The payment processing giant Paypal has revealed it has partnered with the nonprofit organization the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). According to the announcement, Paypal is researching transactions settled on the payment network that allegedly fund hate groups and extremism.
A report from Reuters notes that Paypal is studying transactions that involve extremists and that fund hate movements. The company will investigate and disrupt the financial flows that support specific hate groups and alleged anti-government organizations. The announcement notes that the initiative will be completed via ADLs Center on Extremism.
According to Paypals chief risk officer and executive vice president of risk and platforms, Aaron Karczmer said the company has been working on sophisticated systems that help curb illegal activities.
Karczmer hopes this previous knowledge and the current systems can help create a positive social impact. The centralized payment processor has been known to censor transactions for quite some time. In 2010, Paypal froze the account tethered to the whistleblowing web portal Wikileaks and caused an uproar.
The combination of Mastercard, Visa, Paypal and others using a financial blockade against Wikileaks was controversial and the actions drove the website to accept bitcoin donations. In 2016, male escorts in the UK leveraged bitcoin to bypass Paypal censorship. In 2019, Paypal stopped servicing Pornhub models and by January 2020, Paypal suspended all Pornhub accounts. In September 2020, Paypals sophisticated infrastructure censored merchants selling tardigrade merchandise.
The ADLs definitions of extremism and hate are also quite debatable. For instance, five years ago the ADL classified the famous Internet frog meme Rare Pepe as a hate symbol. This caused the meme to get blockchained and turned into an immutable collection of non-fungible tokens.
Moreover, the ADLs definitions of anti-government organizations being dubbed extremists are also considered extreme by those who believe in libertarianism and think that governments are currently corrupt. The latest move by Paypal and ADL has already been criticized by activists, libertarians, and even bitcoiners.
Bitcoin derives its value from censorship resistance, a Redditor on the subreddit r/bitcoin said on July 26. Paypal, your days of forced-relevance are over, the individual added.
The former American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) director, Ira Glasser, explains how banning hate speech is a never-ending slippery slope. When people say they want to ban hate speech, what they mean is they want to ban speech that they hate, Glasser stressed in an interview. But if you allowed something called hate speech to be banned, then the only important question would be who decides?
The report concerning the ADL and Paypal partnership explains that the payment processor has already been taking action against extremism over the last several years. The announcement also notes that Paypal and the ADL will be working with select civil rights organizations. Jonathan Greenblatt, ADLs CEO, sees the partnership as a window of opportunity.
We have a unique opportunity to further understand how hate spreads and develop key insights that will inform the efforts of the financial industry, law enforcement, and our communities in mitigating extremist threats, Greenblatt said in a statement.
What do you think about Paypal joining up with the Anti-Defamation League in order to research transactions that fund extremism? Do you think theres a slippery slope when it comes to classifying extremists? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
- David Seymour not keen on housing bill, promises he is still a libertarian - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2021
- The Biden White House Is Lying About the Democrats' Spending Bill - Reason - October 19th, 2021
- Roy Exum: Beware Of The Cobra - The Chattanoogan - October 19th, 2021
- 2021 Election In Manchester: How To Vote, Whos On The Ballot - Patch.com - October 19th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- ARPA funding slow to go out, and in Bladen County theres a reasonable explanation for that - Elizabethtown Bladen Journal - October 19th, 2021
- Opinion | How Tweeting Can Be Like Pro Wrestling, and Other Observations - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021
- Robert Nozick - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2021
- Election 21: When, Where & How To Vote In Wall Township - Patch.com - October 17th, 2021
- Martin wants to bring alternative voice to Lincoln County - lincolnnewsnow.com - October 17th, 2021
- Covid infection and death rates are worsening by the day but were still eerily calm - iNews - October 17th, 2021
- Sick, but Not in a Good Way - National Review - October 17th, 2021
- Javier Milei, a libertarian, may be elected to Argentina's congress - The Economist - October 13th, 2021
- Are you a Libertarian Paternalist with your clients? - Accounting Today - October 13th, 2021
- Y: The Last Man Recap: Moths in the Pentagon - Vulture - October 13th, 2021
- Is Joe Biden the duly elected President of the United States of America? - The Nevada Independent - October 13th, 2021
- Not Just the Mayor: NYCs Other City- and Borough-Wide Seats in Novembers Election - THE CITY - October 13th, 2021
- Comparing Rand Paul to the Squad is unfair. He doesn't hate Israel - Haaretz - October 13th, 2021
- The Undignified Demise of Centrism - The American Prospect - October 13th, 2021
- This black American flag has a disturbing message and has been popping up across the U.S. - Upworthy - October 13th, 2021
- Independent Lt. Governor candidates say both parties have failed to solve New Jersey's problems - New Jersey Globe | New Jersey Politics - October 13th, 2021
- Voter rolls looking bluer ahead of off-year election - FOX31 Denver - October 13th, 2021
- As Facebook Crumbles, the Case for Breaking It Up Is Weaker Than Ever - Reason - October 7th, 2021
- Voice of the People 09/30/21 | Letters To Editor | leadertelegram.com - Leader-Telegram - October 1st, 2021
- Two Authors View America From Above and Below, and Are Not Happy With What They See - The New York Times - October 1st, 2021
- Voter information guide for special election to fill Alcee Hastings' seat - WPTV.com - September 29th, 2021
- California recall flop a warning to Republicans - Washington Times - September 29th, 2021
- With 3 months to go, 2021 is already a dismal year. Welcome to the pandemic of disunity | Mike Kelly - NorthJersey.com - September 29th, 2021
- Australia's Right-Wing Libertarians Are Trying to Capitalize on Anti-Lockdown Sentiment - Jacobin magazine - September 24th, 2021
- The Black Box of Peter Thiels Beliefs - POLITICO - September 24th, 2021
- The Republican Party's surprising socialist connection - Gainesville Sun - September 24th, 2021
- Cato and the Court - National Review - September 24th, 2021
- Australian police exploit extreme right-wing, anti-vax rallies to deploy new repressive weaponry - WSWS - September 24th, 2021
- The English are rogues in a way we Irish only imagine ourselves to be - The Irish Times - September 20th, 2021
- Salter: The constitution and the concept of liberty - LubbockOnline.com - September 20th, 2021
- Navalny allies accuse Telegram and other platforms of censorship - Al Jazeera English - September 20th, 2021
- At the Supreme Court, a Plea to Reveal Secret Surveillance Rulings - The New York Times - September 20th, 2021
- Navalny allies accuse Telegram of censorship in Russian election - Yahoo Finance - September 20th, 2021
- NY redistricting commissions obscenely partisan maps defy will of voters (Guest Opinion by Mark Braiman) - syracuse.com - September 20th, 2021
- What the Proposed Tax Deal Means for Your Business - Inc. - September 20th, 2021
- WWE Mayor Kane Defies Authority, Will Not Comply with Vaccine Mandate - Bleeding Cool News - September 20th, 2021
- Larry Elder Speaks to Newsweek on Why He Lost to Gavin Newsom and What He May Do Next - Newsweek - September 17th, 2021
- Trio of election experts offers Arizona Senate another chance to check Cyber Ninjas audit work - The Arizona Republic - September 17th, 2021
- The Contrarian Goes Searching for Peter Thiels Elusive Core - The New York Times - September 16th, 2021
- The tragically misguided zeal of US anti-vaccination libertarians - Mint - September 16th, 2021
- Libertarian Tories will rue waving through social care tax trick - Telegraph.co.uk - September 16th, 2021
- Who's running in the federal election in central and northern Alberta's 19 ridings - CBC.ca - September 16th, 2021
- Three election candidates take part in election forum in Central Alberta - Red Deer Advocate - September 16th, 2021
- Learning to be a real conservative | Hillsboro Star-Journal | Sept. 16, 2021 - Hillsboro Star-Journal - September 16th, 2021
- The government has no business mandating vaccines - The Nevada Independent - September 16th, 2021
- Commentary: Texas upends the Republican 'leave us alone coalition' - The Sun Chronicle - September 16th, 2021
- Conservatives and Kristi Noem Used to Think Government Should Require Vaccines - Dakota Free Press - September 16th, 2021
- Social Security is running out of money. Heres how to fix it. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - September 8th, 2021
- Trapped in the self Catholic Philly - CatholicPhilly.com - September 4th, 2021
- Federal Judge Hands a Big Victory to Prospective Third-Party, Independent Candidates in Georgia Peach Pundit - Peach Pundit - September 4th, 2021
- The paradox at the heart of the vaccine mandate debate | TheHill - The Hill - September 4th, 2021
- Nearly 15,000 Nevadans register to vote in August - FOX5 Las Vegas - September 2nd, 2021
- JD Vance Surrenders to the Politics of Hate - Reason - September 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about Wario - Polygon - September 2nd, 2021
- Voter ID: Why Doesn't America Have a National ID Card? - The Atlantic - September 2nd, 2021
- My recent votes on the PFD - Anchorage Daily News - September 2nd, 2021
- Recall Front-Runner Larry Elder Says Hes a Libertarian and I Dont Have Horns - Times of San Diego - September 1st, 2021
- Libertarians Correctly Predicted the Afghanistan Fiasco Reason.com - Reason - September 1st, 2021
- Salter: Liberty forgotten and the Article of Confederation - LubbockOnline.com - September 1st, 2021
- 'Liberty Republicans' and an evolving GOP - Concord Monitor - September 1st, 2021
- Libertarian view: Beliefs and expectations, reasonable and unreasonable - The Spectrum - September 1st, 2021
- Meet the 4 Inland Empire candidates on the Gavin Newsom recall ballot - San Bernardino County Sun - September 1st, 2021
- 'Frustrating is not even an adequate word': Health care worker's unvaccinated mom in ICU with COVID-19 - KGW.com - September 1st, 2021
- Letters to the editor for Tuesday, August 31, 2021 - News-Press - September 1st, 2021
- Why You Should Be Optimistic About The Future Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - September 1st, 2021
- Sean Penn Likens Unvaccinated People To Someone Pointing A Gun In Your Face And Citing Second Amendment Rights - Yahoo Entertainment - August 22nd, 2021
- Opinion | Libertarians and the Vaccine: Give Me Liberty and Give Them Death - Common Dreams - August 11th, 2021
- Letter: A Wrong Approach | Opinion | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - August 11th, 2021
- Larry Elders outspoken conservative radio rhetoric under scrutiny in California recall election - The Detroit News - August 11th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Regulations On The Horizon; Expect 2 Sets Of Protocols - Investing.com India - August 11th, 2021
- Rand Paul suspended one week by YouTube over COVID-19 mask claims | TheHill - The Hill - August 11th, 2021
- Mellman: Your rights and my nose | TheHill - The Hill - August 11th, 2021
- How inefficient is the federal government? Check out the eviction moratorium saga - Savannah Morning News - August 11th, 2021
- Many conservatives have a difficult relationship with science we wanted to find out why - The Conversation UK - August 11th, 2021
- Kathi Wright to run for reelection to Ward II seat on Loveland City Council - Loveland Reporter-Herald - August 11th, 2021