In a few hours' time, comedy fans in Sheffield will take to the streets in protest. Their cause? Not Brexit, or climate change, but the decision to ban Roy 'Chubby' Brown from performing a gig in the city.
Chubby, who is not to everyone's taste,is best described as the Norths answer to Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson. An earthy stand-up comic from Middlesbrough,he isperfectly prepared to talk, joke and trade raillery about race, religion and sexuality in a way few other performers are. This week, after 30 years of performing in Sheffield, he was told he is no longer welcome.
Sheffield City Trust, which runs variousleisure sites on the local council's behalf, summarily cancelled a planned performance by him in the citys Oval Hall next year. The reason? The trust'schief executive, Andrew Snelling, said:
'We don't believe this show reflects Sheffield City Trust values.'
For local Labour MP Gill Furniss this was welcome news.'This is the right thing to do. There is no place for any hate filled performance in our diverse and welcoming city,' she said.
But to the councils dismay, few others agreed not least many local residents inSheffield whorather like Chubby. The cancellation spawned a furious popular reaction; 35,000 people have now signed apetitiondemanding Chubby be allowed on stage.
This isn't the first time thatChubby has had showscancelled: performances inAshfield, in Nottinghamshire,back in 2016, and Swansea a couple of years ago, were also called off. Does he deserve this treatment?
Chubbys patter is referred to by his detractors as racist, homophobic and misogynist. But its worth spending a few minutes on YouTube to see what he actually says. There is certainly a never-ending flow of insults, ridicule and profanity; and religion, race and sexuality undoubtedly get their share and more.
But you will hear little, if any, malice, nor are there calls to hate, attack or ostracise anyone. More than anything, Chubby is a highly successful performer because he has a disconcerting ability to see things through his audiences eyes. Forworking-class audiences familiar with thinking, talking and joking about race, sex, sexuality and religion in an entirely unsentimental way with little respect for political correctness, his popularity is hardly a surprise.
True, none of this cuts much ice with progressive intellectuals. But leave such people who are unlikely to be seen dead at a 'Chubby' show anyway to one side. For any ordinary observer, 'Chubby' is just a low if popular comedian, most of whose bons mots you wouldnt be very surprised to hear at the end of a long evening in a lively pub in a down-at-heel area.
Despite the City Trusts expressed high-minded desire to uphold the values of the city of Sheffield, few if any see this comedian as a hate-monger of any kind. And that may well be the real problem. There is a strong suspicion that what drives people to distance themselves from him may be something rather different: namely, good old-fashioned snobbery.
Is the same kind of condescension with which Emily Thornberry viewed 'White Van Man' at work here? In the decision to cancel this show, there certainly seems to be a suggestion that protecting people from entertainers who pander to their low tastes is an obvious priority.
Whatever the cause of the argument against Chubby Brown, he isnt going away. This morninga group of supporters who object to the efforts of the City Trust and local politicians to prevent his appearance will gather outside Sheffield City Hall.
Even if Chubby Browns brand of humour isnt your cup of tea, you may well think Sheffields approach to it even less so. If you do, and you want to strike a blow against petty municipal one-upmanship, then you should back the protest.
Read more here:
- Feehery: The honest contrarian | TheHill - The Hill - November 23rd, 2021
- First thoughts on the new President's Management Agenda - FCW.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Austin Preshko: Enforcing mandate with informants will encourage false reports against those who engage in 'wrong think' - Must Read Alaska - November 23rd, 2021
- Is the legacy of Monty Python being destroyed? - Far Out Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- More Deferential but Also More Political: How Americans' Views of the Military Have Changed Over 20 Years - War on the Rocks - November 23rd, 2021
- Its American History: Its time to face the truth about what critical race theory actually means to the right - East Bay Express - November 23rd, 2021
- Thanksgiving is a holiday dedicated to gratitude and tolerance so the woke have their knives out for it - New York Post - November 23rd, 2021
- The Roustabouts Go for the Gut (Laugh) in 'For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls' - Times of San Diego - November 23rd, 2021
- 10 of the best new release Netflix series available coming in November - The Scotsman - November 23rd, 2021
- Book Spoilers, Sex Jokes and Other Letters to the Editor - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- Opinion | The Woke Student Is Just a Scapegoat - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- We need to get real about Islamist terrorism - Spiked - November 19th, 2021
- The thought police have arrived with 'trigger warning' alarm that goes off at every offensive remark - Telegraph.co.uk - November 19th, 2021
- 'The Sex Lives of College Girls' on HBO Max is a hilarious, sexy treat from Mindy Kaling - Mashable - November 19th, 2021
- An Archconservative Magazine Discovers Afrofuturism at the Met and Is Not Pleased - Hyperallergic - November 19th, 2021
- The Every by Dave Eggers review big tech is watching you - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- 10 of the best Netflix new release series available this November - The Scotsman - November 19th, 2021
- Chinese dissident warns Americans: Youre already in the authoritarian state...you just dont know it - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- 'Legacy American' is the latest catchphrase in the racist lexicon | TheHill - The Hill - November 15th, 2021
- Too sensitive or too ignorant? The rise of political correctness in the US - Mesa Press - November 15th, 2021
- On Kashmir, Literature, and the Shroud of Political Correctness - The Quint - November 15th, 2021
- Despite laundry list of injuries, the Bucs should beat Washington 35-13 on Sunday - Creative Loafing Tampa - November 15th, 2021
- How will Eastern election results affect Utah? |Opinion - Deseret News - November 15th, 2021
- Andrew Sullivan on American political discourse and rescuing conservatism in 2021 - 60 Minutes - CBS News - November 15th, 2021
- AOC's 'Woke' Whine Is Why the Dems Can't Stop Losing - The Daily Beast - November 15th, 2021
- A Look At The Diversity Of Political Ideology In The United States : The NPR Politics Podcast - NPR - November 15th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor Many readers will miss Mallard Fillmore - The Dallas Morning News - November 15th, 2021
- GUEST VIEW: Dictatorial coaching should be in the past - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - November 15th, 2021
- Making the effort to do what is right - The Jackson Sun - November 15th, 2021
- Cape Cod theater reviews: Romance, revelations and a different view of Thanksgiving - Cape Cod Times - November 15th, 2021
- Betsy DeVos to publish Hostages to the Cause, a book on misguided failures of US education system - Yahoo News - November 15th, 2021
- How on earth has Family Guy survived for 20 seasons in the supposed era of political correctness? - The Independent - November 3rd, 2021
- How on earth has Family Guy survived in the era of political correctness? - News Nation USA - November 3rd, 2021
- The Board of Ed Elephant in the Room and Other Passaic Elections Nuggets - InsiderNJ - November 3rd, 2021
- Deadlock at the pump | Opinion | wvnews.com - WV News - November 3rd, 2021
- Shared Loves and Strong Loyalties | R. R. Reno - First Things - November 3rd, 2021
- Larry Summers slams Democrats for failing to tax the wealthy - Salon - November 3rd, 2021
- How the Word 'Woke' Was Co-Opted And Weaponized - WDET - November 3rd, 2021
- The Head-Turning Gesture Donald And Melania Trump Made At The World Series - The List - November 3rd, 2021
- Lowell High, Alison Collins and the Sunset's rage against diversity - San Francisco Chronicle - November 3rd, 2021
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Respectful conversation easy to watch - Odessa American - October 24th, 2021
- Costumes, masks and things that go bump in the night - Cape Cod Times - October 24th, 2021
- Letter: McClaughry: Editor of The Tone Deaf Times - Brattleboro Reformer - October 24th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor, Oct. 22 - Marco News - October 24th, 2021
- Virginias Election Is Breaking the Rules - New York Magazine - October 19th, 2021
- Letters to the editor - Boston Herald - October 19th, 2021
- Ballot proposal would replace he with they in Grand Have n city charter - WOODTV.com - October 19th, 2021
- Dave Chappelle refuses to be cancelled | TheHill - The Hill - October 19th, 2021
- Keep Appreciation for Hispanic Heritage Alive With These Great Books - L.A. Weekly - October 19th, 2021
- History of the World Part 1 is Getting a Sequel - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2021
- AstonRep Theatre Presents GOD OF CARNAGE At The Edge Theater - Broadway World - October 19th, 2021
- Max Gillies talks satire, The Gillies Report and the future of political comedy - ABC News - October 19th, 2021
- 'The Office' Star John Krasinski Once Shared His Favorite Episode of All Time - And It's Pretty Controversial - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 19th, 2021
- Falling all the time Billy Connolly had to move out of New York as Parkinsons worsened - Express - October 19th, 2021
- Political correctness - POLITICO - October 15th, 2021
- Billy Connolly raged at politically correct mob who screwed it for everybody - Daily Express - October 15th, 2021
- PC Halloween: Here are the costumes parents agree no kid should wear while trick-or-treating - Study Finds - October 15th, 2021
- Science is the latest victim of cancel culture - Brunswick News - October 15th, 2021
- Sir Billy Connolly: I'd be cancelled by the woke brigade if I started out in comedy today - The Telegraph - October 15th, 2021
- Krull: Gruden is like other blowhards, lacking in common decency and courtesy - The Herald-Times - October 15th, 2021
- Peter Thiel bets on the far right: Tech tycoon spending millions to bankroll "Trump wing" of GOP - Salon - October 15th, 2021
- Lorraine fans delighted to see Billy Connolly looking so well as he plugs new book amid Parkinsons b... - The Sun - October 15th, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Keep Seattle politics out of rural King County - Woodinville Northwest News - October 15th, 2021
- Back in the Day: This is my 500th Back in the Day column! - Fairfield Daily Republic - October 15th, 2021
- 'Forget the Alamo' Book Trashes Texas' Beloved Origin Myth - The Daily Beast - October 15th, 2021
- 'Cosplay Christianity': The sin is in the denial of the life God calls us to - Religion News Service - October 15th, 2021
- Diversification is the key to success - AV Magazine - October 15th, 2021
- Raila, Ruto must end political intolerance ahead of elections - The Standard - October 15th, 2021
- The Many Feints of The Sopranos - The American Prospect - October 15th, 2021
- Digimon Tamers Stage Play Accused Of Promoting Far Right ... - October 5th, 2021
- British Airways Accused of Political Correctness as it Abolishes Ladies and Gentleman From Onboard Announcements - Paddle Your Own Kanoo - October 5th, 2021
- America needs to get back to honesty, thinking about the group - EH Extra - October 5th, 2021
- Putin has hit us but will lose, says interior minister - The First News - October 5th, 2021
- Alejandro Zaera-Polo has been removed from his faculty position as Princeton continues its row with the former SoA dean - Archinect - October 5th, 2021
- Six Broadway Review: The Real Housewives of Henry VIII Put on a Show - Yahoo Entertainment - October 5th, 2021
- Jon Stewarts Back. Heres Why We Should Care. - POLITICO - October 5th, 2021
- The comedy in Olney's 'Thanksgiving Play' comes with a side of snark - DC Metro Theater Arts - October 5th, 2021
- Scottish theatre company apologises after backlash over 'cancel culture' and political correctness play - The Scotsman - September 29th, 2021
- 11 Examples Of Political Correctness Gone Mad - September 29th, 2021
- COMMENTARY: Woking the Boomer Cache Valley Daily - Cache Valley Daily - September 29th, 2021