking SCOTUS overrule of Roe v. Wade - Office of the Governor - Governor Brad Little - August 2nd, 2021
- Andrew RT Davies accuses media in Wales of having a 'nationalist agenda' - Nation.Cymru - August 2nd, 2021
- Federalism upheld, and cooperation - Economic Times - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 39 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - July 23rd, 2021
- Spirit of cooperative federalism is essential for GST to succeed - The Hindu - July 23rd, 2021
- Opinion | Canada's troubles with federalism are hindering progress on vaccine passport - StCatharinesStandard.ca - July 23rd, 2021
- FPJ Edit: It's up to the Centre to live up to its slogan of cooperative federalism and make the new ministry of cooperation a successful agent of... - July 23rd, 2021
- Federalism System - June 30th, 2021
- Federalism in Germany - Wikipedia - June 30th, 2021
- Democracy, Oppn and federalism - Daily Pioneer - June 30th, 2021
- Concepts of Federalism - CliffsNotes - June 30th, 2021
- NYC Ranked Choice Voting Reminds Us Why Federalism Is a Blessing - National Review - June 30th, 2021
- Time for Centre to embrace cooperative federalism for bullet train project? - Economic Times - June 30th, 2021
- Economist Richard Bird was a reservoir of knowledge on public finance - The Indian Express - June 30th, 2021
- Tamil Nadu Governor's speech stresses on state autonomy and federalism - Deccan Herald - June 27th, 2021
- What does the West Bengal chief secretary episode say about India federalism? - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2021
- For civil servants, Alapan Bandyopadhyay case highlights the perils of uncooperative federalism - Scroll.in - June 24th, 2021
- Breakdown of spirit of cooperative federalism at GST Council meetings: Bengal Minister - The Hindu - June 24th, 2021
- One nation, many governments: Why India must embrace federalism - The News Minute - June 24th, 2021
- Federalism is an issue for the whole of the UK - Morning Star Online - June 23rd, 2021
- Tamil Nadu governors address emphasises on state autonomy and federalism - THE WEEK - June 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19 Nepal: Federalism fared badly as politics and pandemic collided. What next? - Online Khabar (English) - June 23rd, 2021
- BJP cites PM Modis Punjab outreach to laud spirit of cooperative federalism - Hindustan Times - June 23rd, 2021
- 2023: True federalism needed to avoid post-election violence - The Nation Newspaper - June 23rd, 2021
- BBC defends failure to include pro-indy voice on EVEL discussion - The National - June 23rd, 2021
- The ABC of 1963 Constitution - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE - June 23rd, 2021
- With BJP in Delhi, states must find ways to regain autonomy - The Indian Express - June 18th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 34 | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Opinion - Guardian - June 18th, 2021
- Only NAssembly can Deal with Issues of Restructuring, Federalism, Says Buhari - THISDAY Newspapers - June 18th, 2021
- An authoritarian regime is assaulting federal principle of Constitution and trampling rights of states - National Herald - June 18th, 2021
- UPU harps on restructuring, true federalism as solution to insecurity - The Nation Newspaper - June 18th, 2021
- Lloyd Omdahl: The United States has outgrown federalism - Grand Forks Herald - June 9th, 2021
- By Upsetting Balance of Federalism, the Centre Is Playing a Dangerous Game - The Wire - June 9th, 2021
- United States has outgrown federalism | Columnists | willistonherald.com - Williston Daily Herald - June 9th, 2021
- Farmers Observe Unity in Federalism - The Citizen - June 9th, 2021
- Authoritarianism and its fragile blend with federalism in the Horn of Africa - Capital FM Kenya - June 9th, 2021
- Has the CPI(M) Forgotten its Strong Federal Roots? - The Wire - June 9th, 2021
- Centre's Tussle With Bengal Over Chief Secretary Reeks of Uncooperative Federalism - The Wire - June 6th, 2021
- How West Bengal CM and chief secretary have undermined federalism - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2021
- A problem called fiery federalism - The Times of India Blog - June 6th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 32 Opinion The Guardian Nigeria News Nigeria and World News - Guardian - June 6th, 2021
- Cooperative federalism in Covid: Keralas Vijayan writes to non-BJP CMs - Business Standard - June 6th, 2021
- PM Modis discomfort with non-BJP CMs is hurting the very concept of cooperative federalism - National Herald - June 6th, 2021
- Federalism, LG Autonomy Top Demands at Constitution Review Hearings - THISDAY Newspapers - June 6th, 2021
- Federalism is the answer, after all - Part 30 - Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- The virus gnaws at federalism: This pandemic is testing the robustness of the relationship between the Centre - The Times of India Blog - May 20th, 2021
- As BJP Aims to Homogenise India, Localised Resistance Can Restore Federalism - The Wire - May 20th, 2021
- Interpretations which impede a just social order - The Hindu - May 20th, 2021
- Southern Nigeria: Of Federalism and Conservative Rumblings, By Dakuku Peterside - Premium Times - May 20th, 2021
- Does the SNP have the law on its side? - Prospect Magazine - May 20th, 2021
- Struan Stevenson: There's a third way between independence and status quo but it's already doomed - HeraldScotland - May 20th, 2021
- Federalism: Overview | SparkNotes - May 11th, 2021
- What is Federalism? - WorldAtlas - May 11th, 2021
- Probing federalism: The Supremacy Clause | Columnists | willistonherald.com - Williston Daily Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Poll results show the power of federalism - Hindustan Times - May 11th, 2021