The logos of mobile apps, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Netflix, are displayed on a screen in this illustration picture taken December 3, 2019.
WASHINGTON, Oct 5 (Reuters Breakingviews) - A whistleblowers claim that Facebook (FB.O) chased profit rather than rein in hate speech leaves two questions for policymakers to answer: Do the social networks actions merit a regulatory response, and if so, what should it be? One answer to the second question might be to put a cap on the companys ability to sign up new users.
Facebooks critics are getting more airtime read more , and politicians are on the alert. Frances Haugen, who was a product manager at Facebook, is due to testify before the Senate on Tuesday, after detailing on the 60 Minutes show on Sunday the ways in which she says the platform failed to act on socially destructive content .
In some ways its a riff on an old theme. Alphabet-owned (GOOGL.O) video service YouTube last week banned Covid-19 vaccine misinformation after such topics flooded its site. Complaints filed by Amazon.com (AMZN.O) workers to the National Labor Relations Board have shot up during the pandemic. Chief executives have testified multiple times before Congress, and the Federal Trade Commission slapped a record $5 billion privacy-related fine on Facebook in 2019.
Still, the profit machine keeps humming read more . Facebooks second-quarter revenue jumped by 56% year-over-year and it has 3.5 billion monthly active users on its family of platforms. Ad sales for YouTube, with 2 billion monthly viewers, grew by 84%. Amazon is growing rapidly, too.
Technology regulators could instead take a page from a Wall Street watchdog read more . In 2018 after a wave of fake account scandals, the U.S. Federal Reserve ordered Wells Fargo (WFC.N) to keep its assets below a certain level just under $2 trillion until it improved its governance and risk management. That unusual cap remains in place.
A similar ceiling on user or subscriber growth, if policymakers decide its merited, would have a rapid effect. Such metrics are an obsession for Silicon Valley, fueling their influence and revenue, and share prices.
China got there already: Its government in July barred ride-hailing firm Didi Global (DIDI.N) from acquiring new users pending a data security investigation. In the United States, Congress would likely have to legislate such a penalty and grant authority to a regulator like the FTC to enforce it. Thats no simple task. But even the threat of such a move might get Big Tech to take its social impact more seriously.
Follow @GinaChon on Twitter
- A Facebook whistleblower on Oct. 3 said the company repeatedly put profit over cracking down on misinformation and knew that its Instagram unit hurt the mental health of teenage girls, according to an interview on 60 Minutes.
- Frances Haugen, a former product manager on the civic misinformation team at Facebook, also said her lawyers have filed at least eight complaints about the social media platform with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. She provided documents for a Wall Street Journal investigation on Facebook and will appear at a Senate hearing on Oct. 5.
Editing by John Foley and Marjorie Backman
Reuters Breakingviews is the world's leading source of agenda-setting financial insight. As the Reuters brand for financial commentary, we dissect the big business and economic stories as they break around the world every day. A global team of about 30 correspondents in New York, London, Hong Kong and other major cities provides expert analysis in real time.
Sign up for a free trial of our full service at https://www.breakingviews.com/trial and follow us on Twitter @Breakingviews and at http://www.breakingviews.com. All opinions expressed are those of the authors.
Read the rest here:
- Europe reins in Big Tech: What you need to know - POLITICO.eu - November 25th, 2021
- How the Federal Trade Commission Can Break Up Big Tech - Progressive.org - November 25th, 2021
- The Irish DPC Slapped With Corruption Allegations; South Korea Place Big Tech Under the Microscope - ExchangeWire - November 25th, 2021
- The US has an education problem, but is Big Tech really the answer? - TechCrunch - November 25th, 2021
- OPINION | Is Big Tech bad at business? | Op-Ed | livingstonparishnews.com - The Livingston Parish News - November 25th, 2021
- Big Tech Is Fighting Over Who Gets to Build a Cloud for the Pentagon - Tech.co - November 25th, 2021
- USPTO Dodges Attack from Big Tech to Rein in Discretionary IPR Denials - The National Law Review - November 25th, 2021
- What Cramer is watching in the market Monday, including a big tech trend emerging - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Big Tech at COP26: Here's who attended the climate talks and what roles they played - CNET - November 25th, 2021
- Josh Hawley blasts Big Tech after Rittenhouse verdict: 'Think they're above the law' - Fox Business - November 25th, 2021
- Good tech developments and changes in 2021 - Popular Science - November 25th, 2021
- DBS Bank strategits sees Big Tech as big beneficiaries of the Metaverse - CoinJournal - November 25th, 2021
- Beijing issues fines for 43 Big Tech M&A deals all the way back to 2012 - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- The Big Tech propaganda on the Kyle Rittenhouse trial: Why India should be wary of social media giants furthering liberal agenda - OpIndia - November 25th, 2021
- Europes fractured approach to digital regulation stymies fight against Big Tech - POLITICO.eu - November 17th, 2021
- Senate Approves Jonathan Kanter, a Big Tech Critic, As Top U.S. Antitrust Official - The New York Times - November 17th, 2021
- Antitrust hawks offer states a toolbox for regulating Big Tech - Roll Call - November 17th, 2021
- Big Techs assault on workers and democracy must be stopped - Capitol Weekly - November 17th, 2021
- The Tech Gifts That Are Hard to Buy This Holiday Season - The New York Times - November 17th, 2021
- New CFPB Chief Rohit Chopra Confirmed By Senate And Takes Immediate Action Against Big Tech Firms - Consumer Protection - United States - Mondaq News... - November 17th, 2021
- Federal Agencies Need to Be Staffed to Advance Broadband and Tech Competition - EFF - November 17th, 2021
- Restore Net Neutrality, Or Facebook Will Dominate The Internet Forever - VICE - November 17th, 2021
- 10 Big Tech Companies Using Python to Streamline Processes - Analytics Insight - November 17th, 2021
- IC Interviews webinar: The big tech trajectory for investors: US vs the world - Investors Chronicle - November 17th, 2021
- Nicholas Thompson on the outsized influence of Big Tech - GZERO Media - November 17th, 2021
- Big Tech is still headed for its biggest year ever, but Apple and Amazon could cut into profit - MarketWatch - October 30th, 2021
- With Facebooks change to Meta, whats the new Big Tech acronym? - The Verge - October 30th, 2021
- What is the metaverse? A look at what Big Tech views as the next stage of the internet - WGNO New Orleans - October 30th, 2021
- Is Big Tech 'greenwashing' its environmental responsibilities ahead of COP26? - Yahoo Tech - October 30th, 2021
- What is the Australian government doing to crack down on big tech, and why? - The Guardian Australia - October 30th, 2021
- Apple & Amazon on Deck as Big Techs Big Week Is A Bit Mixed - The Ticker Tape - October 30th, 2021
- Cramer rejects calls to break up Big Tech, says U.S. government is wrong to target it - CNBC - October 28th, 2021
- Point: It's time to rein in Big Tech's power - WORLD News Group - October 28th, 2021
- Big techs push for automation hides the grim reality of microwork - The Guardian - October 28th, 2021
- US stocks end mixed as Big Tech continues to shine - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - October 28th, 2021
- Hedge Fund's Confidence In Five Big Tech Companies Sinks To Multi-Year Low - The Motley Fool - October 28th, 2021
- The art of techplomacy: How Denmark deals with Big Tech - Verdict - October 28th, 2021
- Small business advocacy group asks lawmakers to rethink Big Tech regulation strategy - The Georgia Virtue - October 28th, 2021
- Tesla drives up S&P 500s disruptive tech exposure as the index rides to record highs in October - MarketWatch - October 28th, 2021
- Facebook revelations add new momentum to efforts to rein in Big Tech - Henry Herald - October 26th, 2021
- Hauenstein Center hosts discussion event on big tech - Grand Valley Lanthorn - October 26th, 2021
- Dow rises for a third straight day to eke out another record on the back of strong earnings - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Hagerty urges Sanders to oppose immigration provisions backed by Big Tech in Dem spending bill - Fox News - October 26th, 2021
- UK hands Big Tech headache over to super-regulator - POLITICO.eu - October 26th, 2021
- Our society is troubled. Beware those who blame it all on big tech - The Guardian - October 24th, 2021
- Big Tech earnings in the week ahead could test stocks' recent rally - CNBC - October 24th, 2021
- Dow hit by IBM results, Nasdaq rises on gains in Big Tech - Reuters - October 24th, 2021
- Big Tech Falsely Claims They're Protecting Americans From China - The Federalist - October 24th, 2021
- New Whistleblower Sparks Calls to 'Crack Down on Facebook and All Big Tech Companies' - Common Dreams - October 24th, 2021
- Most big tech firms have become places where talent goes to die: Elon Musk - Economic Times - October 24th, 2021
- What Does Big Tech Know About You? Basically Everything - PCMag AU - October 24th, 2021
- Daily Crunch: To stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech, Trump launches social network - TechCrunch - October 21st, 2021
- How Whistleblowers Have Put Big Tech On The Back Foot : 1A - NPR - October 21st, 2021
- Bill Gates Says Climate Startups Have Big Tech PotentialBut Theyre Not for Everyone - Observer - October 21st, 2021
- What big tech doesn't have when it comes to healthcare - Modern Healthcare - October 21st, 2021
- AMZN vs. GOOG: Which Is The Better Big Tech Stock Today? - TheStreet - October 21st, 2021
- Facebook can be its own country when it gets an army - The Week Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- The Technopolar Moment: How Digital Powers Will Reshape the Global Order - Foreign Affairs Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- The Big Tech Activists Turning the Tables on Silicon Valley - Business Insider - October 19th, 2021
- Big Tech's big challenge to the global order - GZERO Media - October 19th, 2021
- 21st Century mythologies: The rise (and fall?) of Big Tech - Observer Research Foundation - October 19th, 2021
- Paul Hopkins: Big Tech, and advent of the whistleblower - Meath Chronicle - October 19th, 2021
- Adrian Shahbaz and Allie Funk: Governments are coming for Big Tech. Here's what it could mean for your rights online - TribLIVE - October 19th, 2021
- This fund wants to fight Big Tech. NGOs fear the worst. - POLITICO.eu - October 19th, 2021
- FTC Releases Findings on How Big Tech Eats Little Tech ... - October 15th, 2021
- Unchecked Big Tech Endangers U.S. National Security | Opinion - October 15th, 2021
- Invoking 'Big Tech' as an accusation can endanger American security | TheHill - The Hill - October 15th, 2021
- Big Tech censorship on climate change only hurts the nation - New York Post - October 15th, 2021
- This charity wants to cure or kill Big Tech - Wired.co.uk - October 15th, 2021
- Government and Big Tech must tackle online harassment against journalists - The Globe and Mail - October 15th, 2021
- The dangers of lawmakers contradiction and confusion on Big Tech - Yahoo News - October 15th, 2021
- Leaving Big Tech for a Startup? These 7 Staffers Have Done Just That. - Business Insider - October 15th, 2021
- As Big Tech Grows in the Pandemic, Seattle Grows With It - The New York Times - October 13th, 2021
- There Is No Bipartisan Consensus on Big Tech - WIRED - October 13th, 2021
- Europe's top 'tech cop' is ready to take on Big Tech with America - POLITICO - October 13th, 2021
- Biden's nominees show embrace of progressive views of Big Tech - Roll Call - October 13th, 2021
- Big Tech, Big Government, bigger concerns - The Boston Globe - October 13th, 2021
- Big tech sweeps up Hill staffers just when Congress needs them the most - POLITICO - October 13th, 2021
- How Big Tech Threatens the Culture of Our Communities - Governing - October 13th, 2021
- Big Tech to be forced to hand over data on political ads - POLITICO.eu - October 13th, 2021