Eighth-ranked Scotlandville High School returned the games opening kickoff for a touchdown and relied on a pair of big plays on special teams and defense midway through the third quarter to pull away for 39-20 victory over East Ascension in the season opener for both teams Thursday night.
The Hornets (1-0) repelled a charge from the Spartans (0-1) with an interception return of 37 yards from Damien Knighten. Running back Marlon Gunn Jr. added an 89-yard scoring run with 1:12 remaining in a game played at Dutchtowns Griffin Field. It was his second rushing touchdown of the game after giving his team a 21-14 lead with a score with seven seconds left before halftime.
Knighten added a second interception at the 1-yard line late in the fourth quarter.
Scotlandville extended its 20-14 halftime lead to 27-14 after blocking a punt, turning that into a short 23-yard scoring drive that was capped by quarterback CZavian Teasetts 10-yard pass to John Hubbard in the back of the end zone at the 6:29 mark of the third quarter.
Scotlandville, which has won its past four meetings against EA, held a 361-252 advantage in total yards.
Teasett completed 19 of 29 passes for 182 yards with Knighten also sparkling on offense with seven catches for 58 yards. Hubbard led the Hornets with eight grabs for 61 yards and a TD.
Gunn paced his teams rushing attack with 16 carries for 157 and two scores.
EA quarterback Troy Dunn was 11 of 22 passing for 130 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions. Jacorey Mitchell led the way with four catches for 43 yards.
The two teams combined for three touchdowns in the last five minutes of the first half when Scotlandville marched 80 yards in 11 plays for a 21-14 halftime lead.
Teasett completed 6 of 7 passes for 64 yards on his teams final drive of the half which Gunn Jr. finished with a 1-yard run.
EA rallied from a 14-0 deficit with back-to-back scoring drives with 300-pound defensive tackle Aiden Joseph crashing in from 2 yards out and following a short 5-yard punt, the Spartans needed four plays to cover 21 yards with Dunn connecting with Mitchell who made a nice adjustment on an underthrow pass for a 13-yard TD with 2:30 showing before halftime.
Scotlandville took a 7-0 lead nine seconds into the game when Chance Williams brought back the opening kickoff 95 yards for a score. Williams made it 14-0 with 2:47 left in the second quarter on a 9-yard run but was ejected following a pair of personal fouls after the touchdown.
Read this article:
- Scientists: Life May Thrive on Ocean Worlds Far Larger Than Earth - Futurism - September 1st, 2021
- Japan declares state of emergency, Olympics still on but without fans in Tokyo - Yahoo Sports - July 14th, 2021
- US Congressman Calls for Law Allowing Government to Reverse Cryptocurrency Transactions Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 2nd, 2021
- A grave injustice in Elizabeth City | The Progressive Pulse - The Progressive Pulse - May 20th, 2021
- Covid-19 and Europe - The Statesman - April 19th, 2021
- Chillicothe business, school developed virtual reality classrooms in response to COVID-19 - Chillicothe Gazette - March 21st, 2021
- 'Not quite ready yet': Democrats wont take up Biden immigration plan this month - POLITICO - March 9th, 2021
- The best technology, driven by the best people. - Verizon Communications - March 7th, 2021
- World of Wong Kar-Wai at The Cinematheque - Scout Magazine - December 23rd, 2020
- Seeds from Taiwan plant species launched to space station - Taiwan News - December 8th, 2020
- Pathologic 2 Is a Fascinating Experiment in Method Role-Playing - The Escapist - November 10th, 2020
- Science-fiction master Ted Chiang explores the rights and wrongs of AI - GeekWire - November 10th, 2020
- Problem gambling and crime appear co-symptomatic, not causal - UB News Center - August 10th, 2020
- An In-Depth Guide to the Microphones - bandcamp.com - August 8th, 2020
- SpaceX: Crew Dragon is returning to Earth here's when to hold your - Astronomy Magazine - August 3rd, 2020
- Caribbean Observes 186th Anniversary of the Abolition of Slavery - caribbeannationalweekly.com - August 3rd, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Jeff Robinson, CEO of Wuhan, Provides Key Updates and Outlook in a New Audio Interview with SmallCapVoice.com -... - May 22nd, 2020
- Scientists concerned that coronavirus is adapting to humans - msnNOW - May 12th, 2020
- Gaming companies are looking like a coronavirus-proof investment. Here are the stocks to play, top fund managers say - MarketWatch - April 27th, 2020
- The Only Two Podcasts You Need To Get Through A Dull Day - Eagle Online - April 24th, 2020
- Grandparents rely on drive-bys, technology to stay in touch - Journal Review - April 23rd, 2020
- List of sports events affected by the coronavirus pandemic - Odessa American - April 16th, 2020
- Prime 10 Should-Watch Mafia Anime Of All Time & The place To Watch Them! - Global News Hut - April 15th, 2020
- Don't let free speech be a casualty of coronavirus. We need it more than ever - The Guardian - April 9th, 2020
- Your Island home - The West Australian - April 6th, 2020
- Turtle Bay,Liberty laying down kind of strange&being tossed around in the wind,2/16/14 - Video - February 17th, 2014
- Liberty Bell Bank Reports Third Quarter and Year to Date Earnings - November 16th, 2012
- 18th Int Congress of Genetics Statement on Eugenics - December 8th, 2011
- IQ Will put you in Your Place - December 8th, 2011
- Special Review - December 8th, 2011
- More on the Bell Curve - December 8th, 2011
- The Mismeasures of Gould - December 8th, 2011
- How Can We Encourage Bright Young Couples To Have More Children? - December 8th, 2011
- Why Race Matters: A Review and Extension - December 8th, 2011
- The Consequences of Variable Intelligence - December 8th, 2011
- The Human Situation and its Reparation - December 8th, 2011
- Professor Shockley's Experiment - December 8th, 2011
- A Review of "A New Morality from Science: Beyondism" - December 8th, 2011
- Race and Crime: A Reply to Cernovsky and Litman - December 8th, 2011
- How Relevant is the Nature/Nurture Controversy to the Need for Eugenics ? - December 8th, 2011
- Race, Evolution, and Behavior Summary - by Mark Snyderman - December 8th, 2011
- Race, Evolution, and Behavior Summary - by Glayde Whitney - December 8th, 2011
- Virtue in "Racism" ? - December 8th, 2011
- The Reality of Race A Summary of John R Bakers book Race - December 8th, 2011
- Does Race Matter Recent Developments - December 8th, 2011
- Race Differences in Intelligence a Global Perspective - December 8th, 2011
- On the biological meaning of race - December 8th, 2011
- Race, Genetics, and Human Reproductive Strategies - December 8th, 2011
- “Yes, There is Such a Thing as Race” By John Alexander - December 8th, 2011
- Questions and Answers on Eugenics - December 8th, 2011
- The Evolutionary Function of Prejudice - December 8th, 2011
- Caring for Posterity - December 8th, 2011
- The Limited Plasticity of Human Intelligence - December 8th, 2011
- Paternal Provisioning versus Mate Seeking in Human Populations - December 8th, 2011
- Conway Zirkle and the Persistence of Marxian Biology in the Western Social Sciences - December 8th, 2011
- Racial differences in Intelligence - What Mainstream Science says - December 8th, 2011
- Whither Judaism and the West - December 7th, 2011
- Indoctrination and Group Evolutionary Strategies The Case of Judaism - December 7th, 2011
- Studies of Jewish Genetics and the Racial Double Standard Is There a Hidden Agenda - December 7th, 2011
- Kings of Men a Special Issue of the journal INTELLIGENCE about Arthur Jensen - December 7th, 2011
- Neo Lynsekoism IQ and the Press - December 7th, 2011
- Invisible Men - December 7th, 2011
- The Evolution of Australian and Amerindian Intelligence - December 7th, 2011
- Intelligence and Social Policy A special issue of the Multidisciplinary journal INTELLIGENCE - December 7th, 2011
- Raymond B Cattell and the Fourth Inquisition - December 7th, 2011
- Thalamic Inhibition in the Evolution of Human Intelligence: Evolutionary Pressure for Cortical Inhibition - December 7th, 2011
- The Role of Inheritance in Behavior - December 7th, 2011
- A Substantial Inheritance - December 7th, 2011
- The Errors and Omissions of the Revised Edition of Goulds The Mismeasure of Man - December 7th, 2011
- Reflections on Stephen Jay Goulds The Mismeasure of Man - December 7th, 2011
- A Critique of Gould by Jensen - December 7th, 2011
- The G Factor - The Book and the Controversy - December 7th, 2011
- Geographical Centrality as an Explanation for Racial Differences in Intelligence - December 7th, 2011
- Evolution Altruism and Genetic Similarity Theory - December 7th, 2011
- Tracing the Genetic History of Modern Man - December 7th, 2011
- Foreword to David Dukes book - December 7th, 2011
- Whatever Happened to Eugenics - December 7th, 2011
- The New Enemies of Evolutionary Science - December 7th, 2011
- Dysgenics Genetic Deterioration in Modern Populations A Review - December 7th, 2011
- Unwanted Births and Dysgenic Reproduction in The United States - December 7th, 2011