NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Vladimir Putin this week called for the "purification" of the motherland, urging his fellow Russians to spit out like gnats those who dare oppose him. If Putins war crimes against the Ukrainian people were not enough, this chilling speech should convince his remaining fans to look elsewhere for a savior.
The Russian president took to the airwaves of Russia on Wednesday a bitter, and possibly beaten, man. Hunched over his microphone, he unleashed a tirade the likes of which has not been heard in Europe since Hitler or Stalin. Maudlin in parts, vengeful in others, the Russian tyrant played the last card left to him, that of an emotionally unhinged national savior.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed into law legislation that could punish journalists with up to 15 years in prison for reporting so-called "fake" news about his military invasion of Ukraine. (Yuri Kochetkov/Pool)
"The Russian people will always be able to distinguish true patriots from scum and traitors and simply spit them out like a fly that accidentally flew into their mouths," Putinsnarled. "I am convinced that such a natural and necessary self-purification of society will only strengthen our country, our solidarity, cohesion and readiness to respond to any challenges."
RUSSIA INVADES UKRAINE: LIVE UPDATES
It was the darkest in a series of increasingly dark speeches the would-be Slavic Fhrer has given since he invaded Ukraine without cause and started shelling civilians indiscriminately, unleashing what someWestern leaders sayare war crimes. His outburst has demonstrated to many that his invasion of the much-smaller neighbor may not be going as well for him on the battlefield as he had planned, as a united Ukraine rises to rebuff the invading Russians.
The world must turn from Putin now, no matter what he does from this point on, even if he abandons Ukraine immediately and lets all the nations he has invaded since coming to powerGeorgia, Moldova, and of course, Ukrainelive in peace. We know from the experience that appeasement begets only more global carnage.
PUTIN LIKENS OPPONENTS TO 'GNATS,' SIGNALING NEW REPRESSION
Putins speech veered from audience to audience. At times, it seemed aimed at everyday Russians, threatening them not to protest his war. At others, he directed himself at the West and those of his countrymen who may want Russia to become more like the West.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov looks on as he gives an annual press conference on Russian diplomacy in 2021, in Moscow on January 14, 2022. (Photo by DIMITAR DILKOFF/AFP via Getty Images)
"The West will try to rely on the so-called fifth column, on national traitors, on those who earn money here with us but live there. And I mean 'live there' not even in the geographical sense of the word, but according to their thoughts, their slavish consciousness," Putinsaid. "Such people, who by their very nature are mentally located there and not here, are not with our people, not with Russia."
CLICK HERE TO GET THE OPINION NEWSLETTER
As always, Putin displayed an eerie understanding of the Wests weak points, mocking Russians who oppose his bloody invasion of neighboring Ukraine as people who "cannot live without oysters and gender freedom."
Such salvosappealing to Russian values and denigrating of Western wokenessare strategic, and not just for domestic consumption. Amplified by his propaganda apparatus in the West, such as Sputnik Radio and RT media platforms, they have earned the Russian dictator misguided supporters in the West. One well-known example is the French presidential candidate Eric Zemmour, whohas describedPutin as the "last resistance fighter against the storm of political correctness."
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Leftists, too, have bought Russias attacks on the West, or at least welcomed his money. In France itself, the communist leader Jean-Luc Melenchonhas saidthat Putins Russia is "not an enemy," and that the United States must stop trying to "annex Ukraine to NATO." In Spain, too, the communist Podemos party, a member of the ruling coalition,has stopped the shipmentof weapons to the Ukrainians.
Now that Putin has demonstrated himself to be this unhinged, perhaps the extremists he has bought in the West will start looking for a new lodestar or money bag.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM MIKE GONZALEZ
- Reviving The Lost Art of Forgiveness - Forbes - June 15th, 2022
- Inside Krakens Culture War Stoked by Its C.E.O. - The New York Times - June 15th, 2022
- Long Island Rep. Tom Suozzi runs as a tax-slashing centrist in bid to topple Hochul in NY governor's race - New York Daily News - June 15th, 2022
- Deep in the Heart of Beavis & Butt-Head - Texas Monthly - June 15th, 2022
- A prominent part of the Jan. 6 hearings, right-wing groups like Proud Boys seek to build a white nation - The Fayetteville Observer - June 15th, 2022
- Kelly Reilly (Yellowstone): Beth Dutton is a fearless thunderstorm of a woman and a once in a lifetime role [Exclusive Video Interview] - Gold Derby - June 15th, 2022
- We Have Become Lonely and Our Relationships Increasingly Toxic: What Has Happened to Us? - Digital Journal - June 15th, 2022
- 50 years of jokes and tricks at Waukesha's Jest For Fun Joke Shop - Greater Milwaukee Today | GMToday.com - June 15th, 2022
- Tampa Bay Rays decry 31 killed in Buffalo and Uvalde what about 40,000 in Chicago? - The Hill - June 15th, 2022
- Father of the Bride Film Review: Latino Specificity Makes This Remake Feel Like an Original - Yahoo Entertainment - June 15th, 2022
- Halftime review: Jennifer Lopez asks Hollywood for her long overdue standing ovation in rousing, effective documentary - Entertainment News ,... - June 15th, 2022
- Will the Colombian Trump win the presidency? - GZERO Media - June 15th, 2022
- Prevent and the problem of 'political correctness' - The Spectator - June 11th, 2022
- The overuse and misuse of politically incorrect speech - The Michigan Daily - June 11th, 2022
- Patriotism in 2022: Red hot anger, White rage and a blue-streak Daily Montanan - Daily Montanan - June 11th, 2022
- Voters in SF and LA voice their disgust - CalMatters - June 11th, 2022
- The Real Goal of the January 6th Committee - The National Interest Online - June 11th, 2022
- Thought Crimes: the Shameful Undemocratic Wilding of Contrary Opinion - Fair Observer - June 11th, 2022
- THE SELF-TAUGHT GARDENER: Immigration policy and the moth formerly known as gypsy - theberkshireedge.com - June 11th, 2022
- Perspective: What can we do after Uvalde? And will we do anything? - Northern Public Radio (WNIJ) - June 11th, 2022
- Bill Maher Thinks Republicans Will 'Steal' Pot Legalization - High Times - June 11th, 2022
- What the New York Times Won't Admit About California - City Watch - June 11th, 2022
- Discriminating tastes: Why academia must tackle its "race science" problem - Salon - June 11th, 2022
- John Waters on Divine, Drag Kings and Political Correctness - AnOther Magazine - June 3rd, 2022
- Ukraine, time to rise and strike! - The Riverdale Press - June 3rd, 2022
- Don of a new era: the rise of Peter Thiel as a US rightwing power player - The Guardian - June 3rd, 2022
- Russia using disinformation to stir hostility between Ukrainians and Poles, warn security services - Notes From Poland - June 3rd, 2022
- Book review: Damodar Mauzos The Wait And Other Stories feel like an oven baked snack - Art-and-culture News , Firstpost - Firstpost - June 3rd, 2022
- The Boys Season 3 Review: Preparing to Bust a Cap - Superherohype.com - June 3rd, 2022
- Why today's debates over Aurangzeb, Shivaji, Rana Pratap or Prithviraj Chauhan are not about good or bad history, but tussles over memory - The Indian... - June 3rd, 2022
- There Are No Saints - Film Threat - June 3rd, 2022
- Reaction to new name for Fort Bragg mixed among veterans, activists - Up & Coming Weekly - June 3rd, 2022
- San Diego County Sheriff's candidates share their views - The San Diego Union-Tribune - June 3rd, 2022
- Opinion | Gun Violence Is Like What Segregation Was. An Unaddressed Moral Stain. - The New York Times - June 3rd, 2022
- The growing attacks on cops and other commentary - New York Post - May 11th, 2022
- 30 Helens Agree Amazons Kids in the Hall Revival Is Hilarious: Review - Consequence - May 11th, 2022
- Parents are 'sleeping giants' who will fix American education - Fox News - May 11th, 2022
- Abortions and the pendulum - Kathimerini English Edition - May 11th, 2022
- Labour may think its moving on, but working-class voters arent following - The Guardian - May 11th, 2022
- Grace Hyland says she 'hates' being politicised as the transgender community is 'the antithesis of a political issue' - 9Honey - May 11th, 2022
- The Cathedral Vs. The Orthodox Church - The American Conservative - May 11th, 2022
- Chadar At Ajmer Sharif And Praises On Prithviraj Chauhan Cannot Go Hand-In-Hand; Chishti Blessed Ghori To Defeat Prithviraj, As Per His Biography -... - May 11th, 2022
- The Name "Indian" and Political Correctness | HuffPost ... - May 3rd, 2022
- PCU (film) - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2022
- Reading between the lines of "1984" in 2022 | Opinion | morgancountycitizen.com - Morgan County Citizen - May 3rd, 2022
- Why 2022 is the worst year for anniversaries - TheArticle - May 3rd, 2022
- ITV DI Ray fans left divided about show but all in agreement on one thing - Birmingham Live - May 3rd, 2022
- Republicans making critical gains among Hispanic and non-White voters ahead of 2022 election - Washington Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Bell: Kenney government wants hands off old John A. - Calgary Sun - May 3rd, 2022
- Parapsychologists, sects and secret services: Remembering the most tense chess game in history - EL PAS in English - May 3rd, 2022
- Austin Powers: 10 things you didn't know about the landmark '90s comedy - Tilt Magazine - May 3rd, 2022
- Kerr: GOP's 'stokeism' is replacing substance with the surreal - Seacoastonline.com - May 3rd, 2022
- POTUS Broadway Review: The President Cant Be Held Responsible for This Mess - Yahoo Entertainment - May 3rd, 2022
- Letter To The Editor: A Response to the OpEd 3/21 The Reed College Quest - The Reed College Quest - April 15th, 2022
- Bill Maher's #Adulting and Comedians' Obsession With Haters - TIME - April 15th, 2022
- Replacing Human Rights Act will weaken protections, say peers and MPs - The Guardian - April 15th, 2022
- Elon Musk, Twitter, and the Politics of Disruption - The Bulwark - April 15th, 2022
- Slave Coin Or Freedom Coin: Which Way Western Man? - Bitcoin Magazine - April 15th, 2022
- Another Trump hate rally: The threats get worse, and polite America turns away - Salon - April 15th, 2022
- Comedy Is More Dangerous Because Of Will Smith: DL Hughley Weighs In On The Consequences Of The Slap (Video) - Radio Facts - April 15th, 2022
- Oingo Boingo little Girls Song Controversy, Meaning Of Little Girls And Still The Creepiest Music Video Of All Time? - The Current - April 15th, 2022
- Seth McFarlane's 'Ted' Series Announces Its Main Cast - We Got This Covered - April 15th, 2022
- The abortion culture and atrocity in Ukraine - The Christian Post - April 15th, 2022
- No, Russian artists have not been cancelled - The Indian Express - April 15th, 2022
- S N Balagangadhara Interview Part IV: There Is Intellectual Poverty In Islamised Regions; India May Be Headed The Same Way If It Does Not Watch Out. -... - April 15th, 2022
- The Problem with Political Correctness Life Lessons - April 9th, 2022
- Has political correctness gone too far? | The Economist - April 9th, 2022
- 'Politically Correct': The Phrase Has Gone From Wisdom To ... - April 9th, 2022
- Political Correctness Run Amok - The Post & Email - April 9th, 2022
- Is Real Time with Bill Maher new tonight, April 8? - Last Night On - April 9th, 2022
- The futility of framing one another as progressives and evangelicals, devils and dummies - Baptist News Global - April 9th, 2022
- "The Real World of College: What Higher Education Is and What It Can Be" - Public Radio Tulsa - April 9th, 2022
- Oreos Gone Woke: Is Nothing Off Limits to LGBT Left? - Daily Signal - April 9th, 2022
- Political Correctness - Munk Debates - April 6th, 2022
- Today's letters: Readers comment on the one-party system and school lunches - Daily Commercial - April 6th, 2022
- The Oral History of PCU, the Culture Wars Cult Classic - VICE - April 6th, 2022
- So-Called Cancel Culture Is a Vacant Concept, So It Can Be Turned Back Against the Culture Warriors - Justia Verdict - April 6th, 2022
- Ideology and Disunion - The American Conservative - April 6th, 2022
- Hungarian media freedom is alive and well - Washington Examiner - April 6th, 2022
- PR News | Earth to Jeff: There's Trouble Brewing - Wed., Apr. 6, 2022 - O'Dwyer's PR News - April 6th, 2022