Big Tech platforms Meta Platforms Inc, formerly known as Facebook, and Google have been hit with a series of antitrust lawsuits by the U.S. federal government and states on charges they are operating monopolies and abusing their power.
Below is the status of the cases, as well as government probes of Apple Inc. and Amazon.com Inc.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission filed a new complaint against Facebook in mid-August 2021, adding more detail on the accusation the social media company crushed or bought rivals and once again asking a judge to force the social media giant to sell Instagram and WhatsApp. The agency did so at the invitation of Judge James Boasberg, who had said that its previous effort fell short. Facebook has asked for the lawsuit to be dismissed with prejudice.
Boasberg, however, threw out a related state lawsuit, saying the attorneys general had waited too long.
Four lawsuits against Google:
The U.S. Justice Department sued Alphabet Incs Google in October 2000, accusing the $1 trillion company of illegally using its market muscle to hobble rivals. A trial date was set for Sept. 12, 2023.
The government is preparing to file a second lawsuit focused on the companys digital advertising business.
A lawsuit by 38 U.S. states and territories accuses Google of abusing its market power to try to make its search engine as dominant inside cars, TVs and speakers as it is in cellphones. This was consolidated with the federal lawsuit for purposes of discovery.
Texas, backed by other states, filed a separate lawsuit against Google in December 2020, accusing it of breaking antitrust law in how it runs its online advertising business.
Dozens of state attorneys general sued Google on July 7, alleging it bought off competitors and used restrictive contracts to unlawfully maintain a monopoly for its app store on Android phones.
Justice Department investigates Apple:
This probe, revealed in June 2019, appears to focus on Apple Incs app store. Some app developers have accused Apple of introducing new products very similar to existing apps created by other developers and sold in the Apple Store, and then trying to banish the older apps from the store because they compete with Apples new product. Apple says it seeks to have only the highest-quality apps in the app store.
Federal Trade Commission on Amazon:
In its investigation of, the FTC is likely looking at the inherent conflict of interest of Amazon competing with small sellers on its marketplace platform, including allegations that it used information from sellers on its platform to decide what products it would introduce.
(Reporting by Diane Bartz in Washington; Editing by Lisa Shumaker, Matthew Lewis and Dan Grebler)
Topics Lawsuits USA InsurTech Tech
Get automatic alerts for this topic.
Here is the original post:
- Douglas Schoen: Americans are united in wanting Congress to rein in Big Tech's power over news publishing - Chicago Tribune - April 25th, 2022
- Communication ETFs fall to 18-month lows ahead of big tech earnings - Seeking Alpha - April 25th, 2022
- Just Another Manic Monday Big Tech Weak? - TheStreet - April 25th, 2022
- Big Tech hiring cements Canada's status as Silicon Valley North but there's a catch - CBC News - April 25th, 2022
- In the Battle Against Illiberalism, Don't Take Big Tech for Granted - The National Interest Online - April 25th, 2022
- Will the internet's third iteration free our virtual selves from Big Tech's control? - The New Statesman - April 25th, 2022
- Global Digital Health Market Outlook 2022 - Big Tech Using On-demand Services in Primary Care to Strengthen its Hold in Healthcare - PR Newswire - April 25th, 2022
- Antitrust Reformers Debate Partnering With Bigots To Take On 'Big Tech' - Techdirt - April 15th, 2022
- Here's the typical pay for a Big Tech worker in Austin - Austonia - April 15th, 2022
- MLB forays into the future with new tech for the old ball game - TechCrunch - April 15th, 2022
- Apple privacy protections expected to cost big tech firms $16 billion in coming year - MarTech - April 15th, 2022
- Common Knowledge: Big tech and the digital commons - Resilience - April 15th, 2022
- DuckDuckGo readying browser to compete with big tech products from Google, Apple - Washington Times - April 15th, 2022
- Big Techs battle for the metaverse will come down to ethics - Quartz - April 15th, 2022
- IonQ: Enormous Valuation And The Competition Is Big-Tech - Seeking Alpha - April 15th, 2022
- Panelists Urge Government Resist Getting Involved in Content Moderation - BroadbandBreakfast.com - April 15th, 2022
- Daily Tearsheet: CarbonPay's sustainability-focused payment card, and tech's newfound interest in carbon capture Tearsheet - Tearsheet - April 15th, 2022
- The Senate bill that has Big Tech scared - Ars Technica - April 11th, 2022
- What the Wiki Big Tech Site Tells Us About Competition - CDOTrends - April 11th, 2022
- Cathy ONeil: Big tech makes use of shame to profit from our interactions - The Guardian - April 11th, 2022
- Dr. Oz Wants To Fight Big Tech In The Senate. He Owns At Least $10 Million In Shares Of Alphabet, Amazon, Apple And Microsoft. - Forbes - April 11th, 2022
- Jaws Actor Richard Dreyfuss Says Big Tech's Censorship Is A "Despicable" Practice That Threatens Free Speech - Bounding Into Comics - April 11th, 2022
- GoTo Shares Jump After Raising $1.1 Billion in One of 2022s Biggest IPOs - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2022
- 'Birtherism' to the 'Big Lie': Inside Obama's fight to counter disinformation - WDJT - April 11th, 2022
- Big Abortion's Big Tech Allies Aim to Censor Pro-Lifers. They Won't Win. - Daily Signal - April 9th, 2022
- Despite railing against Big Tech and Big Pharma, records show Dr. Oz has invested millions in both - ABC News - April 9th, 2022
- Elizabeth Warrens plan to break up Big Tech and other mergers - Vox.com - April 9th, 2022
- Canada wants Big Tech to share its riches with news publishers - The Register - April 9th, 2022
- The Metaverse is a Huge Opportunity for Education. Big Tech Must Not Ruin It | Opinion - Newsweek - April 9th, 2022
- Russian Disinformation, Canadian Big Tech, WideOpenWest Sale, Broadband Emerging Leaders - BroadbandBreakfast.com - April 9th, 2022
- 'Don't Break my Prime?' Actually, it's time to move fast and break....Big Tech bobsullivan.net - Bob Sullivan.net - April 9th, 2022
- Downtown Austin is looking like itself again as big tech returns to the office - Austonia - April 9th, 2022
- These people lead sustainability within Big Tech. Here's how much power they actually have. - Protocol - April 9th, 2022
- Why Elon Musk's Twitter move is supercharging the Big Tech debate - Fox News - April 9th, 2022
- Big Tech's fast-and-dirty employment honeymoon is over as Amazon unionises - City A.M. - April 9th, 2022
- Is Big Tech 'Targeting' the Elderly a Point of Concern? - hackernoon.com - April 9th, 2022
- Why Alibaba And Other Big Tech Stocks Are Shooting Up In Hong Kong Today - Benzinga - Benzinga - April 9th, 2022
- Americans Deserve a Fair Fight Against Big Tech InsideSources - InsideSources - April 2nd, 2022
- Government tech shouldnt be the minor leagues - Protocol - April 2nd, 2022
- To Stop Online Hate, Big Tech Must Let Those Being Targeted Lead the Way - Algemeiner - April 2nd, 2022
- Big tech is fixing bugs faster. Will that influence trickle down? - CIO Dive - April 2nd, 2022
- Media and Big Tech censorship is alive and well - Washington Times - April 2nd, 2022
- Power Moves: A new focus for Lynsie Campbell and big tech names on CMU's list of honorary degree recipients - Technical.ly - April 2nd, 2022
- How Google and Amazon bankrolled a 'grassroots' activist group of small business owners to lobby against Big Tech oversight - CNBC - March 31st, 2022
- DOJ backs bills that could kneecap Big Tech - Axios - March 31st, 2022
- Watchdog Group Publishes Encyclopedia of All the Nasty Things Big Tech Has Done - Gizmodo - March 31st, 2022
- Local Tennessee officials need to regulate big tech and protect our small businesses | Opinion - Tennessean - March 31st, 2022
- Freedom to Think by Susie Alegre review the big tech threat to free thought - The Guardian - March 31st, 2022
- In a Climate Crisis, the Future Relies Alarmingly on Big Tech - The New York Times - March 31st, 2022
- S&P 500 ends higher with financials as Treasury yields jump - Reuters - March 31st, 2022
- U.S. Senate votes to move forward with Alvaro Bedoya's nomination to the FTC - Fox Business - March 31st, 2022
- Physics - Seeking Diversity When Faced with Adversity - Physics - March 29th, 2022
- A Big Swing at Big Tech - The New York Times - March 27th, 2022
- Australia to make Big Tech hand over misinformation data - Reuters - March 27th, 2022
- States Could Let Parents Sue Big Tech for Addicting Kids. Here's What That Really Means. - TIME - March 27th, 2022
- If Congress Doesn't Rein In Big Tech, Censors Will Eliminate The Right From Public Discourse - The Federalist - March 27th, 2022
- Michael Hiltzik: That big tech exodus out of California turns out to be a bust - The Denver Gazette - March 27th, 2022
- Stigler Conversation: How the Chinese Government Thinks About Big Tech - ProMarket - March 27th, 2022
- Liberals and conservatives bash Big Techs preparations for midterm elections - Washington Examiner - March 27th, 2022
- ACCC vs Big Tech: Round 10 and counting - University News: The University of Western Australia - March 27th, 2022
- Rajeev Chandrasekhar: Need to relook laws to de-risk Indian internet, make it difficult for Big Tech to be weaponised - The Indian Express - March 27th, 2022
- A Populist Attack on Big Tech - Econlib - March 4th, 2022
- Big Tech companies are harming not helping healthcare - MedCity News - March 4th, 2022
- This Big Tech company 'surprises and delights employees to keep them happy - CNBC - March 4th, 2022
- How are the big tech companies responding to the invasion of Ukraine? - Sky News - March 4th, 2022
- Tech companies like Facebook and Twitter have a Russia problem - Vox.com - March 4th, 2022
- Covid News: U.S. to Offer Covid-Fighting Tech to Other Nations - The New York Times - March 4th, 2022
- Bren with Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway on Pivot, Reverence, and What's Behind Big Tech - Brene Brown - March 4th, 2022
- The Leader podcast: Big techs role in the Ukraine conflict - Evening Standard - March 4th, 2022
- Opinion | Tech Offers a Silver Lining in Ukraine - The New York Times - March 4th, 2022
- Every Netflix original TV show and movie has BIG tech secret have you spotted it?... - The Sun - March 4th, 2022
- We were supposed to rein in Big Tech now we're making them Britain's woke police - The Telegraph - March 4th, 2022
- Report calls on feds to help level the playing field between Canadian media and big tech - CP24 Toronto's Breaking News - March 4th, 2022
- Do Federal Lawmakers Have the Stomach to Rein in Big Tech? - KQED - February 19th, 2022
- The rise of big tech may just be starting - Standard Speaker - February 19th, 2022
- Bossing it: why the women of big tech are taking over the small screen - The Guardian - February 19th, 2022
- Metas plunge is unmatched among big tech stocks in recent years - Aljazeera.com - February 19th, 2022
- His journalist daughter was killed. Now he wants to fix big tech in Congress - The Guardian - February 19th, 2022
- How big technology systems are slowing innovation - MIT Technology Review - February 19th, 2022
- Big Tech vs Reliance Industries and Paytm on data localisation row - Deccan Herald - February 19th, 2022