Trigger warnings have been built into a new device developed for classrooms and social gatherings that sounds an alarm when it detects offensive language and jokes.
The lamp-sized gadget is an attempt to manifest political correctness as an ideology into a product, developers have said, and it is being trialled for potential use as a tool to moderate debate in settings like UK schools and universities.
Branded the Themis, the device is intended to be placed amid a debate setting and to emit a warning when it is triggered by the sound of banned language, racial terms and comments about body image.
Dinner parties and family gatherings could be also policed by the product, its designer has said, as the device could speak up for those at the table offended by certain topics of conversation and encourage self-critique in others.
Zinah Issa, who unveiled the product at Dubai Design Week, told The Telegraph: Through the use of speech recognition and sound sensors, we were able to program Themis to detect offensive terms and sentences - racial slurs, offensive jokes - through the microphone.
She added that extremely bothersome alarms triggered by such language last approximately two minutes, after which Themis turns off, allowing then an open understanding discussion among people on the possible trigger matter and the potential reasons behind Themis's activation.
Research is ongoing to see what terminology buyers would wish to have trigger the alarm on the Themis, which shares its name with a Greek goddess of justice and social order.
Research is also being conducted to assess the best market for the device, with an aim to explore its application in educational settings like universities, which faced calls for lecturers to issue trigger warnings ahead of teaching potentially offensive material.
Ms Issa, based in the UAE, said: Themis was designed to be placed in intimate social settings, such as dinner parties or family gatherings, because based on our research people are less likely to speak up when they get offended, unlike settings where people could be held accountable.
However, after exhibiting in GGS (Global Grad Show at Dubai Design Week) a lot of people were interested in having it in workspaces and even classrooms, so this is something that we want to develop Themis around.
Well plan on sending out more surveys to further understand Themiss target market and the audience it could reach and potentially testing it out within educational and work settings such as universities, schools and offices.
Remarks deemed offensive in educational settings have been a course of increasing controversy, with Prof Kathleen Stock recently subjected to a campaign calling for her sacking from Sussex University over her comments on gender.
Designers of the Themis are hoping to market the market product alongside hundreds of inventions and innovations unveiled at the annual Dubai Design Week, at which more than 500 companies have exhibited new work.
See the rest here:
- The growing attacks on cops and other commentary - New York Post - May 11th, 2022
- 30 Helens Agree Amazons Kids in the Hall Revival Is Hilarious: Review - Consequence - May 11th, 2022
- Parents are 'sleeping giants' who will fix American education - Fox News - May 11th, 2022
- Abortions and the pendulum - Kathimerini English Edition - May 11th, 2022
- Labour may think its moving on, but working-class voters arent following - The Guardian - May 11th, 2022
- Grace Hyland says she 'hates' being politicised as the transgender community is 'the antithesis of a political issue' - 9Honey - May 11th, 2022
- The Cathedral Vs. The Orthodox Church - The American Conservative - May 11th, 2022
- Chadar At Ajmer Sharif And Praises On Prithviraj Chauhan Cannot Go Hand-In-Hand; Chishti Blessed Ghori To Defeat Prithviraj, As Per His Biography -... - May 11th, 2022
- The Name "Indian" and Political Correctness | HuffPost ... - May 3rd, 2022
- PCU (film) - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2022
- Reading between the lines of "1984" in 2022 | Opinion | morgancountycitizen.com - Morgan County Citizen - May 3rd, 2022
- Why 2022 is the worst year for anniversaries - TheArticle - May 3rd, 2022
- ITV DI Ray fans left divided about show but all in agreement on one thing - Birmingham Live - May 3rd, 2022
- Republicans making critical gains among Hispanic and non-White voters ahead of 2022 election - Washington Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Bell: Kenney government wants hands off old John A. - Calgary Sun - May 3rd, 2022
- Parapsychologists, sects and secret services: Remembering the most tense chess game in history - EL PAS in English - May 3rd, 2022
- Austin Powers: 10 things you didn't know about the landmark '90s comedy - Tilt Magazine - May 3rd, 2022
- Kerr: GOP's 'stokeism' is replacing substance with the surreal - Seacoastonline.com - May 3rd, 2022
- POTUS Broadway Review: The President Cant Be Held Responsible for This Mess - Yahoo Entertainment - May 3rd, 2022
- Letter To The Editor: A Response to the OpEd 3/21 The Reed College Quest - The Reed College Quest - April 15th, 2022
- Bill Maher's #Adulting and Comedians' Obsession With Haters - TIME - April 15th, 2022
- Replacing Human Rights Act will weaken protections, say peers and MPs - The Guardian - April 15th, 2022
- Elon Musk, Twitter, and the Politics of Disruption - The Bulwark - April 15th, 2022
- Slave Coin Or Freedom Coin: Which Way Western Man? - Bitcoin Magazine - April 15th, 2022
- Another Trump hate rally: The threats get worse, and polite America turns away - Salon - April 15th, 2022
- Comedy Is More Dangerous Because Of Will Smith: DL Hughley Weighs In On The Consequences Of The Slap (Video) - Radio Facts - April 15th, 2022
- Oingo Boingo little Girls Song Controversy, Meaning Of Little Girls And Still The Creepiest Music Video Of All Time? - The Current - April 15th, 2022
- Seth McFarlane's 'Ted' Series Announces Its Main Cast - We Got This Covered - April 15th, 2022
- The abortion culture and atrocity in Ukraine - The Christian Post - April 15th, 2022
- No, Russian artists have not been cancelled - The Indian Express - April 15th, 2022
- S N Balagangadhara Interview Part IV: There Is Intellectual Poverty In Islamised Regions; India May Be Headed The Same Way If It Does Not Watch Out. -... - April 15th, 2022
- The Problem with Political Correctness Life Lessons - April 9th, 2022
- Has political correctness gone too far? | The Economist - April 9th, 2022
- 'Politically Correct': The Phrase Has Gone From Wisdom To ... - April 9th, 2022
- Political Correctness Run Amok - The Post & Email - April 9th, 2022
- Is Real Time with Bill Maher new tonight, April 8? - Last Night On - April 9th, 2022
- The futility of framing one another as progressives and evangelicals, devils and dummies - Baptist News Global - April 9th, 2022
- "The Real World of College: What Higher Education Is and What It Can Be" - Public Radio Tulsa - April 9th, 2022
- Oreos Gone Woke: Is Nothing Off Limits to LGBT Left? - Daily Signal - April 9th, 2022
- Political Correctness - Munk Debates - April 6th, 2022
- Today's letters: Readers comment on the one-party system and school lunches - Daily Commercial - April 6th, 2022
- The Oral History of PCU, the Culture Wars Cult Classic - VICE - April 6th, 2022
- So-Called Cancel Culture Is a Vacant Concept, So It Can Be Turned Back Against the Culture Warriors - Justia Verdict - April 6th, 2022
- Ideology and Disunion - The American Conservative - April 6th, 2022
- Hungarian media freedom is alive and well - Washington Examiner - April 6th, 2022
- PR News | Earth to Jeff: There's Trouble Brewing - Wed., Apr. 6, 2022 - O'Dwyer's PR News - April 6th, 2022
- Why does Twitter think Russian lies are OK but Trump isn't? - The Spectator - April 6th, 2022
- The Saints goal that counted... for the opposition! The odd tale of Brian Walsh - St Kilda FC - April 6th, 2022
- Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, running for a third term, expects education issues to motivate voters in the fall - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - April 6th, 2022
- Did Guy Gibson and his mates go to war in vain? asks ANN WIDDECOMBE - Express - April 6th, 2022
- In a word: Marx Brothers: Absurd, wacky and still relevant - Lewiston Sun Journal - April 6th, 2022
- Disney succumbs to whims of the woke left - Fort Bend Herald - April 6th, 2022
- Kevin Smith Remembers His Best Movie On Its 25th Anniversary - Giant Freakin Robot - April 6th, 2022
- Empire of Asylumdom - The American Conservative - April 6th, 2022
- The War In Ukraine Or 'The Special Military Operation In Ukraine'? Analysis - Eurasia Review - April 6th, 2022
- Putin, the haters White Knight - The Jewish Standard - April 6th, 2022
- How did we get to where political correctness and woke-ness rule in our society? - Paris Post Intelligencer - March 31st, 2022
- Will Smith's Slap Is Political Correctness Taken to Its Logical Conclusion | Opinion - Newsweek - March 31st, 2022
- Letter to the editor | Free to express thoughts | Readers Forum | tribdem.com - TribDem.com - March 31st, 2022
- There is no free-speech right to a university platform - Times Higher Education - March 31st, 2022
- Chris Freind: Open letter to Will Smith: Your worst performance ever - The Delaware County Daily Times - March 31st, 2022
- How The Kashmir Files has caught our bleeding-heart liberals off guard and their lies exposed - Firstpost - March 31st, 2022
- There Will Be No Power Instinct Re-Release on Its 30th Anniversary - Siliconera - March 31st, 2022
- No, America Does Not Have a Free Speech ProblemAt Least, Not the One The New York Timess Editors Imagine - Justia Verdict - March 31st, 2022
- The politics of nothing and the enabling church - Baptist News Global - March 31st, 2022
- If the BBC is cancelling anyone, it's cancelling the Left - The Canary - March 31st, 2022
- Today's letters: Readers comment on the term 'progressives' and the Democratic plan - Daily Commercial - March 31st, 2022
- I refuse to take my kids to the playground after parents were made to sign DISCLAIMERS in case they get... - The Sun - March 31st, 2022
- Ukraine devastation puts 'Partygate' in perspective | Alex Brummer | The Blogs - The Times of Israel - March 31st, 2022
- The culture of nastiness: insults have replaced arguments in political debate - Stuff - March 31st, 2022
- 'Politically incorrect' | Fred Clark - Patheos - March 21st, 2022
- The EU's Shameful Treatment of Poland and Hungary | Opinion - Newsweek - March 21st, 2022
- 'This is the game: you're an employee' - Maverick Viales and political correctness - Motorcycle Sports - March 21st, 2022
- Woke Pat Forde Remains Silent On Lia Thomas Winning A National Title Over His Daughter & Her Olympic Friends - OutKick - March 21st, 2022
- The Indians Are Coming! The Indians Are Coming! - Watson - GoLocalProv - March 21st, 2022
- Why did Jeff Garlin leave The Goldbergs? - GEEKSPIN - March 21st, 2022
- Putin does his best Stalin in threat to 'cleanse' Russia - Fox News - March 21st, 2022
- Florida's racist and anti-LGBTQ bills are already having a chilling effect - The Real News Network - March 21st, 2022
- Suspect in Grisly Mosque Murder Was Obsessed With 'Race War' Group - The Daily Beast - March 21st, 2022
- Theres More Than Just Whats on the Page in Licorice Pizza - The Ringer - March 21st, 2022