U.S. stocks climbed to record levels on Tuesday as major corporations continued to turn in solid quarterly results, but major averages closed off their highs of the day with some major tech names rolling over.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 15.73 points to close at another record high of 35,756.88. At one point, the 30-stock Dow climbed about 150 points to hit an all-time high. The S&P 500 rose nearly 0.2%, hitting a fresh record as well at 4,574.79. The Nasdaq Composite rose less than 0.1% to 15,235.71.
An intraday reversal in shares of Facebook weighed on major averages at midday. After trading flat to higher to start the session, Facebook shares dropped more than 5% at the session low and closed 3.9% lower. The company topped analysts' earnings expectations but missed estimates for revenue and monthly active users.
Tesla erased earlier gains and fell 0.6% Tuesday after the electric vehicle company soared more than 12% in the previous session to reach a $1 trillion market cap for the first time.
United Parcel Service saw its shares jump 6.9% after the shipping firm posted strong beats on profit and revenue across all business segments. Dow component 3M dipped 0.1% despite beating expectations on the top and bottom lines.
General Electric rose 2% after the company issued an upward revision to its full-year earnings forecast while reporting higher than expected third-quarter profit.
Nearly 30% S&P 500 companied have reportedearnings and more than 80% of them beat Wall Street expectations, according to CNBC calculations. S&P 500 companies are expected to grow profit by about 35.6% in the third quarter.
"Risk appetite remains on the table for U.S. equities," said Craig Johnson, Piper Sandler's chief market technician."Corporate earnings have been the key catalyst behind the recent record-high rally as robust demand continues to offset well-known supply constraints and pricing pressures."
Technology darlings Alphabet and Microsoft traded higher heading into their earnings reports after the bell Tuesday. Microsoft bulls are expecting a strong quarter for the tech giant, bolstered by its key Azure business. Analysts are expecting Alphabet earnings to come in 43% higher year over year.
Twitter, Advanced Micro Devices and Robinhood also report quarterly earnings after the bell on Tuesday.
"Earnings season is off to another great start, but now the big test is will the big tech names step up? With stocks at all-time highs, the bar is indeed quite high and tech will need to impress to help justify stocks at current levels," said Ryan Detrick, chief market strategist atLPLFinancial.
On the data front, U.S. consumer confidence rose in October, reversing a three-month downward trend, according to the Conference Board. Its consumer confidence index climbed to a reading of 113.8, topping a Dow Jones expectation of 108 and up from 109.8 in September.
Read more here:
- Microsoft's Activision Blizzard deal complicates Big Tech regulation - Axios - January 19th, 2022
- CNBC exclusive: Watch live as FTC Chair Lina Khan sits down with Andrew Ross Sorkin and Kara Swisher to discuss her plans to take on Big Tech - CNBC - January 19th, 2022
- Democrats introduce bill to ban targeted advertising by Big Tech firms - Business Insider - January 19th, 2022
- Fines for breaches of EU privacy law spike sevenfold to $1.2 billion, as Big Tech bears the brunt - CNBC - January 19th, 2022
- McCarthys love-hate relationship with Silicon Valley - POLITICO - January 19th, 2022
- Big Tech Thugs and Their Allies | Editorial Columns - Brunswick News - January 19th, 2022
- Canada is sleepwalking into bed with Big Tech, as politicos float between firms and public office - Toronto Star - January 19th, 2022
- If Congress Is Serious About Regulation, They'll Stop Day Trading Stocks - CMSWire - January 19th, 2022
- Jan. 6 committees big tech subpoenas might be the GOP's biggest threat - MSNBC - January 19th, 2022
- Breeding grounds for radicalization: Capitol attack panel signals loss of patience with big tech - The Guardian - January 14th, 2022
- Josh Hawley Was The Democrats' Partner In Trying To Regulate Big Tech; Then The Public Realized He Was A Fascist - Techdirt - January 14th, 2022
- Donald Morrison: Is Congress ready for the war against Big Tech and big money like Facebook and Google? - Berkshire Eagle - January 14th, 2022
- Tech giants play the blame game - Axios - January 14th, 2022
- EU closes in on regulating big tech with Digital Markets Act - TechTarget - January 14th, 2022
- Executive migration from big tech to startup picks up pace - Business Chief - January 14th, 2022
- The Humanities Can't Save Big Tech From Itself - WIRED - January 14th, 2022
- Chipmakers are set to be 'winners' as the metaverse takes off - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Amazon falls to lowest since May as Big Tech weakness continues - BetaBoston - January 14th, 2022
- Opinion/Minow and Hadjipanteli: Congress must stop Big Tech's threat to the press - The Providence Journal - January 14th, 2022
- 15 Years Ago, the iPhone Created 'Big Tech' - PCMag - January 14th, 2022
- Big tech, regulators and conservationists must unite to tackle online wildlife trade - The Conversation CA - January 14th, 2022
- The Big Tech Show: Learning lessons from Theranos - is it okay for startups to fake it until they make it? - Independent.ie - January 14th, 2022
- Why Big Tech's best and brightest are jumping ship to web3 - Yahoo News - January 14th, 2022
- TCS, Infosys, WiproIndias big tech giants hire 51,000 in Q3 alone - Times Now - January 14th, 2022
- What Oracle's acquisition of Cerner could mean for big tech in health - Mobihealth News - December 23rd, 2021
- What the top crypto execs predict for the industry in 2022: Regulation and a Big Tech 'brain drain' - CNBC - December 23rd, 2021
- We're living in an age of big tech promises and small results - Fast Company - December 23rd, 2021
- Biden's big bill is dead. What tech provisions might live on? - Politico - December 23rd, 2021
- Meatless meat, Web 3.0 and Big Tech battles: Tech trends we look forward to in 2022 - The Daily Star - December 23rd, 2021
- Big Tech Censorship of COVID Information Leads to Vaccine ... - December 19th, 2021
- Conservative Legislator Censored By Big Tech The Floridian - December 19th, 2021
- Big Tech is Luring Congress into a Regulation Trap | Opinion - Newsweek - December 19th, 2021
- Nonprofits have the answers to improve social media: Big Tech has the resources to make it happen - TechCrunch - December 19th, 2021
- Scared about the threat of AI? Its the big tech giants that need reining in - The Guardian - December 19th, 2021
- In the room where it happens: Ex-Qualcomm attorney Don Rosenberg talks legal battles in big tech - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 19th, 2021
- Ending the Urge to Merge: The House and Senate Take on Big Tech M&A - Public Knowledge Tech News and Comment - December 19th, 2021
- 'Land of the lawless': UK politicians urge government to enforce stricter rules on Big Tech - CNBC - December 19th, 2021
- Big Tech's Threat To The Fashion Industry - Analytics India Magazine - December 19th, 2021
- Left and right take aim at Big Tech and the First Amendment | TheHill - The Hill - December 10th, 2021
- These 6 overvalued stocks are making the S&P 500 look more pricey than it really is - MarketWatch - December 10th, 2021
- 2010: Big Tech is watching you - Siliconrepublic.com - December 10th, 2021
- Alphabet Is The Best Value In Big Tech - Motley Fool - December 10th, 2021
- We shouldnt be proud of Indians dominating Big Tech - The Times of India Blog - December 10th, 2021
- Big Tech's private networks and protocols threaten the 'net, say internet registries - The Register - December 10th, 2021
- We have no intention of becoming a bank: Is Big Tech really a threat to banks? Tearsheet - Tearsheet - December 10th, 2021
- Donald Trump Says This 'Important Message' Is Being Sent To Big Tech - The List - December 10th, 2021
- Biden's Summit for Democracy Won't Address Big Tech's Threat to Personal Freedom - Barron's - December 10th, 2021
- New Zealand publishers want collective bargaining rights for big tech talks - Press Gazette - December 10th, 2021
- Nvidia's big ambitions could be its Achilles' heel in the Arm deal - The Verge - December 10th, 2021
- How Big Tech Is Faring in U.S. Lawsuits and Probes - Insurance Journal - December 10th, 2021
- Europe reins in Big Tech: What you need to know - POLITICO.eu - November 25th, 2021
- How the Federal Trade Commission Can Break Up Big Tech - Progressive.org - November 25th, 2021
- The Irish DPC Slapped With Corruption Allegations; South Korea Place Big Tech Under the Microscope - ExchangeWire - November 25th, 2021
- The US has an education problem, but is Big Tech really the answer? - TechCrunch - November 25th, 2021
- OPINION | Is Big Tech bad at business? | Op-Ed | livingstonparishnews.com - The Livingston Parish News - November 25th, 2021
- Big Tech Is Fighting Over Who Gets to Build a Cloud for the Pentagon - Tech.co - November 25th, 2021
- USPTO Dodges Attack from Big Tech to Rein in Discretionary IPR Denials - The National Law Review - November 25th, 2021
- What Cramer is watching in the market Monday, including a big tech trend emerging - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Big Tech at COP26: Here's who attended the climate talks and what roles they played - CNET - November 25th, 2021
- Josh Hawley blasts Big Tech after Rittenhouse verdict: 'Think they're above the law' - Fox Business - November 25th, 2021
- Good tech developments and changes in 2021 - Popular Science - November 25th, 2021
- DBS Bank strategits sees Big Tech as big beneficiaries of the Metaverse - CoinJournal - November 25th, 2021
- Beijing issues fines for 43 Big Tech M&A deals all the way back to 2012 - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- The Big Tech propaganda on the Kyle Rittenhouse trial: Why India should be wary of social media giants furthering liberal agenda - OpIndia - November 25th, 2021
- Europes fractured approach to digital regulation stymies fight against Big Tech - POLITICO.eu - November 17th, 2021
- Senate Approves Jonathan Kanter, a Big Tech Critic, As Top U.S. Antitrust Official - The New York Times - November 17th, 2021
- Antitrust hawks offer states a toolbox for regulating Big Tech - Roll Call - November 17th, 2021
- Big Techs assault on workers and democracy must be stopped - Capitol Weekly - November 17th, 2021
- The Tech Gifts That Are Hard to Buy This Holiday Season - The New York Times - November 17th, 2021
- New CFPB Chief Rohit Chopra Confirmed By Senate And Takes Immediate Action Against Big Tech Firms - Consumer Protection - United States - Mondaq News... - November 17th, 2021
- Federal Agencies Need to Be Staffed to Advance Broadband and Tech Competition - EFF - November 17th, 2021
- Restore Net Neutrality, Or Facebook Will Dominate The Internet Forever - VICE - November 17th, 2021
- 10 Big Tech Companies Using Python to Streamline Processes - Analytics Insight - November 17th, 2021
- IC Interviews webinar: The big tech trajectory for investors: US vs the world - Investors Chronicle - November 17th, 2021
- Nicholas Thompson on the outsized influence of Big Tech - GZERO Media - November 17th, 2021
- Big Tech is still headed for its biggest year ever, but Apple and Amazon could cut into profit - MarketWatch - October 30th, 2021
- With Facebooks change to Meta, whats the new Big Tech acronym? - The Verge - October 30th, 2021
- What is the metaverse? A look at what Big Tech views as the next stage of the internet - WGNO New Orleans - October 30th, 2021
- Is Big Tech 'greenwashing' its environmental responsibilities ahead of COP26? - Yahoo Tech - October 30th, 2021
- What is the Australian government doing to crack down on big tech, and why? - The Guardian Australia - October 30th, 2021