Right-wing personality Candace Owens is urging her fans to consume a quack medical cure known for turning users skin blue.
In an Instagram video posted on Thursday, Owens praised the use of colloidal silver as a daily supplement, a treatment that comes with no valid medical use and plenty of health risks.
Yes, colloidal silver! Owens said in the video. I take colloidal silver every single day, I love colloidal silver. That is a great one. That is another one that people probably know nothing about.
While Owens and others have praised preventative use of colloidal silver as a way to stave off illness, colloidal silver has no valid medical purpose and plenty of potential dangers. In extreme cases, according to the Mayo Clinic, colloidal silver can cause seizure or organ problems.
Owens didnt respond to a request for comment.
But colloidal silvers most famous side effect is argyriaa condition that turns users skin a bluish-gray color, usually permanently. Despite those risks, colloidal silver has sometimes been embraced by political outsiders, including some libertarians seeking treatments for a variety of illnesses outside the medical system. Montana Libertarian politician Stan Jones, for example, turned his skin blue by consuming colloidal silver.
Owens laid out her colloidal silver regimen in a follow-up Instagram comment to a fan asking for more information about colloidal silver, claiming she takes a teaspoon a day and more when Im sick in a post first highlighted by liberal activist William LeGate.
As little as that one teaspoon of silver a day could be enough to cause argyria, depending on the concentration of the silver solution. According to medical research, a 56-year-old man who took a teaspoon every day for allergy and cold medication noticed that his fingernails were turning blue.
Owens isnt the only far-right figure to endorse silver as a fringe medical cure. In 2020, the FDA warned InfoWars chief Alex Jones to stop promising that silver toothpaste and other silver products sold on his website could prevent or treat the coronavirus.
Owenss pro-colloidal silver video came days after a disastrous interview where Owens, who works for conservative commentator Ben Shapiros The Daily Wire, interviewed former President Donald Trump. In a surprise move, Trump rebuffed Owens criticism of the coronavirus vaccines, praising the vaccines results as very good.
In the same video in which she praised colloidal silver, Owens downplayed Trumps support for the vaccines, claiming Trump is too old to read anti-vaccine information on the internet. She also attacked vaccinations more broadly, claiming, among other things, that theres real evil behind tetanus shots.
- Libertarian Tim Wilson finally manages to get government out of his life - The Shovel - May 25th, 2022
- Libertarians, Democrats to hold joint town hall in New Albany - Evening News and Tribune - May 21st, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Libertarians are not naive - BayToday.ca - May 21st, 2022
- Election file: Lockdowns abused the rights of Sudburians, Libertarian candidate says - The Sudbury Star - May 21st, 2022
- Al Cross: As primary voters move GOP farther right, will others follow? - Courier Journal - May 21st, 2022
- 'Growing pains' | Northern Kentucky incumbents ousted in legislative primary - WHAS11.com - May 20th, 2022
- Kurl: COVID, conservatism and the downfall of Alberta's Jason Kenney - Ottawa Citizen - May 20th, 2022
- Academic Freedom and the Mission of the University - Reason - May 20th, 2022
- More Crypto Regulation: Thank The Federal Reserve - Seeking Alpha - May 20th, 2022
- In New Hampshire, Libertarians, Budget Cuts, And A Small Town Battle To Save Public Education - Forbes - May 17th, 2022
- A new era at TheWeek.com and a goodbye - The Week - May 17th, 2022
- Indiana Democrats, Libertarians join together for town hall series ahead of November election - WFYI - May 17th, 2022
- As Kendrick Lamar releases new album Mr Morale, revisiting the reflections of social disquietude in rapper's music-Opinion News - Firstpost - May 17th, 2022
- Abortion: Let's look at the arguments pro and con - The Citizen.com - May 17th, 2022
- Election 2022: Who's on the Ballot? - Georgetowner - May 17th, 2022
- Why are liberals trying to water down the racist views of the Buffalo gunman? - Washington Examiner - May 17th, 2022
- The Buffalo shooter was an eco-socialist racist who hated Fox News and Ben Shapiro - Washington Examiner - May 17th, 2022
- Ron Swanson's Best Significant Other On Parks And Recreation Is Obvious To Fans - Looper - May 17th, 2022
- The Pandemic Revealed Americas Deeper Sickness - The Nation - May 17th, 2022
- Letter to the Editor:Important Information for Voters from Common Cause - The Paper - May 17th, 2022
- McMullins is a DC man through and through and won't do what Utah voters need. - Salt Lake Tribune - April 29th, 2022
- The New New Right Was Forged in Greed and White Backlash - The Intercept - April 29th, 2022
- What's Conservative About the New Conservatism? - The Dispatch - April 29th, 2022
- How The Swiss Government Is Helping Bitcoin & Blockchain Technology Grow Up - Forbes - April 29th, 2022
- The power of the independent voter - Denver 7 Colorado News - April 29th, 2022
- As Illinois gears up to vote on workers' rights, unions remember those killed on the job - The State Journal-Register - April 29th, 2022
- Meet the Republican Candidates for State Auditor and Treasurer - Nebraska Public Media | News - April 29th, 2022
- Morgan County Democrats and local candidates join bipartisan effort demanding paper ballots ahead of the 2022 Midterm elections - Morgan County... - April 27th, 2022
- The Anti-Vaxxers Won. This Is Pandemic Country. - The River - The River Newsroom - April 27th, 2022
- Kansas activists opposed to COVID-19 mandates greet legislators with rally at Capitol - Kansas Reflector - April 27th, 2022
- Does Elon Musk really understand the books he claims inspired him? - The Telegraph - April 27th, 2022
- Personal Freedom: Libertarians, the Russia-Ukraine Crisis, and a Crisis of Ideology - Modern Diplomacy - April 20th, 2022
- The libertarian phenomenon towards 2023: strengths and challenges - Zyri - April 20th, 2022
- Will Washington County shift back to its conservative roots? - Portland Tribune - April 20th, 2022
- The risk in a Biden reversal of medical conscience protections - The Week - April 20th, 2022
- What Peter Thiel, J.D. Vance, and Others Are Learning From Curtis Yarvin and the New Right - Vanity Fair - April 20th, 2022
- The Elusive Politics of Elon Musk - The New York Times - April 17th, 2022
- 'The more the merrier': Who looks to unseat Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt in 2022 election? - Oklahoman.com - April 17th, 2022
- Campaign Notebook: Keeping tabs on paper clips and the two Jesse Whites - Shaw Local News Network - April 17th, 2022
- Peter Coy - The Law That Shaped the Internet Presents a Question for Elon Musk - Asharq Al-awsat - English - April 17th, 2022
- "Minx" is a breezy good time reminding the left to reclaim the lost politics of pleasure - Salon - April 17th, 2022
- Opinion | Will Democrats Soon Be Locked Out of Power? - The New York Times - April 17th, 2022
- The Real War in Ukraine and the Culture War in Florida - Reason - April 17th, 2022
- Do Democracy: Remake the Wisconsin Idea - Daily Kos - April 17th, 2022
- Register to vote in the May Primary before the April 25 deadline - Morgan County Citizen - April 17th, 2022
- Why Hawks Fear the Restraint Coalition - The American Conservative - April 17th, 2022
- Guns, guns everywhere: Last weeks subway shooting was horrifying. If the Supreme Court creates a national right to carry, the future will be worse. -... - April 17th, 2022
- Deadline to register to vote in primaries is April 22 - Lenoir News-Topic - April 17th, 2022
- GA Cohen Showed Why We Should All Be Socialists - Jacobin magazine - April 17th, 2022
- Stoics and storms - Counterpoint - ABC News - March 31st, 2022
- Mike Bordes: Free staters and Libertarians are the only RINOs here - The Laconia Daily Sun - March 31st, 2022
- Filings close with races forming in SFC | Government and Politics | dailyjournalonline.com - Daily Journal Online - March 31st, 2022
- The Political Compass of Housing and Urbanism - Planetizen - March 31st, 2022
- ELECTION 2022: Statewide Seats on the Primary Ballot - Gothenburg Leader - March 31st, 2022
- Monday numbers: A closer look at the counties where unaffiliated voters top Democrats and Republicans - ncpolicywatch.com - March 31st, 2022
- $450 million plant needs funding and workers, candidate for governor has plan to raise pay for best teachers - WHO TV 13 Des Moines News & Weather - March 31st, 2022
- 2022 election: Who is on the ballot in Spartanburg County Council, SC State House races - Spartanburg Herald Journal - March 31st, 2022
- Larry Sharpe, and Libertarians, Want New Yorkers to Look Beyond Democrat and Republican Parties - Yonkers Times - March 27th, 2022
- Architects Reveal Bizarre Plans for a Libertarian City in the Metaverse - Hyperallergic - March 27th, 2022
- Nevadans may have one fewer political party on ballots in 2024 - The Nevada Independent - March 27th, 2022
- Gay conservatism is a contradiction in terms - WORLD News Group - March 27th, 2022
- Jackson's Hearing Shows How Republicans and Democrats Are Diverging on Crime - The New York Times - March 27th, 2022
- Opinion | Why We Need Wartime Dissent - The New York Times - March 27th, 2022
- Feudalistic Threats to Web 3.0 - Security Boulevard - March 27th, 2022
- When Black people refuse to quietly endure intolerance, amazing things can happen - San Francisco Chronicle - March 27th, 2022
- Are Andrew Yang, Joe Biden & Donald Trump the future of US politics? - The Michigan Daily - March 27th, 2022
- What Is the Future of American Conservatism? - City Journal - March 18th, 2022
- Democrats to lose more ground among Hispanic voters, operatives warn - Axios - March 18th, 2022
- The Traitor Was Paid to Cook for the Russians - Econlib - March 18th, 2022
- When 3-to-1 is challenged, what about the close races? - SaportaReport - March 18th, 2022
- Sean Speer: Why conservatives are so keen on cryptocurrencies - The Hub - March 18th, 2022
- Populists are losing this war - UnHerd - March 18th, 2022
- Voting in Asheville, Buncombe, WNC starts April 28; who's on the ballot? A complete list - Citizen Times - March 18th, 2022
- Millis receives Libertarian nomination for 9th District race - Evening News and Tribune - March 11th, 2022
- Cryptocurrencies and the war in Ukraine | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - March 11th, 2022
- Tom Cotton is no Andrew Jackson - The Week - March 11th, 2022
- The Limits of Libertarianism - newgeography.com - March 8th, 2022
- Cotton can't square the circle between Reagan and Trump - The Week - March 8th, 2022
- Hillary Clinton Is 'Disappointed' by Crypto Exchanges' 'Philosophy of Libertarianism' Hillary Clinton Is 'Disappointed' by Crypto Exchanges'... - March 2nd, 2022
- Will Ruger: How Libertarians Should Think About Ukraine Invasion - Reason - March 2nd, 2022