'Ultimate knuckleheads': Gov. Murphy calls out anti-vaccine protesters
Gov. Phil Murphy showed rare public ire when anti-vaccination protesters started chanting during a bill signing ceremony.
Paul Wood Jr, NorthJersey.com
So now its a booze shortage?
Can this year get any worse?
Well, stay tuned. It just might.
This has been a hard year thats definitely an understatement. We still have three more months to go before the winter of our discontent. But lets take a look at the just-completed summer of trouble. What exactly did we learn? Better yet, what did we ignore at our own peril?
Before we explore all the darkness, let's take a moment and return to those hopeful, pre-spring days of February and March. People gleefully bared their biceps for a vaccine. Lines at the recreation center in my town stretched around the block on some afternoons. Strangers smiled at each other. Nurses told jokes as they stabbed you with a needle. President Joe Biden suggested that we should prepare to celebrate our newfound freedom on the Fourth of July.
Well, you know what happened.
Nearly one third of American adults refused the vaccine. Florida, led by its silly governor, became a hot zone. Texas also breathed in the idiot winds of warped libertarianism and led the charge into the mask wars. The so-called red states of "Trump Nation" proclaimed they would not join the rest of America in fighting a pandemic.
Welcome to the new Southern succession. The old, arrogant Confederacy is still alive. As we enter the third decade of the 21st century, we are a nation as divided as we were during the Civil War.
We need Abe Lincoln.
Sadly, we have Joe Biden.
Sorry, Democrats. I know youre shaking in your Birkenstocksand sweating through your tie-dyedDead Head T-shirts about the prospect of the Republican Visigoths sweeping into power in Congress and then electing someone like Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley as president in 2024, but Biden needs to find his rhetorical groove soon before he becomes another Jimmy Carter. Setting aside the results of the California recall vote, which left Democratic Gov. Gavin Newson in power,Democrats are all too adept at losing their way as they battle each other over competing agendas. They're proving it again sadly.
The nation faces dire problems, from the roller coaster investments of Wall Street to the deepening worries inside countless Main Street schools, restaurants and apartmentbuildings to name just a few places where people feel as if lifes foundations have become far too shaky.
Teachers increasingly talk of a lost generation of students who have fallen behind in math and reading. The nations hospitality industry of restaurants and hotels is now hooked on a weird version of inhospitable life support. And with one survey by the Magnify Money website showing 15.4%of apartment dwellers behind on their rent more than double the normal rate of delinquency America seems on the verge of a painful uptick of homelessness as winter approaches.
In just a few months, far too many hospital wards filled again with people gasping for breath and begging for the shot in the arm before they closed their eyes forever and headed for the cold darkness of a grave.
Meanwhile, we cant even drown our sorrows with a shot of whiskey or just a beer. Experts say there are not enough truckers to deliver liquid spirits to boost (or mask) the nations diminished spirit. Gov. Phil Murphys marketing campaign to promote vaccines with a shot and a beer for New Jersey residents might now be called a shot and maybe a beer one of these days.
Elsewhere, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, the Kentucky Republican, and alleged journalists such as Tucker Carlson of Fox News sneered and proclaimed to millions of sycophants in their echo chambers how much they wanted to save America from the overreach of government mandates that require masks and vaccines. Millions of Americans cling to the misinformation spewed by Paul and Carlson and plenty of others. And look where it has led us? By the end of 2021, more than 700,000 Americans will have died from complications from COVID-19 complications that can mostly be stopped by a vaccine.
But right-wingers dont deserve all the blame for Americas plague of disunity.
Consider what our liberal leaders have been up to. For example, how is it possible that alleged progressive, Rep. Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, a Democrat whose district includes some of the poorest corners of the Bronx and Queens, could show up at a glittering Manhattan gala, wearing a donated designer dress with a Tax the Rich message on her dress and posing for the cameras like some sort of foolish runway model?Where are America's women in complaining about this idiotic display?
Column continues below gallery.
Welcome to the new generation of limousine liberals. Welcome also to the new version of Tom Wolfe's "Bonfire of the Vanities." Democrats: Are you listening?
Such is the state America as we enter the last quarter of 2021.
The just-ended summer will surely go down as a time of wasted hopes and dashed dreams.Our nation produced enough vaccines to protect everyone from this dangerous pandemic.And yet, we let our political foolishness run wild.
Here in New Jersey, where vaccines are not only plentiful but nearly 6million people have received a shot, more than 2,000 new COVID cases were recorded on Thursday. For context, its worth remembering that in late June, when we still held out hope that America would defeat this pandemic, the number of new daily cases in New Jersey had dropped to around 290. Since then, the massive increasein new cases falls mostly among one category of people those who refuse to get vaccinated.
So much for coming together to defeat a common foe.
But our disunity is not confined to just COVID vaccines.
A recent study by the Preply online educational platform found that we cant even agree on what language America should speak.About 93% of Republicans favor English only. Only 68% of Democrats believe that.
Another study by Digital.com, a website that caters to small businesses, found that nearly half of all consumers are unlikely to buy products from companies that align themselves with political views they disagree with.
This is our nation as we approach the final months of 2021.
Disunity is the new pandemic. Only this time, there is no vaccine.
Mike Kelly is an award-winningcolumnist for NorthJersey.com. To get unlimited access to his insightful thoughts on how we live life in New Jersey,please subscribe or activate your digital account today.
- Joe Rogan's Insta Post on "The Age of Conflict" Garners Over 600K Likes - We Got This Covered - November 28th, 2021
- Dear panicking civil libertarians isn't a pandemic the reason you have urgency? - thedailyblog.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Justice system reform is a wedge partisan issue. It doesn't have to be. - Savannah Morning News - November 28th, 2021
- Poll: Dunleavy ranks high in popularity, compared to all other governors - Must Read Alaska - November 28th, 2021
- David Brooks: We live in the Age of the Creative Minority - Salt Lake Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- Letter: Libertarianism is inherently antithetical to racism | Letters to the Editor | unionleader.com - The Union Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- How do Michigan roads rank in US? Libertarian think tank crunches the numbers - The Detroit News - November 23rd, 2021
- Stern rips anti-vaxxers: 'I might have to run' just to clean up their mess - The Hill - November 23rd, 2021
- Corruption and Patronage Are the Norm in the Australian Labor Party - Jacobin magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Checking in on the candidates for Congress in 2022 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - November 23rd, 2021
- The false memory of an immaculate Ronald Reagan - The Week Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Auckland lockdown to end as New Zealand tries new virus tack - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 23rd, 2021
- Readers Respond to Tribes' Objections to Dutch Bros.' Horse Racing Gamble - Willamette Week - November 23rd, 2021
- Chris Jones explains his position on the issues on 40/29 News On The Record - 4029tv - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Sum of Us' by Heather McGhee - The Somerville Times - November 17th, 2021
- Opinion/Barham: Moderates have no one to vote for - The Providence Journal - November 17th, 2021
- Nobel Prize-winning writer may be prosecuted for crimes against the state | TheHill - The Hill - November 17th, 2021
- New Hampshire protesters taunt Biden with Lets go Brandon jeers - Boston Herald - November 17th, 2021
- Now we know what the COVID police will do - Smoky Mountain News - November 17th, 2021
- Michigan GOP Official Hosted Podcast With White Nationalist - The Daily Beast - November 17th, 2021
- If libertarians built the roads, maybe they wouldnt be racist - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- The White Mountain Boys - Washington Monthly - November 13th, 2021
- Why Gen Z is fed-up with our two-party systemand will force it to change - New York Post - November 13th, 2021
- She helped her husband start a far-right militia group. Now the Oath Keeper's wife says she has regrets - Los Angeles Times - November 13th, 2021
- The post-Reagan GOP is still a work in progress - The Week Magazine - November 13th, 2021
- Guest Opinion: Calling out the Idaho Freedom Foundation - Idaho County Free Press - November 13th, 2021
- Josh Hawley is dead right about men and marriage - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- Cindy Axne will run for reelection in Congress, closing the door on Iowa gubernatorial bid - Des Moines Register - November 13th, 2021
- Kmele Foster Is Right: Banning Critical Race Theory Isn't Going To Stop It - The Federalist - November 13th, 2021
- Save AmericaReject Libertarianism - The American Mind - November 9th, 2021
- Poul Anderson - Wikipedia - November 9th, 2021
- Whos Afraid of Higher Education? - New York Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Libertarian VP candidate visits The Firing Pin with message of limited government - The Batavian - November 9th, 2021
- The Rise of the Mises Caucus - Bacon's Rebellion - November 9th, 2021
- The Infrastructure Bill Makes Building Back More Expensive - Reason - November 9th, 2021
- Politics Is Rotting Brains and Making Everyone Mad - Reason - November 9th, 2021
- Experimenting with Higher Education - Daily Nous - November 9th, 2021
- Controversy arises: Will Savin or Elgin be appointed Westport's third selectman? - CTPost - November 9th, 2021
- Trustees need to shake off the recent Clark County public school nightmare - The Nevada Independent - November 9th, 2021
- The Trump vs. McConnell War Is Upon Us - The Bulwark - November 9th, 2021
- Get ready for election 2022: What you need to know before the primaries - WFMYNews2.com - November 9th, 2021
- Biosimilars Could Wind Up Saving $7.8 Billion in 2021, Says California Think Tank - Managed Healthcare Executive - November 9th, 2021
- The BS is Strong with Marco Rubio - Legal Reader - November 9th, 2021
- Revulsion at Venezuela is fuelling the hard right in Latin America - The Economist - November 9th, 2021
- Minarchism - RationalWiki - October 24th, 2021
- Crowded race for West Hartford council: 14 candidates from four parties plus an unaffiliated challenger - Yahoo News - October 24th, 2021
- David Seymour not keen on housing bill, promises he is still a libertarian - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2021
- The Biden White House Is Lying About the Democrats' Spending Bill - Reason - October 19th, 2021
- Roy Exum: Beware Of The Cobra - The Chattanoogan - October 19th, 2021
- 2021 Election In Manchester: How To Vote, Whos On The Ballot - Patch.com - October 19th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- ARPA funding slow to go out, and in Bladen County theres a reasonable explanation for that - Elizabethtown Bladen Journal - October 19th, 2021
- Opinion | How Tweeting Can Be Like Pro Wrestling, and Other Observations - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021
- Robert Nozick - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2021
- Election 21: When, Where & How To Vote In Wall Township - Patch.com - October 17th, 2021
- Martin wants to bring alternative voice to Lincoln County - lincolnnewsnow.com - October 17th, 2021
- Covid infection and death rates are worsening by the day but were still eerily calm - iNews - October 17th, 2021
- Sick, but Not in a Good Way - National Review - October 17th, 2021
- Javier Milei, a libertarian, may be elected to Argentina's congress - The Economist - October 13th, 2021
- Are you a Libertarian Paternalist with your clients? - Accounting Today - October 13th, 2021
- Y: The Last Man Recap: Moths in the Pentagon - Vulture - October 13th, 2021
- Is Joe Biden the duly elected President of the United States of America? - The Nevada Independent - October 13th, 2021
- Not Just the Mayor: NYCs Other City- and Borough-Wide Seats in Novembers Election - THE CITY - October 13th, 2021
- Comparing Rand Paul to the Squad is unfair. He doesn't hate Israel - Haaretz - October 13th, 2021
- The Undignified Demise of Centrism - The American Prospect - October 13th, 2021
- This black American flag has a disturbing message and has been popping up across the U.S. - Upworthy - October 13th, 2021
- Independent Lt. Governor candidates say both parties have failed to solve New Jersey's problems - New Jersey Globe | New Jersey Politics - October 13th, 2021
- Voter rolls looking bluer ahead of off-year election - FOX31 Denver - October 13th, 2021
- As Facebook Crumbles, the Case for Breaking It Up Is Weaker Than Ever - Reason - October 7th, 2021
- Voice of the People 09/30/21 | Letters To Editor | leadertelegram.com - Leader-Telegram - October 1st, 2021
- Two Authors View America From Above and Below, and Are Not Happy With What They See - The New York Times - October 1st, 2021
- Voter information guide for special election to fill Alcee Hastings' seat - WPTV.com - September 29th, 2021
- California recall flop a warning to Republicans - Washington Times - September 29th, 2021
- Australia's Right-Wing Libertarians Are Trying to Capitalize on Anti-Lockdown Sentiment - Jacobin magazine - September 24th, 2021
- The Black Box of Peter Thiels Beliefs - POLITICO - September 24th, 2021
- The Republican Party's surprising socialist connection - Gainesville Sun - September 24th, 2021
- Cato and the Court - National Review - September 24th, 2021
- Australian police exploit extreme right-wing, anti-vax rallies to deploy new repressive weaponry - WSWS - September 24th, 2021
- The English are rogues in a way we Irish only imagine ourselves to be - The Irish Times - September 20th, 2021
- Salter: The constitution and the concept of liberty - LubbockOnline.com - September 20th, 2021