Cleveland It was in a cellar that I found my roots. Davina Shuman, a relative I never met, graciously gave me a glimpse of the family I never knew I had.
The Levys were a conservative, Jewish family from Cleveland. Their patriarch, Harry Levy, is my great-grandfather. In the spring of 1930, one of his four daughters we don't know which gave birth, out of wedlock, to my mother. Davina, one of Harry's legitimate grandchildren, says no one ever knew about this baby.
"It would be scandalous, really, in those days, for this family," Davina said.
My mom died knowing none of this. She was raised by another couple. There was no formal adoption or paper trail. So if not for DNA testing, my ancestry would have remained a secret. My results revealed two relatives, leading me to some new discoveries.
A recent survey showed about a quarter of the people who take these tests find some kind of surprising result. Or in my case, two surprising results. The test was more definitive regarding my grandfather. He was an Irish Catholic railroad worker named Frank Black.
His other daughter, Carol, is my new aunt. My uncle is also named Frank Black. Together, they told me all I needed to know about my grandpa. Frank said he had five wives. Carol said he was a drinker. Not exactly the astronaut or war hero I was hoping to find.
"We were the apples that fell off the tree and rolled away," Carol said.
It certainly does make you question who you are. I grew up an Eagle Scout who went to Catholic school. Now I find my grandpa was Casanova, and the Levys were Jewish.
"If your mother is Jewish, you are Jewish, no question," Davina said.
But my new relatives all told me none of that matters.
"I just want you to come for Thanksgiving," Davina said.
Look deep enough into your past and odds are you'll find a family tree full of flowers and broken branches and a lot of leaves you don't recognize. But I think it's important to embrace it all because whatever is there, it's exactly what your tree needed to grow the perfect you.
To contactOn the Road, or to send us a story idea, email us:OnTheRoad@cbsnews.com.
Read the original post:
How a DNA test revealed the family I never knew - CBS News
- Zoo studies show vacuuming DNA from air could help track endangered species - NPR - January 9th, 2022
- New way to alter DNA, affect health circumvents gut bacteria - University of Wisconsin-Madison - January 9th, 2022
- Structural insights into inhibitor regulation of the DNA repair protein DNA-PKcs - Nature.com - January 9th, 2022
- DNA breakthroughs give new hope to daughter of missing mom - WOODTV.com - January 9th, 2022
- Pfizer's Codex DNA Deal Hints At Lucrative Pivot To mRNA - Keep An Eye On This Space - Seeking Alpha - January 9th, 2022
- DNA: Abu Dhabi's new board game cafe with more than 200 options to play - The National - January 9th, 2022
- I think the Times Square Killer who dismembered my mom is my FATHER and I want a DNA test... - The US Sun - January 9th, 2022
- Global spread of autoimmune disease blamed on western diet - The Guardian - January 9th, 2022
- How Your DNA Test Could Send a Relative to Jail - The New York Times - December 29th, 2021
- New exhibit to feature matches discovered through DNA testing - Reston Now - December 29th, 2021
- Cuyahoga County prosecutors genealogical DNA unit IDs three more men accused of raping women in the 1990s - cleveland.com - December 29th, 2021
- DNA evidence processed in Amory homicide investigation | News | djournal.com - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - December 29th, 2021
- Environmental DNA reveals the secrets of a California creek and beyond - The Mercury News - December 29th, 2021
- Genomic sequencing: Heres how researchers identify Omicron and other COVID-19 variants - North Carolina Health News - December 29th, 2021
- Global DTC DNA Test Kits Industry Forecast to 2026 - Increasing Number of Hereditary Diseases, Increasing - Benzinga - December 29th, 2021
- Find Answers in Your DNA (Sponsored) - WebMD - December 23rd, 2021
- There are thousands of unidentified remains. Meet the volunteer organization trying to identify them - 12news.com KPNX - December 23rd, 2021
- Woolly mammoths and humans coexisted in North America much longer than experts thought - Livescience.com - December 23rd, 2021
- Gift Someone The Ability to Unlock Their DNA This Holiday With InsideTracker - Men's Journal - December 23rd, 2021
- DNA Special: COVID-19 changed everything but politics - DNA India - December 23rd, 2021
- Burglar left DNA on porthole window he was filmed peering through - Liverpool Echo - December 23rd, 2021
- JonBent Ramsey: DNA testing could be used to solve case, police say - The Guardian - December 22nd, 2021
- Global In Situ Hybridization Market Segment Forecasts 2021-2028: DNA Probes Segment Forecast to Maintain Dominance Due to Increasing DNA-based Studies... - December 22nd, 2021
- Mechanical forces in a beating heart affect its cells' DNA, with implications for development and disease - The Conversation AU - December 22nd, 2021
- Simpsonville woman accused of homicide by child abuse has been ordered to submit DNA - Greenville News - December 22nd, 2021
- Pa. AG continues to oppose DNA testing that man claims will clear him of 1986 murder - PennLive - December 22nd, 2021
- NEARBY: DNA Used To ID Woman Years After Death, Detectives Seek Tips - LevittownNow.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Winning culture in his DNA Hugo Lloris on what Conte can bring to Spurs - The Spurs Web - December 22nd, 2021
- Should the Police Have the Power to Link DNA With Appearance and Ancestry? - Interesting Engineering - December 19th, 2021
- You Need to See this stock? Ginkgo Bioworks Holdings, (DNA) - The Union Journal - December 19th, 2021
- Snapchat chatter, DNA led to arrest in shooting death of Hitchcock teen - Galveston County Daily News - December 19th, 2021
- A DNA test revealed my colleague was my brother he kept saying he knew me from somewhere but I shrugged i... - The Sun - December 19th, 2021
- We Think Skyline Champion (NYSE:SKY) Might Have The DNA Of A Multi-Bagger - Simply Wall St - December 19th, 2021
- DNA Is Safe To Eat. RNA Isnt Bad Either. - Forbes - December 17th, 2021
- Remains found in garbage bag in 1982 identified as former O'Jays member, thanks to DNA from brother in Atlanta - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 17th, 2021
- Call to restrict sharing of genomics data over fears of DNA-targeted weapons - Science Business - December 17th, 2021
- Frank Reich: DNA is were going to run the football - Fox 59 - December 17th, 2021
- Journal Retracts Paper Based on Uyghur DNA - The Intercept - December 15th, 2021
- Applied DNA and Stratum Reservoir (Isotech) Sign Memorandum of Understanding to Leverage Isotopic Analysis for Enhanced DNA-Based Cotton Authenticity... - December 15th, 2021
- Does Texans Rookie QB Davis Mills Have 'Tom Brady DNA'? - State of The Texans - December 15th, 2021
- Twinsburg remains found 40 years ago identified as member of The O'Jays R&B band - Akron Beacon Journal - December 15th, 2021
- Australias police linking DNA with ancestry could be a privacy nightmare - The Next Web - December 15th, 2021
- DNA recovered in 2017 from attempted rape matched to South Kitsap man repeatedly accused of sexual assaults - Kitsap Sun - December 15th, 2021
- Halo Infinites creators say your wildest stunts are part of the series DNA - The Verge - December 15th, 2021
- Supermassive black hole caught blasting out jet shaped similar to DNA - TweakTown - December 15th, 2021
- Man convicted of raping two lifeguards appeals to Va. Supreme Court over DNA collected from drinking straws - WTOP - December 10th, 2021
- Autopsy, DNA testing outlined in second day of Benfield trial - Johnson City Press (subscription) - December 10th, 2021
- How DNA Solved One of the Final Mysteries of Pearl Harbor - POLITICO - December 10th, 2021
- DNA on seashell points to family member as murder suspect in New Bedford cold case - SouthCoastToday.com - December 10th, 2021
- Scientists located the rockfishs genetic fountain of youth - SYFY WIRE - November 28th, 2021
- This mysterious ancient civilizations DNA was not what we thought it was - SYFY WIRE - November 28th, 2021
- Eagles Will Default to Their DNA to Deal with Giants OC Change - Sports Illustrated - November 28th, 2021
- The adidas Ultra Boost 5.0 DNA Kicks Off December In Black, Blue, And Red - Sneaker News - November 28th, 2021
- DNA led to arrest of man for Sydney rapes - Northern Beaches Review - November 28th, 2021
- Kaparo fights wife's bid for DNA test on their four children - The Standard - November 28th, 2021
- 'Joseph never just disappeared': St. Louis family reacts to identification of loved one's remains after 4 years - KSDK.com - November 28th, 2021
- I took a DNA test and found a new family: the drama and joy of meeting long-lost relatives - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2021
- Adoption row | All you need to know about DNA test - Onmanorama - November 23rd, 2021
- Cliffs figures it out together on new album 'DNA' - Columbus Alive - November 23rd, 2021
- A British journalist who wrote that Meghan Markle had 'exotic DNA' in 2016 says she would be 'canceled' if she wrote the same article today - Yahoo... - November 23rd, 2021
- Vipergen Establishes Research Partnership with Aligos Therapeutics Focused on DNA Encoded Library (DEL)-Based Drug Discovery for Viral Infections and... - November 23rd, 2021
- Georgia football: Dawgs have found the secret sauce in championship DNA - Saturday Down South - November 23rd, 2021
- Codex DNA and RNAimmune Announce Collaboration to Optimize Development of Future mRNA Synthesis and Delivery Kits - Yahoo Finance - November 23rd, 2021
- DNA: Top News of the Day | November 23, 2021 - DNA India - November 23rd, 2021
- Government: No international accreditation for DNA testing lab | Loop Trinidad & Tobago - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - November 23rd, 2021
- Stress is a health hazard. But a supportive circle of friends can help undo the damaging effects on your DNA - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- DNA breakthrough: New hope in 1980 murder of 6-year-old Alicia O'Reilly - New Zealand Herald - November 23rd, 2021
- Meyer, Isaac: Is Information in DNA Abstract? - Discovery Institute - November 19th, 2021
- Science solved this. Sheriff says DNA led to arrest in 88-year-old Lennon womans cold case murder - mlive.com - November 19th, 2021
- How Authorities Managed to ID Tiger Lady' Found in NJ as Pa. Teen After 30 Years - NBC New York - November 19th, 2021
- DNA: Top News of the Day | November 19, 2021 - DNA India - November 19th, 2021
- Tony Spring on Bloomingdale's DNA and the Holiday Outlook - WWD - November 19th, 2021
- Alanis Morissette, All Too Well, and the DNA of the Eff-You Anthem - The Ringer - November 19th, 2021
- Thomas Clark trial: Expert witnesses tie rape and murder suspects DNA and cell phone to crime scene - 8News - November 19th, 2021
- Why is there no EV love for Ford and GM? Cathie Wood says 'they don't have the DNA for this brave new world' of electric cars - MarketWatch - November 19th, 2021
- Cisco : The Business Why's of migration to Cisco DNA Center - marketscreener.com - November 17th, 2021
- DNA Lounge - November 17th, 2021
- Neutron Crystallography Takes a Deep Dive Into Water Networks Surrounding DNA - SciTechDaily - November 17th, 2021
- ICMP issued its first DNA match report on this day 20 years ago Sarajevo Times - Sarajevo Times - November 17th, 2021
- AncestryDNA vs. 23andMe: Which DNA Kit Delivers the Best Genetic Information? - PCMag.com - November 17th, 2021