Letter writers| Fort Myers News-Press
I applaud Dr. Antonuccis plea urging everyone to get vaccinated.For the record, I am against vaccine mandates except in certain special situations and I fervently believe that Lee Health presents one of these special situations.Lee Health should and must mandate vaccinations for its staff.I have heard the argument that many on the staff would quit rather than be vaccinated.Frankly, maybe this is something that needs to happen.
How can they advocate for action they themselves dont follow?Is it that everyone should be vaccinated except the Lee Health staff who come into contact day in, day out with COVID-19 patients?It makes no sense.The staff go home and no matter how they sanitize and take precautions, they put their families, neighbors and the community at risk each time they go out in public because the virus is so highly transmissible.
These individuals are doing heroic work and their dedication is commendable. But isnt it time for them to do what they ask of everyone else?
Charlotte Newton, Fort Myers
According to Rep.Byron Donalds, If I hadnt had COVID-19, I would have gotten vaccinated…. If somebody doesnt want to be vaccinated, to be blunt and with all due respect, thats no business of yours.
With all due respect Mr. Donalds, it is our business. Florida is a COVIDhotbed with a record 242 dying each day, because only 52 percentare fully vaccinated, and our governor has banned mask mandates. The vaccinated are generally protected from serious illness, but children under 12are totally vulnerable, as are many adults with health issues.
In addition, the unvaccinated thwart herd immunity and enable the virus to mutate into more serious variants. People like you, Mr. Donalds, who have recovered from COVID,arent immune and still need a vaccination to stop further spread.
It is disturbing that our self-professed libertarian-leaning congressman believes America is predicated not on our unalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but on his license to kill. Mr. Donalds, forgive my bluntness, but your philosophy is not libertarian, its libertine.
Connie B Holzinger,Fort Myers
In the last twoyears of the Trump administration, the Democrats controlled the House. During that time, the House had 14 different Democrat-controlled committees launch 50 investigations into the Trump administration.
Some of the matters investigated were: obstruction, inflated assets, his family security clearances, slow aid to Puerto Rico, conflict of interest, national emergency declaration, emoluments, abuse of power, citizenship question on census, gag orders on staff, short term insurance plans, border security policies, move of FBI headquarters to suburb, border wall funds and, of course, Russia. Can anyone tell me how any of these investigations turned out?
Now we obviously have a crisis in Afghanistan and at our southern border along with many other issues (inflation, gas prices, deals with the Taliban, Hunter, origins of the virus, the virus itself, crime). Can you show me what committees of the House are investigating the Biden administration on anything? Does that indicate what the real motive of the Democrats has always been?
Ron Wobbeking, Naples
In the pantheon of American heroes, Washington, Lincoln and Eisenhower made contributions to our country that are enduring.
However, each man's historical record is not perfect. Washington lost more battles than he won; Lincoln's Civil War resulted in catastrophic loss of life; and Eisenhower's Normandy Invasion endured days of horrendous losses before success was achieved due to the incredible sacrifice and bravery of Allied troops.
As we watch the events in Afghanistan unfold in real time, one wonders if our impressions of yesterday's leaders would have changed if cable news, and live streaming coverage, had been at the battlefields of prior wars.
War was hell then, and war is hell now. One difference today being that we are subjected to instantaneous exposure, assessment and condemnation of leadership. That is not to say that President Biden is a Washington, a Lincolnor an Eisenhower. But it is to suggest that he is being attacked with instantaneous ridicule and daily denigration. Some criticisms are justified, but many are as valid as the integrity of the political pundits who deliver them to their voracious viewers. The long-term wisdom of history will determine Biden's legacy, not the transient trollers on the TVtube.
Manny Cacciola, Fort Myers
Read this article:
Letters to the editor for Tuesday, August 31, 2021 - News-Press
- Joe Rogan's Insta Post on "The Age of Conflict" Garners Over 600K Likes - We Got This Covered - November 28th, 2021
- Dear panicking civil libertarians isn't a pandemic the reason you have urgency? - thedailyblog.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Justice system reform is a wedge partisan issue. It doesn't have to be. - Savannah Morning News - November 28th, 2021
- Poll: Dunleavy ranks high in popularity, compared to all other governors - Must Read Alaska - November 28th, 2021
- David Brooks: We live in the Age of the Creative Minority - Salt Lake Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- Letter: Libertarianism is inherently antithetical to racism | Letters to the Editor | unionleader.com - The Union Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- How do Michigan roads rank in US? Libertarian think tank crunches the numbers - The Detroit News - November 23rd, 2021
- Stern rips anti-vaxxers: 'I might have to run' just to clean up their mess - The Hill - November 23rd, 2021
- Corruption and Patronage Are the Norm in the Australian Labor Party - Jacobin magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Checking in on the candidates for Congress in 2022 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - November 23rd, 2021
- The false memory of an immaculate Ronald Reagan - The Week Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Auckland lockdown to end as New Zealand tries new virus tack - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 23rd, 2021
- Readers Respond to Tribes' Objections to Dutch Bros.' Horse Racing Gamble - Willamette Week - November 23rd, 2021
- Chris Jones explains his position on the issues on 40/29 News On The Record - 4029tv - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Sum of Us' by Heather McGhee - The Somerville Times - November 17th, 2021
- Opinion/Barham: Moderates have no one to vote for - The Providence Journal - November 17th, 2021
- Nobel Prize-winning writer may be prosecuted for crimes against the state | TheHill - The Hill - November 17th, 2021
- New Hampshire protesters taunt Biden with Lets go Brandon jeers - Boston Herald - November 17th, 2021
- Now we know what the COVID police will do - Smoky Mountain News - November 17th, 2021
- Michigan GOP Official Hosted Podcast With White Nationalist - The Daily Beast - November 17th, 2021
- If libertarians built the roads, maybe they wouldnt be racist - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- The White Mountain Boys - Washington Monthly - November 13th, 2021
- Why Gen Z is fed-up with our two-party systemand will force it to change - New York Post - November 13th, 2021
- She helped her husband start a far-right militia group. Now the Oath Keeper's wife says she has regrets - Los Angeles Times - November 13th, 2021
- The post-Reagan GOP is still a work in progress - The Week Magazine - November 13th, 2021
- Guest Opinion: Calling out the Idaho Freedom Foundation - Idaho County Free Press - November 13th, 2021
- Josh Hawley is dead right about men and marriage - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- Cindy Axne will run for reelection in Congress, closing the door on Iowa gubernatorial bid - Des Moines Register - November 13th, 2021
- Kmele Foster Is Right: Banning Critical Race Theory Isn't Going To Stop It - The Federalist - November 13th, 2021
- Save AmericaReject Libertarianism - The American Mind - November 9th, 2021
- Poul Anderson - Wikipedia - November 9th, 2021
- Whos Afraid of Higher Education? - New York Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Libertarian VP candidate visits The Firing Pin with message of limited government - The Batavian - November 9th, 2021
- The Rise of the Mises Caucus - Bacon's Rebellion - November 9th, 2021
- The Infrastructure Bill Makes Building Back More Expensive - Reason - November 9th, 2021
- Politics Is Rotting Brains and Making Everyone Mad - Reason - November 9th, 2021
- Experimenting with Higher Education - Daily Nous - November 9th, 2021
- Controversy arises: Will Savin or Elgin be appointed Westport's third selectman? - CTPost - November 9th, 2021
- Trustees need to shake off the recent Clark County public school nightmare - The Nevada Independent - November 9th, 2021
- The Trump vs. McConnell War Is Upon Us - The Bulwark - November 9th, 2021
- Get ready for election 2022: What you need to know before the primaries - WFMYNews2.com - November 9th, 2021
- Biosimilars Could Wind Up Saving $7.8 Billion in 2021, Says California Think Tank - Managed Healthcare Executive - November 9th, 2021
- The BS is Strong with Marco Rubio - Legal Reader - November 9th, 2021
- Revulsion at Venezuela is fuelling the hard right in Latin America - The Economist - November 9th, 2021
- Minarchism - RationalWiki - October 24th, 2021
- Crowded race for West Hartford council: 14 candidates from four parties plus an unaffiliated challenger - Yahoo News - October 24th, 2021
- David Seymour not keen on housing bill, promises he is still a libertarian - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2021
- The Biden White House Is Lying About the Democrats' Spending Bill - Reason - October 19th, 2021
- Roy Exum: Beware Of The Cobra - The Chattanoogan - October 19th, 2021
- 2021 Election In Manchester: How To Vote, Whos On The Ballot - Patch.com - October 19th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- ARPA funding slow to go out, and in Bladen County theres a reasonable explanation for that - Elizabethtown Bladen Journal - October 19th, 2021
- Opinion | How Tweeting Can Be Like Pro Wrestling, and Other Observations - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021
- Robert Nozick - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2021
- Election 21: When, Where & How To Vote In Wall Township - Patch.com - October 17th, 2021
- Martin wants to bring alternative voice to Lincoln County - lincolnnewsnow.com - October 17th, 2021
- Covid infection and death rates are worsening by the day but were still eerily calm - iNews - October 17th, 2021
- Sick, but Not in a Good Way - National Review - October 17th, 2021
- Javier Milei, a libertarian, may be elected to Argentina's congress - The Economist - October 13th, 2021
- Are you a Libertarian Paternalist with your clients? - Accounting Today - October 13th, 2021
- Y: The Last Man Recap: Moths in the Pentagon - Vulture - October 13th, 2021
- Is Joe Biden the duly elected President of the United States of America? - The Nevada Independent - October 13th, 2021
- Not Just the Mayor: NYCs Other City- and Borough-Wide Seats in Novembers Election - THE CITY - October 13th, 2021
- Comparing Rand Paul to the Squad is unfair. He doesn't hate Israel - Haaretz - October 13th, 2021
- The Undignified Demise of Centrism - The American Prospect - October 13th, 2021
- This black American flag has a disturbing message and has been popping up across the U.S. - Upworthy - October 13th, 2021
- Independent Lt. Governor candidates say both parties have failed to solve New Jersey's problems - New Jersey Globe | New Jersey Politics - October 13th, 2021
- Voter rolls looking bluer ahead of off-year election - FOX31 Denver - October 13th, 2021
- As Facebook Crumbles, the Case for Breaking It Up Is Weaker Than Ever - Reason - October 7th, 2021
- Voice of the People 09/30/21 | Letters To Editor | leadertelegram.com - Leader-Telegram - October 1st, 2021
- Two Authors View America From Above and Below, and Are Not Happy With What They See - The New York Times - October 1st, 2021
- Voter information guide for special election to fill Alcee Hastings' seat - WPTV.com - September 29th, 2021
- California recall flop a warning to Republicans - Washington Times - September 29th, 2021
- With 3 months to go, 2021 is already a dismal year. Welcome to the pandemic of disunity | Mike Kelly - NorthJersey.com - September 29th, 2021
- Australia's Right-Wing Libertarians Are Trying to Capitalize on Anti-Lockdown Sentiment - Jacobin magazine - September 24th, 2021
- The Black Box of Peter Thiels Beliefs - POLITICO - September 24th, 2021
- The Republican Party's surprising socialist connection - Gainesville Sun - September 24th, 2021
- Cato and the Court - National Review - September 24th, 2021
- Australian police exploit extreme right-wing, anti-vax rallies to deploy new repressive weaponry - WSWS - September 24th, 2021
- The English are rogues in a way we Irish only imagine ourselves to be - The Irish Times - September 20th, 2021