If you ever thought that living over a 100 years could only be possible only for future generations, you might be mistaken. Technology and AI are advancing rapidly, and with the help of blockchain, longevity achievements might be not far ahead.
The Longevity Science Foundation, based in Switzerland, launched a $1 billion fund over the span of ten years for research and projects to advance human longevity and extend lifespan to 120+ years.
The non-profit organization aims to make longevity medicine available for everyone and will focus on four main research areas: therapeutics, predictive diagnostics, personalised medicine, and artificial intelligence. The foundation plans to fund the development of medical technology, which broadly includes blockchain.
Blockchain in the Medical Industry
Healthcare data is immense and creates challenges in centralization and security. On average, a hospital produces 760 terabytes of data every year. However, 80% of the data lacks structure and is inaccessible to researchers, according to an article by Garri Zmudze from Longevity Science Foundation.
The need for security and reoccurring consent of the data usage prevents progress for medical research. With the help of blockchain and AI, patient consent can be easily obtained, data can be unlocked for analysis, and its usage can be transparent.
Without blockchain, artificial intelligence lacks the ethically sourced and protected biomedical data it needs to find new solutions. Without artificial intelligence, the vast amounts of data protected by blockchain remain secure but unusable for research,the article says.
Blockchain Technology and Longevity Research
VitaDAO is a decentralized collective that funds longevity research. The web3-based organization aspires to create a world where longevity therapeutics are collectively funded, owned and governed by the population that will benefit from them.
VitaDAOs ecosystem has an open structureeveryone who owns VITA tokens can access it. To get the tokens, you need to contribute work, funds, or other resources to VitaDAO. In addition, its collective membership, rather than a CEO or a handful of grant reviewers, will decide by vote how to deploy its funding, manage its IP, and share/publish its data.
The organization already held a token auction on a crypto platform to receive funding for longevity researchers and raised $5.1 million (400% more than expected).
How Can Blockchain Help to Advance Longevity?
According to biochemist and researcher Eleanor Sheekey, there are two main ways in which blockchain can help to advance longevity. The first is through the funding of longevity projects such as through the recently launched VitaDAO. This not only raises significant funding for research projects but also aids in the commercialisation of drugs if they are successful.
The second way is by exploiting some of the features of blockchain technology such as security and storage of data, which is most relevant to the application of personalised or precision medicine whereby patient information such as genetics, blood profile data, microbiome assessments, epigenetic methylation, and sleep data could be transacted and analysed without risk of the patient data getting into the wrong hands and being exploited.
I think it is hard to tell for now what the potential of blockchain in medical research might be, but I don't foresee a future whereby blockchain technology is not a part of medical research,Sheekey told DailyCoin during an email interview.
On The Flipside
Why You Should Care?
Funding longevity projects through blockchain technology might be one of the best ways to be part of the research process. Blockchain adds many benefits to the medical industry, but poses some technical challenges.
Join to get the flipside of crypto
Upgrade your inbox and get our DailyCoin editors picks 1x a week delivered straight to your inbox.
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]You can always unsubscribe with just 1 click.
Continue reading on DailyCoin
- Proven Levels of Human Longevity | NextBigFuture.com - September 11th, 2022
- Prolonging healthspan by delaying ageing -- NUHS opens Singapore's first Centre for Healthy Longevity to increase healthy lifespan of Singapore... - September 11th, 2022
- What is the Secret to Longevity in Real Estate? - CandysDirt.com - Candy's Dirt - September 11th, 2022
- Jeff Stukey & Jay Olshansky, Ph.D with Wealthspan Advisors, Interviewed on the Influential Entrepreneurs Podcast Discussing How Aging Science... - September 11th, 2022
- The Queen of the World - The Atlantic - September 11th, 2022
- THR Icon: At 100, Norman Lear Looks Back (And Ahead) at Whats Changed Since the Maude Abortion Episode - Hollywood Reporter - September 11th, 2022
- TIFF 2022: The Colour of Ink Review - ThatShelf.com - September 11th, 2022
- Should Age Be on the Ballot? - Next Avenue - September 11th, 2022
- Was The Spring Water At Balmoral Castle The Secret To Elizabeth II's Longevity? - Nation World News - September 11th, 2022
- A complete guide to the health benefits of nuts europeantimes.news - The European Times - September 11th, 2022
- Debut Launches its Bio2Consumer Platform to Become the Leader in Vertically Integrated Synthetic Biology - PR Web - September 11th, 2022
- Rapamycin Drug Used in Cancer Therapy Found to Increase Human Lifespan [Study] - Nature World News - August 30th, 2022
- Eating Healthy: Why Eating Grapes Would Increase Lifespan | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News Guardian Life The Guardian Nigeria... - August 30th, 2022
- Beauty Bets on Longevity WWD - WWD - August 30th, 2022
- Analysis of the impact of success on three dimensions of sustainability in 173 countries | Scientific Reports - Nature.com - August 30th, 2022
- You might have glowing skin in no time by making few easy changes to your skincare routine - TDPel Media - August 30th, 2022
- Nucleai Appoints New Head of Pathology to Support Expansion in Biopharmaceutical and Clinical Markets - Business Wire - August 8th, 2022
- Daily AI Roundup: Biggest Machine Learning, Robotic And Automation Updates - AiThority - August 8th, 2022
- Prolonged and intense heatwave affecting parts of western and northern Europe breaks temperature records; globally, July 2022 was one of three warmest... - August 8th, 2022
- YLEM: Augmenting sustainable futures through material exploration and testing - STIRworld - August 8th, 2022
- Do you want to live forever? Big Tech and the quest for eternal youth - The New Statesman - August 6th, 2022
- This startup wants to copy you into an embryo for organ harvesting - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2022
- Renewal Bio Acquires Breakthrough Stem Cell Technology With Applications in Infertility and Longevity - Benzinga - August 6th, 2022
- Get married or get a degree to live longer says study, debunking theories of womens longevity over men - Times Now - August 6th, 2022
- Nucleai Appoints New Head of Pathology to Support Expansion in Biopharmaceutical and Clinical Markets - StreetInsider.com - August 6th, 2022
- Some species are immortal but dying of old age is humanity's secret weapon - The Telegraph - August 6th, 2022
- Opinion: Changing When and How Much We Eat May Extend Health Span - The Scientist - August 6th, 2022
- Vieroots uses genome testing to win over a growing tribe of wellness enthusiasts - YourStory - August 6th, 2022
- Herbs radiate and give you youthful skin - The Hans India - August 6th, 2022
- How Pop Culture, Politics, Science, and Business Got So Old - The Atlantic - August 6th, 2022
- John Hood: How to read this column | Columnists | journalnow.com - Winston-Salem Journal - August 6th, 2022
- How Long Is The Human Lifespan? Here's What Studies Have Found | mindbodygreen - mindbodygreen - July 31st, 2022
- Employees are livingand workinglonger. CEOs are introducing initiatives like phased retirements to harness the longevity economy - Fortune - July 31st, 2022
- Why Do We Get Old, and Can Aging Be Reversed? - Quanta Magazine - July 31st, 2022
- The Secret to Longevity? Here Are 7 Health Tech Gadgets That Can Help - The Recursive - July 31st, 2022
- Four Fitness Facts to Fuel Your Workout - The New York Times - July 31st, 2022
- Chris Reed: Has the Fountain of Youth been found just west of Interstate 5? - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 31st, 2022
- Exercising more than recommended could prolong your life: study - The Hill - July 31st, 2022
- Take these 10 steps to live a longer life from delaying breakfast to list-making... - The US Sun - July 31st, 2022
- Precision Medicine Software Market Size, Scope, Growth Opportunities, Trends by Manufacturers And Forecast ... - This Is Ardee - July 31st, 2022
- Propelling Airmen to a higher level of readiness - keesler.af.mil - July 31st, 2022
- Bear Grylls Says He's Anti-Vegetable. Here's What Science Says - The Beet - July 31st, 2022
- Beyond the Elon Musk hook-up scandal - Meet the real Nicole Shanahan - The 33 year old is a tech whiz and a lawyer who had very humble beginnings and... - July 31st, 2022
- What's behind the Vatican chief diplomat's change of tune? - The Pillar - July 31st, 2022
- Can dogs eat raw meat? The risks and rewards of putting your pup on a raw food diet. - USA TODAY - July 31st, 2022
- 70+ leaders in aging and longevity to present at the 9th ARDD Conference - EurekAlert - July 19th, 2022
- Secrets of Longevity Revealed: Scientists Find Species That Essentially Do Not Age - SciTechDaily - July 19th, 2022
- Targeting Microbiota 2022, 9th World Congress, will be held in Sorbonne University, Paris, France, this October - EurekAlert - July 19th, 2022
- Why is exercise important, according to the science? - Livescience.com - July 19th, 2022
- Men's Loss of Y Chromosome and Heart Disease Risk - Healthline - July 19th, 2022
- Opinion | The end of the internal combustion engine era is in sight - Hamilton Spectator - July 19th, 2022
- Animation Increasingly Part of Successful T&D Strategies - ATD - July 19th, 2022
- UK Scientists Call For Naming of Heatwaves To Save Lives - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - July 19th, 2022
- The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Cast Discuss Their Style Inspiration: 'To Each Their Own' - Yahoo Entertainment - July 19th, 2022
- Laivly adds AI, ML and automation to improve CX - VentureBeat - July 19th, 2022
- Voyager 1 and 2 Spacecraft Enter Final Phase of Their Mission | Planetary News - Planetary News - July 19th, 2022
- European Bison Reintroduced To Roam Freely In Britain - Barron's - July 19th, 2022
- Klotho Protein for Longevity - Delay Dementia, Kidney Disease & Cancer - June 29th, 2022
- The slow ageing of tortoises could unlock secrets to human longevity, says study - HeraldScotland - June 29th, 2022
- Longevity Investors Conference to be held in Gstaad, Switzerland Sept. 2830 - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2022
- The Rejuvenation Startup Summit Speakers - Lifespan.io News - June 29th, 2022
- Your immunity has a life span - The New Indian Express - June 29th, 2022
- PGA urges to protect the ocean, ensure its health and longevity - Raajjemv - June 29th, 2022
- Big Tech Dives into Healthcare With Google Parent Alphabet at the Forefront - The Quint - June 29th, 2022
- The Impact of Funding on Longevity Research - Technology Networks - June 3rd, 2022
- Ian David Hickson to present at the 9th Aging Research & Drug Discovery Meeting 2022 - EurekAlert - June 3rd, 2022
- The 'Benjamin Button' effect: Scientists can reverse aging in mice; the goal is to do the same for humans - WDJT - June 3rd, 2022
- Want to live a long, healthy life? Eat more nuts, whole grains, and legumes and less red meat | Health24 - News24 - June 3rd, 2022
- Struggling With Anxiety? Here's How To Manage It - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - June 3rd, 2022
- Life beyond 120: Doctors weigh in on leading healthier, longer lives - The Peak Singapore - June 3rd, 2022
- The Link Between Our Emotions And Mental Health - Thrive Global - June 3rd, 2022
- Global Paints and Coatings Market Report 2022: Profiles of Key Players The Dow Chemical Company, Troy Corporation, BASF, Thor Group and AkzoNobel -... - June 3rd, 2022
- Five Wellness tools that can help vulnerable individuals cope with stress. - Longevity LIVE - June 3rd, 2022
- Workspace interior decor tips: Spatial changes that can aid human interaction - Hindustan Times - June 3rd, 2022
- 5 Breakfast Habits to Live Like the World's Oldest People Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - May 25th, 2022
- Insecticide resistant Anopheles gambiae have enhanced longevity but reduced reproductive fitness and a longer first gonotrophic cycle | Scientific... - May 25th, 2022
- There may be a way to stop or delay aging. But science is divided - ThePrint - May 25th, 2022
- Why the Cumulina Mouse Is Headed to the Smithsonian | At the Smithsonian - Smithsonian Magazine - May 25th, 2022
- Why Seventh-day Adventists are so often vegan or vegetarian - The Conversation Indonesia - May 25th, 2022
- Focusing on the journey - Newnan Times-Herald - May 25th, 2022