If you ever thought that living over a 100 years could only be possible only for future generations, you might be mistaken. Technology and AI are advancing rapidly, and with the help of blockchain, longevity achievements might be not far ahead.
The Longevity Science Foundation, based in Switzerland, launched a $1 billion fund over the span of ten years for research and projects to advance human longevity and extend lifespan to 120+ years.
The non-profit organization aims to make longevity medicine available for everyone and will focus on four main research areas: therapeutics, predictive diagnostics, personalised medicine, and artificial intelligence. The foundation plans to fund the development of medical technology, which broadly includes blockchain.
Blockchain in the Medical Industry
Healthcare data is immense and creates challenges in centralization and security. On average, a hospital produces 760 terabytes of data every year. However, 80% of the data lacks structure and is inaccessible to researchers, according to an article by Garri Zmudze from Longevity Science Foundation.
The need for security and reoccurring consent of the data usage prevents progress for medical research. With the help of blockchain and AI, patient consent can be easily obtained, data can be unlocked for analysis, and its usage can be transparent.
Without blockchain, artificial intelligence lacks the ethically sourced and protected biomedical data it needs to find new solutions. Without artificial intelligence, the vast amounts of data protected by blockchain remain secure but unusable for research,the article says.
Blockchain Technology and Longevity Research
VitaDAO is a decentralized collective that funds longevity research. The web3-based organization aspires to create a world where longevity therapeutics are collectively funded, owned and governed by the population that will benefit from them.
VitaDAOs ecosystem has an open structureeveryone who owns VITA tokens can access it. To get the tokens, you need to contribute work, funds, or other resources to VitaDAO. In addition, its collective membership, rather than a CEO or a handful of grant reviewers, will decide by vote how to deploy its funding, manage its IP, and share/publish its data.
The organization already held a token auction on a crypto platform to receive funding for longevity researchers and raised $5.1 million (400% more than expected).
How Can Blockchain Help to Advance Longevity?
According to biochemist and researcher Eleanor Sheekey, there are two main ways in which blockchain can help to advance longevity. The first is through the funding of longevity projects such as through the recently launched VitaDAO. This not only raises significant funding for research projects but also aids in the commercialisation of drugs if they are successful.
The second way is by exploiting some of the features of blockchain technology such as security and storage of data, which is most relevant to the application of personalised or precision medicine whereby patient information such as genetics, blood profile data, microbiome assessments, epigenetic methylation, and sleep data could be transacted and analysed without risk of the patient data getting into the wrong hands and being exploited.
I think it is hard to tell for now what the potential of blockchain in medical research might be, but I don't foresee a future whereby blockchain technology is not a part of medical research,Sheekey told DailyCoin during an email interview.
On The Flipside
Why You Should Care?
Funding longevity projects through blockchain technology might be one of the best ways to be part of the research process. Blockchain adds many benefits to the medical industry, but poses some technical challenges.
Join to get the flipside of crypto
Upgrade your inbox and get our DailyCoin editors picks 1x a week delivered straight to your inbox.
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]You can always unsubscribe with just 1 click.
Continue reading on DailyCoin
- New Potocsnak Longevity Institute Hopes to Lengthen Human ... - January 24th, 2022
- This Simple Eye Test Can Reveal How Long You'll Live Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 24th, 2022
- Living to 100 years old is becoming the new normal - Gainesville Sun - January 24th, 2022
- New contract proposed for part-time sheriff deputies - Evening Observer - January 24th, 2022
- Can your mindset shape your health, happiness and longevity? - I Love Manchester - January 24th, 2022
- Is Cannabis The Secret To Combatting COVID-19? - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - January 24th, 2022
- Altos Labs: A Startup In Silicon Valley Is Betting On Cellular Rejuvenation Programming To Enable 'Longevity' - Swarajya - January 24th, 2022
- New Study Finds a Generational Link Between Smoking and Body Fat - The Swaddle - January 24th, 2022
- MASTER CLASS: Eating out doesn't have to hijack your health - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - January 24th, 2022
- Global Microbiome Therapies Market 2021 Industry Size, Business Opportunities, Future Trends, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2027 Discovery Sports... - January 24th, 2022
- How to live longer: Lesser-known herb shown to reduce cancer and diabetes risk - Daily Express - January 17th, 2022
- This Brain-Focused Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supports Cognitive Function & Longevity* - mindbodygreen.com - January 17th, 2022
- How to improve the longevity of Liver? | Liver Health News - Andhrawishesh - January 17th, 2022
- Why Does Exercise Improve Brain Health as You Age? Scientists Just Unlocked a Major Key To Finding Out - Well+Good - January 17th, 2022
- Nature Is Sexist. Can Advances In Longevity Biotechnology Help Restore Reproductive Equality? - Forbes - January 17th, 2022
- TRI-COUNTY COMMUNITY CORRECTIONS BOARD HOLDS FIRST MEETING OF 2022 - kroxam.com - January 17th, 2022
- The Ancient of Days The Edgefield Advertiser - Edgefieldadvertiser - January 17th, 2022
- Launch a new you with the new year; foods that fight cancer The McPherson Sentinel - McPherson Sentinel - January 17th, 2022
- Wait, Who Are the Eternals? - Vulture - January 17th, 2022
- Fans React to Rita Wilso Joining the 'Yellowstone' Prequel '1883' - Country Living - January 17th, 2022
- Gameto Nets $20M on Path to Redefining Reproductive Longevity - BioSpace - January 14th, 2022
- The Smart Way of Choosing a Health Insurance Plan Amid Rise in COVID cases in India: Expert - Zee Business - January 14th, 2022
- LifeBank Chain Brings Ultimate Gene and Cell Therapy Benefits to Everyone - GlobeNewswire - January 14th, 2022
- The Longest-Living Animal in the World - 24/7 Wall St. - January 14th, 2022
- New CEO and CTO appointed at Rejuve - Information Age - January 14th, 2022
- Is it possible to reverse ageing? - The Star Online - January 14th, 2022
- BT Young Scientist: A year after Young Scientist win, Greg Tarr (18) runs firm, employs his dad and has a million in the bank - Independent.ie - January 14th, 2022
- The Complete History of the Celestials, the Deviants, and the Eternals - Marvel Entertainment - January 14th, 2022
- Art We Saw This Winter - The New York Times - January 14th, 2022
- Seeking the 'Fountain of Youth' - BSA bureau - January 7th, 2022
- Of Bricks and Mortar | | news-journal.com - Longview News-Journal - January 7th, 2022
- Of Bricks and Mortar | | kilgorenewsherald.com - Kilgore News Herald - January 7th, 2022
- Immortality is showing life as a concept but also in the lab - AMEinfo - January 7th, 2022
- At CES 2022, metaverses metaversed the metaverse - TechCrunch - January 7th, 2022
- Pondering the significant truths of bricks and mortar - Kilgore News Herald - January 7th, 2022
- The Apprentice review: Alan Sugars groaning factory of capitalist delusion will outlive us all - Yahoo News - January 7th, 2022
- Charity urges government to publish eating disorders waiting lists - newsconcerns - January 7th, 2022
- San Diego Business Journal Honors Neurohacker Collective Among Top Startups - PRNewswire - January 7th, 2022
- One Good Turn Deserves Another | Audubon - National Audubon Society - January 7th, 2022
- Life Biosciences, Leading Developer of Therapeutics for Aging-Related Diseases, Completes $82 Million Series C Financing Round - BioSpace - January 7th, 2022
- Business of the Week: Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin - wausaupilotandreview.com - January 7th, 2022
- LifeBank Chain Announces Upcoming Gene and Cell Collaboration Platform With Disrupt Blockchain Technologies - Yahoo Finance - January 3rd, 2022
- Prediction For 2022: Plant-Based Foods Will Surge - CleanTechnica - January 3rd, 2022
- The Secrets to Successful Aging in 2022 - The New York Times - January 3rd, 2022
- 10 amazing health stories you may have missed in 2021 - Livescience.com - January 3rd, 2022
- 'Happy to be here': Wayne mayor, a cancer survivor, sworn in to fourth term - NorthJersey.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Genomic Biomarker Market Overview by Industry Dynamics, Regional Analysis and Forecast 2021 to 2026 Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 3rd, 2022
- People Magazines Premature Cover Toasts Betty Whites 100th Birthday - The New York Times - January 3rd, 2022
- Looking forward: Locals offer their thoughts on the top issues facing our communities in 2022 - Glenwood Springs Post Independent - January 3rd, 2022
- How tote bag obsession took over the world - Vox.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Top 5 Least Useful Horological Complications: And Why They Are Still Awesome - Reprise - Quill & Pad - January 3rd, 2022
- Is Human Life Extension Possible? - Longevity Advice - December 29th, 2021
- Longevity Pay - UNC Human Resources - December 29th, 2021
- How to Turn Back the Clock on Aging, Say Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 29th, 2021
- A wish for hope and good health in the coming year - Virgin Islands Daily News - December 29th, 2021
- 13 longevity startups to watch, according to top investors - Sifted - December 29th, 2021
- SeaWorld and Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute Continue Five Decades of Advancing Marine Conservation with Critical New Research, Continued... - December 29th, 2021
- Scientists should be allowed to cure ageing - The National - December 29th, 2021
- Baseball Hall of Fame ballot: How Todd Helton is deservedly making his way toward Cooperstown - CBS Sports - December 29th, 2021
- How to Rest and Recharge Your Team for Success in 2022 - Inc. - December 29th, 2021
- Pandemic strife put Michigan health departments on life support. Can it heal while COVID surges? - MLive.com - December 29th, 2021
- 20 Toy Dog Breeds That Prove Big Things Come in Small Packages - PureWow - December 29th, 2021
- Knowledge, society and artificial intelligence in the media - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE - December 29th, 2021
- Where are all the beavers on Arizona's San Pedro River? Volunteers go looking for them - The Arizona Republic - December 29th, 2021
- A new wave of furniture design stars on finding their home in Detroit - Concentrate - December 29th, 2021
- U.S. vs. China Rivalry Boosts Techand Tensions - IEEE Spectrum - December 29th, 2021
- Human longevity: Genetics or Lifestyle? It takes two to tango - December 19th, 2021
- 5 Wellness Trends That Are Only Set to Grow in 2022 - Vogue - December 19th, 2021
- Why Reading Should Be A Priority This Holiday Season - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - December 19th, 2021
- This Powerful Ingredient Gives Multivitamins A Big Boost Here's How - mindbodygreen.com - December 19th, 2021
- How long do you really want to live? - The Donaldson Sisters - The Donaldson Sisters - December 19th, 2021
- Psychologist Offers Advice On Addiction This Vacation - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - December 19th, 2021
- The Rise and Fall of T. J. Cloutier - HighstakesDB - December 19th, 2021
- 70 million years on earth, 40 years of decline: the endangered eel - Japan Today - December 19th, 2021
- Preview: Get primed for a return to The Matrix - Boise State University The Arbiter Online - December 19th, 2021
- UCSD study finds positive health effects of eating lots of avocado - fox5sandiego.com - December 3rd, 2021
- JZZ Technologies, Inc. Acquisition of Company with Five Therapeutics - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- 5:2 Intermittent Fasting Diet and Weight Loss - Healthline - December 3rd, 2021
- NASA Plans to Retire the Space Station in 2030 and Replace it with Commercially Owned Destinations&#... - Universe Today - December 3rd, 2021
- [Herald Interview] Do you have a best friend at the office? Human connection crucial for work efficiency, says behavioral scientist - The Investor - December 3rd, 2021