After its official trailer debuted in November, many were equal parts horrified and enraged by the litany of humanoid cats preparing for the Jellicle ball and Jellicle sacrifice in Cats. Based on Andrew Lloyd Webbers musical of the same name, said outrage came to no ones surprise.
Unfortunately for director Tom Hopper and team, the rage has extended into the films debut, with critics effortlessly tearing the film to shreds.
The almost 40-year-old tale of the Jellicles has been no stranger to condemnation, annoyance and outright shame. Despite a star-studded cast including James Corden (The Late Late Show), Dame Judi Dench (Skyfall), Jason Derulo, Idris Elba (Thor: Ragnarok), Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls), Ian McKellen (The Hobbit), Taylor Swift (The Lorax) and Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect), the film looks to receive no different fate.
However based on the Broadway musicals unprecedented commercial success and longevity we cant rule out a box office smash fueled by pure hatred.
Cats debuts in theaters Dec. 20. Heres what critics have to say about the fantastical spectacle:
Varietys Peter Debruge:
The Kings Speech director Tom Hoopers outlandishly tacky interpretation seems destined to become one of those once-in-a-blue-moon embarrassments that mars the rsums of great actors (poor Idris Elba, already scarred enough as the villainous Macavity) and trips up the careers of promising newcomers (like ballerina Francesca Hayward, whose wide-eyed, mouth-agape Victoria displays one expression for the entire movie). From the first shot of just such a blue moon, distressingly fake, flanked by poufy cat-shaped clouds to the last, Cats hurts the eyes and, yes, the ears, as nearly all the musical numbers, including Memory, have been twisted into campy, awards-grubbing cameos for big-name stars in bad-CG cat drag.
From the moment a teaser trailer hit the web last summer, the studio has been reeling from the ridicule, seemingly blindsided by harsh attacks on the character designs, the visual effects and the very notion of adapting the hit show. Truth be told, it should have anticipated the backlash. None of it would have mattered if the movie were halfway decent. Sadly, this uneven eyesore turns out to be every bit the Jellicle catastrophe the haters anticipated, a half-digested hairball of a movie in which Hooper spends too much energy worrying about whether the technology is ready to accommodate his vision and not enough focusing on what millions love about the musical in the first place.
The Guardians Peter Bradshaw:
As they gaze at the greenscreen and sashay and crawl,Its weird to behold them all gurning and acting,And why do so many resemble Darth Maul?Did director Tom Hooper intend this appearance?Did it make him feel happy or cause him some stress?We have to assume that he gave it his clearanceBut THE MAN HIMSELF KNOWS and will never confess.These are the Jellicle felines of legend,All elbows and shoulders and undulant arms.Each male in the cast looks a bit of a bellend,And those bizarre whiskers dont add to their charms.
Vanity Fairs Richard Lawson:
The real villain here is Hooper, who has conceptualized a movie that claims to honor its performers while smothering them in digital makeup. Why even bother hiring the elastic, fluid dancers if their bodies were going to be rendered so inhuman? Or, rather, so unnaturaltheyre not supposed to be humans, after all. In doing so much to make the world of Cats something approaching credible, Hooper completely fails imagination, ignoring the disbelief happily suspended for decades by the millions of fans of the stage musical. Nothing is accomplished by turning Cats into a garish CGI experiment, and just about everything is lost. The wacky texture of Webbers surreal creation is made too literal, and is thus forsaken. As is the charm of Eliots weird little odes to neighborhood kittiesI much preferred when Mr. Mistoffeleess magic was a joke to explain missing household items instead of actual magic.
Entertainment Weeklys Leah Greenblatt:
The plot, essentially, could be written on a slip of blotter acid: A scampering throng of spandex-y, alley-stalking strays assemble in the late-night streets of London for a sort of tomcat talent show, deciding which among them they will ritually murder sorry, send to the Heaviside layer by dawn.
Voxs Alissa Wilkinson:
Now Ive seen it, and my own brain feels turned to glitter, much like the sequined blue cat ears on a headband I was handed at the press screening. It is ludicrous and kind of divine, furry and flabbergasting, absurd and, in some moments, weirdly touching. It is a film that resists ordinary treatment and, especially, ordinary reviews.
I left without any idea of what I thought, only that I was exhilarated and baffled and kind of impressed, all at once. I had no idea what to say, only observations and questions written in my notebook, many of which conflict with one another. I present them now, with a whisker of editing, for your contemplation.
Slates Marissa Martinelli:
I suspect that Hoopers version of Cats will be met with the same amount of gleeful bafflement as the stage show, if the (overblown) horror over the movies digital fur technology when the trailer was released in October is any indication. Hooper responded to the criticism by dialing back the fur so the characters look more human, and the movie is better off for it, though still a little unsettling. (Just when you think youve reasonably settled into the uncanny valley, Idris Elbas coat comes off and youre sucked even deeper into a void of horny confusion.) The hoopla over the trailer put Hooper in an awkward position, because if Cats is not completely weird, can it rightfully still be called Cats? Its not my favorite musical by a long shot, nor is it even Lloyd Webbers best. But Cats uncoolness, its willingness to be silly and self-serious and spectacular at the expense of taste, is its greatest strength, and Hoopers version understands this.
The New York Times Manohla Dargis:
I could go on and must go on yet how to explain the seemingly unexplainable, beginning with a narrative and language that borders on the gnomic? A doctoral thesis could be written on how this misfire sputtered into existence, though theres nothing new about the movies energetic embrace of bad taste. One problem is that Cats was directed by Tom Hooper, a well-behaved journeyman (The Kings Speech), who is nowhere near vulgar enough for the challenge he was hired for, which is to translate Andrew Lloyd Webbers money-printing musical to the big screen.
IndieWires Eric Kohn:
Hoopers Cats adaptation delivers on those expectations and then some, which makes it a fascinating mess of exuberant musical numbers and scintillating digitized sets. Those human-cat terrors already looked ridiculous slinking about a giant junkyard set in body-suits; who thought that closeups would actually improve the show?
But theres the rub: The argument against Cats also makes the case for its existence, because everything ludicrous about the show has been cranked up to 11, with a restless artificial camera and actors so keen on upstaging one another with excessive song-and-dance numbers they may as well be competing for a Heaviside Layer of their own. It takes some ambitious swings and works on its own terms in fits and starts, all while not really working at all. Like the T.S. Eliot poems that inspired it, Cats is an elaborate lark.
CNNs Brian Lowry:
Ultimately, Cats feels like a conspicuous waste, in what the studio is describing as an epic musical. If the goal was to provide a holiday musical event thats fun for the whole family, its a good idea in theory, packaged in the wrong litter box.
Critics and skeptics of the movie, admittedly, have been waiting to pounce, and the catty remarks wont be charitable. Then again, when you put together a target as ripe as Cats, it stands to reason that people would unleash the hounds.
- UCSD study finds positive health effects of eating lots of avocado - fox5sandiego.com - December 3rd, 2021
- JZZ Technologies, Inc. Acquisition of Company with Five Therapeutics - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- 5:2 Intermittent Fasting Diet and Weight Loss - Healthline - December 3rd, 2021
- NASA Plans to Retire the Space Station in 2030 and Replace it with Commercially Owned Destinations&#... - Universe Today - December 3rd, 2021
- [Herald Interview] Do you have a best friend at the office? Human connection crucial for work efficiency, says behavioral scientist - The Investor - December 3rd, 2021
- Kareem Campbell speaks on his legacy and longevity in skateboarding - Red Bull - December 3rd, 2021
- About Human Development | Human Development Reports - November 28th, 2021
- UCPEA Classification Salary & Longevity Schedule | Human ... - November 28th, 2021
- Science Says December Babies Are The Best Kids Activities Blog - ToysMatrix - November 28th, 2021
- Winter Woes or SAD? - Here's How To Cope - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - November 28th, 2021
- Global AI Medicine Software Market Covering Prime Factors and Competitive Outlook till 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 28th, 2021
- More questions beyond the hype, hysteria, hesitancy and hostility: the greatest human trial ever (and the natural history of mRNA vaccine use) we had... - November 28th, 2021
- Food Anxiety and The Festive Season - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - November 28th, 2021
- San Diego nonprofit gets grant to help seniors living in its affordable housing communities - The San Diego Union-Tribune - November 28th, 2021
- Ways to feel connected this holiday season after months of isolation: Jennifer Moss - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- How Effective Are Anti-Aging Diets? Here's What Science Tells Us - Healthline - November 25th, 2021
- 5 foods that have anti-ageing longevity-promoting properties; boost immunity, reverse ageing and help live long healthy life - Times Now - November 25th, 2021
- "LeBron James is the Michael Jordan of my generation": Lakers teammate Malik Monk heaps praises of the King... - The Sportsrush - November 25th, 2021
- State of Alabama AOC: Human Resources Division - November 23rd, 2021
- How will we make the most of an extra 30 years of life? - MarketWatch - November 23rd, 2021
- New research explores the 'active grandparent hypothesis' and evolution - STAT - November 23rd, 2021
- Reidentifying faces from genomic data more difficult than previously thought - The Source - Washington University in St. Louis - Washington University... - November 23rd, 2021
- The Best and Worst States for Health Care - Route Fifty - November 23rd, 2021
- Are political parties getting in the way of our health? - EurekAlert - November 23rd, 2021
- Clearing the air: Sustainability series tackles Utah pollution - The Signpost - November 23rd, 2021
- Recruiters Are In Hot Demand: Heres Everything You Need To Know About Them - Forbes - November 23rd, 2021
- Sustainable Brand Heading To London Fashion Week With Help Of R&D Tax Credits - Textile World Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- How to increase life span? Researchers find a way - ETHealthworld.com - November 21st, 2021
- Why diversity within your organization matters fundamentally | World Economic Forum - World Economic Forum - November 21st, 2021
- Tom Brady Reveals the Real Reason Behind His Frustration During Press Conference After Washington Humiliation - EssentiallySports - November 21st, 2021
- Guilford County Attorney Mark Payne Retires - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - November 21st, 2021
- Analysis of Human Mortality Data at Extreme Old Age from ... - November 19th, 2021
- Duke Aging Center Center for the Study of Aging and ... - November 19th, 2021
- Chinese Longitudinal Healthy Longevity Survey (CLHLS ... - November 19th, 2021
- Metformin in Longevity Study (MILES). - Full Text View ... - November 19th, 2021
- Plant polyphenols as dietary antioxidants in human health ... - November 19th, 2021
- Researchers caution against associating animal with human fasting blood glucose levels to predict health and longevity - National Institute on Aging - November 19th, 2021
- Predicting Facial Appearance From DNA Is Harder Than First Thought - Technology Networks - November 19th, 2021
- Galpagos giant tortoises often live over 100 years without cancer. The secret to their longevity may be in their genes - ZME Science - November 19th, 2021
- Evan Zimmermann and Jeff Bezos Invest in an Anti - aging Biotech Startup that is Focused on Reversing the Ageing Process - Tech Times - November 19th, 2021
- Are political parties getting in the way of our well-being? - University of Rochester - November 19th, 2021
- Judy Rankin to reduce her TV schedule in 2022 in what will be her last year of broadcasting - GolfDigest.com - November 19th, 2021
- How Can We Support 100-Year Lives? - Forbes - November 19th, 2021
- 'Wheel Of Time': Is It Really The Next 'Game of Thrones'? - UPROXX - November 19th, 2021
- JZZ Technologies, Inc. Joins with GenBio, Inc., Nutrific, and NutraEdge Biosciences Corp. to Create New Bioscience Products Company Focused on... - November 17th, 2021
- Adrenomyeloneuropathy Treatment Market Report Covers Future Trends With Research 2021-2028 Ascend Biopharmaceuticals, Novadip Biosciences, Eureka... - November 17th, 2021
- Day three of Velux's Build for Life conference features talks about designing sustainable buildings that last - Dezeen - November 17th, 2021
- The #1 Anti-Aging Tips Doctors Use Themselves Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - November 17th, 2021
- Solmax acquires Propex to further expand into unique and value-added geosynthetic products and solutions - PRNewswire - November 17th, 2021
- Complete rehabilitation of Palau's Northern Community Health Center leads to improved patient-focused care and strengthened health systems in Palau -... - November 17th, 2021
- Discovery of 17 Genes Implicated in Obesity Could Lead to Breakthrough Treatments - BioSpace - November 17th, 2021
- Introducing Human Powered Health: A Brand at the Intersection of Health, Wellness, and Sports - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- We could radically extend the human lifespan. Heres why we shouldnt - BBC Science Focus Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Animation Series Aims to Educate and Break Down Stigma Surrounding HIV - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- Transplanting kidney of pig to human: Is it really a moonshot moment? - ETHealthworld.com - November 9th, 2021
- Texas A&M Seeks Dogs With Cardiac Condition For Study On Heart Drug - Texas A&M University Today - November 9th, 2021
- Ron Schara marks 1,000th episode of 'Minnesota Bound,' the show that almost wasn't - KARE11.com - November 9th, 2021
- Chhath Puja 2021 Aragh: Sunrise and Sunset time| Everything you need to know - India Today - November 9th, 2021
- Closure, pain and scars: Where Penn State and State College stand 10 years after the Sandusky scandal - The Philadelphia Inquirer - November 9th, 2021
- Thena's Mahd W'yry Illness In Eternals Explained - /Film - November 5th, 2021
- AppSwarm Begins Beta Testing Smart Watch Device for Health - November 5th, 2021
- Solarea Bio Teams up with Hebrew SeniorLife Investigators on a Newly Awarded U.S. National Academy of Medicine Catalyst Grant - Yahoo Finance - November 5th, 2021
- Do we really live longer than our ancestors? - BBC Future - November 5th, 2021
- Changing Hearts And Minds With Vegan Meat - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - November 5th, 2021
- JZZ Technologies, Inc. Expands Technology Leadership with Addition of Michael Wiley as Board Advisor - Stockhouse - November 5th, 2021
- Kuelbs Family Office Invests in Biotech Company Elevian, Supporting $40 Million Funding Round - PR Web - November 5th, 2021
- Humans and Hardware: How Special Operations Can Pioneer Wearable Technology - War on the Rocks - November 5th, 2021
- Therapeutic Frontiers for Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma Expand With CAR T and Bispecific Antibodies - OncLive - November 5th, 2021
- $1 Billion Science Fund to Use Blockchain Projects to Extend Human Lifespan By DailyCoin - Investing.com - October 24th, 2021
- The science that could help you live to 100 - Wired.co.uk - October 24th, 2021
- The Rolling Stones at SoFi Stadium Show Affirmed the Band's Longevity and Legacy - L.A. Weekly - October 24th, 2021
- 100 Ways to Live to 100: A Definitive Guide to Longevity Fitness - InsideHook - October 21st, 2021
- Adding healthy years to your life Borneo Bulletin Online - Borneo Bulletin Online - October 21st, 2021
- Pig kidney successfully hooked up to human patient in watershed experiment - Livescience.com - October 21st, 2021
- Shaun Robinson on longevity and 90 Day Bares All - Yahoo News - October 21st, 2021
- Homology Medicines Announces Presentation of Data Supporting Clinical Programs in MPS II and PKU, including Nonclinical and Patient-Focused Research,... - October 21st, 2021
- Peak Human Announces Launch of the Psychedelic Frontiers Virtual Summit - The Kingston Whig-Standard - October 21st, 2021
- For the First Contemporary Art Show at Egypts Pyramids, JR Transformed the Ancient Wonder Into a Partially Levitating Mass - artnet News - October 21st, 2021
- Centenarian longevity had inverse relationships with nutritional status and abdominal obesity and positive relationships with sex hormones and bone... - October 19th, 2021
- Whats next for the business of longevity? - The New York Times - October 19th, 2021