While it may seem like the International Space Station is just now fully hitting its stride as far as scientific output and the ability for crew rotations from several different spacecraft, the ISS has been operating with astronauts on board for over 21 years. Knowing the modules and entire physical structure cannot endure the long-term effects of the harsh space environment forever, NASAs Office of the Inspector General has issued a new report outlining the agencys plans to keep the space station in orbit until 2030, and to replace it with one or more commercial space stations.
Anticipating its retirement, NASA has committed to replacing the ISS with one or more commercially owned and operated space destinations, the report says, emphasizing that they hope at least one commercial station could be operational by 2028. This would provide a period of two years of overlap and handover to avoid a substantial gap in on-orbit science investigations. Such a gap would result in the delay of deep space human exploration missions, the report says.
Even though the retirement of the ISS is currently scheduled for 2024, NASA and the international partners have indicated that the ISSs operational life could be extended to 2030.
The Station was designed with a life expectancy of 15 years with a safety factor of two, meaning it could last 30 years after the 1998 launch of its first segments, the report says, adding that NASA is optimistic that the Stations life can be extended to 2030.
But structural wear and tear is becoming evident. NASA and Roscosmos are investigating the cause and long-term impacts of cracks and leaks that were recently discovered in the Stations Service Module Transfer Tunnel, which connects the Service Module to one of eight docking ports on the Station. Causes being explored include structural fatigue, internal damage, external damage, and material defects.
Notably, the report says an updated analysis of the structural longevity of other segments as well should be done because the leaks were caused by cracks that models suggest should not exist. This would suggest the possibility of an earlier-than-projected obsolescence for at least one element of the Station.
The ISS costs about $3 billion a year, roughly a third of NASAs annual human space flight budget. Commercial companies say they can provide brand new facilities for a better price, making for a better investment for NASA.
NASA says the Artemis program, aimed at returning humans to the Moon and ultimately landing astronauts on Mars, is not feasible without continued human health research and technology demonstrations being conducted on the ISS and its eventual replacement.
Therefore, in looking ahead, NASA announced today they have signed agreements with three U.S. companies to develop designs of space stations and other commercial destinations in space. They agency said they want to enable a robust, American-led commercial economy in low-Earth orbit.
The companies are Blue Origin for their Orbital Reef space station design, receiving $130 million, Nanoracks LLC, for $160 million, Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation for $125.6 million.
NASA seeks to maintain an uninterrupted U.S. presence in low-Earth orbit by transitioning from the International Space Station to other platforms, NASA said in a press release. These awards will stimulate U.S. private sector development of commercial, independent space stations that will be available to both government and private-sector customers.
In early 2020, NASA announced a Plan for Commercial LEO Development, which they hope will foster economic development in LEO and to drive innovation. At that time, they announced the selection of Axiom Space of Houston to provide a commercial habitation module for the ISS.
Its great that NASA and the other international partners are planning ahead to keep an operational space station in orbit for the long term. But ultimately, whether in response to an emergency or at the end of its useful service life, NASA acknowledged in the report that there needs to be a plan decommission and deorbit the ISS. This will be technically complex, as well as costly, requiring international participation and a critical decision on timing.
You can read the entire OIG report here.
- Proven Levels of Human Longevity | NextBigFuture.com - September 11th, 2022
- Prolonging healthspan by delaying ageing -- NUHS opens Singapore's first Centre for Healthy Longevity to increase healthy lifespan of Singapore... - September 11th, 2022
- What is the Secret to Longevity in Real Estate? - CandysDirt.com - Candy's Dirt - September 11th, 2022
- Jeff Stukey & Jay Olshansky, Ph.D with Wealthspan Advisors, Interviewed on the Influential Entrepreneurs Podcast Discussing How Aging Science... - September 11th, 2022
- The Queen of the World - The Atlantic - September 11th, 2022
- THR Icon: At 100, Norman Lear Looks Back (And Ahead) at Whats Changed Since the Maude Abortion Episode - Hollywood Reporter - September 11th, 2022
- TIFF 2022: The Colour of Ink Review - ThatShelf.com - September 11th, 2022
- Should Age Be on the Ballot? - Next Avenue - September 11th, 2022
- Was The Spring Water At Balmoral Castle The Secret To Elizabeth II's Longevity? - Nation World News - September 11th, 2022
- A complete guide to the health benefits of nuts europeantimes.news - The European Times - September 11th, 2022
- Debut Launches its Bio2Consumer Platform to Become the Leader in Vertically Integrated Synthetic Biology - PR Web - September 11th, 2022
- Rapamycin Drug Used in Cancer Therapy Found to Increase Human Lifespan [Study] - Nature World News - August 30th, 2022
- Eating Healthy: Why Eating Grapes Would Increase Lifespan | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Guardian Life The Guardian Nigeria... - August 30th, 2022
- Beauty Bets on Longevity WWD - WWD - August 30th, 2022
- Analysis of the impact of success on three dimensions of sustainability in 173 countries | Scientific Reports - Nature.com - August 30th, 2022
- You might have glowing skin in no time by making few easy changes to your skincare routine - TDPel Media - August 30th, 2022
- Nucleai Appoints New Head of Pathology to Support Expansion in Biopharmaceutical and Clinical Markets - Business Wire - August 8th, 2022
- Daily AI Roundup: Biggest Machine Learning, Robotic And Automation Updates - AiThority - August 8th, 2022
- Prolonged and intense heatwave affecting parts of western and northern Europe breaks temperature records; globally, July 2022 was one of three warmest... - August 8th, 2022
- YLEM: Augmenting sustainable futures through material exploration and testing - STIRworld - August 8th, 2022
- Do you want to live forever? Big Tech and the quest for eternal youth - The New Statesman - August 6th, 2022
- This startup wants to copy you into an embryo for organ harvesting - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2022
- Renewal Bio Acquires Breakthrough Stem Cell Technology With Applications in Infertility and Longevity - Benzinga - August 6th, 2022
- Get married or get a degree to live longer says study, debunking theories of womens longevity over men - Times Now - August 6th, 2022
- Nucleai Appoints New Head of Pathology to Support Expansion in Biopharmaceutical and Clinical Markets - StreetInsider.com - August 6th, 2022
- Some species are immortal but dying of old age is humanity's secret weapon - The Telegraph - August 6th, 2022
- Opinion: Changing When and How Much We Eat May Extend Health Span - The Scientist - August 6th, 2022
- Vieroots uses genome testing to win over a growing tribe of wellness enthusiasts - YourStory - August 6th, 2022
- Herbs radiate and give you youthful skin - The Hans India - August 6th, 2022
- How Pop Culture, Politics, Science, and Business Got So Old - The Atlantic - August 6th, 2022
- John Hood: How to read this column | Columnists | journalnow.com - Winston-Salem Journal - August 6th, 2022
- How Long Is The Human Lifespan? Here's What Studies Have Found | mindbodygreen - mindbodygreen - July 31st, 2022
- Employees are livingand workinglonger. CEOs are introducing initiatives like phased retirements to harness the longevity economy - Fortune - July 31st, 2022
- Why Do We Get Old, and Can Aging Be Reversed? - Quanta Magazine - July 31st, 2022
- The Secret to Longevity? Here Are 7 Health Tech Gadgets That Can Help - The Recursive - July 31st, 2022
- Four Fitness Facts to Fuel Your Workout - The New York Times - July 31st, 2022
- Chris Reed: Has the Fountain of Youth been found just west of Interstate 5? - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 31st, 2022
- Exercising more than recommended could prolong your life: study - The Hill - July 31st, 2022
- Take these 10 steps to live a longer life from delaying breakfast to list-making... - The US Sun - July 31st, 2022
- Precision Medicine Software Market Size, Scope, Growth Opportunities, Trends by Manufacturers And Forecast ... - This Is Ardee - July 31st, 2022
- Propelling Airmen to a higher level of readiness - keesler.af.mil - July 31st, 2022
- Bear Grylls Says He's Anti-Vegetable. Here's What Science Says - The Beet - July 31st, 2022
- Beyond the Elon Musk hook-up scandal - Meet the real Nicole Shanahan - The 33 year old is a tech whiz and a lawyer who had very humble beginnings and... - July 31st, 2022
- What's behind the Vatican chief diplomat's change of tune? - The Pillar - July 31st, 2022
- Can dogs eat raw meat? The risks and rewards of putting your pup on a raw food diet. - USA TODAY - July 31st, 2022
- 70+ leaders in aging and longevity to present at the 9th ARDD Conference - EurekAlert - July 19th, 2022
- Secrets of Longevity Revealed: Scientists Find Species That Essentially Do Not Age - SciTechDaily - July 19th, 2022
- Targeting Microbiota 2022, 9th World Congress, will be held in Sorbonne University, Paris, France, this October - EurekAlert - July 19th, 2022
- Why is exercise important, according to the science? - Livescience.com - July 19th, 2022
- Men's Loss of Y Chromosome and Heart Disease Risk - Healthline - July 19th, 2022
- Opinion | The end of the internal combustion engine era is in sight - Hamilton Spectator - July 19th, 2022
- Animation Increasingly Part of Successful T&D Strategies - ATD - July 19th, 2022
- UK Scientists Call For Naming of Heatwaves To Save Lives - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - July 19th, 2022
- The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Cast Discuss Their Style Inspiration: 'To Each Their Own' - Yahoo Entertainment - July 19th, 2022
- Laivly adds AI, ML and automation to improve CX - VentureBeat - July 19th, 2022
- Voyager 1 and 2 Spacecraft Enter Final Phase of Their Mission | Planetary News - Planetary News - July 19th, 2022
- European Bison Reintroduced To Roam Freely In Britain - Barron's - July 19th, 2022
- Klotho Protein for Longevity - Delay Dementia, Kidney Disease & Cancer - June 29th, 2022
- The slow ageing of tortoises could unlock secrets to human longevity, says study - HeraldScotland - June 29th, 2022
- Longevity Investors Conference to be held in Gstaad, Switzerland Sept. 2830 - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2022
- The Rejuvenation Startup Summit Speakers - Lifespan.io News - June 29th, 2022
- Your immunity has a life span - The New Indian Express - June 29th, 2022
- PGA urges to protect the ocean, ensure its health and longevity - Raajjemv - June 29th, 2022
- Big Tech Dives into Healthcare With Google Parent Alphabet at the Forefront - The Quint - June 29th, 2022
- The Impact of Funding on Longevity Research - Technology Networks - June 3rd, 2022
- Ian David Hickson to present at the 9th Aging Research & Drug Discovery Meeting 2022 - EurekAlert - June 3rd, 2022
- The 'Benjamin Button' effect: Scientists can reverse aging in mice; the goal is to do the same for humans - WDJT - June 3rd, 2022
- Want to live a long, healthy life? Eat more nuts, whole grains, and legumes and less red meat | Health24 - News24 - June 3rd, 2022
- Struggling With Anxiety? Here's How To Manage It - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - June 3rd, 2022
- Life beyond 120: Doctors weigh in on leading healthier, longer lives - The Peak Singapore - June 3rd, 2022
- The Link Between Our Emotions And Mental Health - Thrive Global - June 3rd, 2022
- Global Paints and Coatings Market Report 2022: Profiles of Key Players The Dow Chemical Company, Troy Corporation, BASF, Thor Group and AkzoNobel -... - June 3rd, 2022
- Five Wellness tools that can help vulnerable individuals cope with stress. - Longevity LIVE - June 3rd, 2022
- Workspace interior decor tips: Spatial changes that can aid human interaction - Hindustan Times - June 3rd, 2022
- 5 Breakfast Habits to Live Like the World's Oldest People Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - May 25th, 2022
- Insecticide resistant Anopheles gambiae have enhanced longevity but reduced reproductive fitness and a longer first gonotrophic cycle | Scientific... - May 25th, 2022
- There may be a way to stop or delay aging. But science is divided - ThePrint - May 25th, 2022
- Why the Cumulina Mouse Is Headed to the Smithsonian | At the Smithsonian - Smithsonian Magazine - May 25th, 2022
- Why Seventh-day Adventists are so often vegan or vegetarian - The Conversation Indonesia - May 25th, 2022
- Focusing on the journey - Newnan Times-Herald - May 25th, 2022