Matt Gervais, a physical therapist, encouraged his mom to get the vaccine. But he said her social circle felt differently and persuaded her not to get vaccinated.
MEDFORD, Ore. For many families, the threat of COVID-19 hits close to home as their loved ones fight for their lives in the hospital.
Matt Gervais is praying his mom will pull through. He lives in Los Angeles, practicing as a physical therapist, but for the last week hes been in Southern Oregon. His mom, 70-year-old Karin Gervais, is on a ventilator in the ICU with COVID-19. She's been sedated and almost unresponsive for nearly a week now.
The prognosis is pretty poor, said Gervais. She probably has around a 30% chance of surviving this.
As someone who works in healthcare, Gervais knew about the seriousness of COVID early on. He warned his mom throughout the pandemic and when the vaccine became available, he encouraged her to get it.
I said, you gotta get the vaccine. This is vital," said Gervais.
But he said his mom, who is generally a rational person, had surrounded herself with people who felt differently. He believes they persuaded her not to get vaccinated.
She ended up lying to me about getting the vaccine, he said.
Gervais remembers speaking to his mom a couple weeks ago.
She had been feeling really bad and I was like, Well, you sound like you got a respiratory thing mom. You know, I'm super glad you have the vaccine. Thats really, really good. You will be safe. Even if you have it, you know, you won't have it as bad, probably won't be hospitalized, so no worries, said Gervais.
Throughout the week he said hed call to check up on her. She seemed to be getting worse. Once a week had passed, Gervais said he called 10 times, but she didnt pick up the phone. Family went to check on her and discovered her passed out on the ground.
She'd probably been there for 24-plus hours, Gervais said.
Now Karin, a woman who was active at church and in life, is fighting for her life. If she does pull through, shell be looking at a long road to recovery.
Frustrating is not even an adequate word. It's absolutely infuriating, said Gervais.
He said it angers him that whats happening to his mom may have been preventable had it not turned political.
The frustrating thing is that has nothing to do with politics, said Gervais, who said his political beliefs tend to lean libertarian. He said he highly values freedom of choice, but topics related to COVID-19 like getting the vaccine shouldnt be a political discussion, rather a health care discussion.
You wouldn't have somebody that works at the Black Bear Diner work on your car to replace your engine, you know? But that's what they're doing with their literal healthcare, which is 100 times more complicated.
He said his mom, a loving, sweet, kind-hearted woman, got swept up in the tide of misinformation.
That's the saddest part is that people will not understand that, until they have to lose a couple of family members and at that point its too late, Gervais said.
Gervais said the last time he got to talk to his mom while she was still coherent was about a week ago. He told her he loved her and that he and many others were praying for her to pull through. At that point, she wasn't able to talk back to him, but was able to acknowledge his presence.
In less than 24 hours, he said his moms health had degraded even more. He wasnt sure if she had much longer.
Gervais hopes his story helps others see the importance of vaccination.
- Joe Rogan's Insta Post on "The Age of Conflict" Garners Over 600K Likes - We Got This Covered - November 28th, 2021
- Dear panicking civil libertarians isn't a pandemic the reason you have urgency? - thedailyblog.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Justice system reform is a wedge partisan issue. It doesn't have to be. - Savannah Morning News - November 28th, 2021
- Poll: Dunleavy ranks high in popularity, compared to all other governors - Must Read Alaska - November 28th, 2021
- David Brooks: We live in the Age of the Creative Minority - Salt Lake Tribune - November 25th, 2021
- Letter: Libertarianism is inherently antithetical to racism | Letters to the Editor | unionleader.com - The Union Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- How do Michigan roads rank in US? Libertarian think tank crunches the numbers - The Detroit News - November 23rd, 2021
- Stern rips anti-vaxxers: 'I might have to run' just to clean up their mess - The Hill - November 23rd, 2021
- Corruption and Patronage Are the Norm in the Australian Labor Party - Jacobin magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Checking in on the candidates for Congress in 2022 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - November 23rd, 2021
- The false memory of an immaculate Ronald Reagan - The Week Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- Auckland lockdown to end as New Zealand tries new virus tack - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 23rd, 2021
- Readers Respond to Tribes' Objections to Dutch Bros.' Horse Racing Gamble - Willamette Week - November 23rd, 2021
- Chris Jones explains his position on the issues on 40/29 News On The Record - 4029tv - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Sum of Us' by Heather McGhee - The Somerville Times - November 17th, 2021
- Opinion/Barham: Moderates have no one to vote for - The Providence Journal - November 17th, 2021
- Nobel Prize-winning writer may be prosecuted for crimes against the state | TheHill - The Hill - November 17th, 2021
- New Hampshire protesters taunt Biden with Lets go Brandon jeers - Boston Herald - November 17th, 2021
- Now we know what the COVID police will do - Smoky Mountain News - November 17th, 2021
- Michigan GOP Official Hosted Podcast With White Nationalist - The Daily Beast - November 17th, 2021
- If libertarians built the roads, maybe they wouldnt be racist - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- The White Mountain Boys - Washington Monthly - November 13th, 2021
- Why Gen Z is fed-up with our two-party systemand will force it to change - New York Post - November 13th, 2021
- She helped her husband start a far-right militia group. Now the Oath Keeper's wife says she has regrets - Los Angeles Times - November 13th, 2021
- The post-Reagan GOP is still a work in progress - The Week Magazine - November 13th, 2021
- Guest Opinion: Calling out the Idaho Freedom Foundation - Idaho County Free Press - November 13th, 2021
- Josh Hawley is dead right about men and marriage - Washington Examiner - November 13th, 2021
- Cindy Axne will run for reelection in Congress, closing the door on Iowa gubernatorial bid - Des Moines Register - November 13th, 2021
- Kmele Foster Is Right: Banning Critical Race Theory Isn't Going To Stop It - The Federalist - November 13th, 2021
- Save AmericaReject Libertarianism - The American Mind - November 9th, 2021
- Poul Anderson - Wikipedia - November 9th, 2021
- Whos Afraid of Higher Education? - New York Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Libertarian VP candidate visits The Firing Pin with message of limited government - The Batavian - November 9th, 2021
- The Rise of the Mises Caucus - Bacon's Rebellion - November 9th, 2021
- The Infrastructure Bill Makes Building Back More Expensive - Reason - November 9th, 2021
- Politics Is Rotting Brains and Making Everyone Mad - Reason - November 9th, 2021
- Experimenting with Higher Education - Daily Nous - November 9th, 2021
- Controversy arises: Will Savin or Elgin be appointed Westport's third selectman? - CTPost - November 9th, 2021
- Trustees need to shake off the recent Clark County public school nightmare - The Nevada Independent - November 9th, 2021
- The Trump vs. McConnell War Is Upon Us - The Bulwark - November 9th, 2021
- Get ready for election 2022: What you need to know before the primaries - WFMYNews2.com - November 9th, 2021
- Biosimilars Could Wind Up Saving $7.8 Billion in 2021, Says California Think Tank - Managed Healthcare Executive - November 9th, 2021
- The BS is Strong with Marco Rubio - Legal Reader - November 9th, 2021
- Revulsion at Venezuela is fuelling the hard right in Latin America - The Economist - November 9th, 2021
- Minarchism - RationalWiki - October 24th, 2021
- Crowded race for West Hartford council: 14 candidates from four parties plus an unaffiliated challenger - Yahoo News - October 24th, 2021
- David Seymour not keen on housing bill, promises he is still a libertarian - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2021
- The Biden White House Is Lying About the Democrats' Spending Bill - Reason - October 19th, 2021
- Roy Exum: Beware Of The Cobra - The Chattanoogan - October 19th, 2021
- 2021 Election In Manchester: How To Vote, Whos On The Ballot - Patch.com - October 19th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- ARPA funding slow to go out, and in Bladen County theres a reasonable explanation for that - Elizabethtown Bladen Journal - October 19th, 2021
- Opinion | How Tweeting Can Be Like Pro Wrestling, and Other Observations - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021
- Robert Nozick - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2021
- Election 21: When, Where & How To Vote In Wall Township - Patch.com - October 17th, 2021
- Martin wants to bring alternative voice to Lincoln County - lincolnnewsnow.com - October 17th, 2021
- Covid infection and death rates are worsening by the day but were still eerily calm - iNews - October 17th, 2021
- Sick, but Not in a Good Way - National Review - October 17th, 2021
- Javier Milei, a libertarian, may be elected to Argentina's congress - The Economist - October 13th, 2021
- Are you a Libertarian Paternalist with your clients? - Accounting Today - October 13th, 2021
- Y: The Last Man Recap: Moths in the Pentagon - Vulture - October 13th, 2021
- Is Joe Biden the duly elected President of the United States of America? - The Nevada Independent - October 13th, 2021
- Not Just the Mayor: NYCs Other City- and Borough-Wide Seats in Novembers Election - THE CITY - October 13th, 2021
- Comparing Rand Paul to the Squad is unfair. He doesn't hate Israel - Haaretz - October 13th, 2021
- The Undignified Demise of Centrism - The American Prospect - October 13th, 2021
- This black American flag has a disturbing message and has been popping up across the U.S. - Upworthy - October 13th, 2021
- Independent Lt. Governor candidates say both parties have failed to solve New Jersey's problems - New Jersey Globe | New Jersey Politics - October 13th, 2021
- Voter rolls looking bluer ahead of off-year election - FOX31 Denver - October 13th, 2021
- As Facebook Crumbles, the Case for Breaking It Up Is Weaker Than Ever - Reason - October 7th, 2021
- Voice of the People 09/30/21 | Letters To Editor | leadertelegram.com - Leader-Telegram - October 1st, 2021
- Two Authors View America From Above and Below, and Are Not Happy With What They See - The New York Times - October 1st, 2021
- Voter information guide for special election to fill Alcee Hastings' seat - WPTV.com - September 29th, 2021
- California recall flop a warning to Republicans - Washington Times - September 29th, 2021
- With 3 months to go, 2021 is already a dismal year. Welcome to the pandemic of disunity | Mike Kelly - NorthJersey.com - September 29th, 2021
- Australia's Right-Wing Libertarians Are Trying to Capitalize on Anti-Lockdown Sentiment - Jacobin magazine - September 24th, 2021
- The Black Box of Peter Thiels Beliefs - POLITICO - September 24th, 2021
- The Republican Party's surprising socialist connection - Gainesville Sun - September 24th, 2021
- Cato and the Court - National Review - September 24th, 2021
- Australian police exploit extreme right-wing, anti-vax rallies to deploy new repressive weaponry - WSWS - September 24th, 2021
- The English are rogues in a way we Irish only imagine ourselves to be - The Irish Times - September 20th, 2021