Good morning and welcome to 10 Things in Tech. If this was forwarded to you, sign up here.
Let's get started.
1. Tesla just had its most profitable quarter yet. Despite supply chain issues complicating car production, the company surpassed Wall Street's expectations and exceeded $1 billion in quarterly profits for the first time. Here are the numbers you should know.
2. Stocks finished at record highs as investors set their sights on Big Tech's earning reports. Dow industrials pushed beyond 35,000 in Monday's record-setting highs as investors prepare for this week's reports from Alphabet, Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook. More on that here.
3. Experts outlined what could be a nightmare scenario for Amazon Web Services. AWS is both at the top of its game and in a crucial transition period as Adam Selipsky takes over for Andy Jassy as CEO. Here's what experts said could be AWS's "doomsday scenario" in this moment of change.
4. Tesla's Full Self-Driving tech is being fooled by the moon, billboards, and Burger King signs. Tesla drivers are posting videos of their cars confusing the moon for a traffic light, or being tricked into stopping at a billboard. See videos of the cars getting bamboozled.
5. That online menu you read by scanning a QR code might still be tracking you. Experts are worried that offline behavior like eating out with friends is turning into a way to track you online. Here's what we know so far.
6. Facebook is letting religious groups charge users $9.99 per month for exclusive content. A US church is using new tools from the social-media platform that let it charge for access to specialized content, like messages from the bishop. Read up on Facebook's partnership with religious groups.
7. Jeff Bezos offered to pay billions if NASA allowed Blue Origin to compete with SpaceX for a moon-lander contract. In an open letter to NASA, Bezos offered to cover $2 billion for the Human Landing System program and criticized NASA's decision to select SpaceX as the sole winner. Get the full rundown here.
8. Crime-tracking app Citizen could pay people to livestream crime scenes and fires. The app is on the market for "field team members" who would get paid $25 to interview witnesses and report "behind police tape" in NYC and Los Angeles. Here's how it'd work.
9. HashiCorp founder Mitchell Hashimoto has left the CTO role at his startup to just be a programmer again. Hashitomo previously served as co-CTO with cofounder Armon Dadgar and before that CEO. He explained to Insider why he pivoted back to hands-on engineering.
10. Biden wants to "win the EV market" a hope that hinges on beating China in a battery arms race. The president plans to spend $174 billion to force the country away from combustion engines, a major play against China, which currently dominates electric-vehicle production. More on Biden's hope for the future of American cars.
Event alert: On Thursday at 12 p.m. ET, attend a free event sponsored by Healthy.io, in which regulators and health tech pioneers will explore new ways to adapt the speed of digital innovation. Register here.
Compiled by Jordan Erb. Tips/comments? Email email@example.com or tweet @JordanParkerErb.
Sign up for more Insider newsletters here.
See the rest here:
- Equity Monday: Welcome to Big Tech hardware week - TechCrunch - October 19th, 2021
- Facebook can be its own country when it gets an army - The Week Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- The Technopolar Moment: How Digital Powers Will Reshape the Global Order - Foreign Affairs Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- The Big Tech Activists Turning the Tables on Silicon Valley - Business Insider - October 19th, 2021
- Big Tech's big challenge to the global order - GZERO Media - October 19th, 2021
- 21st Century mythologies: The rise (and fall?) of Big Tech - Observer Research Foundation - October 19th, 2021
- Paul Hopkins: Big Tech, and advent of the whistleblower - Meath Chronicle - October 19th, 2021
- Adrian Shahbaz and Allie Funk: Governments are coming for Big Tech. Here's what it could mean for your rights online - TribLIVE - October 19th, 2021
- This fund wants to fight Big Tech. NGOs fear the worst. - POLITICO.eu - October 19th, 2021
- FTC Releases Findings on How Big Tech Eats Little Tech ... - October 15th, 2021
- Unchecked Big Tech Endangers U.S. National Security | Opinion - October 15th, 2021
- Invoking 'Big Tech' as an accusation can endanger American security | TheHill - The Hill - October 15th, 2021
- Big Tech censorship on climate change only hurts the nation - New York Post - October 15th, 2021
- This charity wants to cure or kill Big Tech - Wired.co.uk - October 15th, 2021
- Government and Big Tech must tackle online harassment against journalists - The Globe and Mail - October 15th, 2021
- The dangers of lawmakers contradiction and confusion on Big Tech - Yahoo News - October 15th, 2021
- Leaving Big Tech for a Startup? These 7 Staffers Have Done Just That. - Business Insider - October 15th, 2021
- As Big Tech Grows in the Pandemic, Seattle Grows With It - The New York Times - October 13th, 2021
- There Is No Bipartisan Consensus on Big Tech - WIRED - October 13th, 2021
- Europe's top 'tech cop' is ready to take on Big Tech with America - POLITICO - October 13th, 2021
- Biden's nominees show embrace of progressive views of Big Tech - Roll Call - October 13th, 2021
- Big Tech, Big Government, bigger concerns - The Boston Globe - October 13th, 2021
- Big tech sweeps up Hill staffers just when Congress needs them the most - POLITICO - October 13th, 2021
- How Big Tech Threatens the Culture of Our Communities - Governing - October 13th, 2021
- Big Tech to be forced to hand over data on political ads - POLITICO.eu - October 13th, 2021
- Big Tech bank invasion halted at the moat - BlueNotes - October 13th, 2021
- Spending is the superpower of big tech companies - Market Research Telecast - October 13th, 2021
- Who wants to live forever? Big Tech and the quest for eternal youth - New Statesman - October 13th, 2021
- Is big tech the new East India Company? - IT PRO - October 13th, 2021
- U.S. Justice Dept antitrust nominee says he is eager to tackle more than just Big Tech - Reuters - October 13th, 2021
- In Europe, big tech providers are at the mercy of data sovereignty - TechHQ - October 13th, 2021
- While the EU Parliament wants to Crush Silicon Valley's Big Tech, the legislation that could make it happen has hit a brick wall of Opposition -... - October 13th, 2021
- Democratic Staffers Are Fleeing The Hill To Work For Big Tech: REPORT - The Free Press - October 13th, 2021
- Why Big Tech is harder to rein in than tobacco - Axios - October 11th, 2021
- Banks can compete with big tech by exploiting the trust gap - The Next Web - October 11th, 2021
- Second Opinion: How governments are coming for Big Tech - Los Angeles Times - October 11th, 2021
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Tells Us About Big Tech - EFF - October 11th, 2021
- Lawmakers See Path to Rein In Tech, but It Isnt Smooth - The New York Times - October 11th, 2021
- Second Opinion: Governments are coming for big tech. Here's what it could mean for your rights online - Yahoo News - October 11th, 2021
- Best tool to rein in Big Tech is a cap on users - Reuters - October 11th, 2021
- Explained: Taxing Big Tech where it earns profits - The Indian Express - October 11th, 2021
- Facebook Left Out of Big Tech Rebound in 4th Week of Losses - Yahoo Finance - October 11th, 2021
- No need to break Big Tech and other commentary - New York Post - October 11th, 2021
- UK fraud on the rise: Big tech must step up to stem the flow - Digital Journal - October 11th, 2021
- Regulating Big Tech will take pluralism and institutions | View - Euronews - October 11th, 2021
- Smaller Tech Companies Pay H-1B Workers More Than Big Tech - Dice Insights - October 11th, 2021
- Meet the former Google employee, who is connecting the dots between Big Tech and Military - IOL - October 11th, 2021
- Tech | Category | Fox Business - September 16th, 2021
- The Myth of Big Tech Competence - The New York Times - September 16th, 2021
- Justice Thomas shows how we can end Big Tech censorship ... - September 16th, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Big tech regulations | Opinions | capjournal.com - The Capital Journal - September 16th, 2021
- London's Top Cop Says 'Big Tech,' Encryption Are Letting The Terrorists Win - Techdirt - September 16th, 2021
- Whats Wrong With Big Tech? Three Stanford Professors Think They Know. - The New York Times - September 16th, 2021
- How the 'Platform Delusion' of Big Tech Helps Explain Why Galleries Are Finally Turning Away From Art Fairs (and Other Insights) - artnet News - September 16th, 2021
- What went wrong with Big Tech - Business Standard - September 16th, 2021
- Big Tech made huge profits from war on terror, US activists say - DW (English) - September 16th, 2021
- Clash of the Titans: Government vs. Big Tech Over Your Data - The Mac Observer - September 16th, 2021
- Big Tech Is Doing the Right Thing on Cybersecurity - National Review - September 1st, 2021
- Big Tech Wants You to Live in a Virtual World. Prepare for Real Problems. - The Wall Street Journal - September 1st, 2021
- Amazon (Along with Practically Every Other Tech Giant) is Building Up its Live Audio Portfolio - Motley Fool - September 1st, 2021
- View: Big Tech's increasing influence in finance is an opportunity for banks, not a threat - Economic Times - September 1st, 2021
- Big Tech wants you to live in a virtual world. Prepare for real problems - Livemint - September 1st, 2021
- Breaking up big tech companies would give an advantage to China |Opinion - Deseret News - September 1st, 2021
- Heres how we can break up Big Tech | by Team Warren | Medium - August 28th, 2021
- Big Tech Now Threatens National Sovereignty | The American ... - August 28th, 2021
- What Congress Wants From Big Tech - The New York Times - August 28th, 2021
- Rubio Introduces Sec 230 Legislation to Crack Down on Big ... - August 28th, 2021
- Big Tech pledges billions to bolster US cybersecurity defenses - TechCrunch - August 28th, 2021
- Biden tells CEOs to 'raise the bar on cybersecurity'; Big Tech pledges billions - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2021
- China's Big Tech vows to give back as Xi touts 'common prosperity' - Nikkei Asia - August 28th, 2021
- FTC's Antitrust Complaint Against Facebook Highlights Another Missed Opportunity to Address Big Tech's Anticompetitive Activities Through Patent... - August 28th, 2021
- Is healthcare too hard for Big Tech firms? - Healthcare IT News - August 28th, 2021
- Big Tech is cutting innovation to buy politicians - Fudzilla - August 28th, 2021
- Big tech proud as punch about cameos in Joe Biden's security theatre - The Register - August 28th, 2021
- China's Tech Sector Is Too Big To FailThat's Why Beijing Is Cracking Down on It - Heritage.org - August 28th, 2021
- Transformation starts with fixing one big tech problem, former Oracle CFO says - CFO Dive - August 28th, 2021
- Ted Cruz Levies a Big Charge Against Big Tech RedState - August 22nd, 2021
- Issa Slams Bipartisan Big Tech Package for Ignoring ... - August 22nd, 2021
- What the Biden Administration Is Doing to Rein In Big Tech Companies - Barron's - August 22nd, 2021
- Big Tech Is Bending to the Indian Governments Will - WIRED - August 22nd, 2021