You there, fellow American! Were you under the impression that Thanksgiving is the uniquely American holiday that celebrates how English settlers and Native Americans peacefully crossed linguistic, cultural and racial barriers to share a meal together and create a model for gratitude and tolerance that would be the envy of the world?
Wrong! says Woke America. Thanksgiving is about murder, plunder and hate. Invite your relatives over to spread love and gravy? No, if you really want to honor the spirit of Thanksgiving, you should whip yourself with barbed wire all day.
In a Nov. 20 MSNBC segment, The Thanksgiving history youve never heard, Gyasi Ross screams at his audience in a tone of voice suggesting an Oberlin sophomore from the Militant Vegans Brigade: The truth is that pilgrims did not bring turkey, sweet potato pie or cranberries to Thanksgiving. They could not. They were broke! They were broken! Their hands were out! They were begging! They brought nothing of value. But they got fed! They got schooled!
Instead of bringing stuffing and biscuits, those settlers brought genocide and violence. That genocide and violence is still on the menu! And state sponsored violence against Native and black Americans is commonplace!
Ross maniac-on-corner-with-bullhorn rant is a dead giveaway. Its an indication that no matter what event or topic may be at hand Kittens! Candy! The comeback of ABBA! the media will screechingly insist on changing the subject back to the Subject, the only subject anyone is ever supposed to talk about, ever.
Dare to feel good about anything in Americas past, present or future and youre clearly a racist.
Two years ago on MSNBC, Joy Reid informed us that Thanksgiving was problematic. A column in The Philadelphia Tribune on Saturday insisted, Celebrating Thanksgiving is celebrating racist genocide. Except its not. Its like saying going to a NASCAR race amounts to celebrating the 35,000 Americans who get killed in car crashes each year.
In 2017, a Bustle piece on how to do Thanksgiving advised its nervous young female readers to acknowledge the national day of mourning, take time to reflect on lives lost and not use culturally appropriative decorations. You also must avoid any crafts or decorations that feed into the Pilgrim myth. So its appropriation to honor my own freaking culture?
Last week, a macaroni-and-cheese recipe in Eater began with a disclaimer: Thanksgiving traces its origins to an uneasy, temporary alliance between 17th-century English settlers and members of the Wampanoag Confederacy. This year, Eater is choosing to acknowledge that history in our coverage of the holiday.
The Washington Post informs us, Just as Native American activists have demanded the removal of Christopher Columbus statues . . . they have long objected to the popular portrayal of Thanksgiving.
See what they did there? They didnt claim Native Americans in general hate Thanksgiving. Native Americans, who frequently refer to themselves as Indians, reject political correctness. (Ninety percent of them werent offended by the Washington Redskins name before it became a generic Football Team.)
No, only Native American activists are angry about Thanksgiving. In other words, the WaPo went searching for Indians who are angry about Thanksgiving and came back with Indians who are angry about Thanksgiving. Activists are protesters, and protesters, by definition, dont like the things they are protesting. The paper was simply informing us that haters hate stuff.
And hating is a proud American tradition, one of the freedoms we enjoy. Say all the mean things you want, no one can lock you up for it!
But why should the rest of us pay any attention to whatever self-induced trauma wokesters are trying to lay on the rest of us? Theyre like the deranged people I see addressing their demons on the 1 train: The rest of us should just stay away.
Sure, its a fearful time, what with The New York Times publishing insane pieces instructing Turkey Day hosts how to install mandatory COVID testing regimes in their homes and Clueless Kathy, the accidental governor of New York, telling people to be masked and stay six feet apart while they pass around the mashed potatoes. Bring your signal flags to the table or warm up for demented screaming.
Hey, Uncle Ernie!
Do you like the Raiders or the Cowboys today?
I cant hear you, there are 12 people here and youre 72 feet away!
Nope, thats a nonstarter. Far from nixing Thanksgiving, we should multiply its spirit by 365: We should be grateful every day for being Americans.
Read this article:
- And Just Like That, Political Correctness Killed Sex and the City - The Quint - January 9th, 2022
- Just appreciate others' expressions of good will | News, Sports, Jobs - Maui News - January 9th, 2022
- Opinion: The disturbing reality is that millions of Canadians support Trump - The Globe and Mail - January 9th, 2022
- Macron faces right-wing threat as France frets about crime - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2022
- Opinion: Berkeley is named after a slaveholder. It's time to rename the city. - Berkeleyside - January 9th, 2022
- Political compulsions should not limit Thirukural to book of ethics, morality, says TN Governor - The Hindu - January 7th, 2022
- The ugly pursuit of beauty: how traditional architecture has become a battleground for right-wing politicians - Art Newspaper - January 7th, 2022
- France's culture wars are going into the next round - IPS Journal - January 7th, 2022
- Letters to the Editor Wednesday, Jan. 5 The Daily Gazette - The Daily Gazette - January 7th, 2022
- John Whitehead's Commentary: Despotism Is the New Normal: Looming Threats to Freedom in 2022 - Gilmer Mirror - January 7th, 2022
- Local lawmakers who lived through the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol attack reflect on that day - RochesterFirst - January 7th, 2022
- E.O. Wilson had a lifelong passion for ants - The Current GA - January 7th, 2022
- Jeff Garlin Will Still Appear in 'The Goldbergs' After Firing - We Got This Covered - January 7th, 2022
- The Apprentice, BBC1, episode 1, review: A return to the horror of watching LinkedIn come to life - iNews - January 7th, 2022
- Towards a future free from fears of Islamism II - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 7th, 2022
- What's the deal with political correctness? | The big ... - January 3rd, 2022
- China Predicts Hollywood Will 'Dig Its Own Grave' with ... - January 3rd, 2022
- The New Political Cry in South Korea: Out With Man Haters - The New York Times - January 3rd, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Ullr has the reputation of fun and questionable political correctness - Summit Daily - January 3rd, 2022
- Hero: Chris James, the Canadian Comedian Triggering Right-Wing Talk Radio Hosts Mother Jones - Mother Jones - January 3rd, 2022
- Californias Housing Costs Threaten The States Future - Forbes - January 3rd, 2022
- Please get the vaccine. And try to understand those who won't. - Bowling Green Daily News - January 3rd, 2022
- E.O. Wilson's lifelong passion for ants helped him teach humans about how to live sustainably with nature - Longview News-Journal - January 3rd, 2022
- Golf's memorable moments in 2021 certain to have impact on future - usatoday.com - January 3rd, 2022
- Religious persecution on the rise in 2021 amid signs of hope - Vatican News - January 3rd, 2022
- How I Met Your Mother Main Characters Ranked By Likeability - The Nerd Stash - January 3rd, 2022
- 'And Just Like That': Was Cynthia Nixon behind panned super woke reboot of SATC? - MEAWW - January 3rd, 2022
- Cobra Kai has a major problem that needs to be fixed - digitalspy.com - January 3rd, 2022
- We must save it! Outcry as EU chief 'cancels' Christmas amid fears it could offend - Daily Express - December 22nd, 2021
- It's Time To Defund The Speech Police - The Federalist - December 22nd, 2021
- Fernando Del Pino Calvo-Sotelo: 'We Are Witnessing The Mother Of All Bubbles' (Part II) Interview - Eurasia Review - December 22nd, 2021
- Henderson: These days, Americans going where theyre treated best - Boston Herald - December 22nd, 2021
- How Brad Pitt is feeling on 58th birthday amid never-ending custody battle with Angelina Jolie, more news - Wonderwall - December 22nd, 2021
- The Second Great Age of Political Correctness - Reason - December 17th, 2021
- Sarah Silverman Is Worried Liberals Are Losing Their Way - UPROXX - December 17th, 2021
- Raab to claim overhaul of human rights law will counter political correctness - The Guardian - December 17th, 2021
- Waiting for Harriet Tubman to appear on U.S. currency - Richmond Free Press - December 17th, 2021
- Places across the Keys to ring in 2022 - Key West Florida Weekly - December 17th, 2021
- Boris Johnson is incoherent, he flip flops from day to day and his measures are contradictory... - The US Sun - December 17th, 2021
- This man lives in the paranoid alternate universe of Fox News so you don't have to - Salon - December 17th, 2021
- In Biden's America, Americans Should Go Where They're Treated Best InsideSources - InsideSources - December 17th, 2021
- Reaganism and Roe v. Wade (letter) | Letters To The Editor | lancasteronline.com - LNP | LancasterOnline - December 17th, 2021
- Levity and laughter for leaders: Why we still need a sense of humor in the workplace - The San Diego Union-Tribune - December 17th, 2021
- The uny filling the ranks of Raisi's hard-line regime - Asia Times - December 17th, 2021
- Feehery: The honest contrarian | TheHill - The Hill - November 23rd, 2021
- First thoughts on the new President's Management Agenda - FCW.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Austin Preshko: Enforcing mandate with informants will encourage false reports against those who engage in 'wrong think' - Must Read Alaska - November 23rd, 2021
- Is the legacy of Monty Python being destroyed? - Far Out Magazine - November 23rd, 2021
- More Deferential but Also More Political: How Americans' Views of the Military Have Changed Over 20 Years - War on the Rocks - November 23rd, 2021
- Its American History: Its time to face the truth about what critical race theory actually means to the right - East Bay Express - November 23rd, 2021
- The Roustabouts Go for the Gut (Laugh) in 'For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls' - Times of San Diego - November 23rd, 2021
- 10 of the best new release Netflix series available coming in November - The Scotsman - November 23rd, 2021
- Book Spoilers, Sex Jokes and Other Letters to the Editor - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- Opinion | The Woke Student Is Just a Scapegoat - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- We need to get real about Islamist terrorism - Spiked - November 19th, 2021
- The thought police have arrived with 'trigger warning' alarm that goes off at every offensive remark - Telegraph.co.uk - November 19th, 2021
- 'The Sex Lives of College Girls' on HBO Max is a hilarious, sexy treat from Mindy Kaling - Mashable - November 19th, 2021
- An Archconservative Magazine Discovers Afrofuturism at the Met and Is Not Pleased - Hyperallergic - November 19th, 2021
- The Every by Dave Eggers review big tech is watching you - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- 10 of the best Netflix new release series available this November - The Scotsman - November 19th, 2021
- Chinese dissident warns Americans: Youre already in the authoritarian state...you just dont know it - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- 'Legacy American' is the latest catchphrase in the racist lexicon | TheHill - The Hill - November 15th, 2021
- Too sensitive or too ignorant? The rise of political correctness in the US - Mesa Press - November 15th, 2021
- On Kashmir, Literature, and the Shroud of Political Correctness - The Quint - November 15th, 2021
- Despite laundry list of injuries, the Bucs should beat Washington 35-13 on Sunday - Creative Loafing Tampa - November 15th, 2021
- How will Eastern election results affect Utah? |Opinion - Deseret News - November 15th, 2021
- Andrew Sullivan on American political discourse and rescuing conservatism in 2021 - 60 Minutes - CBS News - November 15th, 2021
- AOC's 'Woke' Whine Is Why the Dems Can't Stop Losing - The Daily Beast - November 15th, 2021
- A Look At The Diversity Of Political Ideology In The United States : The NPR Politics Podcast - NPR - November 15th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor Many readers will miss Mallard Fillmore - The Dallas Morning News - November 15th, 2021
- GUEST VIEW: Dictatorial coaching should be in the past - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - November 15th, 2021
- Making the effort to do what is right - The Jackson Sun - November 15th, 2021
- Cape Cod theater reviews: Romance, revelations and a different view of Thanksgiving - Cape Cod Times - November 15th, 2021
- Betsy DeVos to publish Hostages to the Cause, a book on misguided failures of US education system - Yahoo News - November 15th, 2021
- How on earth has Family Guy survived for 20 seasons in the supposed era of political correctness? - The Independent - November 3rd, 2021
- How on earth has Family Guy survived in the era of political correctness? - News Nation USA - November 3rd, 2021
- The Board of Ed Elephant in the Room and Other Passaic Elections Nuggets - InsiderNJ - November 3rd, 2021
- Deadlock at the pump | Opinion | wvnews.com - WV News - November 3rd, 2021
- Shared Loves and Strong Loyalties | R. R. Reno - First Things - November 3rd, 2021
- Larry Summers slams Democrats for failing to tax the wealthy - Salon - November 3rd, 2021