This month, WW reported on the objections of Oregons nine Indigenous tribes to a proposal by Dutch Bros. Coffee founder Travis Boersma to install 225 betting terminals at a horse track in Grants Pass (Dutch Colonialism, Nov. 10, 2021). Oregon has historically protected the tribes exclusive claim to casinos. Gov. Kate Brown had stood by as the proposal for terminals at the Flying Lark moved forward. After WW raised questions, Brown gently urged the Oregon Racing Commission to delay approval of the machines. Heres what our readers had to say.
Allison B, via Twitter: A billionaire capitalizing on a loophole thatll harm Oregons Indigenous tribes absolutely needs to be challenged.
Jerry Channell, via Facebook: Class, Oregon style; make a little money, build a casino.
Frank Semonious, via wweek.com: Near every Dutch Bros. is a small mom and pop coffee stand that obviously needs our business more than Dutch Bros. does. (In St. Helens, Ore., its called Javalation and it is 100% better than any other place I have ever bought coffee.) They are so rich they need to build a tax shelter. Now I have two reasons to never buy their products.
mama k, via Twitter: Why does this feel like an episode of Yellowstone? Travis is the bad guy.
Kurt Chapman, via wweek.com: That some off-track betting on horse races in other locations would harm tribal take up at Seven Feathers, the nearest casino, is laughable. Canyonville is about an hour away through some pretty windy mountain pass miles. Certainly not an Uber ride away like the Ilani is to Portlandia.
Also it now appears Boersma, once the darling of progressives for his Horatio Alger rise to success, must now become reviled because he is a billionaire due to Dutch Bros. going public.
Blunt from the Bloc, via Twitter: Every day is a dystopian nightmare for Indigenous folks. Itd be cool if it wasnt like that.
Leon Trotsky, via wweek.com: Only the libertarian WW, where there are no sex or drug crimes, would think enabling exclusive gambling rights to the Tribes is a way to solve their economic woes. Its like, lets infect them with another white mans curse.
Anne J. Applegate, via wweek.com: Surely there are other ways to create income other than continuing a tradition of profiting off of the weaknesses and mental health disorders of othersregardless of race. Continuing to build more of these gambling establishments, regardless of their affiliation to native tribes or not, is irresponsible, callous, and negligent when it comes to the well-being of our future generations and all Oregonians who are currently affected.
LETTERS to the editor must include the authors street address and phone number for verification. Letters must be 250 or fewer words. Submit to: PO Box 10770, Portland, OR 97296. Email: email@example.com.
- Mises Institute - Wikipedia - January 19th, 2022
- Given that no one's perfect or always right, let's declare truce in COVID wars | Opinion - TCPalm - January 19th, 2022
- Local Texas leaders say too much power is centered in Austin - and they want control back - WFAA.com - January 19th, 2022
- Happy Dog owner will lead a hospitality recovery group - Crain's Cleveland Business - January 19th, 2022
- City Council And Statewide Primaries Likely To Be Delayed Again - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - January 19th, 2022
- Boris Johnson Says England Will Ease Covid Rules - The New York Times - January 19th, 2022
- Politics & Other Mistakes: Liberating the Libertarians Daily Bulldog - Daily Bulldog - January 17th, 2022
- What is the impact of those refusing to get vaccinated? - The Week UK - January 17th, 2022
- Editorial: Photo ID to vote? Well, ok, but - Kingsport Times News - January 17th, 2022
- Unshackling the Indian economy will be a tall order - Mint - January 17th, 2022
- We Kiwis are a content lot, but trouble looms over the horizon - Stuff.co.nz - January 17th, 2022
- The dangerous incentive in a new domestic terror unit - The Week Magazine - January 17th, 2022
- Milei raffles off monthly pay and the cash is won by a Kirchnerite - Buenos Aires Times - January 17th, 2022
- Election season 2022, a look at the ballot | Local News | waxahachiesun.com - Waxahachie Sun - January 17th, 2022
- Sununu Goes To Washington To Talk To Cato Institute About New Hampshire - Patch.com - January 17th, 2022
- Novak Djokovic's dad called him 'Spartacus' and a 'leader of the libertarian world' in a bizarre rant about hi - Business Insider India - January 7th, 2022
- Aaron Rodgers Loves Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and We're Not Shocked - Esquire - January 7th, 2022
- Right-wing Catholic causes got millions from group that funded some Capitol rioters - National Catholic Reporter - January 7th, 2022
- See where your state ranks on telemedicine - Healthcare IT News - January 7th, 2022
- The New Right's Grim, Increasingly Popular Fantasies of an International Nationalism - The New Republic - January 7th, 2022
- Can someone hold office with felony convictions? | Local | tiogapublishing.com - The Wellsboro Gazette - January 7th, 2022
- Letters to the Editor | Opinion | benningtonbanner.com - Bennington Banner - January 7th, 2022
- Progressivism And Bitcoin Are Not Opposed - Bitcoin Magazine - January 7th, 2022
- Could Trump lose the 2024 GOP nomination? - The Week Magazine - January 5th, 2022
- Column: At this high school debate, the differences that matter are points of view - The Herald-Times - January 5th, 2022
- Boris Johnson and the woeful and costly Tory war on woke - The Japan Times - January 5th, 2022
- Daphne Bramham: A fight within the conservative family over which rights trump others - Vancouver Sun - January 5th, 2022
- Free Will: Determinism, Compatibilism & Libertarianism ... - December 27th, 2021
- Column: Latinos going GOP in 2024 isn't that farfetched - Los Angeles Times - December 27th, 2021
- Candace Owens Tells Fans to Take Quack Cure That Turns Skin Blue - The Daily Beast - December 27th, 2021
- Memorable images of 2021 capture a reality of our lives - The National - December 27th, 2021
- Which philosophy helps us confront the crises that beset us... we first or me first? - The Guardian - December 27th, 2021
- The only way to deal effectively with a pandemic is socialistic - Modern Diplomacy - December 15th, 2021
- The rise of the new radical right in Chile | International - Market Research Telecast - December 15th, 2021
- Blame the Scots-Irish influence | Opinion | journalpatriot.com - Wilkes Journal Patriot - December 15th, 2021
- The Mississippi abortion case and the American way of life - Washington Times - December 15th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency and the Shocking Revelation That White Supremacists Like Money - tntribune.com - December 13th, 2021
- A coalition without a core | WORLD - WORLD News Group - December 13th, 2021
- Is 2021 the year of the Nevada Independents? - The Nevada Independent - December 13th, 2021
- One on One with D.G. Martin: Blame the Scots-Irish - warrenrecord.com - December 13th, 2021
- Op-Ed: The New Hampshire We Love - InDepthNH.orgInDepthNH.org - InDepthNH.org - December 13th, 2021
- Libertarian Democrat - Wikipedia - December 10th, 2021
- Night-watchman state - Wikipedia - December 10th, 2021
- Oil-Backed Group Opposes Offshore Wind for Environmental Reasons - The Intercept - December 10th, 2021
- SPLC report examines use of Bitcoin and Monero by right wing extremists - FXStreet - December 10th, 2021
- The Illiberal Upstarts Trying to Reinvent Conservatism - The New Republic - December 10th, 2021
- Joe Rogan's Insta Post on "The Age of Conflict" Garners Over 600K Likes - We Got This Covered - November 28th, 2021
- Dear panicking civil libertarians isn't a pandemic the reason you have urgency? - thedailyblog.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Justice system reform is a wedge partisan issue. It doesn't have to be. - Savannah Morning News - November 28th, 2021
- Poll: Dunleavy ranks high in popularity, compared to all other governors - Must Read Alaska - November 28th, 2021
- David Brooks: We live in the Age of the Creative Minority - Salt Lake Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- Letter: Libertarianism is inherently antithetical to racism | Letters to the Editor | unionleader.com - The Union Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- How do Michigan roads rank in US? Libertarian think tank crunches the numbers - The Detroit News - November 23rd, 2021
- Stern rips anti-vaxxers: 'I might have to run' just to clean up their mess - The Hill - November 23rd, 2021
- Corruption and Patronage Are the Norm in the Australian Labor Party - Jacobin magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Checking in on the candidates for Congress in 2022 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - November 23rd, 2021
- The false memory of an immaculate Ronald Reagan - The Week Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Auckland lockdown to end as New Zealand tries new virus tack - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 23rd, 2021
- Chris Jones explains his position on the issues on 40/29 News On The Record - 4029tv - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Sum of Us' by Heather McGhee - The Somerville Times - November 17th, 2021
- Opinion/Barham: Moderates have no one to vote for - The Providence Journal - November 17th, 2021
- Nobel Prize-winning writer may be prosecuted for crimes against the state | TheHill - The Hill - November 17th, 2021
- New Hampshire protesters taunt Biden with Lets go Brandon jeers - Boston Herald - November 17th, 2021
- Now we know what the COVID police will do - Smoky Mountain News - November 17th, 2021
- Michigan GOP Official Hosted Podcast With White Nationalist - The Daily Beast - November 17th, 2021
- If libertarians built the roads, maybe they wouldnt be racist - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- The White Mountain Boys - Washington Monthly - November 13th, 2021
- Why Gen Z is fed-up with our two-party systemand will force it to change - New York Post - November 13th, 2021
- She helped her husband start a far-right militia group. Now the Oath Keeper's wife says she has regrets - Los Angeles Times - November 13th, 2021
- The post-Reagan GOP is still a work in progress - The Week Magazine - November 13th, 2021
- Guest Opinion: Calling out the Idaho Freedom Foundation - Idaho County Free Press - November 13th, 2021
- Josh Hawley is dead right about men and marriage - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- Cindy Axne will run for reelection in Congress, closing the door on Iowa gubernatorial bid - Des Moines Register - November 13th, 2021
- Kmele Foster Is Right: Banning Critical Race Theory Isn't Going To Stop It - The Federalist - November 13th, 2021
- Save AmericaReject Libertarianism - The American Mind - November 9th, 2021
- Poul Anderson - Wikipedia - November 9th, 2021
- Whos Afraid of Higher Education? - New York Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Libertarian VP candidate visits The Firing Pin with message of limited government - The Batavian - November 9th, 2021
- The Rise of the Mises Caucus - Bacon's Rebellion - November 9th, 2021
- The Infrastructure Bill Makes Building Back More Expensive - Reason - November 9th, 2021