RAPID CITY, S.D. South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem likes to present herself as a normal everyday person who enjoys life.
Appearing at FreedomFest 21, a gathering of 2,700 conservatives and libertarians, Noem said, nobody knew who I was until liberals began attacking me every night on the national news. Shes referring to her conservative views on economic and social issues.
Noem benefits from a roaring economy. She says there are fewer than 2,500 South Dakotans on public assistance and 28,000 job openings. The state has no state income tax. Property taxes average 1.22%. Annual economic growth is 9.9%, among the nations best. Houses are inexpensive relative to many other places. With such figures its no surprise theres been a population growth of 8.9% since 2010.
We talked shortly after recent shootings in Northwest Washington, D.C., and an outraged Robert J. Contee III, the police chief in Washington, blamed judges for releasing criminals back onto the streets where they often engage in more violent criminal behavior.
Noem believes Republicans can and should re-take the law-and-order issue in 2022 and 2024. In an interview, she told me, What we are seeing . . . on our streets (are) the consequences of . . . whats happening in the Democratic leadership and their lack of support for police officers and those who step up and serve. (Its) being played out in the violence citizens are having to live with. Its going to continue if something doesnt change.
She says the street violence and looting in major cities is not only the fault of judges and district attorneys, but also overcrowding in our prison system. Theres less funding for the judicial system so they release individuals instead of putting them through the process of prosecution and sentencing, or through rehab. Its a problem that hasnt been addressed for many, many years (and) has gotten worse as the violence has escalated. When theres no consequence for it, law and order goes away.
Asked about the state of the Republican Party, she responds, Its the party that is bringing hope. If you look at what Democrats are embracing socialism, communism, lack of personal responsibility. Every problem that presents itself they think some bureaucrat in Washington, D.C., would handle it better than a Mom or a Dad, or a cousin or grandparent . . .
The Republican Party has a unique opportunity to talk about what we stand for and have always stood for and have proven to be the policies and the values that create opportunities for families and states and businesses. . . . When you look at some states that have done what we believe in you can see overwhelming prosperity and families healthier and in school getting educated, and thats what the American dream is and what the Republican Party needs to be talking about.
Noem believes Donald Trump will run for president again in 2024. I think (former) President Trump did a great job. . . . I believe that is something we all (can) and should welcome back. The policies of seven or eight months ago were contributing to a booming America. We were creating jobs and addressing challenges confronting us together. I think hell run and if he does, Ill certainly support him.
She is open about her Christian faith and says it influences many of her policy positions: What the government has done in the last (several months) is to continue to push secularism. She thinks that will continue and is something we will have to fight. We will drive people to us by our optimism. You turn on the news and its discouraging. You see the violence played out on the streets. Christians have a unique opportunity to bring hope and light . . .
Noem turns 50 later this year and is a first-time grandmother. She also displays qualities for national office Republicans claim to want. Trump and others (including her opponents) should keep an eye on her.
Cal Thomas is a syndicated columnist and author. Readers may email him at: [emailprotected]
Please check your email to confirm and complete your registration.
Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.
- David Seymour not keen on housing bill, promises he is still a libertarian - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2021
- The Biden White House Is Lying About the Democrats' Spending Bill - Reason - October 19th, 2021
- Roy Exum: Beware Of The Cobra - The Chattanoogan - October 19th, 2021
- 2021 Election In Manchester: How To Vote, Whos On The Ballot - Patch.com - October 19th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- ARPA funding slow to go out, and in Bladen County theres a reasonable explanation for that - Elizabethtown Bladen Journal - October 19th, 2021
- Opinion | How Tweeting Can Be Like Pro Wrestling, and Other Observations - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021
- Robert Nozick - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2021
- Election 21: When, Where & How To Vote In Wall Township - Patch.com - October 17th, 2021
- Martin wants to bring alternative voice to Lincoln County - lincolnnewsnow.com - October 17th, 2021
- Covid infection and death rates are worsening by the day but were still eerily calm - iNews - October 17th, 2021
- Sick, but Not in a Good Way - National Review - October 17th, 2021
- Javier Milei, a libertarian, may be elected to Argentina's congress - The Economist - October 13th, 2021
- Are you a Libertarian Paternalist with your clients? - Accounting Today - October 13th, 2021
- Y: The Last Man Recap: Moths in the Pentagon - Vulture - October 13th, 2021
- Is Joe Biden the duly elected President of the United States of America? - The Nevada Independent - October 13th, 2021
- Not Just the Mayor: NYCs Other City- and Borough-Wide Seats in Novembers Election - THE CITY - October 13th, 2021
- Comparing Rand Paul to the Squad is unfair. He doesn't hate Israel - Haaretz - October 13th, 2021
- The Undignified Demise of Centrism - The American Prospect - October 13th, 2021
- This black American flag has a disturbing message and has been popping up across the U.S. - Upworthy - October 13th, 2021
- Independent Lt. Governor candidates say both parties have failed to solve New Jersey's problems - New Jersey Globe | New Jersey Politics - October 13th, 2021
- Voter rolls looking bluer ahead of off-year election - FOX31 Denver - October 13th, 2021
- As Facebook Crumbles, the Case for Breaking It Up Is Weaker Than Ever - Reason - October 7th, 2021
- Voice of the People 09/30/21 | Letters To Editor | leadertelegram.com - Leader-Telegram - October 1st, 2021
- Two Authors View America From Above and Below, and Are Not Happy With What They See - The New York Times - October 1st, 2021
- Voter information guide for special election to fill Alcee Hastings' seat - WPTV.com - September 29th, 2021
- California recall flop a warning to Republicans - Washington Times - September 29th, 2021
- With 3 months to go, 2021 is already a dismal year. Welcome to the pandemic of disunity | Mike Kelly - NorthJersey.com - September 29th, 2021
- Australia's Right-Wing Libertarians Are Trying to Capitalize on Anti-Lockdown Sentiment - Jacobin magazine - September 24th, 2021
- The Black Box of Peter Thiels Beliefs - POLITICO - September 24th, 2021
- The Republican Party's surprising socialist connection - Gainesville Sun - September 24th, 2021
- Cato and the Court - National Review - September 24th, 2021
- Australian police exploit extreme right-wing, anti-vax rallies to deploy new repressive weaponry - WSWS - September 24th, 2021
- The English are rogues in a way we Irish only imagine ourselves to be - The Irish Times - September 20th, 2021
- Salter: The constitution and the concept of liberty - LubbockOnline.com - September 20th, 2021
- Navalny allies accuse Telegram and other platforms of censorship - Al Jazeera English - September 20th, 2021
- At the Supreme Court, a Plea to Reveal Secret Surveillance Rulings - The New York Times - September 20th, 2021
- Navalny allies accuse Telegram of censorship in Russian election - Yahoo Finance - September 20th, 2021
- NY redistricting commissions obscenely partisan maps defy will of voters (Guest Opinion by Mark Braiman) - syracuse.com - September 20th, 2021
- What the Proposed Tax Deal Means for Your Business - Inc. - September 20th, 2021
- WWE Mayor Kane Defies Authority, Will Not Comply with Vaccine Mandate - Bleeding Cool News - September 20th, 2021
- Larry Elder Speaks to Newsweek on Why He Lost to Gavin Newsom and What He May Do Next - Newsweek - September 17th, 2021
- Trio of election experts offers Arizona Senate another chance to check Cyber Ninjas audit work - The Arizona Republic - September 17th, 2021
- The Contrarian Goes Searching for Peter Thiels Elusive Core - The New York Times - September 16th, 2021
- The tragically misguided zeal of US anti-vaccination libertarians - Mint - September 16th, 2021
- Libertarian Tories will rue waving through social care tax trick - Telegraph.co.uk - September 16th, 2021
- Who's running in the federal election in central and northern Alberta's 19 ridings - CBC.ca - September 16th, 2021
- Three election candidates take part in election forum in Central Alberta - Red Deer Advocate - September 16th, 2021
- Learning to be a real conservative | Hillsboro Star-Journal | Sept. 16, 2021 - Hillsboro Star-Journal - September 16th, 2021
- The government has no business mandating vaccines - The Nevada Independent - September 16th, 2021
- Commentary: Texas upends the Republican 'leave us alone coalition' - The Sun Chronicle - September 16th, 2021
- Conservatives and Kristi Noem Used to Think Government Should Require Vaccines - Dakota Free Press - September 16th, 2021
- Social Security is running out of money. Heres how to fix it. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - September 8th, 2021
- Trapped in the self Catholic Philly - CatholicPhilly.com - September 4th, 2021
- Federal Judge Hands a Big Victory to Prospective Third-Party, Independent Candidates in Georgia Peach Pundit - Peach Pundit - September 4th, 2021
- The paradox at the heart of the vaccine mandate debate | TheHill - The Hill - September 4th, 2021
- Nearly 15,000 Nevadans register to vote in August - FOX5 Las Vegas - September 2nd, 2021
- JD Vance Surrenders to the Politics of Hate - Reason - September 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about Wario - Polygon - September 2nd, 2021
- Voter ID: Why Doesn't America Have a National ID Card? - The Atlantic - September 2nd, 2021
- My recent votes on the PFD - Anchorage Daily News - September 2nd, 2021
- Recall Front-Runner Larry Elder Says Hes a Libertarian and I Dont Have Horns - Times of San Diego - September 1st, 2021
- Libertarians Correctly Predicted the Afghanistan Fiasco Reason.com - Reason - September 1st, 2021
- Salter: Liberty forgotten and the Article of Confederation - LubbockOnline.com - September 1st, 2021
- 'Liberty Republicans' and an evolving GOP - Concord Monitor - September 1st, 2021
- Libertarian view: Beliefs and expectations, reasonable and unreasonable - The Spectrum - September 1st, 2021
- Meet the 4 Inland Empire candidates on the Gavin Newsom recall ballot - San Bernardino County Sun - September 1st, 2021
- 'Frustrating is not even an adequate word': Health care worker's unvaccinated mom in ICU with COVID-19 - KGW.com - September 1st, 2021
- Letters to the editor for Tuesday, August 31, 2021 - News-Press - September 1st, 2021
- Why You Should Be Optimistic About The Future Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - September 1st, 2021
- Sean Penn Likens Unvaccinated People To Someone Pointing A Gun In Your Face And Citing Second Amendment Rights - Yahoo Entertainment - August 22nd, 2021
- Opinion | Libertarians and the Vaccine: Give Me Liberty and Give Them Death - Common Dreams - August 11th, 2021
- Letter: A Wrong Approach | Opinion | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - August 11th, 2021
- Larry Elders outspoken conservative radio rhetoric under scrutiny in California recall election - The Detroit News - August 11th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Regulations On The Horizon; Expect 2 Sets Of Protocols - Investing.com India - August 11th, 2021
- Rand Paul suspended one week by YouTube over COVID-19 mask claims | TheHill - The Hill - August 11th, 2021
- Mellman: Your rights and my nose | TheHill - The Hill - August 11th, 2021
- How inefficient is the federal government? Check out the eviction moratorium saga - Savannah Morning News - August 11th, 2021
- Many conservatives have a difficult relationship with science we wanted to find out why - The Conversation UK - August 11th, 2021
- Kathi Wright to run for reelection to Ward II seat on Loveland City Council - Loveland Reporter-Herald - August 11th, 2021