My family and I have always enjoyed dining out. Whether we are at a two-star pancake house or a five-star restaurant, it is always a memorable occasion.
At the same time, there are drawbacks to dining out. Unknown ingredients, high calorie meals and general over-ordering can create unintended consequences. This week, I will discuss some dining out strategies to help reduce the downside while preserving all the things I love about restaurants.
It's no secret that restaurant meals are, in general, higher in saturated fat, sugar and salt when compared against home-cooked meals. There are certainly exceptions, but by and large restaurant meals are less healthful. So, the first tip for dining out relates to frequency.
A 2021 study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found that people who dine out twice or more per day showed an increased risk for premature death. The study included 35,084 adults who reported their dietary habits via the National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey from 1999-2014.
How many Arkansans dine out two times every day? My guess is not many (especially not lately). But there are lessons to be learned here. We should think about how often we eat out. It's not only healthier to cook at home but one's appreciation for a nice restaurant meal will be greater when it's less frequent. That's just human nature.
The other factor to consider is what to order when dining out. If our frequency is low, I think it's fine to splurge once in a while. But this strategy can backfire in terms of after-meal effects (you know what I mean). I like to find a balance by ordering a main dish that is grilled, roasted or baked. I also try to enjoy vegetables in different forms (soups, salads and side dishes) so that I'm not consuming a lot of starches or high-fat items.
These strategies have allowed me to maintain my enjoyment of dining out with very few negative side-effects. But barbecue is my guilty pleasure and it probably always will be. That's one type of meal that I find difficult to "throttle back," especially with all the great barbecue restaurants throughout the Midwest.
Now that my mouth is watering, it's time to introduce an exercise to help tighten up the midsection. Of course the best "exercise" for reducing excess belly fat is push-aways, as in push away from the table. But the Decline Plank Jack requires total body engagement, so it's a perfect addition to a "day after" routine.
1. Set an aerobics step on the lowest height.
2. Get into the "up" phase of a pushup with both feet on the end of the step.
3. Jump both feet out sideways so they land on the floor.
4. Jump them both back onto the step.
5. Continue this pattern of movement for 12 repetitions, and do two sets.
I know there will be readers who scoff at the notion of bringing any sort of discipline to dining out, especially in these pandemic days, when it's been such a special treat. For some, letting loose is part of the enjoyment. I get that. I just find a lot more enjoyment in sticking to a plan while enjoying a nice meal that I select with my health and longevity in mind. But even I am faced with kryptonite from time to time it's called brisket!
Director of business development and population health solutions for Quest Diagnostics, Matt Parrott began this column 20 years ago at Little Rock. He has a doctorate in education (sport studies), a master's in kinesiology and is certified by the American College of Sports Medicine.
- Eating earlier in the evening may have anti-aging benefits - Medical News Today - May 20th, 2022
- You Have Control Over Your Healthspan: A PhD's Go-To Nutrients For Longevity - mindbodygreen.com - May 20th, 2022
- JZZ Technologies, Inc. Receives Significant Increase in Valuation of Its Proprietary Database of over 35 Million Seniors - Yahoo Finance - May 20th, 2022
- Rejuvenation Startup Summit premieres October, 14-15, 2022 in Berlin - Digital Journal - May 20th, 2022
- Can We Fix Ovarian Aging? Here Is One Startup Up For The Task! - Forbes - May 20th, 2022
- Boost longevity: Healthy gut can improve brain function and increase lifespan - new study - The Mirror - May 20th, 2022
- Probiota Pioneers: Fitbiomics on its product pipeline and the goal to scale its microbiome discovery platform - NutraIngredients-usa.com - May 20th, 2022
- The 2 Types of Workout Movements Men Over 40 Need for Longevity - Men's Health - May 20th, 2022
- Wonderfeel to Launch Youngr, Targeting the Root Causes of Aging - PR Newswire - May 20th, 2022
- Beware millennials, boomers want your blood - The Post - UnHerd - May 20th, 2022
- The space renaissance is here. How can we ensure it gives lift-off to all? - World Economic Forum - May 20th, 2022
- Most of Shanghai has ended virus spread, 1M left in lockdown - Verve Times - May 20th, 2022
- Association between health literacy and purpose in life and life satisfaction among health management specialists: a cross-sectional study |... - May 20th, 2022
- Researchers Prove Potential of Training Ants to Sniff Out Cancer - BioSpace - May 20th, 2022
- Study: Valter Longo Characterizes Longevity Diet | USC Gerontology - May 15th, 2022
- Investing in Immortality: The Multibillion-Dollar Longevity Science and Anti-Aging Industry - Anti Aging News - May 15th, 2022
- Fountain of Youth: Cutting Calories and Eating at the Right Time of Day Leads to a Longer Life - SciTechDaily - May 15th, 2022
- Adopting these healthy habits can add years to your life -- even in your 80s - Study Finds - May 15th, 2022
- The Best Lice Treatment Near Me - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - May 15th, 2022
- Justin Gatlin interview: I dont think I was born in the wrong generation - Scroll.in - May 15th, 2022
- The secret to long life or early aging is poop? - Syfy - May 15th, 2022
- Live Long and Healthy - The New Indian Express - May 15th, 2022
- Meet the oldest wombat in the world, Wain, aged 32 - Guinness World Records - May 15th, 2022
- Present Future: Business, Science, and the Deep Tech Revolution - Next Big Idea Club Magazine - May 15th, 2022
- Andrew Symonds, the free-spirited Aussie all-rounder, dies in car crash - Hindustan Times - May 15th, 2022
- Rising Longevity and the Desire to Live Well in Retirement Influence Americans' Priorities and Planning, Edward Jones and Age Wave Research Finds - PR... - May 11th, 2022
- How to live longer: Research says relationships matter more than genetics - Deseret News - May 11th, 2022
- These Simple Tricks Will Add 10 Years to Your Life Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - May 11th, 2022
- Landmark NAD3 human study shows improvements in cellular NAD+ status and biomarkers of cardiovascular health - PR Web - May 11th, 2022
- New intranasal and injectable gene therapy could prolong healthy life - ThePrint - May 11th, 2022
- Handle The Effects of Aging With These Top Tips - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - May 11th, 2022
- Mara Martinn-Torres: The weakest creature is not the frail or the sick, but the one who is alone - EL PAS in English - May 11th, 2022
- Preview: Warped Kart Racers adds Family Guy and King of the Hill to familiar formula - The Mercury News - May 11th, 2022
- Interplex Commits to Set Science-Based Targets for Reducing Emissions - PR Newswire - May 11th, 2022
- N.J. town reinforces bag ban with timely public art | Editorial - NJ.com - May 11th, 2022
- Decentralization is helping to shape the course of scientific research and business - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2022
- Longevity diet: More carbs, fasting, and less protein - Medical News Today - May 7th, 2022
- Can tea prevent cancer and improve overall health? - Medical News Today - May 7th, 2022
- Could we make ageing a thing of the past? - The Guardian - May 7th, 2022
- A visit to the human factory - The Verge - May 7th, 2022
- Meet Lucile Randon: The World's Oldest Person Alive - TheTealMango - May 7th, 2022
- Have you heard of the goodness of Swiss apple stem cells? - Times of India - May 7th, 2022
- The footprint of ship anchoring on the seafloor | Scientific Reports - Nature.com - May 7th, 2022
- Building a diverse team takes effort, but the rewards are worth it - Contemporary Pediatrics - May 7th, 2022
- Matthias Mann to present at the 9th Aging Research & Drug Discovery Meeting 2022 - EurekAlert - April 15th, 2022
- Life expectancy: Experts think they've solved mystery of why humans live to around 80 - Express - April 15th, 2022
- Why billionaires Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos and Peter Thiel want to live longer and Elon Musk doesn't - CNBC - April 15th, 2022
- How to have a longevity mindset for anti-aging technology - Fast Company - April 15th, 2022
- Why Sourdough Bread Can Boost Your Longevity, According to a Registered Dietitian - Well+Good - April 15th, 2022
- Epik Highs Tablo on Longevity, Mental Health, and the Truth About His Stanford Controversy - Complex - April 15th, 2022
- Stanford study finds high energy use provides little benefit for health and well-being in richer nations - Stanford University News - April 15th, 2022
- Cardi B Spills the (Bubble) Tea on the Alleged Secret to Longevity - RADII - March 31st, 2022
- Two servings of fatty fruit per week can reduce risk of heart attack, study says - WAPT Jackson - March 31st, 2022
- The Institute for Mobility and Longevity Partners with Indo-US Collaboration to Pioneer Orthopedic Research and Education - PR Newswire - March 31st, 2022
- New NPG Forum Paper Chronicles the Ebb and Flow of Life Expectancy - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2022
- Why the arrival of retail investors in VC market is the next big thing - Coin Rivet - March 31st, 2022
- Who Drives the Food Delivery Bot When Something Goes Wrong? - Government Technology - March 31st, 2022
- Dudley Lamming to present at the 9th Aging Research & Drug Discovery Meeting 2022 - EurekAlert - March 27th, 2022
- Awaken the Divine Love within You - The New Indian Express - March 27th, 2022
- Corporation looks to restart lithium mining in Kings Mountain - Shelby Star - March 27th, 2022
- There will be many new high school coaches around the Seacoast this spring - Seacoastonline.com - March 27th, 2022
- Statement from members of inter-parliamentary alliance on China (UK) | ICN - Independent Catholic News - March 27th, 2022
- Musk discusses war in Ukraine and importance of nuclear power - Business Insider - March 27th, 2022
- Newcastle hosts international awards showcasing innovations for ageing workforce - Business Live - March 27th, 2022
- Boosting your health and happiness - INFORUM - March 23rd, 2022
- LifeNet Health LifeSciences will showcase innovative all-human research solutions at SOT ToxExpo - PR Newswire - March 23rd, 2022
- Prairie Doc Perspectives: Historic Impact of Public Health The Kansan - Newton Kansan - March 23rd, 2022
- Happiness and health Ingredients to living a long life - Kemi Filani News - March 23rd, 2022
- Noted Alternative Medical Guru Takes on Climate Change in his 8th Book - PR Newswire - March 23rd, 2022
- Ruthie Charlton recognized for Outer Banks Hotline volunteer work - The Coastland Times | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - March 23rd, 2022
- Retirement savings policies need an innovative update - Quartz - March 21st, 2022
- Longevity & Beauty Experts Adore This Antioxidant-Rich Supplement - mindbodygreen.com - March 21st, 2022
- Neuromagen Pharma Announces the Approval of a NIS 1.8M Budget from the Israel Innovation Authority R&D Fund Incentive Program - BioSpace - March 21st, 2022
- Shawn Mendes helps close out SXSW with the power of a one-man boy band - Austin American-Statesman - March 21st, 2022
- "Unhealthy Gut Healing Secrets That Really Work Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 21st, 2022
- How older workers can push back against the reality of ageism - CNBC - March 21st, 2022
- Kazakhstan: History Will Reward the Modernizers - Geopoliticalmonitor.com - March 21st, 2022
- Over 70 Leaders in aging and longevity to present their latest research at the 9th ARDD - EurekAlert - March 18th, 2022
- 'Daily life tasks' shown to slash your risk of heart disease and stroke by up to 50% - Express - March 18th, 2022
- Opinion | This Is Why Autocracies Fail - The New York Times - March 18th, 2022